PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer solutions?

Sparky
23rd December 2011, 08:49 PM
My computer slowed to a crawl about a week ago. I've run my McAfee virus scan, I've cleaned the disk, and defragmented. I think it's spyware related. Do I need something fixed in my registry? Any freeware worth recommending?

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 08:50 PM
what operating system are you using?

LuckyStrike
23rd December 2011, 08:50 PM
Spybot SD
CCleaner

I no longer use windows, but when I did those were the two I ran regularly and never had a virus.

If those don't speed it up and you think you still have problems than hands down the best way to deal with it is to run Combofix.

Let me know if you need help.

Sparky
23rd December 2011, 08:51 PM
what operating system are you using?
Windows 7

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 08:56 PM
Windows 7 Are you using McAfee as your anti virus? if so that in its self can slow your system down. Down load cc cleaner and run it a few times. dump McAfee and try windows security essentials (free) it works. Plus If not using it, install malware bites and use the full blown trial run to clean out your system.

I have had Mcafee bog my systems down in the past. avoid them like the plague any more.

There are other things you can do but let's start at the basics first

mamboni
23rd December 2011, 09:04 PM
Uninstall McAfee - it's a resource hog.
Install Avast - it's free and much better
Run CCleaner registry scan - let program do all repairs
Run CCleaner cleaner in default settings
In CCleaner Options/Settings check box CCleaner run at startup
Reboot PC
Run Spybot S & D (update first!)

Let us know how it goes. If not better, download a free hard disk utility ( I use Hard Disk Sentinel) and run diagnostics on the hard drive - be careful. Before you retire tonite, schedule WIN 7 to do a ScanDisk run and reboot the PC. My 1 TB hard drive takes 4-5 hours to run ScanDisk with few or no errors found/repaired.

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 09:04 PM
Another thing is to check your hard drive , if they get near full that can slow things down.

Do a good defrag on your drive also.

Edit: just read the doc's post above , yes McAfee is a hog and almost a total bitch to get it
off and out of your system.

There are some very good a/v free programs. I like windows security essentials because it is light
and works with my windows 7 pro system very well.

Avast is a great a/v program. To each their own on what works for them.

Sparky
23rd December 2011, 09:05 PM
Are you using McAfee as your anti virus? if so that in its self can slow your system down. Down load cc cleaner and run it a few times. dump McAfee and try windows security essentials (free) it works. Plus If not using it, install malware bites and use the full blown trial run to clean out your system.

I have had Mcafee bog my systems down in the past. avoid them like the plague any more.

There are other things you can do but let's start at the basics first

I've used McAfee for years, and have never experienced a problem. (I did have problems with Norton bogging down my system, which is why I switched.)

Sometimes a go to a web side, and an ad pops up, or one of those "You have just won!" screens. Is CC cleaner only for removing unused files, or will it actually help with spyware? Maybe I should start with Spybot SD.

Sparky
23rd December 2011, 09:05 PM
Dog, I've already done a major removal of unused files, and defragmented.

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 09:28 PM
I've used McAfee for years, and have never experienced a problem. (I did have problems with Norton bogging down my system, which is why I switched.)

Sometimes a go to a web side, and an ad pops up, or one of those "You have just won!" screens. Is CC cleaner only for removing unused files, or will it actually help with spyware? Maybe I should start with Spybot SD.

cc is not for a/v or spy shit. It is a good system maintenance tool. Just for a grin, uninstall McAfee and trying avast or what ever. You will see a dramitic improvement in your system speed.

Popups are annoying and that sorta depends on your web browser, I use Fire fox and it blocks all popups or at least the very vast majority.

Spybot is good , but I use a wireless router and my router blocks most of the shit that wants to find a home in my system. I run spybot about every blue moon, but that is only me. Others may need to run it more often, just depends on where you go on the inter-web and such.

So good you did the basics on the defrag and cleaning files.

There are some windows tools if what above does not work,
I have some microshit links that I can post later, (long day)
that can check out your basic file and operating system to
make sure that your basic windows system is healthy..

