PDA

View Full Version : Wheel chairs on roads?

Dogman
16th December 2011, 02:25 PM
I am not clear on the law here, have not bothered to look. But do any of you sometimes have to dodge or avoid handicapped people scooting down the road using their wheelchairs or three wheel electric scooters?

In my town, there are three that I have seen, and one just got creamed/killed by a car/truck in town, just now.

Sorta of a strange question, but I just wonder?

Ponce
16th December 2011, 02:29 PM
Let me see now, hummmmmmmmmmm 5 points if yuo hit a an, 10 for a woman 20 for a kid and 25 for anyone on a wheelchair chair.........but........if you hit an animal you will loose all your points up till that moment.

By the way, kids around here are very smart, they don't travel on any road and that's why they are a high value target.

Joe King
16th December 2011, 02:31 PM
In the instances you've seen them, was a sidewalk avaliable?
How about in the location of the accident today?
How fast do they go?
Do they operate out in the lane, or by hugging the edge of the road?
Do they signal their moves?

Dogman
16th December 2011, 02:34 PM
Yea , we had a points system here also, but only as a mind game. This accident in some ways, I have been waiting for years to happen. And now it has, I always in a way admired the spunk these people have, not to be locked into one place and demanded their freedom to move where and how they wanted. This is the first time that I think, I can remember someone being killed doing it here in my area.

Dogman
16th December 2011, 02:40 PM
In the instances you've seen them, was a sidewalk avaliable?
How about in the location of the accident today?
How fast do they go?
Do they operate out in the lane, or by hugging the edge of the road?
Do they signal their moves?
The guy was semi downtown near the heart of the town. No sidewalks, man this is small town Texas, ether a horse/truck/car etc. No side walks, but right of ways ,? I think that is what you call the side of the road. Think this guy was crossing the highway, to get to a store or was leaving it. The details are very thin right now.

All of these guys that I have seen always hugged the side of the road as close as they could get.

FasT? you got to be kidding! Not talking racing chairs or such.

The police are still checking in on it and the body has not been moved, waiting to see if the driver gets a ticket or worse?

This is going down now!

midnight rambler
16th December 2011, 02:45 PM
According to Texas Jurisprudence, everyone has the right to use the roads, streets, and highways so long as they don't directly interfere with anyone else using the roads, streets, and highways.

Dogman
16th December 2011, 02:49 PM
According to Texas Jurisprudence, everyone has the right to use the roads, streets, and highways so long as they don't directly interfere with anyone else using the roads, streets, and highways. Yea, that is what I thought. Drives the police nuts sometimes.

I think I know this guy, a call came in for some info from a nursing home, so the police can make a call to someone.(probably family) And the guy I know is the only one that uses his chair to go to stores, He gets stuff for himself and other captives at the home. Not sure because no names have been used. If it is , he was a very good person. Sad!

ximmy
16th December 2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9LOOg9Ps4

osoab
16th December 2011, 03:43 PM
I once saw a lady using one at a McDonalds drive through.
I think the only reason she was in the chair was due to her size.

Was this movie the start of the point system?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLYEbkykCI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLYEbkykCI

Dogman
16th December 2011, 03:46 PM
They just showed video of the crash site, Shit on a shingle, it looks like a bomb went off, crap scattered all over.

And yes it seems that I did know that guy. Not personally but still knew him.