PDA

View Full Version : carbon monoxide alarms

MNeagle
14th February 2012, 08:17 AM
Have an expiration date??

See my bolded section:

Rash of carbon monoxide poisoning sickens Twin Cities residents

At least four people in the Twin Cities were sent to hospitals during the past two days because of dangerous carbon monoxide levels in their homes.

That surge in incidents prompted CenterPoint Energy to remind consumers about the hazards of carbon monoxide poisoning.

One person was taken to the hospital on Monday after Minneapolis firefighters evacuated and ventilated a seven-unit apartment building where the boiler was producing dangerous levels of the toxic fumes.

An Eden Prairie resident also was taken to the hospital after carbon monoxide leaked into a townhouse from a nearby garage. A neighbor said she had left her car running in the garage for an extended time before leaving for work on Monday.

In separate incidents Sunday, two people went to the hospital after dangerous levels of carbon monoxide built up because of furnace problems.

Exposure to carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas, can make people ill, and in some cases cause death. Exposure to the gas can cause flu-like symptoms. Headaches, nausea, fatigue, confusion and dizziness disappear when a person breathes fresh air, CenterPoint Energy officials said.

Signs that carbon monoxide may be present include stuffy or stale indoor air, unusually high indoor humidity with persistent heavy condensation on walls and windows, and soot or water collecting near a burner or vent.

If carbon monoxide is suspected, CenterPoint officials say people should leave the area immediately and then call 911. Severe exposure requires medical attention.

Utility officials say carbon monoxide alarms, which are required by law, should be checked because they have an expiration date. Any level above 10 parts per million should be checked. A level of 30 parts per million or more is dangerous to humans and pets.

http://www.startribune.com/local/139257388.html

So I looked at ours, no mention of an expiration date and seems to working fine. Doing a bit of digging for more info, but thought I'd toss this out there.

Anyone have more info/advice?

Thanks.

palani
14th February 2012, 08:27 AM
If worried about it take the CO alarm out to the garage, start the car with all garage doors closed and wait (outside) 15 minutes or so.

If you do this you had best have a remote garage door opener. Don't go inside.

If you would rather not use the car a kerosene heater in a closed space should produce the same results.

MNeagle
14th February 2012, 08:38 AM
umm, no. Our garage is attached.

What to Look for When Buying a Good Carbon Monoxide Detector (http://blog.canellaheatingandair.com/?p=193)

muffin
14th February 2012, 08:58 AM
i say, if you think it's an old unit, just buy a new one. isn't your life and other's worth the money for a new one?

MNeagle
14th February 2012, 09:01 AM
Yupper. Probably what I'll do tonight, we've had it at least 7 years I know.

MNeagle
14th February 2012, 06:46 PM
Costco has these

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ln9ErnE8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

(http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-Monoxide-Battery-Digital/dp/B0039PHSNA/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1329273709&sr=8-23)

with an instant $10 rebate, drops the price down to $19.99, 7 year warranty, plug-in w/ battery back-up. Got two.

Glass
14th February 2012, 07:40 PM
If worried about it take the CO alarm out to the garage, start the car with all garage doors closed and wait (outside) 15 minutes or so.

If you do this you had best have a remote garage door opener. Don't go inside.

If you would rather not use the car a kerosene heater in a closed space should produce the same results.

I try holding it close to the exhaust in an open garage/place first and see if it is detecting. It should register something up close. Worth a try.

palani
15th February 2012, 02:34 AM
I try holding it close to the exhaust in an open garage/place first and see if it is detecting. It should register something up close. Worth a try.
True. Worth doing even for a new gadget. The new one might have been manufactured on Saturday nite or Monday A.M. in Taiwan and could be dysfunctional out of the box. Infant mortality as a statistic exists for electronic devices and might extend to a year or more, after which the device might be reliable for 30 years.