PDA

View Full Version : Comparison Review - Swiss One Hand Locking Multitool Knives!

Gaillo
7th February 2012, 02:08 PM
OK... Here's my comparison review of Swiss one-hand opening/locking knife/multitools - as originally discussed in this thread:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?58563-Looking-for-a-new-pocket-knife-multitool

Reviewed/Compared:

* Victorinox One-Hand Opening Trekker, Plain (non-serrated) edge: Amazon.com Link (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-One-Hand-Trekker-Non-Serrated-Knife/dp/B0055QG8K0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)
* Wenger Rangergrip 78, Plain (non-serrated) edge: Amazon.com Link (http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-16320-Rangergrip-Swiss-Knife/dp/B001UFN20Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

I'll refer to them as "the Victorinox" and "the Wenger" from here on out.

First off, a general comment re: other people's reviews of these knives. Almost invariably, I've run across comments that both of these tools are "too big" for pocket carry or EDC. I'm here to tell you that, unless you are a cityfied IT-Pro slacks wearing pussy, that this is just NOT TRUE. I would happily and easily carry either tool in my typical bluejeans, with lots of room left over for keys, SOG crosscut scissors, LED flashlight, etc.

I will now do a rundown of each, with pros/cons

Wenger Rangergrip 78 (non-serrated)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZXR-LuH1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love the looks of this one, at least at a distance. Up close is a different matter... it seems "cheap" somehow. The scales have rubber inserts, and maybe I got a lemon... but the rubber has "flaws" around the Swiss logo unlocking button that make it look "tattered". The scales (handle parts) don't feel "solid" - you can TELL that they are hollow and not a solid slab. The rubber inserts provide good grip, but the plastic portions feel slick and cheap... like they want to crack at the first opportunity. The scales are (in my opinion) overly thick, probably twice as thick as they really need to be. However, they DO feel good and ergonomic when gripping, so that's a big plus.

The knife blade on the Wenger is nice, but a little "bendier" and more flexible from side-to-side than the Victorinox blade. I don't like this. The blade REALLY needs to be a bit thicker... it doesn't inspire confidence as it is. The one-hand-opening hole/loop is VERY well done and aesthetically pleasing... too bad this knife (at least the one I received) is literally IMPOSSIBLE to open with one hand, due to incredible "stiffness" and lack of smoothness of the blade-to-frame interface. I have strong hands too... Maybe it will "loosen up" with repeated use, but for the price of this tool, I would expect this to come from the factory AS a one-hand opening knife that CAN be opened with one hand! I like the Swiss logo pushbutton lock release, it makes one-hand closing safe and easy... provided you can overcome the blade's incredible stiffness!

The rest of the tools on this knife are MAGNIFICENT, particularly the saw and can-opener... the can-opener is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Victorinox in design, implementation, and usability.

Pros: NICE tools - particularly the SUPERIOR can-opener. Good grippiness due to rubber inserts. Superior "Swiss logo" button blade-unlock mechanism. Longer saw and blade.

Cons: Blade too stiff to one-hand open (at least on my reviewed sample). Scales seem "Cheap" and overly bulky. Blade seems too thin and "flexible" side-to-side.

Victorinox Trekker One-Hand Opening (non-serrated)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31uB4i1h9zL._AA300_.jpg

This thing REEKS of quality and precision... NOTHING seems "cheap" about it (other than the too-low-for-what-you-get pricetag! :) ).

Subjectively, it "feels" like it's about 2/3 the size of the Wenger, but the ACTUAL difference in tool length/size is MUCH less... the blade and saw are only about 1/2" shorter than the Wenger's are. I think a large part of this perception is the bulkiness/thickness of the Wenger's scales.

The handle material is all plastic, no rubber inserts. However, the plastic used and the texturing applied makes it "feel" quite grippy... almost on the level of too-smooth micarta. It's actually a JOY to hold and feel in the hand. However, it's still a bit too "smooth" for my tastes, I plan on inlaying thin slabs of Micarta into the scales as soon as I have some free time for such a project.

