PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point Carbine

millwright
18th January 2012, 01:59 PM
Took the guns out for some fun today. Had to comment on my Hi Point Carbine.

I have the .40 caliber carbine, bone stock with ghost ring sights.

I bought this thing 3 years ago for something like 180 dollars. Absolutely ridiculous price for a gun of this caliber. I believe they are now selling for a paltry 280 or so.

I have not fired this gun in at least a year. The indoor range i went to has terrible lighting.

At 50 feet, i fired off three sets of ten rounds each. The rersult was a tight 3 inch grouping to the head,the chest,and the stomach.Absolutley amazing to me. I am 45 years old, and while my eyesight is still good for my age, lets face it, At 45 the eyes ain't what they used to be.

This inexpensive carbine is absolutley fantastic. Ten shots ten kills X three , and it was almost effortless. Almost zero recoil and the factory butt pad soaks up what little there is.

If anyone ever fu*ks with me at the homestead, this is the firearm i am reaching for without a doubt.Even over the 20gauge. It is in my opinion ,the perfect home defense weapon.

As usual, it ate everything i fed it. Today was some wolf 180 grain FMJ followed by some Federal 180 grain HST JHP.

If anyone is in the market for a reliable carbine, in my opinion this thing cannot be beat for the price. Along with the 40, they make a 9 and now a 45. Never shot those, but the reviews are good.

I must also add this. The Hi Point handguns have a less then steller rep, but i love my C9. Ran 100 rounds thru it today with perfect results. 115 grain blazer brass FMJ and some Federal classic 115 grain Hi Shok JHP. I think i paid less then 150 for the C9. After polishing the feed ramp, it has gone bang everytime i pulled the trigger. Over a thousand rounds thru it .

Of course the Bersa .380 was perfect as always as well as the Mossburg 500 C.

BrewTech
18th January 2012, 03:33 PM
Apparently the effective ones are hard to get in CA? All I can find is something about a "bullet button" that makes them OK to sell in CA.

I dunno. I'm not really in the market for another rifle, but if I was I might want to look into this.

As far as reputation for reliability goes, I have learned to take them with a grain of sodium chloride.

I used to own an Intratec Tech-9 pistol. Bought it new for $200.00.

Reliable as shit if I fed it factory ammo, and fun as hell to shoot. Not terribly accurate past 25', but with a 32 rd factory mag, who cares?

mightymanx
18th January 2012, 03:43 PM
I have used one as well they are outstanding for the money and a perfect truck gun. My only criticism is that after being around for a long time now 10 years-ish they still don't have any higher ammo capacity.

For me that has always religated it to second string in my selection. I know that the 1911 and M-1 crowd will balk and my idea that more ammo is better but in my experience I have never heard someone say after a shootout/firefight "Man I had way too much ammo"

But it is still a great carbine for the money and fun to shoot a good value for that use.

FWIW the aftermarket stock is actualy worth the money also not sorry about getting it unlike most budget gun after market stocks I have tried (SKS Mosin 10-22 etc.)
http://www.combatstocks.com/Hi_Point_9MM_Stock.cfm

For my utility carbine of choice over the Hipoint I went with the Keltec sub 2000 in 9mm Glock that way it takes the same mags as my carry pistol and glock 18(33 round) mags also work. It cost a little more at 275 when I got it but I like it fine.

millwright
18th January 2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah no doubt they should have a higher cap. That being said, my comment was really about home defense rather than a firefight type scenario. The aftermarket stock was a huge hit, liked by all. Since the release of the 45 caliber, Hi Point has redone the stock for the 9 mm and 40 caliber. Now they are all like the one in your link. Never shot the Kel tec, but your right about the versatility and capacity of the magazines.

mightymanx
18th January 2012, 04:04 PM
heck I did not know they make a 45 version I have not paid attention in several years to the Hipoint carbine a 10 round 45acp rifle on the cheap might just be the ticket.

millwright
18th January 2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah , they have been a huge hit. Almost immposible to find one.Go to Buds site and check them out. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Black Blade
24th January 2012, 11:13 AM
I used to keep one in the truck for coyotes when working in the field:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/839266b1f1a6928119830690cb17b093fbd034ad.pjpg

Fits nice between the console and passenger side:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/805267a18da7c2881673e09a38602d0cf087fabf.pjpg