PDA

View Full Version : chad's stove review thread

chad
29th December 2011, 12:59 PM
so, as many of you know, i have a problem with stoves. from time to time, people pm me and ask me about this or that model

recently i was talking with awoke, and he pointed out that although i own lots of them, i haven't field tested hardly any of them. very good point + something i need to remedy.

so, what i'm doing is starting this thread. i'm going to post pics of the stoves, price paid, link to where you can buy it if you like it, type of fuel it uses, and how it performs.

hopefully, this thread will help some of you make a good survival stove choice. it will also serve to satisfy my need to constantly have to be messing around with stoves. ;D

also, feel free to add to this thread with reviews of your own. i need to buy some more stoves. ;D

osoab
29th December 2011, 01:14 PM
sweet

mamboni
29th December 2011, 01:17 PM
so, as many of you know, i have a problem with stoves. from time to time, people pm me and ask me about this or that model

recently i was talking with awoke, and he pointed out that although i own lots of them, i haven't field tested hardly any of them. very good point + something i need to remedy.

so, what i'm doing is starting this thread. i'm going to post pics of the stoves, price paid, link to where you can buy it if you like it, type of fuel it uses, and how it performs.

hopefully, this thread will help some of you make a good survival stove choice. it will also serve to satisfy my need to constantly have to be messing around with stoves. ;D

also, feel free to add to this thread with reviews of your own. i need to buy some more stoves. ;D

You have a stove fetish Chad?

Have you tried feet instead?

osoab
29th December 2011, 01:18 PM

What is the clinical name for a stove fetish Doc?

Dogman
29th December 2011, 01:21 PM
Not the doc, but this comes to mind!

Frigophobia

chad
29th December 2011, 01:21 PM
first up, the hurricane brand portachef. i have 2 of these, and i also own the coleman brand called the breeze 750. you can find countless knock offs of the design at almost any camping store or food supply outlet (they're used a lot in catering).

these stoves cost around $35-40, they're fairly cheap. almost all of them come with a micro piezzo self-iginition system. they all have flame control as well.

they're butane fueled, which i find kind of a turn off. if you order butane canisters online, you have to pay an extra hazmat fee which makes fuel purchases expensive. also, most sporting and camping stores have stopped stocking the fuel canisters the last few years (even though they sell the stoves, go figure). if you buy one of these, make sure to buy a large cache of fuel canisters, because you never know when you'll see some again. most canisters run around $4 or so.

this stove is designed for sustained, low heat cooking. think frying bacon, pancakes, maybe an egg, heating up MREs, etc. heat output is only 7,500 BTU, so they take a long time to do stuff like boiling water. plus, since it's butane, they're extremely bad in windy conditions (not totally useless, but approaching useless).

if you just need to warm something up or cook something that requires low heat (out of the wind), this stove is great. otherwise, pass.

place to buy online: http://porta-chef.com/

chad
29th December 2011, 01:24 PM

i have not, but may! :)

mamboni
29th December 2011, 01:39 PM
What is the clinical name for a stove fetish Doc?

Typheinophilia

chad
29th December 2011, 01:42 PM
sterno brand stove. these are also sold by a company named coghland, and there's countless knock offs out there as well. i have a few in varying different designs, they basically all work the same.

these are cheap, the most i've paid for one was $9. they're primarily designed for sterno cans, but you can also use fuel tabs in them. if you want to buy fuel tabs, esbit is a good brand. i prefer the fuel tabs, because unlike sterno, there's no chance of them leaking out all over other stuff in my bag, and they burn hotter than sterno.

this stove is also designed for sustained low heat cooking. they put out even less heat than butane. they're completely worthless in any type of wind. personally, i only use them for warming up leftover stuff out of the cooler at camp or for maybe cooking an egg. you'll never boil water or do any anything serious with them. but, they're small + compact, so they're a good prep item to just "toss in."

place to buy online: http://www.campmor.com/coghlans-metal-folding-stove.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=87526WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

esbit fuel tabs: http://www.rei.com/product/653344/esbit-solid-fuel-tablets?preferredSku=6533440019?cm_mmc&mr:trackingCode=8482071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

solid
29th December 2011, 02:12 PM
This is the stove I do all my cooking with (with the exception of barbequing). It's a very tough stove, one that I trust my life to if needed.

