PDA

View Full Version : Fed pushes back rate increase

undgrd
25th January 2012, 07:23 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-set-push-back-timing-062228298.html
Fed set to push back timing of eventual rate hike

By Pedro Nicolaci da Costa

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve looks set to keep monetary policy on hold on Wednesday, even as it releases forecasts expected to show interest rates will be near zero for at least two more years.

Given recent improvement in the U.S. economy, the central bank will probably remain non-committal regarding the prospect for additional bond purchases, but will leave the door open to further action if Europe's banking problems spill over into the United States.

As part of an effort to provide more insight on its thinking to financial markets and the public, the Fed will begin publishing individual policymakers' projections for the appropriate path of the benchmark federal funds rate.

In so doing, the Federal Open Market Committee, the central bank's policy-setting arm, will probably reveal that it does not expect to begin raising rates until at least early 2014. Since August, it has only said after every policy session that it expected to keep rates ultra-low until at least mid-2013.

If the Fed can convince financial markets it will be on hold longer than they had anticipated, long-term interest rates could drop as investors price in the new information.

"A significant contingent of the committee views this exercise not so much as a process improvement but more as an opportunity to ease again via the forward rate communications channel," said Stephen Stanley, economist at Pierpoint Securities.

There is also the possibility that officials will announce an explicit inflation target, perhaps a hard marker of 2 percent or a range of 2 percent or a bit below. The Fed has been debating a statement on its long-run goals, but whether one will be released on Wednesday is unclear.

The Fed will release a statement outlining its views on the economy and monetary policy at about 12:30 p.m. The rate projections, along with regular quarterly economic forecasts, will be issued at 2 p.m.

While forecasters expect the U.S. economy grew at a 3 percent annual rate in the last three months of 2011, Fed officials will probably shy away from any explicit hints on the likelihood of further unconventional monetary easing.

However, many analysts think the recent momentum in the U.S. recovery will wane as Europe's economy falters, potentially prompting another spurt of Fed bond buying - probably one focused on mortgage debt.

Since December 2008, in response to the deepest recession in generations, the Fed slashed rates to effectively zero and also more than tripled the size of its balance sheet to around $2.9 trillion through two separate bond purchase programs.

The policy is credited with having prevented an even longer downturn, but has been insufficient to bring down unemployment to levels considered normal during good economic times.

In December, the U.S. jobless rate stood at 8.5 percent, and some 13 million Americans were still actively looking for work but could not find it.

Analysts note that the Fed's shift in communications, which has led to considerable confusion about just what exactly will be announced, will put an even greater emphasis on a post-meting news conference by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke at 2:15 p.m.

"The chairman is likely to remain non-committal to any additional policy easing, but he is likely to reinforce the Fed's commitment to 'review the size and composition of its securities holdings' and be 'prepared to adjust those holdings as appropriate,'" said Millan Mulraine, senior macro strategist at TD Securities.

(Editing by Tim Ahmann)

ximmy
25th January 2012, 10:22 AM
REAL Bottom line: there is still too much private wealth in individual American hands. Must continue beating up medium & small business, continue ghost housing inventories and inflated home prices. Continue paper manipulations showing solvency in all markets. ::)

--------------

Little of note in the statement: no QE3 explicitly in the form of LSAP, which an S&P over 1300 and crude at $100 made prohibitive. Instead the Fed is extending ZIRP through 2014, from 2013, which as commentarors, primarily Goldman had expected, and which means sub-3 year rates will never be above zero again. Our prediction for a €100 trillion 1 week MRO is not looking quite as insane anymore. Since this is incremental easing, the reaction in gold says it all.
Summary headlines via BBG:

FED EXPECTS TO MAINTAIN `HIGHLY ACCOMMODATIVE' MONETARY POLICY
FED SEES `EXCEPTIONALLY LOW' RATES THROUGH AT LEAST LATE 2014
FED TO KEEP REINVESTING HOUSING DEBT INTO MORTGAGE SECURITIES
FED SAYS INFLATION `SUBDUED'
FED SAYS HOUSING `REMAINS DEPRESSED'
FED REITERATES `SIGNIFICANT DOWNSIDE RISKS'

