PDA

View Full Version : F.M. Dostoievsky (Notes & Excerpts)

Panoptimist
29th November 2011, 08:56 PM
Note: I am going to consolidate here the quotes and excerpts that I've extracted from Dostoievsky's Diary of a Writer, translated by Boris Brasol. I plan on adding more in the future, so I'm dedicating this to Dostoievsky material and discussion. - Panop

June 1876 Diary entry titled "My Paradox [p. 355]":

Now Jews are becoming landowners--and everywhere people write and shout that Jews are draining the soil of Russia; that a Jew, after having invested a certain amount of capital in the purchase of an estate, in order to retrieve the capital plus interest, promptly exhausts all productive forces of the purchased land. Yet try to say something against this and people will immediately start vociferating about the violation of the principle of economic freedom and civil equality. But what kind of equality is this if we have here an obvious Talmudic status in statu--above all and in the first place; if this is not only the exhaustion of the soil but also the future exhaustion of our peasant, who, having been liberated from the landowners, unquestionably and very soon will be driven--as a commune in corpore--into a much worse slavery of far more pernicious landowners--those same landowners who have already rained the sap out of the peasant in Western Russia; those who are now purchasing not only estates and peasants, but who have begun to buy liberal opinion, and who continue to do so quite successfully.Forget which entry these are from:

But let us leave the Westerners alone, and let us suppose that with money everything may be accomplished ; that time itself may be purchaed, and that even independence of life may somehow be steamed up and re-enacted. The question is: where is such money to be found?--Almost half of our present budget is paid for by vodka; in other words, this means that, judging by the present, the whole future of the people is dependent upon national drunkenness and popular depravity. We are paying, so to speak, with our future for our stately budget of a great European power. We are cutting the tree at its very root, in order to get the fruit as quickly as possible. And who sought this?--It happened involuntarily, of its own accord, as a result of the strict logic of historical events. Our people, liberated by the great word of the Monarch, are inexperienced in the new ways of life ; as yet, they have not lived independently, and they are merely taking their first strides along the new road : this is an enormous and extraordinary break ; it is almost wholly unexpected, almost unheard of in history by reason of its completeness and character. These first, and now independent, steps of the liberated giant along the new path, fraught with great peril, require extraordinary caution. And yet, what did our people encounter at these first steps?--Vacillation among the upper strata of society; the alienation from the people of our intelligentsia which, for centuries, has been in existence (this is the principal thing), and on top of these--trash and the Jew. The people began revelling and drinking--first, from joy; and later, from force of habit. Were they shown anything better than trashiness? Were they diverted, were they taught anything?--At present in some, even in many, localities, pot-houses are so numerous that they exist in the proportion of not only one to hundreds but even to dozens of inhabitants--moreover, to only a few dozens. There are localities with some fifty dwellers, or less, and yet that have a pot-house of their own.

Genuine, sound capital accumulates in a country in no other way than by being based upon a general labor prosperity; otherwise only capital owned by kulaks and Jews can come into existence. And thus it shall be if the people will not come to their senses and the intelligentsia will not help them. If the people should fail to come to their senses, they, as a whole, will find themselves in a very short time in the hands of all sorts of Jews, and in such an event no commune is going to save them : there will be merely uniformly equal paupers, mortgaged and enslaved as a whole commune, while, in their stead, Jews and kulaks will be providing the money for the budget. There will emerge petty, depraved and mean little bourgeois, and a countless number of paupers enslaved by them--such will be the picture! Yiddishers will be soaking up the blood of the people and subsisting on their debauch and humiliation; inasmuch, however, as they--these Yiddishers--will provide money for the budget, they will have to be supported. This is a bad, horrible dream and, praised be the Lord, it is merely a fancy! On the universal habit of regularly lying/exaggerating in speech without knowing anything but to make a better impression to the listener, The Citizen No. 35, 1873:

But take, for instance, natural sciences ! Did you not discuss natural sciences or bankruptcy cases and escapes over the border by different Petersburg, and other, Jews, understanding nothing about them and not knowing the A B C of natural sciences? ... Briefly, if to all this anyone should answer me with a nay, namely, that he did not relate the anecdotes, did not touch upon Botkin, did not lie about Jews, did not shout on the staircase about auntie's health, and that nothing of the kind ever happened to him--I would simply not believe it.Forget which entry:

And the sages and ringleaders merely cater to them--some of them for fear of the Jews (why not, they argue, let him go to America?--isn't it liberal to run away to America?); others--simply to make money on them. And thus fresh energies perish. I may be told that these are but two or three facts which mean nothing, and that, on the contrary, everything is consolidating itself and uniting even closer than hitherto; that banks, companies and associations are being formed. But, would you really, and in truth, point at this mob of triumphant Jews and Yiddishers who have sprung upon Russia?--Triumphant and enraptured--for in our day there have appeared even enraptured Jews of Hebrew and Orthodox faiths. And imagine, even about them, it is stated in our newspapers that they go into retirement and that, for instance, the foreign press is making great fun of the conventions of representatives of our Russian agricultural banks, on account of "the secret meetings of the first two conventions, asking not without irony : how and by what right have the Russian agricultural credit institutions the nerve to expect to gain public confidence if they, at secret meetings held behind the Chinese wall which carefully protects them, are concealing everything from the public, thereby hinting to it that, in fact, something suspicious is taking place..."

