PDA

View Full Version : Rare pink diamond unearthed in Australia

Serpo
23rd February 2012, 11:09 AM
http://static.stuff.co.nz/1329948268/357/6467357.jpg
RARE FIND: A miner holds a pink diamond known as the Argyle Pink Jubilee in photo taken February 14 and released by Rio Tinto, in East Kimberley, Western Australia on February 22.

Mining group Rio Tinto has unearthed an extremely rare pink diamond, Australia's biggest rough pink diamond weighing 12.76 carats at its Argyle mine.
More than 90 per cent of the world's pink diamonds come from the Argyle mine in the East Kimberley region in the far northeast area of Western Australia.
The diamond, discovered in the Argyle open pit, will be known as The Argyle Pink Jubilee, Rio Tinto said in a statement.
It is a light pink diamond, similar to The Williamson Pink, the diamond the Queen received as a wedding gift and which was later set into a brooch for her Coronation.
Diamond polisher Richard How Kim Kam, who has worked for Argyle for 25 years, has started work on polishing the diamond in Perth.
After two months of careful assessment and planning, it will take about 10 days to cut and polish it as a single stone.
Richard said: "I'm going to take it very carefully. I know the world will be watching."
When the diamond has been cut and polished it will be graded by a team of experts and promoted internationally before being sold as part of the Argyle pink diamonds tender later this year.
Argyle pink diamonds manager Josephine Johnson said: "This rare diamond is generating incredible excitement.
"A diamond of this calibre is unprecedented - it has taken 26 years of Argyle production to unearth this stone and we may never see one like this again."
She added: "The individual who gets to wear this remarkable pink diamond will be incredibly lucky indeed."
Large pink diamonds tend to go to museums, are gifted to royalty or end up at auction houses such as Christie's.
Christie's has auctioned 18 polished pink diamonds over 10 carats in its 244 year history.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/6467323/Rare-pink-diamond-unearthed-in-Australia

osoab
23rd February 2012, 05:20 PM
How many does De Beer's have in their vaults?

PlatinumBlonde
23rd February 2012, 05:55 PM
Not only DeBeers but the vaults in Russia..

steyr_m
23rd February 2012, 07:57 PM
Not only DeBeers but the vaults in Russia..

If there are vaults in Russia holding diamonds, they are owned by De Beers.

zap
23rd February 2012, 08:04 PM
Oh, I just love diamonds they are so sparkly ! ;)

Twisted Titan
23rd February 2012, 08:20 PM
It can be cooked up in a lab fairly easily.

Just like Yellows.

Show me Gold or Silver any day

steyr_m
23rd February 2012, 08:24 PM
Of course they have black hands holding it... Just look at the toil these Abi's/blacks did so you can put that ring on your white finger.

I'm sick of it.

vacuum
23rd February 2012, 10:42 PM
It may only be a couple grams of carbon, but I still think it's pretty cool to pull something like that out of the earth.

vacuum
23rd February 2012, 10:45 PM
Of course they have black hands holding it... Just look at the toil these Abi's/blacks did so you can put that ring on your white finger.

I'm sick of it.
They're leather gloves :)

Horn
24th February 2012, 06:28 AM

Are you sure?

That looks like an elephant's trunk to me...

I think you may have a latent leather fetish.

steyr_m
24th February 2012, 10:20 AM

Duh, I should lay off the red before commenting....