PDA

View Full Version : Root Canals

solid
18th January 2012, 06:32 PM
Don't do it.

I had an emergency, last minute, root canal done today. Man, I'm in blinding pain. I can't even describe it. They prescribed me vicoden. I refuse to take it. I tried a couple of vodka shots, I figured the old way alcohol would be less of a permanent health risk.

But, man, I'm going to take a couple more shots, because the pain from this damn tooth is just insane.

Turns out, they found the crack in my tooth, and the nerve was pinched, and also infected, as well. They drilled and bored it all out. Watching the DR. with his damn drill bits was an interesting test of patience. I wanted to ask him, damn man, how many different bits do you need?

In short, take good care of your teeth. The pain I have right now, over one damn little tooth, is overwhelming.

I never once 'thought' how much pain one tooth can cause...but, now, I know.

Be well folks.

hoarder
18th January 2012, 06:37 PM
Root canals are in the same category as mercury fillings and flouride toothpaste. The Jew run ADA promotes them for the goyim. If a tooth needs a root canal, it needs to be pulled.

solid
18th January 2012, 06:43 PM
Root canals are in the same category as mercury fillings and flouride toothpaste. The Jew run ADA promotes them for the goyim. If a tooth needs a root canal, it needs to be pulled.

I should have had it pulled.

EE_
18th January 2012, 06:48 PM
I've had two root canals and both went fine. I will do everything I can to save a tooth.
Once you start pulling them, the rest will start moving around causing further problems down the road.
You did the right thing imo. You'll be fine in a couple days.

solid
18th January 2012, 06:54 PM
I've had two root canals and both went fine. I will do everything I can to save a tooth.
Once you start pulling them, the rest will start moving around causing further problems down the road.
You did the right thing imo. You'll be fine in a couple days.

I hope you're right, EE. Because the pain from this tooth is really pissing me off.

I actually turned down a date with a cute gal tonight. I'm angry, in pain, and am glad I can be alone right now.

k-os
18th January 2012, 06:54 PM
Well, it depends on where the tooth is, whether to pull it or not. I have had several root canals, one that is a front tooth. ;D

Waiting until it's an emergency is not wise, and I know from experience. One of my molars, in my early 20's was infected and ended up giving me an ear infection, and a ruptured ear drum! The whole body is connected.

Alcohol is a better painkiller than vicodin, for sure, although they both have side effects.

To all who care to listen . . . a waterpik is your friend!

EE_
18th January 2012, 07:00 PM
Buy a flossing tool and an electric tooth brush too!

And buy these for your kids!

EE_
18th January 2012, 07:01 PM
I hope you're right, EE. Because the pain from this tooth is really pissing me off.

I actually turned down a date with a cute gal tonight. I'm angry, in pain, and am glad I can be alone right now.

The date thing definately added insult to injury...sorry

madfranks
18th January 2012, 07:15 PM
Once my dentist was drilling a molar for a filling and their drill cracked my tooth all the way down to the root; they were worried that it was going to be a matter of time before it would require a root canal but they filled the crack with cement and it's never bothered me since. That was like 5 years ago.

solid
18th January 2012, 07:32 PM
The date thing definately added insult to injury...sorry

It was me. I turned her away. I don't want to be around folks when I'm in pain.

I told her I needed rest.

LuckyStrike
18th January 2012, 07:36 PM
I haven't been to the dentist since I was probably 15 (10 years) I hate the pricks. I need to go though I think I may have a cavity forming (never had one so I don't know) but the teeth feel fine so what the hell.

hoarder
18th January 2012, 08:01 PM
The problem with root canals is that it's nearly impossible to get all the crud out of the root. What happens next is a tiny pocket of gangrene. It will fester for years, even decades, but the tooth may not hurt and your immune system will work overtime trying to fight the gangrene.
Doctors nor dentists can diagnose the condition. There have been many cases of people getting a root canal tooth pulled and feeling better than they had in years the next day.

zap
18th January 2012, 08:06 PM
LOL Solid, take some vicodin, I actually had a root canal yesterday, It was on my eye tooth so I couldn't have him pull it out, they didn't prescribe me vicodin, oh take some advil or tylenol he says, my tooth hurts all around there even up by my cheek bone (sinus) cavity, so I went to see my sis , she's got drugs ! I got 4 vicodin from her it still hurts but its bearable. (edit I didn't take all 4 at once;)

Oh and it really hurts when you pay the man ;)

beefsteak
18th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your mandibular distress, Solid. Wasn't it you that started a root canal vs extraction thread here a few months back? Wondered what happened to you. Now that I know, I feel for you, bro'.