And, note a general trait: our whole problem resolves itself into the first step--to practice--whereas everybody, to the last man, is shouting and busying himself about principles; and practice, willy-nilly, has slipped into the hands of Jews alone.Note: I had planned on extracting all passages of relevance to this subject, but I stopped doing it consistently even as I kept reading. I think I left physical markers on pages though, so when I have the time or energy I will put them down. I was also going to transcribe his entire entry "The Jewish Question" as I haven't seen the text of it anywhere online, but I just don't have the time or energy to do it now. Maybe I'll do it in the coming months.
Excerpt from entry titled "About The Same" (previous entry titled "Best Men") [Beginning on pg. 484, Book I of my edition]:

Meanwhile, a new storm was coming up, a new calamity was arising--"the gold bag!" In lieu of the former "conditional" best men, a new contingency ensued which, in Russia, all of a sudden has acquired an awful significance. It goes without saying that "the gold bag" existed also in the past: it always existed, in the form of the merchant-millionaire; however, at no time in the past has it been placed so high--never has such a significance been attributed to it as in our day. Our former merchant, notwithstanding the role which everywhere in Europe capital and the millionaires have played, in Russia, comparatively speaking, occupied a rather insignificant place in the social hierarchy. To tell the truth--he did not deserve anything better. I will say in advance: I am speaking only about rich merchants, while the majority of them, who had not yet been corrupted by wealth, were living in the fashion of Ostrovsky's characters. Perhaps they were not worse than many others, again speaking comparatively, while the lowest and most numerous merchants virtually merged with the people. But the richer the former merchant grew, the worse he became. Essentially, he was nothing but a peasant--merely a corrupted peasant.

The former millionaire-merchants were divided into two classes: some of them continued to wear beards, despite their millions, and, in spite of the mirrors and inlaid floors in their huge mansions, lived somewhat swinishly--both in a moral and in a physical sense. The best that there was in them was their love of church bells and of vociferous deacons. However, notwithstanding this love, morally they were already detached from the people. It is difficult to conceive anything morally more contrasting than the people, on the one hand, and certain merchant-manufacturers on the other. It is said that Ovsiannikov, when he was recently transported through Kazan to Siberia, kicked out with his feet the donated copper coins which the people naively threw into his carriage: this is the ultimate degree of the moral alienation from the people--a complete loss of the least understanding of the people's thought and spirit. And never have the people been in a worse bondage than in the factories owned by some of these gentlemen!

The other class of our millionaire-merchants was characterized by dresscoats and shaven chins; by the gorgeous European furnishings of their houses; by the upbringing of their daughters with the French and English languages, with pianos, and--not infrequently--by some badge acquired as a result of substantial donations; by intolerable scorn for everyone lower than they; by contempt for an ordinary "dinner"-general, and, at the same time, by the most servile humiliation before a high dignitary, especially whenever that merchant succeeded--God only knows through what intrigues and by what devices--in enticing such a dignitary to a ball or dinner which, needless to say, was given for him. This preoccupation with the problem of giving a dinner for a dignitary became the program of life. This was anxiously looked for: it was virtually for this alone that the millionaire lived on earth. It stands to reason that this former rich merchant worshipped his million as God: in his view the million was everything; the million had extricated him out of nothingness and had made him impressive. In the vulgar soul of this "corrupted peasant" (he continued to be that, despite all his dress-coats) there never could be conceived a single thought, a single feeling, which, though for a second, would raise him in his consciousness above that million of his. Naturally, despite the outward polish, the family of such a merchant grew up without any education. The million not only was not conducive to education but, on the contrary, it used to constitute in such cases the principal cause of ignorance: why should the son of such a millionaire study in a university if, without any study, he could have everything, especially since these millionaires, upon acquiring their million, quite often acquired the rights of nobility. Aside from debauch since the earliest youthful years, and the most distorted conceptions of the world, the fatherland, honor and duty, wealth contributed nothing to the souls of that carnivorous and arrogant youth. And the distortion of the world outlook was monstrous since, above all, there prevailed the conviction which assumed the form of an axiom: "With money I can buy everything, every distinction, every valor; I can bribe everybody and I can bail myself out of everything." It is difficult to imagine the extent of the aridness of heart in youths who grew up in those rich families. From a boastfulness and a desire not to lag behind others, such a millionaire, at times, donated enormous sums for the benefit of the fatherland--for instance, in the case when it was threatened with danger (although this occurred but once, in 1872)--yet he made these donations in anticipation of rewards, while was always ready, any minute of his existence, to join the first stray Jew, in order to betray everybody and everything, provided this yielded profit: patriotism, the feeling of civic duty, is almost non-existent in these hearts.

