PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried GSUS on a Kindle

Neuro
6th February 2012, 12:11 PM
I just got an offer from Amazon, shipping Kindles internationally.

It says they have an (experimental) web browser. Can you use it to read and post on GSUS? Has anyone tried this? The feature that is particularly attractive to me is that it has global 3G connectivity free of charge... I don't care if I can't view videos, but reading and posting on GSUS, possibly reading and writing e-mails would be excellent. Apart from the fact that I can carry a large library with me, and the battery lasts for a long time...

Gaillo
6th February 2012, 12:20 PM
No... haven't tried it, don't have a Kindle.
However, I use my iPad (most of the time) and my iPod touch (occasionally) to read and post to the forum - works just fine.
Don't imagine the Kindle should be much of a problem for you.

Neuro
6th February 2012, 12:27 PM
No... haven't tried it, don't have a Kindle.
However, I use my iPad (most of the time) and my iPod touch (occasionally) to read and post to the forum - works just fine.
Don't imagine the Kindle should be much of a problem for you.

Nowadays I'm almost exclusively using my iPod touch for this place. But it is a bit hard on the eyes...

dys
6th February 2012, 12:44 PM
I've used it on my kindle but it's been awhile. I broke it and it's out of warranty. I worked pretty well, though.

dys

Neuro
6th February 2012, 12:49 PM
I've used it on my kindle but it's been awhile. I broke it and it's out of warranty. I worked pretty well, though.

dys
Any particular issues with reading or posting on forums?

I am prepared to accept a few drawbacks...

Here is an old GSUS thread re Kindle:
http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?40351-Got-a-Question-about-a-Kindle&highlight=Kindle

dys
6th February 2012, 12:58 PM
It was a little slow at times, but other than that it worked fine. I loved my kindle, I'm going to get the latest version soon.

dys

Neuro
6th February 2012, 02:59 PM
It was a little slow at times, but other than that it worked fine. I loved my kindle, I'm going to get the latest version soon.

dys
Ok sounds good! Thanks!

madfranks
6th February 2012, 03:09 PM
Sounds like I may be in the minority here but I didn't like the "experimental" web browser on the kindle at all. I have the latest gen kindle with wi-fi and keyboard, and the web browser is very slow, it's hard to scroll (because the e-ink display doesn't work like an LCD screen, so the refresh rate is noticeably slow when you try to scroll down), and typing/posting is also a pain because of the screen having to refresh itself every time you enter any letter. It doesn't support flash or any animations, and the memory dedicated to the browser is so small that if you visit a large page with lots of graphics, the browser can't display the whole page. While great for reading books, and even web pages where the dominant function is reading articles (i.e. lewrockwell.com, mises.com) I wouldn't count on that browser to post on GSUS.

Neuro
6th February 2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks Madfranks! I've discovered other issues also. First they don't deliver to Turkey (which there are ways around, but a pain nevertheless). Second I found in the fine print that 3G doesn't work for web browsing, only wifi when surfing the web...