Zap,
you take care, too.

Fukushima Cesium Radiation sucking all the calcium out of our faces/open mouths or something? Wonder who is going to conduct THAT study? Either of you on the West Coast? NOT KIDDING! I don't kid about root canals.

Rest, and no chewing on that side, you two, okay?

WOW.

beefsteak

Glass
18th January 2012, 11:10 PM
I had one done. It's been repaired 2 times already....the tooth cap that is. It has broken another 2 times in the last 2 months. Early december and last sunday.

It needs pulling and something else done such as a bridge. I spoke to 2 people who have had bridges and they have never had another issue. Money's the thing. Could take me the rest of this year to drum up the cash to sort this. So it's a race to see what comes first..... infected jaw or money to fix it.

My root canal was a painless experience as was everyone else I spoke to. Seems to hurt only if you are in the US. Perhaps their technique needs changing.

LastResort
19th January 2012, 04:11 AM
I hate getting dental work done. That being said a couple teeth are bothing me. I have an appoinment with a new to me biological dentist this afternoon. Hopefully this dentist isn't a hack like some I've dealth with.

madfranks
19th January 2012, 07:25 AM
Solid, did you get a gold cap or the porcelain one?

EE_
19th January 2012, 07:36 AM
Solid, did you get a gold cap or the porcelain one?

He probably didn't get his cap yet?
I have four beautiful gold crowns on molars and I can say there is nothing better!
When I visit a dentist, they always remark how nice they are. You have to pay a lot more for them, but they will last much longer then any other crown and less susceptible to breakage. So you should factor that into the cost.

solid
19th January 2012, 07:57 AM
He probably didn't get his cap yet?
I have four beautiful gold crowns on molars and I can say there is nothing better!
When I visit a dentist, they always remark how nice they are. You have to pay a lot more for them, but they will last much longer then any other crown and less susceptible to breakage. So you should factor that into the cost.

I did have it capped a few weeks ago. I went with white gold. Looks like silver, I like it. :)

Everything was fine up until a few days ago. I thought the issue was taken care of. I woke up in the morning with a strong throbbing pain that radiated to the side of my whole jaw. Dealt with it for a couple of days, thinking it may just go away. Finally went in yesterday and they did the root canal on the spot. Good thing too, the dentist told me after the root canal I must have been hurting like crazy, since the crack had pinched the nerve, and also somehow got infected.

Anyway, I'm doing great this morning, the vodka helped me sleep well. The pain is down to just an annoying ache now. I'm glad I didn't take the vidodin.

BrewTech
19th January 2012, 08:06 AM
I had a root canal recently. I'm not having any problems. I guess it all depends on the skill and care of the dentist that does the work...

I had a cusp break off of a molar in the back that was heavily filled when I was a kid, thankfully it didn't hurt and I could get in to my guy the next day. He'll be filling it with double bling. Can't wait! ;D

Silver Rocket Bitches!
19th January 2012, 10:06 AM
Why the bias towards vicodin? If you're in pain that's what it's prescribed for.

Book
19th January 2012, 01:31 PM
http://worldental.org/images/missing-tooth-implant-150x150.jpg

http://www.dentistry.com/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=1325,27,25,9,1,Documents&MediaID=971&Filename=missing-teeth.jpg

http://www.offuhuge.com/files/iOvuyzF1h.jpg

Consider the alternative.

johnlvs2run
19th January 2012, 02:52 PM

QFE

A dead tooth is a major source of infection and needs to be pulled. You can't seal a dead tooth. Even if you could seal the inside, which you can't, the entire outside of the tooth remains a constant course of infection, much of that in constant contact with the gums, the blood stream, the rest of the body and very close to the brain.

The best option is to pull the tooth. A plastic replacement (not metal) is easy to use. My recommendation is a good dentist in Mexico. The ones in the states have all been taught the same way, to get as much money from your mouth as possible, regardless of damage they cause.