Oh, of course, I am speaking of our Russian commercial millionaire merely as a class. There are exceptions always and everywhere. In Russia, too, merchants can be pointed out who possessed European education and who distinguished themselves with worthy civic deeds. However, of such there are very few among our millionaires; every one of them is known by name. Because of exceptions, a class does not lose its character.

Now, the former limits of the merchant of days gone by were suddenly, in our day, widely set asunder. Suddenly he became affiliated with the European speculator, hitherto unknown in Russia, and the stock-exchange gambler. The contemporaneous merchant no longer needs to entice to his "dinner party" a "dignitary" or to give balls in his honor. He affiliates himself and fraternizes with the dignitary at the stock exchange, at a shareholders' meeting, in a bank which he establishes together with the dignitary. Nowadays he himself is somebody; he himself is a dignitary. The main point is that all of a sudden he found himself decidedly in one of the highest places in society, which in Europe has already long ago been officially and sincerely assigned to the millionaire. And, of course, he did not doubt that he was actually worthy of the place.

Briefly, he becomes more and more wholeheartedly convinced that it is precisely he who nowadays is "the best" man on earth, in lieu of all the former ones. But the bending calamity is not that he entertains such nonsense, but the fact that others, also, it would seem (and already quite a few), begin to reason in the same way. In our day, the bag is unquestionably conceived by a dreadful majority to be the best of everything. Of course, these fears will be disputed. However, our present-day factual veneration of the bad is not only indisputable, but, by reason of the proportions it has assumed, it is also unprecedented. I repeat: also in the past the power of the bag was understood in Russia by everybody, but never until now has the bag been regarded as the loftiest thing on earth. In the official classification of Russians--in the social hierarchy--the former merchant's bag could not outweigh even a bureaucrat. At present, however, even the former hierarchy, without any coercion from the outside, seems to be ready to remove itself to the second place, ceding its place to the lovely and beautiful novel "condition" of the best man "who for so long a time and so erroneously did not assume his true rights." The present-day stock-exchange gambler enlists in his service litterateurs; the advocate pays court to him. "That young school turning out shrewd minds and dry hearts--a school distorting every sure feeling, whenever occasion calls for such distortion; a school of all sorts of challenges, fearless and irresponsible; a continual and incessant training, based on offer and demand"--this youthful school already has fallen in line with the stock-exchange gambler and begun to sing hymns of praise in his honor. Please do not think that I am hinting at "the Strusberg case"; advocates in that case who proclaimed their "pinched" clients as ideal men, who sang hymns to them as "the best men in all Moscow" (precisely, something of the kind)--these advocates have missed their mark. They have proved that they themselves are men devoid of the least serious conviction and even of poise, men with no sense of measure; and if they are playing in our midst the role of "European talents," it is solely because in the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed is king.

In fact, even as diplomats, they have charged the highest possible fee in order to obtain the maximum for the minimum: "Not only are they not guilty--they are holy!" It is rumored that at pone point the public even began to hiss. However, an advocate, to begin with, is not a diplomat: the comparison is essentially erroneous. It would have been more correct, far more correct, to ask--pointing at the client--the question propounded in the Gospel: "Gentlemen of the jury, who among you is 'he that is without sin'?"--Oh, I am not criticizing the verdict; the verdict is just--and I bow before it; it had to be rendered if it were only against the bank. Precisely this case was of such a nature that to convict by "public conscience" this "pinched," ill-starred Moscow Loan Bank meant to convict at the same time all our banks, the whole stock exchange, all stock-exchange gamblers, even though they had not yet been caught--what difference does it make? Who is without sin, without that same sin?--Honestly, who? Somebody has already said in print that they were leniently punished.--I must explain that I am not referring to Landau: he is really guilty of something extraordinary which I have no intention of even discussing. But, in all conscience, Danila Schumacher, convicted of "swindling," got a terrible punishment. Let us look into our hearts: are there many among us who would not have committed the same thing?--One needn't confess aloud, but let him tacitly admit it. However, long live justice!--All the same, they were jailed!--"Take that, for our stock exchange and depraved times; take that, as a reward for the fact that we are all egoists, that we all profess such villainous materialistic views on happiness in life and its delights; for our arid and treacherous feeling of self-preservation!" Nay, it is useful to convict even one bank for our own sins….

