PDA

View Full Version : Dispatchers seek suit dismissals in boy's 911 call.

Ponce
6th January 2012, 03:39 PM
A 5-year-old's 911 call about his mother's collapse from a fatal heart attack went unanswered and both calls were logged by dispatchers as pranks.Sherill Turner, 46, died on the floor of her apartment. 3 hours later Police stop by to yell at him.

The Michigan Supreme Court will hear arguments next week from two city emergency dispatchers seeking dismissal of lawsuits against them for treating as a prank a 5-year-old's call about his mother's collapse from a fatal heart attack.

Robert Turner dialed 911 twice Feb. 20, 2006, and both calls were logged by dispatchers as pranks.

A patrol officer dispatched after the youth's second call three hours later to chastise him instead discovered Sherill Turner, 46, dead on the floor of her apartment.

Dispatcher Sharon Nichols was found guilty by a jury in 2008 of neglect of duty. Her criminal conviction was believed at that time to have been the first of its kind in the nation. She lost her job and was sentenced to one year of probation, 100 hours of community service and $450 in fines and court costs.

Similar charges were dismissed during the criminal trial against the second dispatcher, Terri Sutton, because although she accused the boy of "playing on the phone," she sent an officer to his home.

The boy's relatives sued, alleging wrongful death and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

The dispatchers countered their conduct failed to rise to the level of gross negligence, and that they never intended to cause any distress.

The dispatchers hope the state Supreme Court overturns previous rulings against them by judges in Wayne County Circuit Court and the Michigan Court of Appeals.

The Court of Appeals panel went so far as to say the operators had been grossly negligent and the action may have contributed to the mother's death.

At their criminal trial, the dispatchers and members of the city emergency dispatchers union blamed city officials for operating a system that is understaffed, overworked and poorly equipped. Nichols also said she made a quick judgment about the call while working on 41/2 hours of sleep the day after working a double shift.

http://refreshingnews9.blogspot.com/2012/01/dispatchers-seek-suit-dismissals-in.html

Spectrism
6th January 2012, 04:02 PM
Put me on that jury. The family will get whatever they ask for.

Cebu_4_2
6th January 2012, 04:09 PM
911 was accidentally dialed here with an immediate followup by them and it was explained that it was accidental. They spoke to all of us . 1:15 later there was someone trying to break the door down so I opened it and was pulled outside where "officer Big Guy" smashed my head into the wall and porch several times... in the snow. I was sleeping right before this BS and only had sweats on. Anyways after interrogating my wife for about 40 minutes they dragged me into my house and left.

Good thing they didn't notice that I had a pistol in my pocket.

ximmy
6th January 2012, 04:23 PM
All 911 operators "I really just don't give a shit what happens to you"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUniYFNg4vs

Blink
6th January 2012, 04:36 PM
Thats ok, she'll get hired by the TSA........

midnight rambler
6th January 2012, 04:51 PM
Dial 911 and die.

Cebu_4_2
6th January 2012, 05:15 PM
Dial 911 and die.

Exactly! I have 2 numbers to call in case of assistance, fire dept for medical or fire or other emergencies. The other is for the police direct (non 911) in case someone robs my house or in case I catch such robbers and if that happens I would revert to the fire dept for medical.

johnlvs2run
6th January 2012, 05:25 PM
911 was accidentally dialed here with an immediate followup by them and it was explained that it was accidental. They spoke to all of us . 1:15 later there was someone trying to break the door down so I opened it and was pulled outside where "officer Big Guy" smashed my head into the wall and porch several times... in the snow. I was sleeping right before this BS and only had sweats on. Anyways after interrogating my wife for about 40 minutes they dragged me into my house and left.

Good thing they didn't notice that I had a pistol in my pocket.

That is crazy. I'm so sorry those idiots did that to you and your family.

I hope they are all fired, and that they pay you big time compensation as result.

Ponce
6th January 2012, 07:25 PM
Police will answer in 45 minutes (at least) they are at 36 miles from here.....but the fire department in only 4 minutes.......five miles from my home..........no longer have a Sheriff Department here.

mick silver
6th January 2012, 07:32 PM
i like the part about being over worked ... get a real fing job and see how your ass feels after being outside all day long

bonaparte
6th January 2012, 07:42 PM
The one time I called 911 I was in college. My roommate lie face down vomiting blood, and I answer the door only to have a police officer start to chastise me for cranking 911. I walked away from him, he followed me and I just pointed to my roommate on the floor. I looked at him as he picked up his radio and said "I'll need a medic at .....". I didn't say another word to him, and he got very angry when I didn't give him my SS#. Official police report list me (the guy who saved my roommates life) as "uncooperative".

So... I guess you take your chances with 911.

Glass
7th January 2012, 03:52 AM
The one time I called 911 I was in college. My roommate lie face down vomiting blood, and I answer the door only to have a police officer start to chastise me for cranking 911. I walked away from him, he followed me and I just pointed to my roommate on the floor. I looked at him as he picked up his radio and said "I'll need a medic at .....". I didn't say another word to him, and he got very angry when I didn't give him my SS#. Official police report list me (the guy who saved my roommates life) as "uncooperative".

So... I guess you take your chances with 911.

I would have written out my own report and sent that around to everyone. They don't have a monopoly on reports.