PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will Homemade Can Foods Last?

LuckyStrike
12th January 2012, 08:13 PM
http://www.internet-grocer.net/how-long.htm

I am currently researching the topic as I hope to have food flowing out of my ears in a few months and came across this article, very very interesting.

Heimdhal
12th January 2012, 08:27 PM
Good article, thanks.

to answer the question for you though: truly? indefinitley. I home can quite a bit (as do many other heres) and have yet to have anything spoil in the 4-5 years I've been doing it.

What is more important however is what the food goes through when canning and while sitting. While it will remain "food" as long as oxygen doesnt get in, after 2-4 years whats left of the vitmaines being to rapidly decay. By 5 years, there are practicaly none left, then the proteins break down. After that, what you are basicaly left with is carbs. Carbs will give you calories (energy) for sure, so its still food, but any real nutrition it may have head is down to single digit % levels after about 5 years.

Water soluable vitamins will remain a little longer, like B vitamins, Niacin, etc. Fat soluable will begin to break down quicker, A,C,D,E,K, and so on. However, the biggest threat to those is light. Light will destroy them even quicker, which is a particular problem for home canners since we use jars. Keep them in dark, but temp stable containers/closets. Its a big deal because the high temp canning itself will destroy about a third of those vitamins right off the bat.

When you go to can from the garden, plan to do it as quickly as possible. Plants begin to lose nutrition the minute they are cut, so plan on having everything ready so you can harvest, bring it right in, prep it and can it within the same day with as few processes involved as you are able.

Good luck my friend, its addicting ;)

mightymanx
12th January 2012, 10:23 PM
Not about canning, but lots good info and they do home canning in it the lady the cans beans I am in love with her pantry I would sleep good with that in my house.

http://vimeo.com/24379713