My God! Whither have I wandered? Is it possible that I, too, am writing "about the Strusberg case"? Enough! I hasten to cut this short. For I was speaking about "the best man," and I merely meant to draw the conclusion that in Russia the ideal of the real best man, even of the "natural" pattern, is in great danger of growing muddy. The old has either been destroyed or is worn out; the new is still borne on the wings of fantasy, whereas in actual life we behold something abominable which has reached unheard-of proportions. The fascination which is being attributed to this new force--the gold bag--even beings to inspire fear in some hearts, which are all too suspicious, for instance, as regards the people. Indeed, even though we--the upper stratum of society--might be seduced by the new idol, nevertheless we should not vanish without leaving a trace: not in vain has the torch of education been shining for us throughout two centuries. We are armed with enlightenment, and we should be able to repel the monster. At a moment of most filthy debauch, didn't we convict the Moscow Loan Bank? But our people--that "inert, corrupt, insensible mass"--into which the Jew has thrust himself, what are they going to set against the monster of materialism, in the guise of the gold bag, marching on them?--Their misery? Their rags? Their taxes and their bad harvests? Their vices? Liquor? Flogging? We were afraid that the people would forthwith fall prostrate before the increasing power of the gold bag, and that before even one generation should pass they would be enslaved worse than ever before--and that they would be driven into submission not only through coercion, but that they would submit morally, with their whole will. We were afraid that it is precisely they, before anyone else, who would say: "This is the main thing; here is where power, tranquility and happiness reside! This is what we shall worship and follow!"
Forget which entry this short quote is from:

Ideals are humbug, poesy, verses! And it is true that once more the Jew has enthroned himself everywhere! Why, not only has he "enthroned himself," but he never ceased to reign!

Panoptimist
29th November 2011, 09:04 PM
October entry, 1876:

[Dostoevsky]Apropos, here is the deliberation of a suicide out of tedium--of course, a materialist.
[Note written by man before committing suicide, to which D. is referring]...Indeed, what right did this nature have to bring me into this world pursuant to some of her eternal laws? I am created with consciousness and I did conceive nature: what right had she, therefore, to beget me without my will, without my will as a conscious creature?--Conscious implies suffering, but I do not wish to suffer, since why should I consent to suffering? Nature, through the medium of my consciousness, proclaims to me some sort of harmony of the whole. Human consciousness has produced religions out of this message. Nature tells me--even though I know well that I neither can nor ever shall participate in this 'harmony of the whole,' and besides, that I shall never even comprehend what it means--that nevertheless I must submit to this message, abase myself, accept suffering because of the harmony of the whole, and consent to live. However, if I were to make a conscious choice, of course I should rather wish to be happy only that moment when I exist, whereas I have no interest whatever in the whole and its harmony after I perish, and it does not concern me in the least whether this whole with its harmony remains in the world after me or whether it perishes simultaneously with me. And why should I bother about its preservation after I no longer exist?--that's the question. It would have been better to be created like all animals--i.e., living but not conceiving myself rationally. But my consciousness is not harmony, but, on the contrary, precisely disharmony, because with it I am unhappy. Look: who is happy in this world and what kind of people consent to live?--Precisely those who are akin to animals and come nearest to their species by reason of their limited development and consciousness. These readily consent to live but on the specific condition that they live as animals, i.e., eat, drink, sleep, build their nest and bring up children. To eat, drink and sleep, in the human tongue, means to grow rich and to plunder, while to build one's nest pre-eminently signifies--to plunder. Perhaps I may be told that one may arrange one's life and build one's nest on a rational basis, on scientifically sound social principles, and not by means of plunder, as heretofore.--All right, but I ask: What for? What is the purpose of arranging one's existence and of exerting so much effort to organize life in society soundly, rationally and righteously in a moral sense? Certainly no one will ever be able to give me an answer to this question. All that could be said in answer would be: 'To derive delight.' Yes, were I a flower or a cow, I should derive delight. But, incessantly putting questions to myself, as now, I cannot be happy even in the face of the most lofty and immediate happiness of love of neighbor and of mankind, since I know that tomorrow all this will perish: I and all the happiness, and all the love, and all mankind will be converted into naught, into former chaos. And on such a condition, under no consideration, can I accept any happiness--and not because of my refusal to accept it, not because I am stubbornly adhering to some principle, but for the simple reason that I will not and cannot be happy on the condition of being threatened with tomorrow's zero. This is a feeling--a direct and immediate feeling--and I cannot conquer it. All right: if I were to die but mankind, instead of me, were to persist forever, then perhaps, I might nevertheless be consoled. However, our planet is not eternal, while mankind's duration is just as brief a moment as mine. And no matter how rationally, happily, righteously and holily mankind might organize its life on earth--tomorrow all this will be made equal to that same zero. And even though all this be necessary, pursuant to some almighty, eternal and fixed law of nature, yet, believe me, in this idea there is some kind of most profound disrespect for mankind which, to me, is profoundly insulting, and all the more unbearable as here there is no one who is guilty.

