PDA

View Full Version : Rudastrone' soup

zap
1st March 2012, 08:51 PM
I made My late husbands soup last night , first time I have made it by myself, and damn it is good !! Haha

Soup bones with meat on em (any kind)

1 Celery
2 Carrots
3 Onions
4 Asparagus
Canned kidney beans
and some leftover pinto beans I made the other day
Zucchini
Green Beans
Potatoes
Pasta (I used Fuselli)
salt
pepper
garlic
basil
oregano
tomatoes (canned will work)
Olive oil
2 Gallons of water maybe more if needed
1 gallon of red wine
Real Parmesan cheese shredded

You gotta to brown the meat in salt, garlic and olive oil, then take it out and put it in a pot with water and 1/2 the wine, simmering it, then take the first 4 ingredients and fry em in the oilve oil,garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, for a bit, then add the potatoes fry em up,( tender crisp) then put all that into the pot with the meat, then add all the beans, and the tomatoes, add the rest of the wine, water if needed, simmer it all for a good hour and a half to get the meat off the bones, then add the pasta, let it cook a bit and then add the zucchini, maybe 30 more minutes,

Get yourself a bowl of steaming soup and grate the cheese on top. MMMMmmmmm good !

A nice loaf of french bread buttered and toasted, a green salad. ( no ranch please) you gots dinner !

Oh don't forget some more wine to go with it !

ximmy
1st March 2012, 09:03 PM
5 Canned kidney beans
and some leftover pinto beans I made the other day
6 Zucchini
7 Green Beans
8 Potatoes
9 Pasta (I used Fuselli)
;D

big pot...
http://bignotsoeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/me&pot.jpg

Glass
1st March 2012, 09:36 PM
Yum. Sounds like it would feed an army.

Big pot or cauldren? Eye of newt for seasoning? Sorry the pic's got me thinking of boil and bubble.

oh and ladies I'm not casting any nasturtiums about character either.......

MNeagle
2nd March 2012, 08:36 AM
no kidding Glass & ximmy, my thoughts exactly! Aren't you cooking for 2? You must have a big freezer, or plan on feeding the entire mountain?!

zap
2nd March 2012, 09:30 AM
You can't make a small amount of this soup , ( Go big or Go home !!) LOL, I will freeze some, took a pot to my sis, and I am having some for breakfast now, Mmmm I love it , will have it for the next few days.:)

Old Herb Lady
2nd March 2012, 01:51 PM
MMmmmmmm. You're killing me ! I need some soup now ! Uhhh !

(my hillbilly fam makes this ALOT):

Depression Soup !

2 lb ground beef (chuck or ground beef with no more than 5% fat)

1 medium onion, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

1 raw potato, peeled and chopped

Any other raw vegetables you have (green beans, peas, cabbage, tomato)

Any leftover vegetables from the refrigerator

1 can tomato soup

1 package frozen mixed vegetables (or 1 can of mixed vegetables)

Salt and pepper to taste

1 can of beef broth, if necessary

Beef bullion granules to taste

Instructions:

1. Place 2 lb. ground beef in large soup pot. Add enough water to cover meat with about 1-inch of water. Do not chop up the meat initially; it will break up naturally into big chunks throughout the cooking, stirring process. Add chopped onion, celery, carrots, and other raw vegetables. Cook covered for one hour over low to medium heat. Remove any skim that forms.

2. Add 1 can of tomato soup and cook one more hour.

3. Add any leftover vegetables from refrigerator, the one chopped potato and the package of mixed vegetables. If broth is too thick, add 1 can of beef broth. Cook another hour.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add bullion granules dissolved in water for added flavor if necessary.

This recipe makes a lot of soup, and it is great for several days when kept in the refrigerator. After refrigerating, remove the skim that may form on top of the soup before reheating.

zap
2nd March 2012, 08:51 PM
The one thing I have learned about soup is, if you fry up the veggies ( IT MAKES A HUGE difference,) try it.

lapis
2nd March 2012, 11:23 PM
I'm glad I ate before reading this thread! Thanks for the recipes ladies.

BrewTech
3rd March 2012, 07:21 AM
big pot...
http://bignotsoeasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/me&pot.jpg

Now if I could just get a stainless pot that big I could start making some SERIOUS batches!

5 gallon capacity is getting old.

Meanwhile, I will show Mrs. BT your recipe so she can get on making it right away!

Goatman
3rd March 2012, 07:53 AM
Now if I could just get a stainless pot that big I could start making some SERIOUS batches!

Meanwhile, I will show Mrs. BT your recipe so she can get on making it right away!

Here's a 40 quart stock pot from the webstaurant store. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/40-qt-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-stockpot-with-cover/922SSPOT45.html You can get lots of oversize cooking stuff here.

Old Herb Lady
3rd March 2012, 11:32 AM
Do I hear a 50 gallon food-grade drum anyone ??
I bet I could rig sumthin' up ! (and cook it outside over a "far" )

zap
6th March 2012, 07:17 PM
Day 8, I am done with this soup, I have eaten it for days and days now and its really really good, think I am going to feed the rest to the dogs, I'm done.

Glass
6th March 2012, 07:25 PM
I saw this thread pop up again in the new posts and I thought... whats the bet we're all done with Rudastone. ;D Still sounds good though. I'm looking forward to the winter weather and I'll give this a bash.

lapis
6th March 2012, 08:53 PM
I was inspired by OHL's "Depression Soup" to make my own version of it, but I added beans to mine and cooked it in the crockpot yesterday. It was good, and we finished the whole thing off today. My huge 6-quart crockpot broke recently (I somehow shorted the electrical cord??) so I've been using my tiny 3-quart crockpot, and have found it to be perfectly adequate for a family of three.

SLV^GLD
7th March 2012, 08:55 AM

Of all people I would have bet a Silver Eagle you were the man with a 10 gallon or larger stainless pot.