Edit: For the forum if reminded, or such I will post the diagnostic and
repair link's to the tools I mentioned. They cover about all aspects
of the windows ecosystem to keep it healthy.
Tomorrow.

Ponce
23rd December 2011, 09:36 PM
Well, I am happy to say.....brabbing as usual.......that the only time that may lap top is down is when my feeder (frontier.com) messes up.......but as you kow I keep it at 78% empty...I am afraid to download anything ahahaahahahaha.

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 09:51 PM
Well, I am happy to say.....brabbing as usual.......that the only time that may lap top is down is when my feeder (frontier.com) messes up.......but as you kow I keep it at 78% empty...I am afraid to download anything ahahaahahahaha.

Stay protected my friend..

http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2010/january/giantcondom.jpg

TheNocturnalEgyptian
23rd December 2011, 09:56 PM
There is a brutal rootkit going around, I've seen 3 people infected with it in the last week. Are you getting popups from "Windows 7 Security 2012" which is asking you to pay $59.95 for a year of protection from viruses? This "countermeasure" itself IS the infection. It will tell you that you are infected, and offer to fix it for you if you provide your credit card number.

Oftentimes these will hijack your entire browser and not allow you to do much else except buy their product.

A few options, use "RKill" to kill any unknown .exe's (google to download it)
use "Hijack This!" to kill any unknown startup entries (you can remove legitimate entries too, so be conservative)

Use system recovery to rollback to preinfection period.

Please report back.

Sparky
23rd December 2011, 10:03 PM
I already restored to a date prior to the infection period. Didn't help with the slowness, though it did bring operability back to my computer.

I don't get the popup you mentioned.

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 10:07 PM
There is a brutal rootkit going around, I've seen 3 people infected with it in the last week. Are you getting popups from "Windows 7 Security 2012" which is asking you to pay $59.95 for a year of protection from viruses? This "countermeasure" itself IS the infection.

Oftentimes these will hijack your entire browser and not allow you to do much else except buy their product.

A few options, use "RKill" to kill any unknown .exe's
use "Hijack This!" to kill any unknown startup entries (you can remove legitimate entries too, so be conservative)

Use system recovery to rollback to preinfection period.

Please report back.

Dark camel driver ;D Just kidding you playing with the name..

Sparky not knowing how much you know about the windows 7 ecosystem I am posting this.

Some things are not for the nub.... Because you know as most that it is so easy to totally f.u.b.a.r up your system if you run or do anything you do not under stand completely the consequences.

Restore is great,

but right now we are taking baby steps and going forward at the same pace. It is easy to screw up what is not broke, by making assumptions.

Why nuke, when maybe a firecracker will work?

Just thinking and winding down for the night soon.

Edit: last for the night almost can not keep awake, sparky , run the programs listed in the posts above. I have to crash very soon and I have to dig for the links mentioned in my other posts. It may take a day or so posting , that direct contact or real time working together would speed things up. but stick with it here and you will or should be up and running again at full speed.

Don't panic and thanks for all of the fish! ;D

LuckyStrike
23rd December 2011, 10:09 PM
I already restored to a date prior to the infection period. Didn't help with the slowness, though it did bring operability back to my computer.

I don't get the popup you mentioned.

If you think your comp has a virus, run Combofix. Trust me.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Dogman
23rd December 2011, 10:18 PM
Last post for the night, Question? Have you installed or downloaded anything just beforeyou noticed your problem?

Edit: Dam LS that is a hydrogen bomb, and sparky if you do not know what your are doing with that program be very careful with it.

Recommend maybe to use as a last resort....

keehah
24th December 2011, 01:09 AM
Perhaps you have a task manager than shows cpu activity? And can kill things.

I'm speaking Mac here, but I love my activity monitor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activity_Monitor)

Die Nulls! Die strange thing I don't recognize! Die webpage that I can see is sending and/or receiving much B/s over the internet! Die one of the things there are two of.

Then after each hunt, all through the CPU, only a few percent was stirring, when I moved the mouse

vacuum
24th December 2011, 02:16 AM
Run combo fix, malwarebytes, and super anti spyware.

