PDA

View Full Version : One Difference Between Legal Ownership and Equitable Ownership

palani
15th November 2011, 04:17 PM
Local guy was speaking this last weekend. He had had an accident several months ago and had received a bill from county emergency services for several grand. He sent the bill back.

Next comes a registered letter. He refused it and it was sent back unopened.

Finally, along comes a deputy sheriff to personally serve him with the bill. He accepts it. Waits a couple days, drafts a letter and brings the bill and the letter in to lay on the county attorney (no payment).

In the letter he identifies himself as the "equitable owner" of the vehicle in question and the county as the "legal owner". He states that he has delivered the bill to the legal owner for settlement.

Hasn't heard a word from them since.

They cannot have it both ways. If government owns the property then they get to stand for at least some of the bills. What are they going to do? Take him to court and describe the system of property ownership and trusts that have been set up?

Also of note. Georgia has made vehicle registration and drivers licenses optional. I have not tracked down the legislation yet so this remains a rumor. If true though expect some action from more states (or expect carpetbaggers to return to Georgia, one or t'other).

midnight rambler
15th November 2011, 07:13 PM
I recall a Georgia state legislator had introduced a bill making a DRIVER LICENSE optional, but I don't recall that going anywhere. He was on the right track.

The 'registration' issue would be a completely different bill in the state lege, and I really don't see that going anywhere under the current scheme of state induced mass hysteria.