PDA

View Full Version : You can't buy that lime... it could be classed as a weapon.

Ponce
24th November 2011, 10:59 PM
You can't buy that lime... it could be classed as a weapon.

Shock for chef shopping at Asda'They vetted me and let me buy them. I clearly don't look like I'm going to carry out a drive-by fruiting any time soon'

Store to offer 'complimentary limes' as an apology
By Nadia Gilani

Last updated at 8:19 AM on 21st November 2011

Comments (360) Share
A chef was stunned to find she was almost banned from buying two limes from a supermarket - because they could be classed as a weapon.

Marisa Zoccolan, 31, popped into the new Asda supermarket close to her home in Wallsend, North Tyneside, to pick up some groceries, including the citrus fruits.

But when she tried to pay for them at the self-service checkout, the message 'amount exceeded, authorisation required' flashed up.

Two limes? That's one too many: Marisa Zoccolan, pictured with the two limes she was almost forbidden from buying
An assistant then came over and told her that more than one lime was deemed a weapon - because the citric acid could be squirted in someone's eye.

Marisa, a self-employed caterer said: 'I thought they were taking the pip, but the assistant told me the same applied to lemons.

More...'Please eat more slowly': NHS introduces £1,500 talking plate which warns fat families about their eating habits
'David Cameron the milk snatcher': Government plan to slash school milk budget

'I've heard of supermarkets banning people from buying things before, but this is just crazy.

'I scanned the first lime and put it in the bag, scanned the second but then the 'amount exceeded' message came up on the screen.

'The assistant came over and tried to authorise it but the same message flashed up, so she went away to speak to someone higher up.

'I thought she was having a laugh when she came back and told me more than one lime is classed as a weapon.

'I asked her why. Was it because they can be thrown?

Eventually staff at the supermarket allowed Marisa to buy both limes
'But no, it's because they contain citric acid which could be squirted in someone's eyes. How ridiculous is that?'
Thankfully for Ms Zoccalan, who lives with partner Jacqui Nicholson, 37, and dog Doobie, the assistant allowed Marisa to eventually buy both of the fruits.

'Yes, they vetted me and let me buy them.

'I clearly don't look like I'm going to carry out a drive-by fruiting any time soon.

'If that citric acid rule applies to lemons and limes, it must apply to grapefruits as well.

'Maybe oranges are safer because they're less acidic?'

A spokeswoman for Asda said Ms Zoccalan would be offered some 'complimentary limes' as an apology.

'We know that sometimes health and safety rules can seem a bit plum crazy, but on this occasion it's a case of one of our colleagues indulging their sub-lime sense of humour,' she said.

'For some reason our tills are having trouble scanning multiple citrus fruits.

'We're working to fix the problem, but it seems our colleague tried to make
light of the issue.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063954/Asda-tell-chef-You-buy-lime--classed-weapon.html#ixzz1egbKBTRJ

TheNocturnalEgyptian
25th November 2011, 10:11 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are creative enough, any object can be turned into a weapon.

Twisted Titan
25th November 2011, 01:16 PM
The more corrupt the State......the more numerous the laws.

Tacitus

Ponce
25th November 2011, 01:23 PM
The less laws that you have, the more free that you are.............. in the old days laws were made to protect you but now days they are made to control you.................every time that you break a "law" you are creating your own laws.

To me the Bible and the laws are the same........you don't need either one in order to know what is right and what is wrong.

osoab
25th November 2011, 04:53 PM
It's nice to see stores giving possible self defense ideas to their customers.

But I wonder what the store would call it if you put the lime a coconut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxC3M-Yngs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxC3M-Yngs

k-os
25th November 2011, 05:48 PM
I will never understand why (most people) think that the USA is the most "free" nation in the world, yet it has the most laws.

midnight rambler
25th November 2011, 06:00 PM
I will never understand why (most people) think that the USA is the most "free" nation in the world, yet it has the most laws.

We're the most protected (by the govt.) and therefore the safest country.

Here locally the shitty police have extended this shield of protection by cracking down on jaywalkers.

k-os
25th November 2011, 06:02 PM
We're the most protected (by the govt.) and therefore the safest country.

Here locally the shitty police have extended this shield of protection by cracking down on jaywalkers.

I think FL has the most pedestrian deaths, but . . . man, if you are dumb enough to walk in traffic, then let nature take it's course.

osoab
25th November 2011, 06:13 PM

um, isn't this story from the uk?

Dogman
25th November 2011, 06:14 PM
Think so, that nation is way pussyfied.

k-os
25th November 2011, 06:46 PM
um, isn't this story from the uk?

Ooops. Sorry!

StreetsOfGold
25th November 2011, 07:13 PM
The more corrupt the State......the more numerous the laws.

Tacitus

Proverbs 29:2 When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.