Make sure your fragmentation level is below 10%. Sometimes if you're like 70% fragmented running the windows defrag won't do anything. In that case you'd want a 3rd party defragmentation tool which could take up to 24 hours or more to defragment your hard drive. You'd need to run it several times.

chad
24th December 2011, 06:01 AM
there's probably about a billion things running in the background that don't need to be as well. run | msconfig | start tab | uncheck everything that isn't microsoft, intel, or a hardware related drive. there's probably adobe pdf helper, google updater, 20 others running in there + using up tons of system resources. if you want to tae a screenshot of what's in there and pm it to me, i'll tell you which ones to turn off. just make sure you stretch the name column so that i can see what it's called before you take the screenshot.

Book
24th December 2011, 06:16 AM
Run CCleaner in default settings

There is currently a conflict between CCleaner and Windows 7.

UNCHECK the default WINDOWS SEARCH boxes in the CCleaner control menu or it will force Windows 7 to rebuild the entire Indexing system. There is currently a thread about this program bug at the CCleaner forum.

:)

steyr_m
24th December 2011, 06:47 AM
When I used to run windows, I used to re-format my HDD every six months and re-install the OS. That always works.

Clonezilla makes the job easy now.

I've been running linux for 12 years now, never had a virus and always fast. [just saying]

Dogman
24th December 2011, 07:00 AM
When I used to run windows, I used to re-format my HDD every six months and re-install the OS. That always works.

Clonezilla makes the job easy now.

I've been running linux for 12 years now, never had a virus and always fast. [just saying]

Back in the past your reformatting the hd and the reinstall was almost a must for win95, and win98. Xp not so much, because system restore was introduced and restore in general made the necessary reformatting of the drive not an issue. Only in the most extreme screw ups that I had to wipe the system and start over.

Chad had an excellent suggestion about 'msconfig' and sparky disabling all of the junk and stuff that is loaded at start up. Then taking a hard look at what IS being loaded. Using a web search on every command or process to see just what program owns it or what it does.

Msconfig is a very powerful, tool that can help find where it hurts.

steyr_m
24th December 2011, 07:08 AM
Back in the past your reformatting the hd and the reinstall was almost a must for win95, and win98. Xp not so much, because system restore was introduced and restore in general made the necessary reformatting of the drive not an issue. Only in the most extreme screw ups that I had to wipe the system and start over.

Chad had an excellent suggestion about 'msconfig' and sparky disabling all of the junk and stuff that is loaded at start up. Then taking a hard look at what IS being loaded. Using a web search on every command or process to see just what program owns it or what it does.

Msconfig is a very powerful, tool that can help find where it hurts.

OK, I maybe shouldn't have commented. I haven't regularly used Windows since 2001, and then it was only for gaming. I built a new machine 2 years ago and left a 200 GB partition for windows if I ever wanted to play a game -- it's still sitting empty.

I'll stick with what I know....

Dogman
24th December 2011, 07:19 AM
OK, I maybe shouldn't have commented. I haven't regularly used Windows since 2001, and then it was only for gaming. I built a new machine 2 years ago and left a 200 GB partition for windows if I ever wanted to play a game -- it's still sitting empty.

I'll stick with what I know....

You did good, I just was not sure of what flavor of windows you were talking about. Xp as I said dam near eliminated the need to have and wipe the system squeaky clean and redo. With the newer flavors of the windows ecosystem, about the only need to nuke your system and reinstall is for the most major of screw ups.

Before xp came along , it was dam near an article of faith that reformatting and reinstalling had to be done every couple of months, 6 months was very common.

steyr_m
24th December 2011, 07:36 AM
You did good, I just was not sure of what flavor of windows you were talking about. Xp as I said dam near eliminated the need to have and wipe the system squeaky clean and redo. With the newer flavors of the windows ecosystem, about the only need to nuke your system and reinstall is for the most major of screw ups.

Before xp came along , it was dam near an article of faith that reformatting and reinstalling had to be done every couple of months, 6 months was very common.

Thanks. Yeah that is what I was doing.