And, finally, even were one to presume the possibility of that tale about man's ultimate attainment of a rational and scientific organization of life on earth--were one to believe this tale and the future happiness of man, the thought itself that, because of some inert laws, nature found it necessary to torture them thousands and thousands of years before granting them that happiness--this thought itself is unbearably repulsive. And if you add to this that this very nature which, finally, had admitted man to happiness will, for some reason, tomorrow find it necessary to convert all this into zero despite all the suffering with which mankind has paid for this happiness and--what is most important--without even bothering to conceal this from my consciousness, as it did conceal it from the cow--willy-nilly, there arises a most amusing, but also unbearably sad, thought: 'What if man has been placed on earth for some impudent experiment--just for the purpose of ascertaining whether or not this creature is going to survive on earth?' The principal sadness of this thought is in the fact that here, again, there is no guilty one; no one has conducted the experiment; there is no one to damn, since everything simply came to pass as a result of the inert laws of nature, which I do not understand at all, and with which my consciousness is altogether unable to reconcile itself. Ergo:

Inasmuch as to my questions on happiness I am receiving from nature, through my own consciousness, only the answer that I can be happy not otherwise than within the harmony of the whole, which I do not comprehend, and which, it is obvious to me I shall never be able to understand-----

Inasmuch as nature not only does not admit my right to demand an account from her, but even gives me no answer whatsoever--and not because she does not want to answer, but because she is unable to give me an answer-----

Inasmuch as I have convinced myself that nature, in order to answer my queries, designates (unconsciously) my own self and answers them with my own consciousness (since it is I who say all this to myself)-----

Finally, since, under these circumstances, I am assuming both the roles of a plaintiff and of a defendant, that of an accused and of a judge; and inasmuch as I consider this comedy, on the part of nature, altogether stupid, and to be enduring this comedy on my own part--even humiliating-----

Now, therefore, in my unmistakable role of a plaintiff and of a defendant, of a judge and of an accused, I sentence this nature, which has so unceremoniously and impudently brought me into existence for suffering, to annihilation, together with myself. ...And because I am unable to destroy nature, I am destroying only myself, weary of enduring a tyranny in which there is no guilty one.

[D's follow-up, a few entries later - this is an incomplete transcription, I haven't finished it yet] The October issue of my Diary has also caused me trouble--in a way, of course. In it there is a short article The Verdict, which had left me in some doubt. That Verdict is the confession of a suicide, recorded by himself immediately before he shot himself with a pistol--recorded for his justification and, maybe, as a moral. Several of my friends, whose opinion I treasure most highly, even praised the article but corroborated my doubts. The praised it for the fact that actually a formula, as it were, of suicides of this pattern had been found--a formula which clearly expressed their basic ideology. But these friends of mine were wondering if the object of the article would be understood by each and all of my readers. Wouldn't it, contrariwise, produce on someone some altogether opposite impression? Moreover, wouldn't some of them--those very people who had already begun to dream about the pistol or the noose--wouldn't they be seduced by the reading of my article, and wouldn't they feel even more confirmed in their unfortunate intentions? In a word, doubts were expressed which were identical with those that had earlier occurred to me. And, as a result, I came to the deduction that it would have been necessary to give, directly and simply, in clear words at the end of the article, the author's explanation of the object with which it had been written--and even to add a moral.

With this I was in accord. Besides, while I was writing the article I myself felt that a moral was necessary, but somehow I was ashamed to write it. I felt ashamed to presume, even in a very naive reader, so much simplicity that he wouldn't guess the underlying motive of the article, its object, its moral. To me this object was so clear that, willy-nilly, I supposed it to be equally clear to everybody. I proved to be wrong.

Correct is the observation which was made several years ago by a writer to the effect that in days gone by it was considered a shame to admit the lack of understanding of certain things because it was direct proof of the dullness of him who made such an admission, of his ignorance, of the defective development of his mind and heart, of the weakness of this mental faculties. At present, on the contrary, the phrase--"I don't understand it"--is often being uttered almost with pride or, at least, with an important air. This phrase promptly places the man, in the opinion of his listeners, on a pedestal, and--what is still more comic--in his own opinion, too; and he isn't in the least ashamed of the cheapness of the pedestal thus acquired. Nowadays the words: "I understand nothing about Raphael," or "I have purposely read all of Shakespeare and, I confess, I found absolutely nothing particular in him"--these words today may be accepted not only as a sign of profound intellect, but even as something valiant, virtually as a moral exploit. And is it only Shakespeare or Raphael who is subjected to such judgments and to such doubts?

This observation concerning uppish ignoramuses, which I have recorded here in my own words, is rather correct. In point of fact, the pride of the ignoramuses has become boundless. Poorly developed and dull people are not ashamed of these unfortunate qualities of theirs; on the contrary, a situation has developed where these very qualities "add zest" to them. I have also often observed that both in literature and in private life there have developed great segregation, and many-facetedness of knowledge has disappeared: people who vehemently challenge their adversaries throughout whole decades have not read a single line of the latter's writings: "I have different convictions"--they say--"and I am not going to read nonsense." Verily--a penny's worth of ammunition and a ruble's worth of ambition. Such an extreme one-sidedness and isolation, such segregation and intolerance, have developed only in our day--i.e., preeminently during the last twenty years. Couple with these, there arose in many a man some sort of impudent boldness: men of negligible knowledge laugh--and even to one's face--at people possessing ten times more learning and understanding. And what is worst of all--as time goes on "rectilinearness" develops in an ever-increasing measure: for example, the instinct for adaptation, for metaphor, for allegory, begins to disappear. Noticeably, people cease (generally speaking) to understand jest, humor--and this, according to the observation of a certain German thinker, is one of the surest symptoms of the intellectual and moral degradation of an epoch. Instead, there come into being gloomy blockheads with frowning brows and narrow minds moving in one direction only--along the straight line toward one fixed point. Do you think that I am speaking only of the young ones and the liberals?--I assure you that I am referring also to old fellows and conservatives. As though in imitation of the young ones (at present already gray ones), some twenty years ago there came into being queer single-track conservatives--irritated old men who understood nothing about current affairs, about the new people and the younger generation. Their rectilinearness, if you please, was sometimes even more rigorous, more cruel and more obtuse that that of "the new men." Oh, possibly, all this developed in them as a result of the superfluity of good intentions and of magnanimous feelings which, however, had been vexed with the latest follies. Nevertheless, at times they are blinder than the modern rectilinearists. However, I am afraid that, while denouncing rectilinearness, I myself have digressed much too far.

