PDA

View Full Version : What is a "PF 70 70" grade?

Korbin Dallas
14th January 2012, 11:45 PM
I have a 25th anniversary silver eagle which has PF 70 70 as it's grade. I've seen PF 70, ultra cameo, deep cameo, etc, but this is the first "70 70" I've come across. Does anyone know what the meaning or designation is?
TIA.

BrewTech
15th January 2012, 07:37 AM
This is the only reference I could find that resembles that designation:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2006-20-th-anniversary-silver-eagle-153021252

madfranks
15th January 2012, 07:41 AM
This is the only reference I could find that resembles that designation:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2006-20-th-anniversary-silver-eagle-153021252

The set in your link has two proofs, hence the 70/70 grade. Korbin, does yours have two proofs also or is it just one coin?

Korbin Dallas
15th January 2012, 09:14 AM
The set in your link has two proofs, hence the 70/70 grade. Korbin, does yours have two proofs also or is it just one coin?

It is just one coin with PF 70 70 on the label.

TomD
15th January 2012, 08:31 PM
And your coin is a proof?

madfranks
16th January 2012, 07:24 AM
I'm curious, do you have a pic of the coin you could upload?

There is a possibility that it's a mistake on the slab. I've seen "slab errors" as they call them before, and they're pretty cool. The neatest example I've seen was an error coin with a misspelled word on the slab, so it was a double error.

EE_
16th January 2012, 07:57 AM
You didn't state who the grading company is, so I'm guessing it's not NGC or PCGS.
They may have given it a 70 70 grade meaning both obverse and reverse graded 70

Korbin Dallas
16th January 2012, 09:48 AM
It was graded by NGC; I am awaiting a callback from them and hopefully an explanation. I'll try to get a pic posted tonight.

I posted the same question on some coin boards, noone seems to have seen this designation before.

Korbin Dallas
16th January 2012, 09:49 AM
You didn't state who the grading company is, so I'm guessing it's not NGC or PCGS.
They may have given it a 70 70 grade meaning both obverse and reverse graded 70

Thanks Bob, that makes sense, obv/rev. grading.

EE_
16th January 2012, 10:10 AM

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. I've seen it somewhere else. Don't remember when.

madfranks
16th January 2012, 11:12 AM

Are you sure? I'm not an expert but I've never heard of any grading company offering separate grades for the obverse and reverse of a coin. I had a coin graded once that was almost perfect on the front, but the reverse had some bag marks so it came back AU58, and I expect it was because they either take the mean grade of both sides or slab it with the lower of the two.

Korbin Dallas
16th January 2012, 12:41 PM
Okay, I just got off the phone with NGC, it was a mechanical error, someone double keyed 70. She offered to re-label it for no charge, but I think I will keep it due to it's uniqueness. Thanks for the input everyone!

BrewTech
16th January 2012, 12:59 PM
Okay, I just got off the phone with NGC, it was a mechanical error, someone double keyed 70. She offered to re-label it for no charge, but I think I will keep it due to it's uniqueness. Thanks for the input everyone!

Like said above by MF - slab error! Lucky you!

madfranks
16th January 2012, 05:42 PM

Yeah, keep it, it's worth more in the error slab than a normal one.