PDA

View Full Version : The Pirate Bay's stance on the SOPA issue. Awesome read

slvrbugjim
19th January 2012, 08:58 PM
—TPB on SOPA/PIPA
Over a century ago Thomas Edison got the patent for a device which would “do for the eye what the phonograph does for the ear”. He called it the Kinetoscope. He was not only amongst the first to record video, he was also the first person to own the copyright to a motion picture.
Because of Edison’s patents it was close to financially impossible to create motion pictures in the North American East Coast. The movie studios therefore relocated to California, and founded what we today call Hollywood. The reason was mostly because there were no patents. There was also no copyright to speak of, so the studios could copy old stories and make movies out of them – like Fantasia, one of Disney’s biggest hits ever.
So, the whole basis of this industry, that today is screaming about losing control over immaterial rights, is that they circumvented immaterial rights. They copied (or put in their terminology: “stole”) other people’s creative works, without paying for them. They did it in order to make a huge profit. Today, they’re all successful and most of the studios are on the Fortune 500 list of the richest companies in the world. Congratulations – it’s all based on being able to re-use other people’s creative works. And today they hold the rights to what other people create. If you want to get something released, you have to abide by their rules. The ones they created after circumventing other people’s rules.
The reason they are always complaining about “pirates” today is simple. We’ve done what they did. We circumvented the rules they created and created our own. We crushed their monopoly by giving people something more efficient. We allow people to have direct communication between each other, circumventing the profitable middle man, that in some cases take over 107% of the profits (yes, you pay to work for them). It’s all based on the fact that we’re competition. We’ve proven that their existence in their current form is no longer needed. We’re just better than they are.......................

more here

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-slams-pipa-and-sopa-120118/

MAGNES
19th January 2012, 11:25 PM
" The word SOPA means “trash” in Swedish. The word PIPA means “a pipe” in Swedish. This is of course not a coincidence. They want to make the internet into a one way pipe, with them at the top, shoving trash through the pipe down to the rest of us obedient consumers."

Wow , I read something into this too, sopa reads like a Greek word, translates to silence, pipa reads like a Slavic word and means whore. Sopa pipa . lol

Glass
19th January 2012, 11:55 PM
I'm hearing down here that the Bill is now doomed. Could just be a bluff to cause people to stop fighting them or it could be legit. Don't know yet.

Senators back down on online piracy
Senators back down on online piracy

Five days before a critical vote, US senators are abandoning an anti-piracy bill after an outpouring of online opposition to tinkering with internet freedoms.

Senate Democratic leaders still plan to vote on Tuesday on taking up the Protect International Property Act and supporters are scrambling to make changes before then to answer some of the critics, but it is questionable whether they have the 60 votes needed.

Half a dozen of the 40 original co-sponsors of what is known as the PIPA bill withdrew their support on Wednesday in the US amid a one-day protest blackout by Wikipedia and other web giants and a flood of emails to Capitol Hill offices that at times doubled normal volumes.

More than seven million signed a petition on Google saying the Senate bill and its counterpart in the House would censor the web and impose burdensome regulations on US businesses.

"The overwhelming input I've received from New Hampshire citizens makes it clear there are many legitimate concerns that deserve further consideration before Congress moves forward with this legislation," said Republican Senator Kelly Ayotte, one of the politicians who pulled back her support of the bill.

Others included Republicans Orrin Hatch of Utah, Marco Rubio of Florida, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, Roy Blunt of Missouri and John Boozman of Arkansas.

Nearly all cited the earful they were getting from constituents.

"I can say, with all honesty, that the feedback I received from Arkansans has been overwhelmingly in opposition to the Senate bill in its current form," Boozman said.

Several Democratic co-sponsors also now say they oppose the bill as it is written.

Democrat Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has resisted suggestions he put off the Tuesday vote.

Reid and the bill's main sponsor, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy said it was too important to delay action on legislation aimed at combating the billions of dollars US content creators and companies lose to foreign copyright violators and counterfeiters every year.
Full story @the Age (http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/senators-back-down-on-online-piracy-20120120-1qa27.html)

Anyway keep up the pressure or you haven't jumped into the fray yet call you local congresscritter and give them a piece of your mind. Heavens knows they could use every piece they can get.

gunDriller
20th January 2012, 06:48 AM
FUCK WARNER BROTHERS (who stole Edison's invention) and their Jew self-serving "copyright protection".

IP law in the US is ONLY to protect the Jews.

DMac
20th January 2012, 07:04 AM
The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards this SOPA stuff being a sort of misdirection.

We're all busy now arguing over our bread and circus (internet) while NDAA was passed without a whimper.

Interesting timing for sure.

steyr_m
20th January 2012, 07:29 AM
I wish people would be as "fired up" about the US invading the world and Judaic control of the country as they are about SOPA. If they got rid of the latter, SOPA [or something like it] would never happen.