Panoptimist
1st December 2011, 08:40 AM
http://i2.listal.com/image/1239078/600full-dostoevsky.jpg

DMac
1st December 2011, 09:02 AM
Interesting post Panoptimist. I appreciate the quotes.

Bigjon
8th December 2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.library.flawlesslogic.com/dost.htm

Dostoievsky On the Jews
Dr. William Pierce
Feodor M. Dostoievsky (1821-1881) was one of Russia's greatest writers. The son of a physician of modest means, he had the opportunity for an education, and was trained as an engineer. He remained close to the common people of Russia, however, in the experiences of his life and in his writing.

Dostoievsky was a fervent patriot, but his association with a circle of radical writers led to his arrest at the age of 27. He was subsequently sentenced to death, reprieved at the last minute, and transported to Siberia, where he spent four years in a prison labor camp. This was followed by several years as a private in a Siberian unit in the Russian army.

After his return from Siberia Dostoievsky wrote a number of novels, including Crime and Punishment (1866), The Idiot (186, The Possessed (1871), and The Brothers Karamazov (1880), all of which enjoyed immense popularity. It was his Diary of a Writer, however, published in a number of installments in the period 1873-1881 which most explicitly stated his feeling for his people and for Russia.

Dostoievsky's Diary dealt with a great many issues of burning interest to his fellow countrymen, showing clearly the insight and sensitivity which made him one of the most beloved of all the great writers Russia has produced. Boris Brasol, who translated Diary of a Writer into English, has described the reaction of the Russian people to Dostoievsky's death on February 9th, 1881:
The news of Dostoievsky's passing spread instantly, like an electric current, to the remotest parts of Russia, and a wave of mourning swept through the hearts of her saddened people... Enormous crowds attended his funeral: men and women from all walks of life -- statesmen of high rank and downtrodden prostitutes; illiterate peasants and distinguished men of letters; army officers and learned scientists; credulous priests and incredulous students -- they were all there.

Whom did Russia bury with so great a reverence? Was it only one of her famous men of letters? Indeed not: in that coffin lay a noble and lofty man, a prudent teacher, an inspired prophet whose thoughts, like mountain peaks, were always pointed toward heaven, and who had measured the depths of man's quivering heart with all its struggles, sins, and tempests; its riddles, pains, and sorrows; its unseen tears and burning passions....
As much as his people loved him, Dostoievsky in turn loved them -- and despised their enemies and exploiters. Foremost among the latter were the Jews of Russia. In Dostoievsky's time there were some three million of them, some descended from the Khazars, an Asiatic tribe of southern Russia which had converted to Judaism a millennium earlier, and some who had flocked into Russia from the West during the Middle Ages, when they were forcibly expelled from every country in western and central Europe.

Scorning honest labor, the Jews had fastened themselves on the Russian peasants and craftsmen like an army of leeches. Money-lending, the liquor trade, and White slavery were their preferred means of support -- and their means of destroying the Russian people.

So great was the Russians' hate for their Jewish tormenters that the Russian rulers were obliged to institute special legislation, both protecting the Jews and limiting their depredations against the Russian people. Among the latter was a ban against Jewish settlement in central Russia; they were restricted to the regions of western and southwestern Russia (the "Pale of Settlement") where they had been most heavily concentrated at the time Catherine the Great had proclaimed the ban, in the 18th century.

This, of course, was regarded by the Jews as "persecution," and it was their incessant wailing about not being allowed to fasten themselves on the people of central Russia which first moved Dostoievsky to set his pen to paper on the Jewish question. In the section of his Diary published in March 1877, the writer remarked:
... I know that in the whole world there is certainly no other people who would be complaining as much about their lot, incessantly, after each step and word of theirs -- about their humiliation, their suffering, their martyrdom. One might think it is not they who are reigning in Europe, who are directing there at least the stock exchanges and, therefore, politics, domestic affairs, the morality of the states.
Dostoievsky, who had become all too familiar with Jews and their personal attitudes toward their Russian hosts, first as a boy on his parent's small estate, where he observed the Jew's dealings with the local peasants, and later in prison, where he noted the aloof behavior of the Jewish prisoners toward Russian prisoners, went on to speculate about what would happen to the Russians if the Jews ever got the whiphand:
... Now, how would it be if in Russia there were not three million Jews, but three million Russians, and there were eighty million Jews -- well, into what would they convert the Russians and how would they treat them? Would they permit them to acquire equal rights? Would they permit them to worship freely in their midst? Wouldn't they convert them into slaves? Worse than that: wouldn't they skin them altogether? Wouldn't they slaughter them to the last man, to the point of complete extermination, as they used to do with aliens in ancient times, during their ancient history?
This speculation turned out to be grimly prophetic, for only a little more than four decades later bloodthirsty Jewish commissars, who made up the bulk of the Bolshevik leaders, were supervising the butchering of Russians by the millions.