BrewTech
19th January 2012, 06:37 PM
QFE

A dead tooth is a major source of infection and needs to be pulled. You can't seal a dead tooth. Even if you could seal the inside, which you can't, the entire outside of the tooth remains a constant course of infection, much of that in constant contact with the gums, the blood stream, the rest of the body and very close to the brain.

The best option is to pull the tooth. A plastic replacement (not metal) is easy to use. My recommendation is a good dentist in Mexico. The ones in the states have all been taught the same way, to get as much money from your mouth as possible, regardless of damage they cause.

Same goes with car mechanics! Everybody should find a friendly mexican to work on their mouths, AND their cars!

solid
20th January 2012, 03:27 PM
Same goes with car mechanics! Everybody should find a friendly mexican to work on their mouths, AND their cars!

Truth. This whole experience has really shown me how valuable a good Dentist is. Just like a good car mechanic, a lot of trust is placed.

So far so good, I'm just down to a very mild ache. I've been taking the penicillin as prescribed, every 6 hours.

Also, I'm fortunate on the timing. My insurance covers 80% up to $2000 for this work, the crown was applied/charged last year, 2011. The root canal was charged this year, 2012. I guess if you need dental work, get it done near the end of the year. :)

The vicodin pills, are added to my preps, if needed. Didn't take a single one.

muffin
20th January 2012, 04:03 PM
Root canal treatments were my all time favorite procedures to assist with. Sorry :D

We would actually irrigate with bleach and water before sealing the canal. Imagine the horror of the patients when they smelled that :)

And, yes, I recommend trying to save the tooth if at all possible. Like others have said, it depends on where the troubled tooth is. If it's a tooth that has an opposing tooth or teeth still around it, the other teeth will lean or move in the path of least resistance when it's removed. If you extract a lower tooth, the upper (opposing) tooth will more likely drop down.... etc.

If you insist on removing the troubled tooth, get an implant or removable partial/bridge. Or even a fixed bridge. The removables are a pain and most people don't take adequate care of them. They end up paying more for new ones or just go hillbilly style ;D

BrewTech
20th January 2012, 04:11 PM
Root canal treatments were my all time favorite procedures to assist with. Sorry :D

We would actually irrigate with bleach and water before sealing the canal. Imagine the horror of the patients when they smelled that :)

Ahhh yes, the bleach. Gotta be sterile though.

osoab
20th January 2012, 04:17 PM
Paging Dr. JohnWood. Dr. JohnWood, please report to this thread.

He says he is a dentist.

muffin
24th January 2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/michael-clair-dentist-paper-clip-root-canals_n_1226854.html

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — A former dentist in Massachusetts has pleaded guilty to Medicaid fraud for using paper clips instead of stainless steel posts in root canals.
Michael Clair is scheduled to be sentenced next Monday after pleading guilty last week in New Bedford Superior Court to a variety of charges, including defrauding Medicaid of $130,000 assault and battery, illegally prescribing prescription drugs and witness intimidation.
Prosecutors say the 53-year-old Clair was suspended by Medicaid in 2002, but continued to file claims from August 2003 to June 2005 by using the names of other dentists in his Fall River practice.
Authorities say instead of stainless steel posts for root canals, he used sections of paper clips – which can cause pain and even infection – in an effort to save money.

BrewTech
24th January 2012, 08:33 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/michael-clair-dentist-paper-clip-root-canals_n_1226854.html

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. — A former dentist in Massachusetts has pleaded guilty to Medicaid fraud for using paper clips instead of stainless steel posts in root canals.
Michael Clair is scheduled to be sentenced next Monday after pleading guilty last week in New Bedford Superior Court to a variety of charges, including defrauding Medicaid of $130,000 assault and battery, illegally prescribing prescription drugs and witness intimidation.
Prosecutors say the 53-year-old Clair was suspended by Medicaid in 2002, but continued to file claims from August 2003 to June 2005 by using the names of other dentists in his Fall River practice.
Authorities say instead of stainless steel posts for root canals, he used sections of paper clips – which can cause pain and even infection – in an effort to save money.

Posts? Are they talking about those round reamer file things? I can't imagine a paper clip would work well...

solid
24th January 2012, 08:40 AM
Posts? Are they talking about those round reamer file things? I can't imagine a paper clip would work well...

