PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting Zinc...

solid
20th January 2012, 03:09 PM
From post 1982 pennies.

Today, I spent $14 for perhaps 1 pound of zinc. I'm wondering, if it's worth it, to perhaps melt down zinc pennies (post 1982) just to get the zinc. These pennies are 97.5% pure zinc, with a copper plating.

Zinc is used heavily in the maritime environment.

I have this thought of melting down pennies and separating the copper 2.5%, from the zinc, 97.5%. If I could get pure zinc, from pennies, it could be worth the effort to melt them down.

I found this article.

http://www.gizmology.net/stovetop.htm

thoughts?

osoab
20th January 2012, 03:16 PM
zinc currently sells for less than a buck a pound on the LME.

http://www.metalprices.com/FreeSite/metals/zn/zn.asp

LME Zinc Officials $/LB

CASH .9124 19 Jan 12
3MTH .9215 19 Jan 12

osoab
20th January 2012, 03:19 PM
takes 182 zinc pennies per pound according to this site.

http://www.parkpennies.com/penny/penny.htm

solid
20th January 2012, 03:32 PM
I suppose there's a hefty 'marine' mark-up then, on zinc. We put pure zinc on our prop shafts, cutlass bearings, for electrical erosion on metals due to the current in the water. The zincs dissolve first.

Turns out my diver was doing a less-than-perfect job. I'm looking into getting the gear to dive my own boat, and replace the zincs, myself. I was just thinking of using pennies as a zinc source, if it was cost effective.

beefsteak
20th January 2012, 03:41 PM
Solid,
don't run afoul of the current law forbidding the melting of US pennies for any repurposing of intrinsic metals' reason.

osoab
20th January 2012, 03:44 PM
I suppose there's a hefty 'marine' mark-up then, on zinc. We put pure zinc on our prop shafts, cutlass bearings, for electrical erosion on metals due to the current in the water. The zincs dissolve first.

Turns out my diver was doing a less-than-perfect job. I'm looking into getting the gear to dive my own boat, and replace the zincs, myself. I was just thinking of using pennies as a zinc source, if it was cost effective.

Beefsteak made an important note. Not legal.

Now how do you get the zinc onto your parts? Rub it on?

solid
20th January 2012, 03:51 PM
Beefsteak made an important note. Not legal.

Now how do you get the zinc onto your parts? Rub it on?

LOL, the marine zincs are pure zinc, and are bolted onto the parts they protect. IE...they are cast. But crude casting that even a basic could probably achieve.

I agree on the legality concern, however, morality wise...I really don't see anything wrong with melting pennies down for the zinc. It's all funny money anyways, I may as well get some use out of these pennies. I see your point though, on being careful.

osoab
20th January 2012, 04:11 PM

LOL, the marine zincs are pure zinc, and are bolted onto the parts they protect. IE...they are cast. But crude casting that even a basic could probably achieve.

I agree on the legality concern, however, morality wise...I really don't see anything wrong with melting pennies down for the zinc. It's all funny money anyways, I may as well get some use out of these pennies. I see your point though, on being careful.

I need a clarification. Are the parts used cast zinc, plated in zinc or hot-dipped galvanized?

Why not go all stainless and be done with the whole job?

solid
20th January 2012, 04:23 PM
I need a clarification. Are the parts used cast zinc, plated in zinc or hot-dipped galvanized?

Why not go all stainless and be done with the whole job?

Well, electrolysis. Current moves through the water and will destroy shafts, bronze, stainless, any metal. The zincs get killed first. So, we put zincs on our equipment to take the beating, basically, to save the other parts.

The zincs are basically the metal put in there to take the erosion, to save the other parts. The zincs are sacrificed, and replaced, when needed.

mightymanx
21st January 2012, 12:24 AM
They are also called sacrifical annodes.

The zink oxide created when under the electrolysis also is atracted to any bare metal (like cracks in the paint) and slows the rusting.

If I owned a boat that was liveaboard size Dive gear would be as important as a survival suit to me.

(Solid If you want dive info PM me I know a thing or 10 about diving)

horseshoe3
23rd January 2012, 07:48 AM
Solid,
don't run afoul of the current law forbidding the melting of US pennies for any repurposing of intrinsic metals' reason.

How would anybody ever know? If you show up to the recycler with a chunk of metal that is 95% copper or one that is 97.5% zinc, the guy might have his suspicions, but I doubt he would say anything. Even if he does raise a stink, how could anybody prove that it came from pennies rather than anything else that uses the same alloy?

solid
24th January 2012, 04:38 PM
How would anybody ever know? If you show up to the recycler with a chunk of metal that is 95% copper or one that is 97.5% zinc, the guy might have his suspicions, but I doubt he would say anything. Even if he does raise a stink, how could anybody prove that it came from pennies rather than anything else that uses the same alloy?

I'm told, the recyclers in my area take photo ID information, DL's, when folks turn in metals. I don't know for sure, but I've been told. Originally, I was thinking 'how bad can it be?' melting down pennies...I was going to use the zinc for my boat. Not even turn it in. I just look at these pennies and they, to me, look like something practical I could use.

I've decided it's not worth it. I don't consider it a crime, at all, but it would suck to get busted for doing something so 'harmlessly stupid'. I should really look into buying zinc, by the pound, and casting what I need for the boat.