Dostoievsky correctly identified the secret of the Jews' strength -- indeed, of their very survival over a period of 40 centuries -- as their exclusiveness, their deeply ingrained mental outlook upon the whole non-Jewish world as an alien, inferior, and hostile thing. This outlook led the Jews to always think of themselves as having a special situation or standing. Even when they were trying most ingratiatingly to convince the non-Jews that Jews were just like everyone else, they maintained the inner attitude of a people who constituted a special community within the larger, Gentile community. Dostoievsky pointed out:
... It is possible to outline, at least, certain symptoms of that status in statu -- be it only externally. These symptoms are: alienation and estrangement in the matter of religious dogma; the impossibility of fusion; belief that in the world there exists but one national entity, the Jew, while, even though other entities exist, nevertheless, it should be presumed that they are, as it were, nonexistent. 'Step out of the family of nations and form your own entity, and thou shalt know that henceforth thou art the only one before God; exterminate the rest, or make slaves of them. Have faith in the conquest of the whole world; adhere to the belief that everything will submit to thee. Loathe strictly everything, and do not have intercourse with anyone in thy mode of living. And even when thou shalt lose the land, thy political individuality, even when thou shalt be dispersed all over the face of the earth, amidst all nations -- never mind, have faith in everything that has been promised thee, once and forever; believe that all this will come to pass, and meanwhile live, loathe, unite, and exploit -- and wait, wait ....
Is it any wonder that, although virtually every American with a high school education has either read Dostoievsky's Crime and Punishment or his The Brothers Karamazov (or both), his Diary of a Writer has been quietly consigned to oblivion by the controlled educational and publishing establishments in this country? The only printing of Diary of a Writer currently listed in Books in Print is one issued by a small, specialty publisher (Octagon Books) for sale to libraries and priced at a prohibitive $47.50. That price tag ought to keep it safely out of the hands of curious American readers!

Those fortunate enough to be able to borrow a copy of the book can read a great many more of Dostoievsky's penetrating comments on the behavior of and attitude of the Jews in Russia toward the Russian people during the 19th century. Dostoievsky especially condemned the exploitation of the poor, ignorant, and helpless Russian peasants by the voraciously greedy and utterly heartless Jews. For example:
Thus, Jewry is thriving precisely there where the people are still ignorant, or not free, or economically backward. It is there that Jewry has a champ libre. And instead of raising, by its influence, the level of education, instead of increasing knowledge, generating economic fitness in the native population -- instead of this the Jew, wherever he has settled, has still more humiliated and debauched the people; there humaneness was still more debased and the educational level fell still lower; there inescapable, inhuman misery, and with it despair, spread still more disgustingly. Ask the native population in our border regions: What is propelling the Jew -- and has been propelling him for centuries? You will receive a unanimous answer: mercilessness. 'He has been prompted so many centuries only by pitilessness to us, only by the thirst for our sweat and blood.'

And, in truth, the whole activity of the Jews in these border regions of ours consisted of rendering the native population as much as possible inescapably dependent on them, taking advantage of the local laws. They have always managed to be on friendly terms with those upon whom the people were dependent. Point to any other tribe from among Russian aliens which could rival the Jew by his dreadful influence in this connection! You will find no such tribe. In this respect the Jew preserves all his originality as compared with other Russian aliens, and of course, the reason therefore is that status of statu of his, that spirit of which specifically breathes pitilessness for everything that is not Jew, with disrespect for any people and tribe, for every human creature who is not a Jew....

Now, what if somehow, for some reason, our rural commune [i.e., the institutionalized system of Russian peasant society] should disintegrate, that commune which is protecting our poor native peasant against so many ills; what if, straightaway, the Jew and his whole kehillah [i.e., organized Jewry] should fall upon that liberated peasant -- so inexperienced, so incapable of resisting temptation, and who up to this time has been guarded precisely by the commune? Why, of course, instantly this would be his end; his entire property, his whole strength, the very next day would come under the power of the Jew, and there would ensue such an era as can be compared not only with the era of serfdom but even with that of the Tartar yoke.
Again, how tragically prophetic!

National Vanguard, Issue no. 72, 1979. This article was transcribed by William Wilson from The Best of Attack and National Vanguard 1970-1982, edited by Kevin Alfred Strom, copyright 1984 National Vanguard Books, Box 330, Hillsboro WV 24946 USA.