The pros: Bulletproof, nothing to break or wear out. Been cooking on it for a year now, still same performance. Runs on denatured alcohol, or any flammable liquid. No pressurized gas. You can store your fuel in 5 gallon gas cans. It's the simplest, most reliable stove, on the planet. Also, the safest stove.

The cons: none imo, other than price. It is expensive, but this stove will outlast me in my lifetime. The flame isn't as hot as a gas stove, but it's close enough though.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|694|319792&id=60257

chad
29th December 2011, 02:25 PM
This is the stove I do all my cooking with (with the exception of barbequing). It's a very tough stove, one that I trust my life to if needed.

The pros: Bulletproof, nothing to break or wear out. Been cooking on it for a year now, still same performance. Runs on denatured alcohol, or any flammable liquid. No pressurized gas. You can store your fuel in 5 gallon gas cans. It's the simplest, most reliable stove, on the planet. Also, the safest stove.

The cons: none imo, other than price. It is expensive, but this stove will outlast me in my lifetime. The flame isn't as hot as a gas stove, but it's close enough though.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|694|319792&id=60257

hey, i was just out for a walk and i was thinking "i should pm solid and ask him to do a review of his origo." you must have heard me thinking :)

edit: i just ordered one from that link you provided. i've been meaning to for like 2 years. everytime you talk about one, i mean to buy one. this time i did. going to set it up out in my garage for the fish fry station. :)

solid
29th December 2011, 02:41 PM
edit: i just ordered one from that link you provided. i've been meaning to for like 2 years. everytime you talk about one, i mean to buy one. this time i did. going to set it up out in my garage for the fish fry station. :)

I really hope you like it. It's made out of solid stainless steel, and there's no moving parts really. So, it should last damn near forever. I should say I have not tested this in the wind, it's installed down below on my boat. I use about a gallon of denatured alcohol a month. I keep around 20 gallons onboard, so I figure I could comfortably cook for a whole year off the grid.

Filling the canisters is fairly easy. Just hold them at a 45 degree angle and fill it up until you see the liquid start to pool at the bottom edge. The canisters come with a rubber piece to cover when not in use. Denatured alcohol evaporates fairly quick, so keep them covered if you are not going to use the stove for awhile.

Old Herb Lady
29th December 2011, 03:14 PM
Looking for reviews on stoves, where is your clinical studies on the stoves you’re talking about? I don’t mean your personal experience with them . I need actual proof on studies and testing from Underwriters Lab, ASTM standards on all materials used in the stove as well as how each component holds up under sustained use and temperature. Also buying butane by the case may raise some suspicions as well. Also, using your stove in the garage could cause one to asphyxiate ?

chad
29th December 2011, 03:22 PM
Looking for reviews on stoves, where is your clinical studies on the stoves you’re talking about? I don’t mean your personal experience with them . I need actual proof on studies and testing from Underwriters Lab, ASTM standards on all materials used in the stove as well as how each component holds up under sustained use and temperature. Also buying butane by the case may raise some suspicions as well. Also, using your stove in the garage could cause one to asphyxiate ?

i'm going to just gloss over this juvenile attempt at derailing my thread. i apologize in advance to everyone for ohl's stalking me because i dared question her earlier in an entirely unrelated thread.

Old Herb Lady
29th December 2011, 03:27 PM
i'm going to just gloss over this juvenile attempt at derailing my thread. i apologize in advance to everyone for ohl's stalking me because i dared question her earlier in an entirely unrelated thread.

