PDA

View Full Version : Frying Onions Properly - I think Patience Helps.

gunDriller
15th November 2011, 01:00 PM
I have been trying to cook onions in the frying pan. It takes a long time. If I have then on high heat they burn.

I use low heat, cooking in bacon grease. They've been cooking for an hour. Almost done.

Worth the wait, but I wonder, What's the secret - using high heat & stirring them ? My guess is, all those Philly cheese-steak places don't wait an hour for decent onions.

BabushkaLady
15th November 2011, 01:44 PM
An Hour? I'd starve!!

Are you putting too many in the pan? You want a big enough pan so they aren't on top of each other and competing for heat. Yes you need to stir them so they don't burn.

I usually cut then lengthwise with the grain into long slices, not in ring format. Medium heat with a 9-inch pan usually only takes about 15 minutes for me.

Celtic Rogue
15th November 2011, 02:06 PM
try covering the pan ... that will speed up the cooking time.

StreetsOfGold
15th November 2011, 05:05 PM
try covering the pan ... that will speed up the cooking time.

yes and LOW heat. They always come out perfect for me with I do these 2 things

Heimdhal
15th November 2011, 05:55 PM
an hour is much too much. You're putting too many onions in the pan at a time. It really shouldnt take more than some minutes, certainly not an hour, to get good carmalized onions.

You also may be over stirring. You dont need super low heat, certainly not high, medium low ought to do it just fine. Also wait until your cooking medium (bacon grease in this case) is the right temperature as well as the pan, starting in a cold pan in cold grease will make it take that muhc longer.

Glass
15th November 2011, 06:38 PM
I think the secret, like a lot of tasty food is to double cook. A friend of mine is adamant that you cook your onions the day before and then reheat/cook them before serviing.

Onions are a big part of the aussie BBQ and I find onions are either underdone or burnt to a crisp. So cook em up the day before, stick them in the fridge and then throw them back on the hot plate before serving. This is also supposed to get rid of the bitter taste of onions. I'm not sure what that bitter taste is but other people tell me it's there.

Sorry no good if you're struggling with 1 hour... this might take a bit longer to prep.

Sparky
15th November 2011, 09:04 PM
The trick is to go from raw to cooked to browned, rather than trying to go from raw to browned.

Covered, cook them low for 5-6 minutes to soften them up, then on high for 1 minute to brown. Turn the heat down, wait a couple of minutes, uncover, stir, cover, and heat on high for one more minute. Turn the heat off and leave them covered for a few minutes. Uncover and stir.

I've been cooking in olive oil, but have just learned that it's best to use canola oil, which doesn't break down in high heat.

gunDriller
16th November 2011, 11:25 AM
i got a 1x12 from the lumber area and it is a little wet and still remarkably flat. it's about 11 1/2" wide and the frying pan is about 12" wide so there's 2 tiny little slivers of 'air' but other than that it's covered.

anyway, it's cooking up. or down. whichever ;)

thanks for the cooking tips & education !

i think the cover helps them cook without drying out, so you can cook at a higher heat without getting the blackened onion result.

MNeagle
16th November 2011, 11:31 AM
i got a 1x12 from the lumber area and it is a little wet and still remarkably flat. it's about 11 1/2" wide and the frying pan is about 12" wide so there's 2 tiny little slivers of 'air' but other than that it's covered.

anyway, it's cooking up. or down. whichever ;)

thanks for the cooking tips & education !

i think the cover helps them cook without drying out, so you can cook at a higher heat without getting the blackened onion result.

You're using wood to cover your pan?? NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! no, no, no!!

Until you can get a non-flammable lid, use foil in the meantime. But PLEASE do not use wood! Or plastic! Or anything flammable, please!!!

Check thrift shops for a lid, they always have 'orphans'; lids w/ no pans, etc.

Dogman
16th November 2011, 11:35 AM

Until you can get a non-flammable lid, use foil in the meantime. But PLEASE do not use wood! Or plastic! Or anything flammable, please!!!

Check thrift shops for a lid, they always have 'orphans'; lids w/ no pans, etc. Heed her advice or you will not only be browning or burning onions!

Edit: Keep a box or two of baking soda near where you cook. If or when you have a fire, use it too put it out with.

DO NOT USE WATER ON A STOVE GREASE FIRE!

Major No NO!

Edit: Same apply's with a fire in an oven, Do not use water! You can break the glass and also have a major steam flash!

mightymanx
16th November 2011, 11:37 AM
I use a dinner plate or the lid to my stockpot.

Research woodgas and understand why heating wood to sub flame is a bad idea.

undgrd
16th November 2011, 11:40 AM
If that is pressure treated wood, THROW THE ONIONS AND PAN OUT!!!!

gunDriller
17th November 2011, 07:49 AM
If that is pressure treated wood, THROW THE ONIONS AND PAN OUT!!!!

it's a 1x12 pine, not plywood. pretty sure it's not pressure treated, just regular old cheapo pine.

but i hear they invented this stuff called aluminum foil. and i may even have some ! i'll use that till i find a good top.

MNeagle
17th November 2011, 07:52 AM

Check thrift shops for a lid, they always have 'orphans'; lids w/ no pans, etc.

Seems this was overlooked the first round.