They just finished with my root canal yesterday. They did put in posts where the roots used to be, followed by permanent cement. They showed me the x rays afterwards, and explained everything to me. This dentist was one of the best at explaining what he was doing, and how everything worked.

I think you nailed it in an earlier post. A good dentist is like a good auto mechanic, a lot of trust is placed in them, when you find a good one...and you need it, you really are thankful for them.

BrewTech
24th January 2012, 09:10 AM
They just finished with my root canal yesterday. They did put in posts where the roots used to be, followed by permanent cement. They showed me the x rays afterwards, and explained everything to me. This dentist was one of the best at explaining what he was doing, and how everything worked.

I think you nailed it in an earlier post. A good dentist is like a good auto mechanic, a lot of trust is placed in them, when you find a good one...and you need it, you really are thankful for them.

It great that you found a dentist that is willing to explain everything. My dentist takes x rays, points out and explains what he is seeing, then explains his plan of action. As he is proceeding, I'm getting constant feedback... kind of a play-by-play commentary. I've learned more about dentistry in the last few visits than I ever thought I'd know... he's definitely one of the good guys.

solid
24th January 2012, 12:52 PM
It great that you found a dentist that is willing to explain everything. My dentist takes x rays, points out and explains what he is seeing, then explains his plan of action. As he is proceeding, I'm getting constant feedback... kind of a play-by-play commentary. I've learned more about dentistry in the last few visits than I ever thought I'd know... he's definitely one of the good guys.

Your experience sounds just like mine. We hear a lot of things about the bad dentists, big thanks to the good ones!!

I've learned a lot about dentistry over this all as well, and it's amazing what those guys can do, honestly. This whole thing has me wondering, if in a collapse situation, how to take care of problems like a cracked tooth if dentists aren't available. I guess there's always tooth removal with pliers, but that thought is very unnerving, and also can create even worse issues. It makes me grateful to be able to take care of this now.

k-os
24th January 2012, 06:36 PM
Your experience sounds just like mine. We hear a lot of things about the bad dentists, big thanks to the good ones!!

I've learned a lot about dentistry over this all as well, and it's amazing what those guys can do, honestly. This whole thing has me wondering, if in a collapse situation, how to take care of problems like a cracked tooth if dentists aren't available. I guess there's always tooth removal with pliers, but that thought is very unnerving, and also can create even worse issues. It makes me grateful to be able to take care of this now.

Dentistry in a collapse situation would be pulling teeth, followed by swishing lots of vodka for a few days/weeks. Stock up! :-)

The dentistry thing has got to be one of my biggest fears about a real collapse. Security, water, food, and dentistry. I've prepped for 3.25 of those (I have dozens of tooth brushes). Stock up on floss too! Nobody likes to floss, but what's worse: having your teeth pulled with pliers, or flossing on a regular basis?

BrewTech
24th January 2012, 06:55 PM
Dentistry in a collapse situation would be pulling teeth, followed by swishing lots of vodka for a few days/weeks. Stock up! :-)

The dentistry thing has got to be one of my biggest fears about a real collapse. Security, water, food, and dentistry. I've prepped for 3.25 of those (I have dozens of tooth brushes). Stock up on floss too! Nobody likes to floss, but what's worse: having your teeth pulled with pliers, or flossing on a regular basis?

My problem doesn't seem to be decay so much these days. I had a boatload of fillings (silver/mercury amalgam) put in when I was a kid, and they are reaching the end of their lives now... all the issues lately have been stemming from that fact. I suppose I can look forward to more issues, so yes I'll be screwed if TSHTF and I have to do my own dental work.

osoab
24th January 2012, 06:58 PM
My problem doesn't seem to be decay so much these days. I had a boatload of fillings (silver/mercury amalgam) put in when I was a kid, and they are reaching the end of their lives now... all the issues lately have been stemming from that fact. I suppose I can look forward to more issues, so yes I'll be screwed if TSHTF and I have to do my own dental work.

i have been thinking about stuff like this

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CH%20T080_A_name_E_Dentemp%E2%8 4%A2%20Teeth%20Filling%20Kit

palani
24th January 2012, 07:03 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/dentist-accused-paper-clip-root-canals-121231462.html

NEW BEDFORD, Massachusetts (AP) — A former dentist in the U.S. has pleaded guilty to fraud for using paper clips instead of stainless steel posts in root canals.