No research studies to give me an answer then ? That's what I thought. I'll believe when I get the clinical trial reports until then I am just a happy small person who dares to question your arrogance. It's ok for you to constantly , continually do it to me but if I ask you a question, I'm "derailing". OK sure Chad.
It's only ok for you, but not for me to ask questions.

solid
29th December 2011, 03:28 PM
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

Old Herb Lady
29th December 2011, 03:30 PM

Don't mess with a nice person is my version of that quote.

osoab
29th December 2011, 03:31 PM

I'm staying out of this one.

chad
29th December 2011, 03:36 PM
No research studies to give me an answer then ? That's what I thought. I'll believe when I get the clinical trial reports until then I am just a happy small person who dares to question your arrogance. It's ok for you to constantly , continually do it to me but if I ask you a question, I'm "derailing". OK sure Chad.
It's only ok for you, but not for me to ask questions.

i've challenged you twice during the entire existence of gs-us. once about vitamins, and last night/this morning about coffee enemas. that hardly qualifies as "constantly."

Old Herb Lady
29th December 2011, 03:44 PM
i've challenged you twice during the entire existence of gs-us. once about vitamins, and last night/this morning about coffee enemas. that hardly qualifies as "constantly."

Oh ok You've challenged me twice, two threads more than one post, probably a dozen.
I can't even ask you a question once then ? I'm just a small person not knowing and asking you questions about wood stoves .

Eta: Oh you've already EDITED OUT your "small person" wording.

chad
29th December 2011, 03:54 PM
Oh ok You've challenged me twice, two threads more than one post, probably a dozen.
I can't even ask you a question once then ? I'm just a small person not knowing and asking you questions about wood stoves .

you keep posting about what a nice old person you are, but you don't really pull it off very well. it doesn't please me to say it, but you're probably the one person on this board i cannot stand. whenever anyone questions your knowledge of natural healing/herbs (vitamin + coffee thread for example, there's others involving other people), you come out with this "woe is me i'm only trying to help people but i'm getting attacked" schtick that then gets followed up with passive aggressive behavior. now you've taken to stalking me and trying to derail threads by posting nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. i actually agree with about 90% of everything you post, but then you do things like this and it makes me think you have mental issues.

edit: i thought it might cross the line, but okay, i think you are a small person.

Old Herb Lady
29th December 2011, 04:08 PM
Good get it out. I like it. Make it clear then, Mr OH SO BELOVED ARROGANT CHAD, ( i know how u love caps)
Stay away from my posts & I will stay away from your posts.
I'm really not that nice of a person to people who annoy me constantly, if I was I would have the ability to laugh off your arrogance & attention needing .

If you cannot stand me, then you should have put me on ignore a long time ago. You don't like to hear the truth.
Every time you disagree with a truth, you go into attack mode to defend your ego.
Stalking you, puh-lease. It's called doing to you what you do to me.

Being a bitch to you is the way that I am when I am defending nature.
Ever hear of the "war against nature". You are part of it & are too arrogant & ignorant to know it.
So if I question you as you question me, or give you what you've given me you say I have a mental issue.
beee-yoooo-teee-ful !

So any results on the wood stove studies ? :)

chad
29th December 2011, 04:18 PM
okay, so this thread is pretty much ruined then.

Old Herb Lady
29th December 2011, 04:19 PM
No not at all, I will go ahead & delete all of my posts in this thread so you can carry on your thread.

chad
29th December 2011, 04:24 PM
oh, don't do that, i'd prefer that you leave them so that everyone here can see how unreasonable i am.

chad
29th December 2011, 04:30 PM
I really hope you like it. It's made out of solid stainless steel, and there's no moving parts really. So, it should last damn near forever. I should say I have not tested this in the wind, it's installed down below on my boat. I use about a gallon of denatured alcohol a month. I keep around 20 gallons onboard, so I figure I could comfortably cook for a whole year off the grid.

Filling the canisters is fairly easy. Just hold them at a 45 degree angle and fill it up until you see the liquid start to pool at the bottom edge. The canisters come with a rubber piece to cover when not in use. Denatured alcohol evaporates fairly quick, so keep them covered if you are not going to use the stove for awhile.

can you burn anything else in it, or only denatured alcohol? in a pinch, could you use say bacardi 151, rubbing alcohol, heet, etc?

solid
29th December 2011, 04:30 PM
Chad, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these...