The blade, in my opinion, is better than the Wenger blade. Not as long, but "stiffer" without as much side-to-side "flex". The mechanism is buttery smooth, can EASILY be opened with one hand, and has a ULTRA ergonomic thumb hole for opening that is exactly in the right spot for ease of opening. Holding the knife/tool, my thumb naturally falls on the thumbhole without effort. The locking mechanism, however, is not as good as the Wenger, forcing you to manipulate a liner lock in the path of the closing blade in order to re-close the knife. This also can NOT be done one-handed, at least not by any method I've experimentally attempted.

The tools are all quite nice, I actually like the Phillips bit better than the Wenger... but the can-opener is a HUGE dissappointment compared to the AWESOMENESS that is the Wenger's can-lid annihilator! The saw is about 1/2" shorter, but every bit as good as the Wenger. The toothpick and tweezers are a big "Meh..." to me, but some users might appreciate them. The Awl on the Victorinox is sharpened on one side, making "drilling" into hard materials possible... something the Wenger can't do.

Pros: All-out QUALITY - exuding from every pore. Blade has less "flex", inspires more confidence. Larger/stronger phillips bit. Sharper Awl, with drilling ability. Less weight/bulk. One-hand blade can actually be opened with one hand!

Cons: Can-opener is clearly inferior to the Wenger's opener. A bit less "grippy" scales than Wenger rubber insert grips. Blade unlocking mechanism not as user friendly, not one-handable, and slightly dangerous for inexperienced users.

I liked both tools, for different reasons, and seriously considered keeping both in hopes that the Wenger blade stiffness would work out over time... but...

Final decision: Victorinox OH Trekker stays, Wenger Rangergrip 78 goes back.

Final thoughts: The lack of a tip-up pocket clip on BOTH knives pisses me off to no end... as does the lack of a locking mechanism on the saw. You just KNOW you're going to end up folding that saw over onto your fingers the first time you really get into a long-duration sawing project and pull the tool just a bit too far back on a saw-stroke! :o

These tools are a radical revolution in multi-tool design for people who don't want a folding-pliar type tool, but fall JUST short of perfection by hanging on too tightly to past "swiss army knife" design ideas.

P.S. One final thought... if either of these tools were available with green, yellow, or orange/red Micarta scales and S30V blade material, I would not consider carrying ANY other blade in the known universe as my primary EDC! Seriously... these tools are THAT good! :o

MAGNES
7th February 2012, 05:41 PM
Victorinox Trekker One-Hand Opening (non-serrated)

I am going to buy one too and add it to my collection.
Have a few swiss army knives, very good quality,
sharp blades, I don't do anything heavy duty with
them, they can be dangerous as you pointed out.
The one I use the most is the money clip version.
After 5 years the precision scissors aren't perfect
anymore, it's always in my pocket. The large tool I
use the second most, for hobby oriented precision work.
I am a bit of a gadget guy, I have a lot of stuff I don't
need, collected over the years.

Gaillo
7th February 2012, 07:11 PM
Update:

I figured out a way to close the Victorinox Trekker blade using only one hand... but it requires that you press the back of the blade against something solid... it can NOT be done "mid-air" by any method I've been able to figure out so far. Also, you must be VERY careful when doing it, or you will end up sliced/diced.

Something that didn't make it into my original review... I had forgotten until now. The Victorinox Trekker flat-blade screwdriver/bottle opener locks open, using the same liner-lock mechanism used to lock open the blade. The Wenger flat screwdriver/bottleopener does not. Haven't yet decided if this is a real advantage... it could actually be somewhat of a pain if I end up opening a lot of bottles. For use as a screwdriver, however, it's definitely a bonus!

One other thing I've noticed: the saw on the Victorinox tilts "back" toward the user a few degrees, hopefully preventing the kind of finger-sawing accident I was referring to in my original review... while the Wenger tilts slightly forward, making that kind of accident more likely. Really well thought out on Victorinox's part!

Overall, I'm liking the Victorinox OH Trekker more and more as I use it more... it could easily become my favorite folder (and preferred EDC) if I could figure out a way to add a tip-up pocket clip and some micarta to the scales. Neither improvement should end up being too huge of a challenge once I free up some project time. ;)

For now, however, the KaBar "Phat Bob" folder (reviewed HERE (http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?29978-Ka-Bar-quot-Phat-Bob-quot-Folding-Knife-(Model-KA-4082))) continues to be my EDC folder of choice. Its godlike awesomeness continues to impress! ;D