PDA

View Full Version : Herb Baths & Foot Baths ~

Old Herb Lady
27th December 2011, 05:53 PM
( it's like taking a bath in a BIG cup o' tea ! LOL )

Herbal Baths and Foot Baths

Herbal baths and foot baths are a relaxing and enjoyable way of getting the benefits from herbal teas. The healing properties of herbs are absorbed through the skin and entered into the bloodstream. This can have a powerful effect on the mind, body, and spirit
Recommended water temperature is 96-98° F. A higher temperature helps promote sleep while a lower temperature helps energize the body. Soaking your body in the tub or your feet in a basin for 15-20 minutes is suffice.

For herbal baths, prepare 4 cups of strong tea and add to bath water.

For foot baths, prepare 2 cups of strong tea and add to a basin of water.

You can add one herb or a combination of herbs in your tea.

Stress (herbal baths or foot baths):
chamomile
valerian
linden flower
lemon balm
jasmine
meadowsweet
passion flower.

Sleep (herbal baths are best):
chamomile
valerian
hops
skullcap.

Aches and Pains (herbal baths or foot baths, depending on the source):
ginger
rosemary
lavender
catnip
mullein
marjoram.

Boost Energy (herbal baths are best):
basil
mint
sage
thyme.

Colds and Influenza (herbal baths or foot baths):
eucalyptus
ginger
thyme
peppermint.

Skin Problems (herbal baths or foot baths, depending on the source):
thyme (especially for cuts and wounds)
lavender (especially for cuts and wounds)
oregano (especially for skin infections)
red clover (especially for eczema and psoriasis)
echinacea (especially for eczema, psoriasis, and boils)
nettle (especially for eczema, psoriasis, and hives)
peppermint (especially for burns and rashes).

Increasing Libido (herbal baths are best):
damiana
sage
rose.

Athletes Foot (foot baths are best):
ginger
juniper berry
thyme.

Deodorizer (herbal baths or foot baths, depending on the source):
eucalyptus
lovage
pine
sage

To further enhance relaxation when taking an herbal bath or doing a foot bath, light a scented candle (such as chamomile, lavender, or honeysuckle), play some soft music, and/or read a good book.

Golden
27th December 2011, 06:14 PM
I'm trying this! Too bad I don't have a nice tub...yet.

muffin
29th December 2011, 06:55 PM
Oh I love a hot bubbly bath! Can't do it too often tho....

zap
29th December 2011, 07:32 PM
Me too Muffin, to bad everytime I want to take a bath, knothead wants to get in !

ximmy
29th December 2011, 08:24 PM
some day...
http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1976&d=1325219047

hoarder
31st December 2011, 05:04 AM
What do people take baths in these days? They used to make bathtubs to fit humans 60 years ago, now they make them to fit a 5' long space, meaning the tub is 4' at the bottom. All standard tubs are basically useless unless you're a midget. I'm average height and weight for a man and the only way I can soak my torso is to lay in the tub with knees in the air and even then the water goes down the overflow before my chest is completely covered.

If you upgrade, all the tubs are much wider than any normal person wants or needs and would require me to have a gigantic water heater to fill. Most of the upgrade tubs have water jets, but this adds a lot of cost and energy consumption. The maintenance on them is a nightmare and I don't need water jets douching my a$$.

I've spent several hours on the internet trying to find an ordinary bathtub that normal sized people can soak in and have not found anything yet.

muffin
31st December 2011, 07:54 AM
What do people take baths in these days? They used to make bathtubs to fit humans 60 years ago, now they make them to fit a 5' long space, meaning the tub is 4' at the bottom. All standard tubs are basically useless unless you're a midget. I'm average height and weight for a man and the only way I can soak my torso is to lay in the tub with knees in the air and even then the water goes down the overflow before my chest is completely covered.

If you upgrade, all the tubs are much wider than any normal person wants or needs and would require me to have a gigantic water heater to fill. Most of the upgrade tubs have water jets, but this adds a lot of cost and energy consumption. The maintenance on them is a nightmare and I don't need water jets douching my a$$.

I've spent several hours on the internet trying to find an ordinary bathtub that normal sized people can soak in and have not found anything yet.
You know, I've never thought about it. I've always just bent my knees and layed down. Guess it doesn't make sense, huh?

My question is, why do all the older tubs have straight backs? The one in L.A. in the guest bathroom (the original 1952 part of the house) that we had was like that. And now this newer house we live in (1985), the master bath is like this. Makes me mad! I can't lay back and relax!! WHYYYYYYY????? What were they thinking????

muffin
31st December 2011, 07:58 AM
How about a soaker tub, hoarder?

Here's one on overstock. (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Venetian-White-72x36-inch-Soaker-Tub/5881711/product.html?cid=123620)

It holds 60 gallons! Holy hell!

Nevermind....

ETA: Looks like most of them are about 60 gallons....

muffin
31st December 2011, 08:07 AM
Ooor how about one of these?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/437160562/Freestanding_resin_outdoor_bathtub_WTM_02601.html

This is what I really want....

http://www.sunset.com/garden/landscaping-design/santa-rosa-california-bathing-beauty-00400000016877/

hoarder
31st December 2011, 08:21 AM
Some folks in Montana have outdoor baths made out of six foot diameter galvanized cattle watering throughs. It's more of a hillbilly hot tub. They submerge a smaller trough inside it and place a woodstove inside that smaller trough. Sometimes they put the whole thing inside an outbuilding they call a bathhouse. They sit in the tub outside and drink when there's snow on the ground.
That's not for me though. I don't like getting out of a tub and into the cold.

All I want is something like a standard tub (no wider) only 18" or so longer and about an inch deeper. A few years ago my neighbor, who was building his log home asked me where you get one just like I described. This is something there is a demand for but no supply.

Old Herb Lady
31st December 2011, 01:10 PM
Hoarder they still make the regular sized cast iron tubs. You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot but they have to order them for you.
Also any plumbing supply warehouse places, you can check there too.
Most places don't carry them anymore because they're too heavy & they don't like to have to deal with the
shipping & weight & aggravation, they're not big sellers, difficult to move around etc.
Kohler still makes them, but whew, pricey !

I live in a big 100 year old farmhouse-style home & we renovate pieces here & there as time & frn's allow,
and we threw away our old tub & got the big ass whirlpool one that practically 5 people could fit in.
Your right, it is a big waste of hot water, but I LOVE ma big herb baths & jamming to some music !

I am really into bathrooms & tubs & all phases of bathroom renovations even down to laying tile & grout.
We recently tore out a bedroom and converted it into a bathroom. What a nighmare. Insane.
Now that it's done, it was worth the ridiculousness that went into it !
If I could post a picture, I would, but my pics here never work.

Good Luck with finding the tub you want & hope you get a relaxing herb bath sooner than later !