This is the old vintage one, a heater and back up stove, by the same company Origo. The new one is around $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGO-HEAT-PAL-5000-ICE-FISHING-HEATER-MADE-SWEDEN-60s-W-BOX-/180768639602

solid
29th December 2011, 04:32 PM
can you burn anything else in it, or only denatured alcohol? in a pinch, could you use say bacardi 151, rubbing alcohol, heet, etc?

I haven't used anything but denatured alcohol in mine, but any liquid that's flammable should work. So, yes, you should be able to use any of those in a pinch. It will make more sense when you see this stove.

This stove is great because of it's simplicity.

Also, I should add, at home depot denatured alcohol is around $16 a gallon. At my local chandlery, I can get it for $12 a gallon. Also, home depot flags you, you need an id to buy it. I think this is because of meth labs, but am not sure. If you stockpile denatured alcohol, you could be profiled. It sucks.

chad
29th December 2011, 04:49 PM
I haven't used anything but denatured alcohol in mine, but any liquid that's flammable should work. So, yes, you should be able to use any of those in a pinch. It will make more sense when you see this stove.

This stove is great because of it's simplicity.

Also, I should add, at home depot denatured alcohol is around $16 a gallon. At my local chandlery, I can get it for $12 a gallon. Also, home depot flags you, you need an id to buy it. I think this is because of meth labs, but am not sure. If you stockpile denatured alcohol, you could be profiled. It sucks.

awesome. i actually already have a lot of denatured alcohol because my cat stoves all run off of it. my buddy has a foundry and he uses it for something or other, i get cans of it from him so i'm already off the grid so to speak.

mightymanx
29th December 2011, 10:15 PM
I am still lusting on about the Biolite. (yes I have reserved one and got sent a cute little wood moc up)
http://biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

It might just be the one to replace my MSR Whisperlite from 1987. All others tested by me to date have been tried and rejected.

Mouse
30th December 2011, 03:22 AM
Very nice recovery. Thanks so much for the info, please keep it coming. I would be more interested if you have stoves that CAN boil water in decent quantities, runs on sticks and twigs, and etc. Like in case you are in a real survival situation :)

Got any rocket stoves or such?

thanks for a nice thread and lets keep it that way.

muffin
30th December 2011, 07:31 AM
I would be more interested if you have stoves that CAN boil water in decent quantities, runs on sticks and twigs, and etc. Like in case you are in a real survival situation :)

Yeah, it's called building a campfire ::) .... Learning to do that in any situation is the greatest value.

Edit: that biolite homestove looks pretty damn cool.

chad
30th December 2011, 07:33 AM
here's a good one mouse.

woodgas stove. this is probably in my top 3 favorites, and i actually recommended it to awoke for a survival type situation. it's around $50 for the base model, $75 if you want the larger one for a longer burn time without refueling.

this stove will burn almost anything. pinecones, dry grass, leaves, twigs, whatever you find that 's dry, throw it in there and this stove will burn it. due to the way the airflow works, it's also very clean with almost nothing to clean up after a good burn. i've also used those stove pellets you can buy at the hardware store in this stove. anything works.

the only downside to this stove is that it requires batteries for the blower fan. also, the battery unit looks really flimsy to me. mine has never broken, but i bought a few extra packs just in case it breaks someday. if the pack goes, the stove is useless. you'll want to have extra batteries on board or a solar charger + rechargables if you're going to buy this stove.

it's designed for normal cooking. it's fairly wind proof and will boil water in around 8 or 9 minutes. another good thing about it is that it has a platform on top that will accommodate larger pans, etc. it won't tip over easily. this is a solid cooker.

place to buy online: http://www.woodgas-stove.com/

muffin
30th December 2011, 07:40 AM
here's a good one mouse.

woodgas stove. [/URL]

Could you use it without the fan? That's a pretty neat little contraption.