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/no-qe3-zirp-extended-thru-2014-jeffrey-lacker-objects-full-redline

mick silver
25th January 2012, 10:26 AM
is this why gold an silver are way up today Gold$1,698.90 $1,700.90 http://www.apmex.com/Skins/APMEX/MarketUp.gif $34.90 Silver$33.06 $33.16 http://www.apmex.com/Skins/APMEX/MarketUp.gif $1.10 Platinum$1,565.70 $1,575.70 http://www.apmex.com/Skins/APMEX/MarketUp.gif $22.30 Palladium$687.80 $692.80 http://www.apmex.com/Skins/APMEX/MarketUp.gif $11.30

undgrd
25th January 2012, 10:30 AM
Ximmy, your comment about too much wealth in individual hands is probably spot on. I fully expect the music to play until the Banks and Producers of real tangible assets decide to pull the plug.

gunDriller
25th January 2012, 12:57 PM
i don't understand how keeping interest rates low causes the market to react as if the Fed said they were going to print money.

were there some Dove-ish Fed officials whispering about QE3 in the background ? ... 'Dove' being the term for Fed banksters that favor printing.

But - who's complaining ?

Sparky
25th January 2012, 02:06 PM
All you retirees who prudently saved money your whole life so that you could live off the modest but reliable 5% interest? Tough luck.

osoab
25th January 2012, 05:11 PM
All you retirees who prudently saved money your whole life so that you could live off the modest but reliable 5% interest? Tough luck.

If those retirees haven't figured out by now that rates cannot go back up, they deserve to lose it all.

Most people wouldn't trust a total stranger with their wallet. Unfortunately, they will gladly hand over thousands to people to make "financial" decisions for them with out checking the adviser out or the strategy.

I listen to some advisers on the radio that keep telling the grey hairs to keep waiting for better returns, because they are "safe" investments.

Sparky
25th January 2012, 07:43 PM
If those retirees haven't figured out by now that rates cannot go back up, they deserve to lose it all.

Most people wouldn't trust a total stranger with their wallet. Unfortunately, they will gladly hand over thousands to people to make "financial" decisions for them with out checking the adviser out or the strategy.

I listen to some advisers on the radio that keep telling the grey hairs to keep waiting for better returns, because they are "safe" investments.

I'm just sayin', there's all this jubilation about low rates, which rewards borrowers while savers get reamed. When money is real, you get paid fairly for loaning it out.

LuckyStrike
25th January 2012, 08:01 PM

Exactly, the baby boomers are getting screwed with fixed income. 30 year T bills from a country which isn't even rated AAA yields lower than the stated rate of inflation, it's comical.

This news should come as no surprise so long as they want the house of cards to stay up rates have to stay at 0, the junkie needs his fix and can't even stand not being high 24/7 you take this stimulus away and the junkie is catatonic.

When you enter into ZIRP for this long, you never get out.

Sparky
25th January 2012, 08:12 PM
Exactly, the baby boomers are getting screwed with fixed income. 30 year T bills from a country which isn't even rated AAA yields lower than the stated rate of inflation, it's comical.

This news should come as no surprise so long as they want the house of cards to stay up rates have to stay at 0, the junkie needs his fix and can't even stand not being high 24/7 you take this stimulus away and the junkie is catatonic.

When you enter into ZIRP for this long, you never get out.

I'm not as sympathetic to the baby boomers (currently age 47-65) who benefited from the paper wealth era of 1982-2000. I'm more concerned about the previous generation (Age 66+) who tried to play by the rules their whole life.

Your analysis is correct. The Fed can only keep rates down by accelerating the juice. Funny thing about the bond market, though, is that it eventually exposes the truth, and it makes swift judgement.