The last Windows OS I ever used was Windows 2000 [not Windows Millennium]. It actually wasn't bad. I have an XP install disc, but never used it -- my 200 GB partition is still waiting.

95% of the things I do is with a web-browser. The other things are multimedia, and VLC handles that. I have no reason to install windows.

I used to be a big linux advocate; but I know people are sometimes apprehensive trying something new -- so I kind of gave up.

Sparky
24th December 2011, 07:50 AM
Ran CC Cleaner and Spybot. CC Cleaner got rid of a bunch of stuff; Spybot found nothing.

Same problem. Here's a screenshot of one of the ads that comes up repeatedly, and the processes that are running...

Dogman
24th December 2011, 07:52 AM
Thanks. Yeah that is what I was doing.

The last Windows OS I ever used was Windows 2000 [not Windows Millennium]. It actually wasn't bad. I have an XP install disc, but never used it -- my 200 GB partition is still waiting.

95% of the things I do is with a web-browser. The other things are multimedia, and VLC handles that. I have no reason to install windows.

I used to be a big linux advocate; but I know people are sometimes apprehensive trying something new -- so I kind of gave up.

Have played with linux but I never got into it. It is a great system for those that want to tweak and play with the command line like the Dos ecosystem of old, Hell still have some old laptops that uses dos shell programs. 1 meg max memory on some and one 8 meg memory unit. it does run win 3.3 or so, have not booted it in a while, use that one in my ham shack to control my Kantronics kam all mode.

chad
24th December 2011, 07:56 AM
Ran CC Cleaner and Spybot. CC Cleaner got rid of a bunch of stuff; Spybot found nothing.

Same problem. Here's a screenshot of one of the ads that comes up repeatedly, and the processes that are running...

can you redo the screen shot an maybe upload it to tinypic and link to it from there instead of using the gsus attachment feature? it's too blurry and i can't read it.

Dogman
24th December 2011, 08:11 AM

If running Firefox, install a block and disable popups or find that will work with your browser. Others may have more of a clue.. Looks like you do not have a system problem, and more of a browser problem.

What browser do you use?

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1252&bih=605&q=adblock+&btnG=Search&oq=adblock+&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=232783l235599l1l242827l8l8l0l3l3l0l204l783l 1.3.1l5l0

Dogman
24th December 2011, 08:14 AM
can you redo the screen shot an maybe upload it to tinypic and link to it from there instead of using the gsus attachment feature? it's too blurry and i can't read it. There are two conhost.exe's running that seems strange.

chad
24th December 2011, 08:14 AM
alright sparky, do this.

go here: malwarebytes.org

download and install the free version. start it up, but do not run it. update it. then, close all of your anti-virus, firewall stuff, etc. and disconnect from the net. then, run malwarebytes. it will find and destroy the nasty you have.

steyr_m
24th December 2011, 08:36 AM
Have played with linux but I never got into it. It is a great system for those that want to tweak and play with the command line like the Dos ecosystem of old, Hell still have some old laptops that uses dos shell programs. 1 meg max memory on some and one 8 meg memory unit. it does run win 3.3 or so, have not booted it in a while, use that one in my ham shack to control my Kantronics kam all mode.

I don't play with the command line much. I use a GUI...

Dogman
24th December 2011, 09:01 AM
I don't play with the command line much. I use a GUI...

1950 Nice background ;D

I cut my teeth with cpm and then dos, always loved the command line with all the wonderful switches. Then the shell programs came along that sorta made things easier, especially for friends at the time that did not want to learn commands and their uses, that at that time I was the grue for several business and friends in the very early days of the pc.

The GUI has spoiled me rotten, and now only visit the command line when all else fails. Still have EVERY release of Dos and Windows( except win 2000 and visa) Growing moldy and taking up space somewhere in this house.

Sparkey look at your firewall, and upgrade it if you can. and make sure that your a/v programs are up to date. And make it a religion to run a scan on your system every day or so. If you have good up to date protection programs running you will not have the problem you have.

But never get into the old 'out of sight, out of mind' comfort level.

Always make sure you scan your system like clockwork. We have a much loved lady member here that just recently learned or relearned that lesson.