This thread makes me want to go camping!

chad
30th December 2011, 07:52 AM
trangia alcohol stove. again, in my top 3. i have 5 of these. 1 in each car, 1 in my camper, 1 in my boat, and one in my bob. you can find them all over for around $20. check out ebay, they frequently go for as low as $15.

the beauty of this stove is that it has no moving parts + is made of brass (if you want titanium instead, there's also a brand called evernew which is a copy of the trangia). so, you can't really break it save running over it with a f-150 or something. it's like solid's origo, it'll burn rubbing alcohol, yellow heet (don't use red heet, too much fouling and it'll clog the jets), denatured alcohol, high proof liquor, etc. you pour an ounce or so in, and light it up.

there's a simmer ring on it that controls how big the flame gets, but it really takes some messing around to get this down. most of the time i don't mess with it.

this stove's heat output is designed for mid-range type cooking (frying fish, hamburger, etc.). it'll boil water if you have it out of the wind, but it takes awhile. you'll want to make/buy some sort of windscreen as well, because it's fairly useless in a high wind environment. most of the kits on ebay all include a windscreen. you'll also want to make/buy some sort of potstand for it (most of the ebay kits also have these).

i really like this stove, as it's impossible to break + you can dump almost any kind of alcohol in it and be ready to go.

place to buy online: ebay or http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Mountain-Trangia-Spirit-Alcohol/dp/B000N8L90Y

avoid trangia's site, they try to sell you overpriced kits.

chad
30th December 2011, 07:53 AM
Could you use it without the fan? That's a pretty neat little contraption.

This thread makes me want to go camping!

you can, but then it burns sooty and pretty much doesn't work very well. i only tried it once.

chad
30th December 2011, 07:58 AM
I am still lusting on about the Biolite. (yes I have reserved one and got sent a cute little wood moc up)
http://biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

It might just be the one to replace my MSR Whisperlite from 1987. All others tested by me to date have been tried and rejected.

me too :) wasn't that little wood ornament thing cool? i stuck mine on the xmas tree.

mamboni
30th December 2011, 08:03 AM
Have you heard about the Turdomatic Stove?

chad
30th December 2011, 08:12 AM
Have you heard about the Turdomatic Stove?

ah yes, highly utilized in washington d.c.!

muffin
30th December 2011, 08:24 AM
ah yes, highly utilized in washington d.c.!
They don't need a stove to stay warm. All that comes out of their mouths is hot air.....

chad
30th December 2011, 08:33 AM
stovetec brand rocket stove. this is a workhorse stove. imagine all the power is out, you have to cook for 20 people, and all you have is sticks you foraged out of the woods. this is your stove for that.

this stove is fairly expensive, coming in at $80 for the base model. there is also an optional water pasteurizer you can buy for it, making it a dual purpose survival type item. from the $80 base model, you can upgrade to extra doors, wider models, etc. i have the base model, and it does everything i need it to do. it's the camp stove for 14 people when i go to canada.

the stovetec is designed to burn charcoal, twigs, or small sticks of wood. if you're burning wood, there is a nice feature it has where you can just keep shoving long branches in to it via a load ramp. there's no need to saw things up in to sizes that fit. it's built solidly as well. this stove will not fall apart if you take care of it.

cooking wise, it comes in at almost 24,000 BTU, so you can do anything you want to with it. it works fine in windy conditions. you can cook for hours on it with very little fuel. i've made stews, fried fish on it, fried chicken breasts on it, cooked pork chops, etc. it's a great unit for a bug out location/cabin type setting.

place to buy online: http://www.stovetec.net/

chad
30th December 2011, 08:55 AM
if you want a rocket stove, but you think you need something heavier duty than the stove-tec, there's a guy on ebay who makes them out of heavy steel. here's one i picked up. it works the same as the stove-tec.

place to buy online: http://myworld.ebay.com/allenserene/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

chad
31st December 2011, 07:40 AM
coleman perfectflow. there's lots of variations of this stove, almost every manufacturer out there has an iteration of it. they usually run around $25 or less.