Michael Clair will be sentenced next Monday after pleading guilty last week in a Massachusetts court to a variety of charges, including defrauding a government health program of $130,000, assault and battery, illegally prescribing prescription drugs and witness intimidation.

Authorities say instead of stainless steel posts for root canals, he used sections of paper clips — which can cause pain and even infection — in an effort to save money.

Attorney General Martha Coakley says paper clips can sometimes be used temporarily, but the 53-year-old Clair used the paper clips as a permanent fix.

Now why do you suppose an AG has any idea of what a dentist can or cannot use?

hoarder
24th January 2012, 07:44 PM
My problem doesn't seem to be decay so much these days. I had a boatload of fillings (silver/mercury amalgam) put in when I was a kid, and they are reaching the end of their lives now... all the issues lately have been stemming from that fact. I suppose I can look forward to more issues, so yes I'll be screwed if TSHTF and I have to do my own dental work.I had all my mercury filling removed and replaced with porcelain 4 years ago. Search "mercury free dentist" along with nearest city. There are plenty of dentists who now do this.

johnlvs2run
24th January 2012, 08:13 PM
Any dentist who recommends a root canal is doing great harm to you and your mouth.
They only recommend them to get more money from you. No one needs to keep a dead tooth in their mouth.

The only way to "save" a dead tooth is to pull it out and replace it with a partial.
A plastic partial is inexpensive, should fit well, and is much better than having rotten teeth in your mouth.

I've had teeth removed in Mexico, quite inexpensively ($40-80) and never had any pain.
Dentists in the states don't usually remove the ligament, which is a common reason for pain.

Dentists in the states won't do anything until you pay them $$$$ of dollars, then they will gladly screw you over.

Never ever get an implant or a bridge. Check out the horror stories on the net of people who've had implants. Nuff said. In order to have a bridge, the tops of good teeth are drilled off. Now instead of having 1 dead tooth, you'll have 3. Incompetent greedy dentists will gladly do this for you.

solid
24th January 2012, 08:22 PM
Any dentist who recommends a root canal is doing great harm to you and your mouth.
They only recommend them to get more money from you. No one needs to keep a dead tooth in their mouth..

From my experience, I've learned a root canal is NOT a dead tooth. Furthermore, I'd heck of a lot more trust an American dentist than a Mexican one peddling plastic teeth.

My two bits.

BrewTech
24th January 2012, 08:29 PM
They only recommend them to get more money from you. No one needs to keep a dead tooth in their mouth.

The only way to "save" a dead tooth is to pull it out and replace it with a partial.
A plastic partial is inexpensive, should fit well, and is much better than having rotten teeth in your mouth.

I've had teeth removed in Mexico, quite inexpensively ($40-80) and never had any pain.
Dentists in the states don't usually remove the ligament, which is a common reason for pain.

Dentists in the states won't do anything until you pay them $$$$ of dollars, then they will gladly screw you over.

Never ever get an implant or a bridge. Check out the horror stories on the net of people who've had implants. Nuff said. In order to have a bridge, the tops of good teeth are drilled off. Now instead of having 1 dead tooth, you'll have 3. Incompetent greedy dentists will gladly do this for you.

Tooth bad, plastic good... got it.

Mexicans, who in my experience are good at two things - landscape and car detailing - should be trusted to perform dental surgery rather than a white American that I personally know .

Got it. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

Since you're such an expert on things, could you recommend a mechanic? I've heard Mexicans are really good at that stuff too. They are absolute geniuses when it comes to installing junkyard parts using only a crescent wrench and a ball-peen hammer! I've got this rattle in my dash...

k-os
24th January 2012, 08:30 PM

At 26 years old, being flush with cash and short on sense, a dentist put a bridge in my mouth. Every dentist since has wondered why this procedure was performed on me. A bridge is nothing but trouble, because you can't floss in between them!

It's for this reason, and a dozen other personal experiences, why I fear dentists. Not the pain of the procedure . . . the price pain. I have trust issues with dentists. The next one I see will be a GSUS freak, even if I have to trek across the country to see him.