Bigjon
8th December 2011, 10:10 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/30365173/Dostoievsky

Feodor Dostoievsky on the coming Jewish "complete reign"
The following is an extract from Dostoievsky's non-fiction work The Diary of a
Writer, published serially from 1871 to 1873.
He writes of Christianity in a civilizational, rather than a doctrinal, sense; as

does Israel Shamir.
THE DIARY OF A WRITER
F. M. DOSTOIEVSKY
TRANSLATED AND ANNOTATED BY BORIS BRASOL
New York GEORGE BRAZILLER 1954
{p. 630} FEODOR DOSTOIEVSKY: 1877 ...

Many people, in a purely Western fashion, began to see in the Church nothing but
dead formalism, segregation, ritualism, and starting with the end of the past
century - even prejudice and hypocrisy: the spirit, the idea, the living force was
forgotten. There appeared economic conceptions of the Western pattern, new
political doctrines, new morality which sought to correct and supersede the former
one. Finally, science made its appearance, and it could not help but introduce
disbelief in the former ideas. ... Besides, in the peoples of the East there began
to awaken pre-eminently national ideas: suddenly there arose a fear that, after
having shaken off the Turkish yoke, they would fall under the yoke of Russia.

However, among the many millions of our common people and in their czars the idea
of the liberation of the East and of the Church of Christ was never dead. The
movement which seized the Russian people last summer proved that they forgot
nothing of their ancient hopes and beliefs; it even surprised the overwhelming
mass of our intelligentsia to such an extent that they adopted a skeptical and
scoffing attitude toward it, assuring everybody - and above all themselves - that
the movement was invented and counterfeited by disreputable men who were seeking
to come to the forefront to occupy a showy place.

Indeed, who, in our day, among our intelligentsia - save a small portion of it
which detached itself from the general chorus - could admit that our people are
capable of consciously comprehending their political, social and ethical mission?
How could it be conceived that this coarse common mass, which only recently was
kept in bondage and which now half-killed itself with vodka, knew and was
convinced that its destiny was to serve Christ, and that of its Czar - to guard
the Christian faith and to liberate Orthodoxy ? "Even though this mass always
called itself Christian, nevertheless it has no conception of either religion or
even Christ; it knows not even the most ordinary prayers." This is what is usually
being said about our people. Who is saying this ? You think - a German pastor who
has organized our Stundism; or a travelling European; a correspondent of a
political newspaper; or some educated top Jew, from among those who do not believe
in God and of whom suddenly nowadays so many have been propagated in our midst;
or, finally, one of those Russians residing abroad who pictures to himself Russia
and her people not otherwise than in

{p. 631} the guise of a drunken peasant woman with a square bottle in her hand ? - Oh, no ! Thus thinks an enormous part of our Russian, very best society. Yet they do not suspect that even though our people do not know prayers, nevertheless the essence of Christianity, its spirit and truth, are conserved and fortified in them despite their vices - as strongly as, perhaps, in no other people in the world.

Page 1 of 14 (an excerpt of the much larger work)

MAGNES
8th December 2011, 10:49 PM

More quotes here and some of my own comments on Dostoievsky.
The Orthodox Nationalist (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?56195-The-Orthodox-Nationalist)

Dostoyevsky was a prophet, if you have one of those handy quotes handy that would be great, I don't, Dostoyevsky was an intellectual giant, he is hated for that, hated for many reasons, being Russian, being Nationalist, being Religious, being Orthodox, trying to talk some sense into the Jew, like talking to a black mamba, and most importantly Dostoyevsky is hated for being the prophet he was, the Jews did exactly what he said they would do when they gained power, extermination of the Christians.

And to add, a thread like this would make you noticed, make you friends and make you enemies. LOL

MAGNES
8th December 2011, 11:05 PM
Excellent posts Bigjon, I haven't even seen those, especially Pierce,
how did I miss that one, online there is a lot of material on this,
some tight quotes too, signature material.

" He writes of Christianity in a civilizational, rather than a doctrinal, sense "

I can strongly identify with this.

" Beauty will save the world. " Dostoievsky, Blue Midnight's signature.

Bigjon
8th December 2011, 11:14 PM
I see this wherever I look today, same people same methods.

greedy and utterly heartless Jews. For example:
Thus, Jewry is thriving precisely there where the people are still ignorant, or not free, or economically backward. It is there that Jewry has a champ libre. And instead of raising, by its influence, the level of education, instead of increasing knowledge, generating economic fitness in the native population -- instead of this the Jew, wherever he has settled, has still more humiliated and debauched the people; there humaneness was still more debased and the educational level fell still lower; there inescapable, inhuman misery, and with it despair, spread still more disgustingly. Ask the native population in our border regions: What is propelling the Jew -- and has been propelling him for centuries? You will receive a unanimous answer: mercilessness. 'He has been prompted so many centuries only by pitilessness to us, only by the thirst for our sweat and blood.'