PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Green Peppers

BabushkaLady
10th November 2011, 07:04 PM
Green peppers are one of my favorite vegetables to freeze whole and use later.

I usually wash, core and remove the seeds. I tray freeze them whole and then vacuum pack when they're solid so they don't squosh down.

I pull out a bag of peppers and get creative. Here's some of my creations . . . always trying to use food from the panty or preps.

Cook some rice in chicken stock and add sliced mushrooms, nuts, diced yellow squash, onions and garlic. Stuff into peppers and bake.

Cook up rice-a-roni's redbeans and rice, add some diced kielbasa and onions. Stuff into peppers and bake. (I've also varied this using blackened shrimp for a Cajun flavor)

Make a meat mixture with venison and italian sausage, add rice, diced onion, garlic, s & p, touch of bread crumbs and one egg. Stuff and cover casserole with tomato sauce. Add some Parm cheese on the tops!

What do you stuff into your peppers?

Dogman
10th November 2011, 07:07 PM
One of my family's all time favorites is to use corned beef hash as the filling!

BabushkaLady
12th November 2011, 09:27 PM
Sounds good Dogman! Do you use homemade or store bought? What else goes in it? I'd be tempted to top it with bacon for crunch.

Dogman
13th November 2011, 03:59 AM
Sounds good Dogman! Do you use homemade or store bought? What else goes in it? I'd be tempted to top it with bacon for crunch.

Mostly canned, surfine brand or others. Some rare times homemade is used. But for some reason the canned is the favorite stuffing used.

And as far as add-ons , not really. The peppers and hash are enough alone with the other food that makes the meal. I love the peppers cooked that way. And I will clean all other plates on the table of any uneaten peppers. (I am shameless)

Very easy meal, core the peppers plus can opener. Oven baked until done (1 hour at 375) or better yet Crockpot , even if the smell cooking makes me super hungry for them and want too impatiently gnaw on everything in sight.

Good Stuff!