PDA

View Full Version : Italian Chicken Soup

Goatman
3rd March 2012, 08:00 AM
This recipe is from my friend's grandmother who still lives in the Old Country. Zap's recent soup thread made me think of it.

3 or 4 bone-in chicken breasts
1/2 medium onion, chopped
celery leaves from two stalks of celery
2 or 3 stalks celery, chunked
4 carrots, chunked
28 ounce can imported peeled tomatoes
1 chicken bouillon cube
hearty pasta shape
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cover chicken breasts with water and bring to boil. Skim occasionally. Reduce heat to simmer and add the chopped onion and celery leaves. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add celery, carrots, squished tomatoes, and bouillon. Cook for 20 minutes more and remove chicken. Debone chicken and cut into chunks. Add back to pot. Cook for 20 minutes more. Cook pasta according to instructions in a separate pot (I like to use penne for this soup).
To serve, ladle pasta into pasta bowl and ladle soup over the pasta. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty bread if desired.

EE_
3rd March 2012, 02:44 PM
This recipe is from my friend's grandmother who still lives in the Old Country. Zap's recent soup thread made me think of it.

3 or 4 bone-in chicken breasts
1/2 medium onion, chopped
celery leaves from two stalks of celery
2 or 3 stalks celery, chunked
4 carrots, chunked
28 ounce can imported peeled tomatoes
1 chicken bouillon cube
hearty pasta shape
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cover chicken breasts with water and bring to boil. Skim occasionally. Reduce heat to simmer and add the chopped onion and celery leaves. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add celery, carrots, squished tomatoes, and bouillon. Cook for 20 minutes more and remove chicken. Debone chicken and cut into chunks. Add back to pot. Cook for 20 minutes more. Cook pasta according to instructions in a separate pot (I like to use penne for this soup).
To serve, ladle pasta into pasta bowl and ladle soup over the pasta. Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty bread if desired.

Better be careful, the Jews will steal your recipe and rename it "Jewish Penicillin".

Goatman
3rd March 2012, 05:54 PM
Don't laugh. I've been making this recipe for about 6 years now and every time I am feeling poorly making this soup fixes me. I am beginning to suspect that it may be in the celery leaves. No definitive proof or anything, but the next day after eating this soup I always feel better. My buddy is full-blooded Italian and he swears this is his grandmothers recipe. It's quick and easy "peasant food". I love Italian peasant food. It's so good for the soul.

lapis
4th March 2012, 02:07 AM
Don't laugh. I've been making this recipe for about 6 years now and every time I am feeling poorly making this soup fixes me. I am beginning to suspect that it may be in the celery leaves. No definitive proof or anything, but the next day after eating this soup I always feel better.

I would guess it's from the veggies in addition to the bone-in chickens. If you added a whole chicken carcass with the bones cut up it could only improve it. Broth made this way naturally contains all kinds of healthy things:

Traditional Bone Broth in Modern Health and Disease (http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2005/broth0205.htm)

Broth, made from the bones of animals, has been consumed as a source of nourishment for humankind throughout the ages. It is a traditional remedy across cultures for the sick and weak. A classic folk treatment for colds and flu, it has also been used historically for ailments that affect connective tissues such as the gastrointestinal tract, the joints, the skin, the lungs, the muscles and the blood. Broth has fallen out of favor in most households today, probably due to the increased pace of life that has reduced home cooking in general. Far from being old-fashioned, broth (or stock) continues to be a staple in professional and gourmet cuisine, due to its unsurpassed flavor and body. It serves as the base for many recipes including soup, sauces and gravy. Broth is a valuable food and a valuable medicine, much too valuable to be forgotten or discounted in our modern times with our busy ways and jaded attitudes.