PDA

View Full Version : Fish Soup

BabushkaLady
4th January 2012, 04:54 PM
I thawed a bag of fish for dinner and set aside half of it for a 2nd meal. Then I remembered a delicious soup I'd had many moons ago. I couldn't find a good recipe so I created my own.

Ingredients (Sorry I'm not into measuring):

Fish (I used walleye fillets)
Celery - sliced
Onions - coarse slices
Green Pepper - chunky diced
Garlic - a few cloves; diced
Grape tomatoes or one half of a large tomato sliced
1 can of fancy baby whole clams (spur of the moment addition!)
Chicken Stock (or if you have the entire fish make some fish stock!)
Paprika - good handful
salt & pepper to taste (heavy on the pepper!)

Add all of the vegetables to a pot with olive oil in the bottom. Heat through, stirring to get a nice sweaty coating. Add a big handful of Paprika, s & p. Stir in to coat the veggies. Continue a few more minutes.

Slowly add the stock and stir. Add the clams and stir.
Lastly, add the whole fish fillets. Do not stir. Reduce heat to simmer for 25 or so minutes.
Gently shake the pot if you feel you need to agitate the soup. When the fish is cooked it will flake and break gently into the soup. Don't over stir!

Serve piping hot with crispy bread.

osoab
4th January 2012, 04:58 PM
You made soup out of walley????????

Sacrilege!

BabushkaLady
4th January 2012, 05:02 PM
You made soup out of walley????????
I have a freezer full of it!! :o and a river full of it!! ;D

Old Herb Lady
4th January 2012, 05:02 PM
Babushka Lady, you are too cute. Thank You for that recipe, as a matter of fact, I have all the ingredients (except I have cod )and am going to make it very soon.
They call it Clam Chowder up there in New England. I'll just chop up a little carrot to throw in.

muffin
4th January 2012, 05:08 PM
Babushka Lady, you are too cute. Thank You for that recipe, as a matter of fact, I have all the ingredients (except I have cod )and am going to make it very soon.
They call it Clam Chowder up there in New England. I'll just chop up a little carrot to throw in.
Mouse is a chowdah head....

I'm not too into clam chowder, though.... Wish we could get some good fish here. Everyone loooooves catfish around here. YUCK! Bottom feeders! They taste like dirt :-X

osoab
4th January 2012, 05:10 PM

I'm not too into clam chowder, though.... Wish we could get some good fish here. Everyone loooooves catfish around here. YUCK! Bottom feeders! They taste like dirt :-X

2 lbs or less is all I will eat for catfish.

ximmy
4th January 2012, 05:13 PM

Muffin, order Mouse some of this potato soup, tastes just like chowder, without the clams. I sometimes dice in chicken or turkey... sooo good.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products/Soups---Sauces/Creamy-Potato-Soup-Mix--10-Can-64-oz

BabushkaLady
4th January 2012, 05:24 PM
OHL; I also would have added carrots, but . . . my houseguest "doesn't like carrots" (in a snotty voice!!), so I left them out this time.

What makes this so different from a chowder is that it's a clear base not a heavy cream base.

Old Herb Lady
4th January 2012, 05:37 PM
((( ( thank you !) )))
OH Ok, well you should have replied sumthin back ( to your houseguest ) in a snoooty brit accent ( i can't do accents, but I love 'em) HA !
Oh just kiddin' !

palani
4th January 2012, 06:51 PM
YUCK! Bottom feeders! They taste like dirt :-X
Soak them in the fridge with some water with baking soda in it overnite.

muffin
4th January 2012, 07:53 PM
Muffin, order Mouse some of this potato soup, tastes just like chowder, without the clams. I sometimes dice in chicken or turkey... sooo good.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products/Soups---Sauces/Creamy-Potato-Soup-Mix--10-Can-64-oz
I make potato soup from scratch all the time. Probably one of my favorites. That and tomato soup. Yum!