PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Older People Happier?

JohnWood
11th January 2012, 09:49 PM
Why Are Older People Happier?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120106135950.htm

ScienceDaily (Jan. 6, 2012) — Older people tend to be happier. But why? Some psychologists believe that cognitive processes are responsible -- in particular, focusing on and remembering positive events and leaving behind negative ones; those processes, they think, help older people regulate their emotions, letting them view life in a sunnier light. "There is a lot of good theory about this age difference in happiness," says psychologist Derek M. Isaacowitz of Northeastern University, "but much of the research does not provide direct evidence" of the links between such phenomena and actual happiness.
In a new article in Perspectives on Psychological Science, a journal published by the Association for Psychological Science, Isaacowitz and the late Fredda Blanchard-Fields of Georgia Institute of Technology argue for more rigorous research.
Researchers, including the authors, have found that older people shown pictures of faces or situations tend to focus on and remember the happier ones more and the negative ones less. Other studies have discovered that as people age, they seek out situations that will lift their moods -- for instance, pruning social circles of friends or acquaintances who might bring them down. Still other work finds that older adults learn to let go of loss and disappointment over unachieved goals, and hew their goals toward greater wellbeing.
What's missing, say the authors, are consistently demonstrated direct links between these strategies and phenomena and changes of mood for the better. One reason, Isaacowitz suggests, is that lab tests yield results that are not straightforward. "When we try to use those cognitive processes to predict change of mood, they don't always do so," he explains. "Sometimes looking at positive pictures doesn't make people feel better." A closer review of the literature also reveals contradictions. Some people -- younger ones, for instance -- may make themselves feel better by accentuating the negative in others' situations or characteristics. And whereas some psychologists find that high scores on certain cognitive tests correlate in older people with the ability to keep their spirits up, other researchers hypothesize that happiness in later life is an effect of cognitive losses -- which force older people to concentrate on simpler, happier thoughts.
More rigorous methods probably won't overthrow the current theories, says Isaacowitz, but they will complicate the picture. "It won't be as easy to say old people are happier. But even if they are happier on average, we still want to know in what situations does this particular strategy make this particular person with these particular qualities or strengths feel good."

ximmy
11th January 2012, 10:10 PM
We have all been dealt a plate of pile high crap. Everyone must eat their fair share, it is life. Some have a harder time because they have not arranged it properly. Others fare better as they consider it and swallow. The happy older among us have finished their plate, they have cause to be happy. The younger still dread the pile of shit set before them.
~ximmy

JohnWood
11th January 2012, 10:14 PM
Hey thanks for dropping by..LOL

Sparky
11th January 2012, 10:33 PM
This explains why you never see any grumpy old men. Wait, what? Who says older people are happier?

There are things that contribute to happiness with older age. In the earlier part of your life, your stress-inducing responsibilities tend to increase: academics, peer pressure, job advancement, relationships, dependents. At some point they level off, and then after that you begin to shed them.

Sparky
11th January 2012, 10:35 PM
We have all been dealt a plate of pile high crap. Everyone must eat their fair share, it is life. Some have a harder time because they have not arranged it properly. Others fare better as they consider it and swallow. The happy older among us have finished their plate, they have cause to be happy. The younger still dread the pile of shit set before them.
~ximmy

Hmm. I guess that's another way of saying it. But I'll point out that not everybody is dealt the same sized pile of shit.

Book
12th January 2012, 12:14 AM
http://holidaysforfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/retirement-cruise.jpg

Oh...I dunno. Could it be those direct-deposited Social Security and Pension checks every month?

::)

JDRock
12th January 2012, 04:55 PM
maybe because they know they wont be here for the worst of what is to come??

k-os
12th January 2012, 08:33 PM
I have a theory that people with bad memories are happier people, in general. I am not only speaking from experience, but also from other people I have met with bad memories. For most people, memory loss comes with aging.

From the article:

Some psychologists believe that cognitive processes are responsible -- in particular, focusing on and remembering positive events and leaving behind negative ones; those processes, they think, help older people regulate their emotions, letting them view life in a sunnier light. I don't think that old people consciously "focus" on positive events of the past, but really, who want's to do the "remember whens" with friends and family and bring up old baggage or troubles? The "remember whens" are usually about the glory days . . . whenever those happened to be.

Or maybe old people just lie about their happiness level. ;D

MNeagle
12th January 2012, 08:37 PM

You have peace-
when you make it with yourself.

EE_
12th January 2012, 08:48 PM
I think most of them are lying.
If you've really lived a full life and achieved most of your goals and still have your health, it might not be so bad.

I've always warned people that are getting old, to keep your sense of humor. It's the one thing you can take to your grave once everything else has left you...you're going to need it in the end, while the nurse is strapping on your diaper.

I think most people are living longer then we should be.

steyr_m
12th January 2012, 09:06 PM
Older people are less under the Judaic mind-control. The influence was less when they were young, so they are able to have happier lives. Never trust a study done with a guy named Isaacowitz there are ulterior motives.

Old Herb Lady
13th January 2012, 08:38 AM
Fear and stress are what is killing us and making us grow sicker as we grow older, once one is able to somehow, someway lower those 2
and keep a sense of humor......those , IMO, are the older healthier ones.....in addition to keeping active, of course.

The fear and stress living in people's hearts & minds are causing catastrophic illnesses topped with MEDS will end you up in a nursing home
with diapers at a younger & younger age and then living there for 20 years or more.

Half Sense
13th January 2012, 09:45 AM
~ximmy

Hey, I just saw that movie too! (The Help)

osoab
13th January 2012, 09:54 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_97_l6w860KY/TTEGi5iMZvI/AAAAAAAAA4w/2EJ4gPBhdUg/s1600/Pills2.jpg

dys
13th January 2012, 10:01 AM
No way are older people happier. My experience is that people tend to get worse with time, not better. (in this case 'worse' meaning more unhappy)

dys

Sparky
13th January 2012, 10:19 AM
No way are older people happier. My experience is that people tend to get worse with time, not better. (in this case 'worse' meaning more unhappy)

dys
Yeah, maybe "happy" really isn't the right word. Some better words might be accepting, content, relaxed, etc. As you get older and begin to shed responsibilities, a lot of stuff becomes "other people's problems." The exception, of course, is health. So maybe this observation is extremely true of older, healthy people.

steyr_m
16th January 2012, 05:27 AM
Fear and stress are what is killing us and making us grow sicker as we grow older, once one is able to somehow, someway lower those 2
and keep a sense of humor......those , IMO, are the older healthier ones.....in addition to keeping active, of course.

The fear and stress living in people's hearts & minds are causing catastrophic illnesses topped with MEDS will end you up in a nursing home
with diapers at a younger & younger age and then living there for 20 years or more.

Agreed OHL, well said.