PDA

View Full Version : Beet are coming in

EE_
28th February 2012, 01:27 PM
Anyone like beets?
I boiled some and grated them with horseradish, a little brown sugar and white vinegar.
Makes a great side dish
Next, I'll try frying up the beet greens.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/MaggiegirlEE/florida/beets-1.jpg

DMac
28th February 2012, 01:31 PM
I love beets.

Try this: A potato and beet salad.

potatoes, beets, sliced carrots cilantro and mayo. Serve cold like potato salad.

Love it!

beefsteak
28th February 2012, 01:43 PM
Love beets with hint of cloves here. That's the way my momma always cooked them. Those look real nice.

lapis
28th February 2012, 02:38 PM
Yum! I love beets, and yours look really good!

zap
28th February 2012, 03:46 PM
MMM beets, they are good for your blood ! chunk them up and add garlic,salt,pepper,red onions and red wine vinegar,olive oil.

letter_factory
28th February 2012, 05:52 PM
Juice them, roots and stems and leaves.

lapis
1st March 2012, 12:26 PM
You can make beet kvass (http://editor.nourishedmagazine.com.au/articles/beet-kvass):

This drink is valuable for its medicinal qualities and as a digestive aid. Beets are loaded with nutrients. One glass morning and night is an excelent blood tonic, promotes regularity, aids digestion, alkalizes the blood, cleanses the liver and is a good treatment for kidney stones and other ailments. Beet kvass may also be used in place of vinegar in salad dressings and as an addition to soups.

3 medium or 2 large organic beetroot, peeled an chopped up coarsely.
1/4 cup whey made fresh from raw milk, leave raw milkon the bench it will turn to cheese (http://www.nourished.com.au/articles/book-review-nourishing-traditions-by-sally-fallon-and-mary-enig) and whey within a few days (if fresh whey is not available just add another tablespoon of sea salt)
1 tablespoon sea salt
filtered water

Place beetroot, whey and salt in a 2-quart glass container. Add filtered water to fill the container. Stir well and cover securely. Keep at rooom temperature for 2 days before transferring to refrigerator.
When most of liquid has been drunk, you may fill up the container with water and keep at room temperature another 2 days. The resulting brew will be slightly less strong than the first. After the second brew, discard the beets and start again. You may, however, reserve some of the liquid and use this as your inoculant instead of the whey.

Note: Do not use grated beetroot in the preparation of beet tonic. When grated, beets exude too much juice resulting in a too rapid fermentation that favors the production of alcohol rather than lactic acid.

Old Herb Lady
1st March 2012, 04:37 PM
uhhhh beets, my fave !! Soooo delicious. I'm jealous, I want fresh beets, too. Send me some !
Oh well, I'll be planting soon enough. Spring is so close !

EE_
6th March 2012, 11:01 PM
For anyone that hasn't tried eating the beet greens...they're awesome. Every bit as good as spinich.

Beet Greens - How To Cook Fresh Beet Greens

Recipe Type: Beets, Vegetables
Yields: serves many
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min

Ingredients:

Beet Greens (cut off the heavy stems and discard)
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Preparation:

Wash the fresh beet green in a sink filled with cold water.

Place cleaned and wet beet greens in a colander to let some of the water drain off.

NOTE: You want the leaves to be wet.

Place washed beet greens in a large pot. There is no need to add additional water as the rinsed leaves will provide adequate moisture..

Cook, covered, over medium heat until the greens look wilted, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Beet greens cook quickly, so take care not to overcook them.

Beet greens will cook down quite a lot (just like fresh spinach leaves).

When cooked, remove cooked beet greens to your serving bowl.

Season with some butter, salt, and pepper to your liking.

Enjoy!