Just saying.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
24th December 2011, 10:58 AM
Are we even sure sparky is infected at this point? It seems like he's run every anti-malware program and come up with nothing.

Is your harddisk full? If so, this causes slowness. It needs to have about 3% free to move files around.

Dogman
24th December 2011, 11:08 AM
Are we even sure sparky is infected at this point? It seems like he's run every anti-malware program and come up with nothing.

Is your harddisk full? If so, this causes slowness. It needs to have about 3% free to move files around. He may have a ad monster or such, We or I went off the deep end about his problem trying to cover all possible causes. But then he posted that pic, and that may have been it Chad is right.

Sparky's system probably is just fine. But It still does not hurt to clean and take the trash out, that usually makes them run better.

Just shooting shit, between sparky's reports on his progress.

Joe King
24th December 2011, 11:10 AM

Congratulations! Yoiu've got an infection!

Run RKill http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe
Run Malwarebytes http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe Make sure to update it.
Run the Eset scanner http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ Click "advanced setting" and check "scan archives" and "scan for potentially unsafe applications"

Sparky
24th December 2011, 01:24 PM

Is your harddisk full? If so, this causes slowness. It needs to have about 3% free to move files around.

I have a 300 Gig hard drive, which is about 30% full.

I tried Chad's suggestion and removed everything from Startup. No change.

Why does my task manager not show my system as being more taxed. CPU Usage 30%, Physical Memory 48%. Is that a lot?

steyr_m
24th December 2011, 01:38 PM
Nice background ;D

I cut my teeth with cpm and then dos, always loved the command line with all the wonderful switches. Then the shell programs came along that sorta made things easier, especially for friends at the time that did not want to learn commands and their uses, that at that time I was the grue for several business and friends in the very early days of the pc.

Thanks, I switch them around ever now and then.

I use the command line sometimes. I don't really learn them. I just have a .txt file with the one's I need and copy/paste them

I go here often for new ideas

http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse

lapis
24th December 2011, 02:37 PM
There was a good thread about these programs a few weeks back which turned out to be a godsend, because my computer started to get really slow when it was connected to the Internet. I installed CCleaner (I was running Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes already) and ran the Cleaner and Registry tools, and it seemed to fix whatever was causing the problem (I hope!). Now I run all three programs religiously, as I wasn't doing that before.

Book
24th December 2011, 02:47 PM
Why does my task manager not show my system as being more taxed. CPU Usage 30%, Physical Memory 48%. Is that a lot?

Your computer should be idling at 1% or 2% while viewing the Task Manager. Observe the Processes view to find the culprit.

Dogman
24th December 2011, 02:56 PM
This is a Microsoft safety scanner that may help. It is time limited once downloaded and ran, it will expire in 10 days. Read at the link the instructions.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

This is a good link to some Microsoft tools.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

lapis
24th December 2011, 04:53 PM
What setting can I change in CCleaner to not let the GSUS site forget my password? It seems like every other time I try to post, I get a message saying that I'm not logged in, even if I check "Remember me" when I log on.

Book
24th December 2011, 05:05 PM
What setting can I change in CCleaner to not let the GSUS site forget my password?

Best to not have any automatic logons. Somebody gets possession of your computer and they get instant access into your email accounts and forum accounts and even maybe your banking account.

Firefox has an intelligent menu option to prevent "remember password" action.

lapis
24th December 2011, 05:09 PM
OK, so then it's better for me security-wise to put up with GSUS kicking me off every time I want to post? *sigh*

Dogman
24th December 2011, 05:16 PM
OK, so then it's better for me security-wise to put up with GSUS kicking me off every time I want to post? *sigh* In CC's top menu applications.
uncheck all of the Firefox/Mozilla boxes. If you are using FF.

If using IE uncheck all of them.

Then see if the problem goes away, and if it does, re check your boxes one at a time and run , this may take several days or more, but sooner or later you will check the action that is responsible for blowing you off this forum.

Some one here may have a better answer?