the stove runs on a 1 pound lp gas canister. you screw the stove onto the gas canister thread, and then pop the base of the gas canister into the plastic base that comes with the stove. it's now a freestanding little propane burner.

in my personal opinion, this is one of the worst stoves ever made. i have one, and i'll never use it again for anything unless i'm forced to. the problem is that it's very unstable + metal pots very easily slip off the burner. so you have a combination of pots falling off the burner or the stove flipping over while lit. i've seen both happen multiple times. we've banned them from our camp because of the number of times food has been wasted or we've almost accidentally started a fire/burned somebody.

cooking wise, it's a 10,000 BTU propane, so it'll do about anything you need it to to do (if you can keep it under control). the windscreen on it could be designed a little better; wind does affect it some.

place to buy online: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000004124#.Tv8suDWm-5I

solid
31st December 2011, 09:17 AM
Chad, with all your expert stove knowledge, if you had to pick one stove. One stove to call the ultimate Great Value Stove, which would it be? :)

chad
31st December 2011, 09:28 AM
Chad, with all your expert stove knowledge, if you had to pick one stove. One stove to call the ultimate Great Value Stove, which would it be? :)

oh, but they're all so good :) for personal use, probably either a trangia or a home made super cat (getting to that one). no moving parts, good btu output, low cost, and diverse fuel options make them hard to beat. for large scale group cooking, a stovetec or some other type of large rocket stove- they burn hot with nothing but twigs.

then again i haven't got my origo yet. next week might change mind :)

solid
31st December 2011, 09:43 AM
I just ordered one of those trangia stoves. I really like how it uses the same fuel, denatured alcohol, as my origo. I'll do a side by side comparison when I get it. Sounds like the perfect little stove for a bug out bag. Or ditch bag, on my boat.

chad
31st December 2011, 09:53 AM
I just ordered one of those trangia stoves. I really like how it uses the same fuel, denatured alcohol, as my origo. I'll do a side by side comparison when I get it. Sounds like the perfect little stove for a bug out bag. Or ditch bag, on my boat.

from what i've read and what you've described, the origo seems to be a big giant version of the trangia. if you like the origo, i think you'l be really happy with a trangia. let me know, interested to see what you think.

chad
2nd January 2012, 09:30 AM
coleman max. this is a standard micro stove that uses isobutane (butane + propane mixed) cartridges. any brand will work (mso or rei brand for example), so you don't have to use the coleman brand ones. this stove is similar to a msr whisperlite, brunton optimus, snow peak, etc. there's about a gazillion of them out there.

i'm not a huge fan of isobutane because it tends to not work in really cold weather, but for spring, summer, or fall use, it's okay. the fuel cartridges run around $5 for a 250 gram one (i wouldn't mess with the smaller cartridges, they don't run long enough). running it full bore open, coleman claims one hour of cook time, but in reality it's more like 45 minutes. as mentioned before, any self-sealing isobutane cartridge works.

the stove puts out about 10,000 BTU, so it works reasonably well for any type of cooking. wind does affect it some, so plan on longer cook times if you're out in strong wind.

now for the real reason you should consider this stove: price. you can pick this stove up at walmart or kmart for $25. all of the other brands made by brunton, msr, etc. are nearly twice that point. the stove has been discontinued by coleman, so get one now while you can.

the stove and a butane canister will also stow away in side a coleman max cookset (http://www.americansportsmanoutfitters.com/products/coleman-max-anodized-cook-set) (which i highly recommend), which is handy for storage in a bob or your car.

place to buy online: you can't- discontinued. check walmart, kmart, etc.

edit: also buy the coleman max cook set at walmart, it's cheaper than online. they should be right next to this stove on the shelf.

