PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Time ... But Not in Mexican Hospital

palani
13th December 2011, 03:43 PM
http://qctimes.com/news/local/moline-man-s-nightmare-vacation-to-mexico/article_d376fe50-2554-11e1-a7d8-001871e3ce6c.html

A Moline man who nearly died during a nightmare vacation to Mexico is back in the Quad-Cities and finally getting treatment for the devastating injuries he suffered almost two months ago.

For five weeks, Alfonso Acosta lay virtually untreated in a government-run hospital in Toluca, Mexico, his family said.

The U.S.-born 79-year-old was visiting relatives during a vacation with his wife when he took a bus trip with his brother to see a nearby religious site. On Oct. 14, during their return trip to Toluca, their tourist bus collided head-on with a semitrailer.

Acosta was in a seat directly behind the bus driver, who died instantly, said Acosta's daughter, Scott County Sheriff's Deputy Gina Lieferman. He suffered a major head injury, multiple facial fractures, broken ribs and a punctured lung.

"When we were first notified, we were told he had a concussion," Lieferman said. "The only reason they even knew who he was is that my uncle was conscious and could tell them. All of Dad's belongings were stolen from him at the scene of the crash."

The next day, one of Acosta's daughters in California flew to Mexico to check on him. A few days later, a son followed.

"My brother called, crying," Lieferman said. "He said, ‘It's bad. It's really bad. His head is so swollen - he's not going to make it.'"

I guess they had this guy in the hospital for 5 weeks. U.S. embassy would do nothing. Family ended up ponying up thousands to have him flown home. Mexico decided he was brain dead.

While he is expected to recover it is unclear if he will plan on another vacation to Mexico.

Cebu_4_2
13th December 2011, 03:53 PM
Very enlightening story.

JDRock
13th December 2011, 04:19 PM
....and we are IMPORTING these sub-human animals...."all his belongings were stolen at the scene of the crash"
the beasts were looting the bodies without even a THOUGHT to their welfare!

Glass
14th December 2011, 03:11 AM
ah.... i hate to say it but travel insurance. I hate the concept of insurance but when it comes to travel in 3rd world. Get one that pays up front, not one that re-imburses. To that point he coulda had insurance but it was a re-imburse type perhaps.

Glass
14th December 2011, 03:14 AM
....and we are IMPORTING these sub-human animals...."all his belongings were stolen at the scene of the crash"

They probably loaded up the injured and left. Locals picked over the wreckage... who knows. Maybe it's in safe keeping at a local village and no one came asking after it. You never know. What about a ship wreck and flotsam washing up on the shore? Anyone give a thought to taking salvage? Probably not.

Cebu_4_2
17th December 2011, 02:29 AM
Smite button please