Book
24th December 2011, 05:25 PM
OK, so then it's better for me security-wise to put up with GSUS kicking me off every time I want to post? *sigh*

When you logon to GSUS there is a little REMEMBER ME? checkbox that you should check every time you logon. This will prevent you from getting bumped off when trying to post.

This is independent from your browser "remember passwords" which is a security risk.

:)

vacuum
25th December 2011, 01:50 AM
Run combo fix, malwarebytes, and super anti spyware.

Make sure your fragmentation level is below 10%. Sometimes if you're like 70% fragmented running the windows defrag won't do anything. In that case you'd want a 3rd party defragmentation tool which could take up to 24 hours or more to defragment your hard drive. You'd need to run it several times.
After looking into it a little more, do not run combo fix unless instructed to by an expert. It's a dangerous program designed to be a last resort.

Spectrism
25th December 2011, 05:25 AM
Another possibility that I did not see mentioned.... rather than software being the issue (and it usually is), you may have a failing memory hardware.

Bigjon
25th December 2011, 08:57 AM
This won't fix your problem, but it may save you some grief after you get it fixed.
MicroSoft Security Essentials is a free anti-virus program for all running genuine windows software.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials/support?mkt=en-us

lapis
25th December 2011, 10:22 AM
When you logon to GSUS there is a little REMEMBER ME? checkbox that you should check every time you logon. This will prevent you from getting bumped off when trying to post.

This is independent from your browser "remember passwords" which is a security risk.

That's what I do, but I still get kicked off when I go to reply to a thread, especially if I start my reply in the "Quick Reply" window and then click the "Go Advanced" button. Instead of going to that window, I get a message saying I'm not logged on.

Since this has been happening I try to remember to select and copy the text before I click the button, so that when I finally do get in the "Go Advanced" window after logging on yet again, I can paste it in there.

However most of the time if I want to preview what I wrote, I get kicked off again with a message that I'm not logged on, and this can happen several times when I want to preview my messages before I hit the "Submit Reply" button.

Cebu_4_2
25th December 2011, 11:56 AM
If your running firefox go to tools/options/security click remember passwords. Some of the scanners change this setting without your knowledge.

Sparky
25th December 2011, 07:10 PM
Ok, I'm back in business. My son suggested I run Malwarebytes in Windows while simultaneously running Rogue Killer from DOS. It worked like a charm. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to offer suggestions. Merry Christmas!

Dogman
25th December 2011, 07:20 PM
Very good , glad for you. what was it. do you have a log or something to name the critter that was causing your problem?

LuckyStrike
25th December 2011, 09:14 PM
After looking into it a little more, do not run combo fix unless instructed to by an expert. It's a dangerous program designed to be a last resort.

I'm an expert and I instructed him to.

Dogman
25th December 2011, 09:17 PM
I'm an expert and I instructed him to. win7 64 bit is not compatible did you warn him? It will run but who knows the end result. because of the screen freezes and such.

LuckyStrike
25th December 2011, 09:25 PM
win7 64 bit is not compatible did you warn him? It will run but who knows the end result. because of the screen freezes and such.

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:

Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)

WAAAY to much disinfo out there in the world, tech support is no different.

steyr_m
25th December 2011, 09:39 PM
All this Windows stuff is way too confusing. I used to think Linux was hard. Yes, it's a bit harder to administer, but finding out what is the latest/greatest to fix your broken system is f-ed.

Dogman
25th December 2011, 10:03 PM
At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:

Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)

WAAAY to much disinfo out there in the world, tech support is no different. yea but you did not ask what he was running! point counter point.,

LuckyStrike
25th December 2011, 10:06 PM
yea but you did not ask what he was running! point counter point.,

If he is having "slow computer problems" he is running Windows, and odds are he isn't using a version older than 10 years. I rolled the dice.

Dogman
25th December 2011, 10:11 PM
If he is having "slow computer problems" he is running Windows, and odds are he isn't using a version older than 10 years. I rolled the dice.Understand, in a way, but only.

The dam trend has been going 64 , so you made an shot in the dark, expert. think about it , a question likt that would be natural.You did not ask it.

Kid you have some growing to do..

And I called it right.