ArgenteumTelum
3rd January 2012, 04:33 AM
Thoughts on this?: http://www.volcanogrills.com/

Looks good for larger groups or semi-permanent (non-mobile) use.

chad
3rd January 2012, 09:13 AM
Thoughts on this?: http://www.volcanogrills.com/

Looks good for larger groups or semi-permanent (non-mobile) use.

i don't have one, but i have a friend who does. i'll email him and post his response.

update response:

Volcano works fine but it's just a grill. I use it more than the Webber but that's
just because I keep it on the deck and the Webber is out in the garage. You asked about
the propane option. It's a nice feature to have built in when you don't want to
run to town for charcoal. I never used the smoker option, you know i have a Traeger for
that. You asked would I buy it again. No too expensive. Just probably stick to my Webber
and my smoker.

this is the traeger he is talking about: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=traeger+smoker&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3136658345494529502&sa=X&ei=8E0DT6HwA6X20gH13rC0Ag&ved=0CHQQ8wIwBw

the traeger is nice, i've used it, but you would have to be insane to buy it unless you smoke all the time.

chad
8th February 2012, 07:44 AM
jetboil. in my top 3 favorites. the jetboil uses an isobutane cartridge like the coleman max. any brand will work (mso or rei brand for example), so you don't have to use the coleman brand ones. if you go with a smaller cartridge, it will stow away inside of the stove. they run between $79 and $100 or so for the basic stove.

the jetboil's main selling point is that it will boil a cup of water in about a minute. in my experience, it's more like 40 seconds. if you have a lot of freeze dried or dehydrated foods in you prep inventory, this is the holy grail of stoves. if all you need to do is boil water for reconstitution, you can cook forever with this stove + 1 250 gram fuel cartridge. it is that good. wind doesn't affect it at all.

you can also "cook" food in the water canister. if you're going to, consider getting some long utensils (jetboil sells a set for this purpose for around $10). heating up MREs, noodles, etc. is really easy if you want to. it also comes with a nylon sleeve, so you can pick up the hot canister and use it as a bowl.

the only downside to this stove is that the micro piezo starter almost always breaks. it's so bad that jetboil actually tries to sell you replacement kits when you buy the stove. i gave up and just use matches or a lighter.

pace to buy online: http://www.jetboil.com/

utensils for cooking: cook set (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?ix=icb&q=jetboil+utensils&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6240970294339181608&sa=X&ei=vZcyT9-gLon30gGSu5DmBw&ved=0CFsQ8wIwAQ)

carpathian
17th February 2012, 07:05 PM
how about kelly kettle ? have one but didn't try it yet
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CK%20K750_A_name_E_Kelly%20Kett le%20Base%20Camp%20Combo%20-%20Large%20Stainless%20Steel
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZZEiybJtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eUVokSzdL._AA300_.jpg

chad
20th February 2012, 12:51 PM
don't have one yet, but i plan on getting one.you should fire it up and give us a review :)

big country
21st February 2012, 07:59 AM
I'm planning on picking up one of these to try it out. Its an "Observer Backpacking 1" stove. Looks nearly identical to the MSR "pocket rocket"

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1283465307_29983.jpg

Link to a non-ebay source: ($17)
http://www.justcamp.com/Observer-Backpacking-1-Burner-Micro-Stove-with-Case-000000000000.htm

They're even cheaper on ebay, but I cannot get a link to ebay while at work. I might be picking one up on payday at the end of the week. I buy a cannister of the fuel everytime I go to walmart (coleman brand...they are all the same) for $5. I'm starting to get quite the pile of those fuel cans. Currently only my jetboil uses them so this will be somewhat of a backup/lightweight option.

EDIT: For comparison since I mentioned the MSR pocket rocket. MSR Pocket rocket $40 vs OB1 $17 (or less) Also, this stove takes the propane/butane mix canisters if that wasn't clear.

chad
21st February 2012, 08:18 AM
cool, have to get me one of those.

vacuum
23rd September 2012, 02:44 AM
chad,
how do you rate this stove?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x71X04Q7kA

Neuro
23rd September 2012, 04:31 PM
chad,

You really can't do it any cheaper and low tech than that, and still very effective

chad
25th September 2012, 07:25 PM
chad,

+10, i'll have to try that :) i have gotten some stoves, i'l have to update this thread.