LuckyStrike
25th January 2012, 08:16 PM
The Fed can only keep rates down by accelerating the juice. Funny thing about the bond market, though, is that it eventually exposes the truth, and it makes swift judgement.

Indeed, if I had a vehicle to short bonds I would be all over it, timing would be difficult since the markets are so manipulated but man when they lose control fortunes will be made in that space.

Sparky
25th January 2012, 08:24 PM
Indeed, if I had a vehicle to short bonds I would be all over it, timing would be difficult since the markets are so manipulated but man when they lose control fortunes will be made in that space.

TBF and TBT (2x) are two ETFs to short bonds. I tried TBT too early and got burnt. Eventually it will be a home run, but timing it in this environment of Fed manipulation and a cratering Europe is a tremendous challenge. It will be hard for bonds to implode until fleeing the Euro has ended, and that could take a while. Tread carefully, my friend.

LuckyStrike
25th January 2012, 09:17 PM
TBF and TBT (2x) are two ETFs to short bonds. I tried TBT too early and got burnt. Eventually it will be a home run, but timing it in this environment of Fed manipulation and a cratering Europe is a tremendous challenge. It will be hard for bonds to implode until fleeing the Euro has ended, and that could take a while. Tread carefully, my friend.

I agree, I think it will be at least 6 months and maybe as long as 3-5 years. Which is quite a broad range considering. Not really on my radar now, but if/when the bond bubble bursts I think it (short bonds) will be one of the only places to be (possibly PM's too) that isn't being destroyed once this bubble bursts I think it will be a bloodbath for many, hopefully not us :)

undgrd
26th January 2012, 05:35 AM
What kills me about this is how everyone is suppose to be excited because rates are staying low. Why? So the bank borrows from the Fed for .25%, loans it to me for 20x that, and I'm suppose to be excited? I'm expected to THANK these "people" who are making a MINT off me?

How about this. Why not lend direct to people for .25%?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAxqysyoptON0zidVKMbyi9ulXQtlev TU1LfEDdR13Bf12Q7GesbzlyTJslQ

Yeah. That's what I though

chad
26th January 2012, 06:50 AM
i'm currently halfway through refinancing my farm. rates went up yesterday.

LuckyStrike
26th January 2012, 04:02 PM
i'm currently halfway through refinancing my farm. rates went up yesterday.

Did you have the option to lock in at the beginning and then float down?

ximmy
26th January 2012, 11:07 PM
I thought inflation might be inevitable with this latest FED move...

LEEB thinks so too with positive outlook for gold & silver... and NOTE Chinese...

“Inflation will be let out of the bag, maybe for the next three to four years. In this environment gold and silver are the best investments around. Resistance points on charts don’t even count anymore when you are talking about a game-changing event like this. We are really talking about the next leg higher in this bull market. I think yesterday will go down as the beginning of the next major leg higher in the bull market. This is the leg I expect to take gold to $3,000 before the end of 2012.

This is a very big change. Just step back for a moment, the Fed is keeping interest rates at zero until the end of 2014. That’s almost three years. This is as aggressive as it gets and as bullish as it gets for gold. When you are looking at resistance points, that was pre-yesterday.

Today is a new chapter that starts with the title ‘Inflation is out of the bag.’ So the question becomes where does that take gold?...

“Well, look at the 1970s bull in gold. After inflation really started to assert itself, gold went up another eight fold.

I think this is a critical point, the move we’ve had in gold, over the past decade, has been in anticipation of inflation. We really haven’t seen gold react yet because inflation is still tame. We’ve had eleven years of a first leg in gold. Now we get the second leg and I say hold on to your hats because ultimately you are going to put another digit on the gold price....

Remember, China wants to eventually back the yuan with gold. This is why they have been accumulating massive amounts of gold. I predict in two or three years you will see oil priced in yuan or some basket in which the yuan is the central currency. When the yuan becomes the world’s reserve currency they will control the game....

more:
http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2012/1/26_Leeb_-_Fed_Game_Changer_Sparks_2nd_Leg_of_Gold_%26_Silve r_Bulls.html