PDA

View Full Version : County Assessor ... A Fiduciary

palani
14th November 2011, 06:22 AM
I had a go around with the county assessor several months ago. Seems they thought that the value of some commercial property I am charged with managing had gone up 20% and they seem to expect that the 2012 tax bill would be higher as a result.

I replied that I thought the value of the property had remained the same but that the lower value of the U.S. dollar had resulted in their "perceived" increase. I also told them I could not recall authorizing them to set the property value and asked them to provide some memorandum that indicated my consent to this situation. I received no response.

Talking with other it seems the post office building in the same town had increased 100% in value and the nursing home was also seeing a much higher valuation.

Now several weeks ago the county paper has come out with a front page article indicating this county has seen the only REDUCTION in commercial valuations in all of the counties comprising the state.

So I have had a chance to reflect upon the situation. If the county provides me with a bill that indicates that this particular property owes LESS in taxes resulting from this lower valuation and I pay the amount indicated upon this reduced bill then I would appear to have recognized their authority to set the property valuation and if they can reduce the value for that year then they are also authorized to INCREASE the value later on.

So the strategy? Even if the bill comes in at less for 2012 I would have to pay the same as last year. If I don't I have conceded their authority to set the value.

Just a heads up. You set the conditions you will accept. Deviate from those conditions in any way to your disadvantage. (Or maybe I am just paranoid).

Ponce
14th November 2011, 09:23 AM
Back in 2007 the value of my land (not including the buildings) went up $40,000 in one year, I went to see the tax man and asked why and he told me that it was because my land is "very desirable"........I told hime that I would be willing to knock off $40,000 of my whold property if he would buy it now.....he didn't know what to say...................... lucky for me me that does not mean that my tax would had gone up, it goes up only 3% per year........this year the tax came down from $587.00 to $571.00... and now the assest value of my whole property is $65,0000............I paid $100,000 when I bought it and added another $75,000 in renovations.

First post of the day..............good morning to one and all.

palani
14th November 2011, 11:14 AM
I told hime that I would be willing to knock off $40,000 of my whold property if he would buy it now.....he didn't know what to say...........

You made a counter offer (of sorts).

He didn't know what to tell you because in his mind he already OWNS your property. You are just the tennant and you are dickering over the amount your will pay the legal owner in rent annually. Miss a payment and you will be out on your tail. If you were the legal owner it would take a nuke to displace you.

Ponce
14th November 2011, 11:47 AM
The same thing applys to those who thinks that America is their country......they are only people who happens to live on US soil and nothing more.........if the US was really their country they would not be paying taxes, accepting the Federal Reserve, keeping Obama in power, taking the Zionis "Jews" as their master........and a lot more........the only problem is that you cannot make a "counter" offer......you are stuck here for good.

palani
14th November 2011, 01:58 PM
The same thing applys to those who thinks that America is their country

I asked a black guy once what his nationality was. He looked at me as if he thought I was insane. "I am black" he said. I told him there had never been a nation "Black" in the history of mankind.

A U.S. citizen (American nationality) is stateless by definition.

Ponce
14th November 2011, 02:20 PM
LOL Palani, one of them told me one time that he was a Afro-American, I then asked him from what part of Africa he came from and his face went blank........ I then asked him from what part of Africa did the head hunters came from and he told me that from the Congo.............. hahahahahaahah head hunters comes only from Samerica, the Amazons.

palani
14th November 2011, 02:44 PM
Good approach.

The benefit of the 14th amendment was created by the United States for the benefit of certain ex-slaves who were not being accepted by certain southern states. That makes these ex-slaves stateless until the 14th amendment was passed and blanket citizenship conferred. However, there is no sovereignty or statehood in a federation. The United States is not itself a state and being attached to it as a "citizen" does not attach a state to the individual. Cite courtesy of palani, November, 2012. You need look for no higher authority on this subject.

Spectrism
19th November 2011, 06:28 AM
LOL Palani, one of them told me one time that he was a Afro-American, I then asked him from what part of Africa he came from and his face went blank........ I then asked him from what part of Africa did the head hunters came from and he told me that from the Congo.............. hahahahahaahah head hunters comes only from Samerica, the Amazons.

He probably thought you meant the brain-sucking, head-bashing type head hunters.

BTW- I am an African-American.

Uncle Salty
19th November 2011, 11:12 AM
So the strategy? Even if the bill comes in at less for 2012 I would have to pay the same as last year. If I don't I have conceded their authority to set the value.

Haven't you already consented and conceded to their authority to set a value by paying any bill they presented to you? The first time you paid the bill, you acknowledged they have the authority to bill you and you consented to pay it. Once you consented to the first payment, haven't you conceded to their authority? And once conceded, why couldn't they then change the amount? You volunteered into a system that regularly changes the value of the bill.

Just curious.

palani
19th November 2011, 11:34 AM
Haven't you already consented and conceded to their authority to set a value by paying any bill they presented to you? I am only a manager. The property belongs to another "entity". They most certainly entered into a contract with the county somewhere along the way. The terms of the contract are entirely nebulous as there is no memorandum of precisely WHAT was agreed to.

The first time you paid the bill, you acknowledged they have the authority to bill you and you consented to pay it. Once you consented to the first payment, haven't you conceded to their authority? Consenting to pay one bill means you consented to pay one bill. Nothing more.

And once conceded, why couldn't they then change the amount? You volunteered into a system that regularly changes the value of the bill. Again. Not me. The entity for whom I manage the property.

Contracts are fluid. They change all the time (or they can). All those legal notices you see in the newspaper ... those are contract offers. Every one of them. No exceptions. They are your notice and if you choose to go silent then you are subject to the terms of the notice. In this case I chose to send in a counter-offer to cancel their proposal and replace it with mine.

I could (as an example) establish a silver bond for the entity that owns the property (an equitable owner ... the legal owner is the county). Notarize it, record it and send it in to the county as an offer ... should they be able to meet the conditions set in the bond. This could be said to stand as a novation for any debt owed by this entity to the county.

The offer to pay frequently stands in place of the actual payment.

The topic of this thread could be "Fun With Contracts 101"

Uncle Salty
20th November 2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks palani!