PDA

View Full Version : Introducing the 1/2 Pound Parmesan Prolapsed Cow Bacon-Burger

gunDriller
4th March 2012, 01:47 PM
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention."

My teeth were getting sore from chewing over-cooked cow steaks. Then I realized that I have a like-new antique hamburger grinder I got at an estate sale ! ;)

So, this is the recipe -

3/4 Pound Beef Cuts from Cow.

Marinade for about a Week -
Orange Peel
Apple Cider Vinegar
Barbecue Smoke Sauce
Cheap Dollar Store Italian Salad Dressing (has Red Wine Vinegar and Vegetable Oil)
Garlic -[b] Many Cloves of (smash 'em somehow so they spread out better)
Onions

Grind in Hamburger Grinder. Yields 1/2 Pound Primo Burger Meat. Feed leftover 1/4 pound of Beef gristle in the Hamburger Grinder to the family pets, whether they be chickens or dogs.

Mix in Parmesan cheese to taste after the beef is ground up. 4 Tablespoons of Cheese for a 1/2 pound of burger will help make a juicy burger. Patty it up into a big fat [b]Parmesan burger patty.

More ingredients - Onions & Bacon. Saute Onions with Bacon in covered pan at low heat for about 25 minutes.

More ingredients - Ketchup. 3 or 4 packets from McDonald's should be enough.

Remove bacon from pan, turn up the heat, and lay down some Ketchup in the frying pan. Then put the Parmesan/ ground beef Patty in the Ketchup in the frying pan. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, long enough to kill the germs.

Salt to taste. Maybe some ketchup. ;)

hoarder
4th March 2012, 01:57 PM
Hamburger shouldn't take that much to make it taste good.
When I make venison burgers, I add garlic, paprika, cumin, cayenne, one egg, soy sauce and salt. I make a half dozen extra large burgers at a time and freeze them.

Since you have the grinder, might as well start making chili, too. add a dash of oregano.

madfranks
4th March 2012, 02:06 PM
Let us know how they turn out.

gunDriller
4th March 2012, 05:57 PM
Let us know how they turn out.

a little dry. the meat is quite lean.

maybe a reason to add some more cheese ?

osoab
4th March 2012, 05:58 PM
a little dry. the meat is quite lean.

maybe a reason to add some more cheese ?

You could get some pork fat from a butcher to mix in when you grind up the meat.

gunDriller
27th March 2012, 01:15 PM
today i'm eating the heart. it's the most tender part of the cow yet.

i was going to give it to the chickens, but when i started cutting it up, i realized how tender it was. very little connective tissue. so they can have the trimmings, but i get the marinated choice cuts of cow heart meat.

it's the first cut from that cow that hasn't hurt my teeth from all the chewing. my hamburger grinder has been getting some regular workouts.

one thing i learned - it takes a LOT less time if you clean the grinder IMMEDIATELY after using it. if you 'don't have the energy' & procrastinate, to get it clean, you got to give it the elbow grease to get it clean.

palani
27th March 2012, 03:29 PM
Add nitrogen ... you might then be on to pink slime.

Eyebone
27th March 2012, 04:22 PM
The basic premise here is (to me), a bit screwy.

"Over cooked", is the phrase I stumbled over.

There are many ways to tenderize meat from papaya juice to over the counter meat tenderizer.

My favorite is to put my steak (get your mind out of the gutter), in a plastic bag and beat it with the flat side of my tomahawk, then don't over cook it.

gunDriller
28th March 2012, 05:13 AM
The basic premise here is (to me), a bit screwy.

"Over cooked", is the phrase I stumbled over.

There are many ways to tenderize meat from papaya juice to over the counter meat tenderizer.

My favorite is to put my steak (get your mind out of the gutter), in a plastic bag and beat it with the flat side of my tomahawk, then don't over cook it.

first of all, the meat i've gotten so far from this cow has been tough.

when i butchered it, i did it "caveman style", laying on its side on tarp. (OK, well, cavemen don't have tarps. straw perhaps.)

anyway, i put all the cuts into 5 gallon buckets and then bagged them up in my freezer.

filet mignon, stew meat, all mixed in together.

also, i insisted on over-cooking everything, because i didn't want to get food poisoning. "kill all the germs". this being my first time, i wasn't sure if i did it right.

anyway, that well-done, tough meat was tough chewing. so i started making hamburger.

it sounds like repeatedly putting pressure on a meat softens it up, e.g. beating it with a tomahawk.

when i was a kid we lived in Greece, i remember the Greek fishermen would stand for an hour in the sun beating the octopus' against the rocks to soften the meat up.

i guess my approach would be to get to thick clean pieces of plywood, and maybe a few layers of thick clean plastic. then put in 5 pounds of meat. & drive my truck over it a few times.

anyway, i will have to experiment with that. though right now i have some decent tender cuts, from the heart, and i'm getting good at making hamburger, so, no hurry.

i will check out the ingredients on some meat tenderizers.

undgrd
28th March 2012, 05:24 AM
I think you're doing it right by cooking it well being your first time butchering. That being said, I think using a meat tenderizer would yield better results than running it over with your truck.

That truck probably has better things to do anyway
;)

Eyebone
28th March 2012, 05:44 AM
Let me just add one thing, I don't think anyone mentioned.

Food born bacteria like E coli only grow on the exterior of meat.

Thats why we can eat a rare steak and not get sick.

By grinding meat the bacteria is mixed all through it and so has to be cooked to 165 F. internal temperature.

Also it is possible to add fat to the burgers to improve the taste and juiciness.

Tumbleweed
28th March 2012, 08:07 AM
gundriller when you're cutting that meat are you cutting accross the grain? That can help quite a bit. Cut it thin and fry it just alittle on both sides with seasoning.

Santa
28th March 2012, 08:15 AM
Why not just hang your meat off the back porch. They've been doing that since forever in the third world.

Maybe fly vomit acts as a meat tenderizer. ;D

muffin
28th March 2012, 11:08 AM
i'm laughing so hard at this thread. all this talk about beating meat and then running it over with a truck. sounds redneck!! "hold mah beer and watch this!"

gunDriller
28th March 2012, 01:11 PM
Why not just hang your meat off the back porch. They've been doing that since forever in the third world.

Maybe fly vomit acts as a meat tenderizer. ;D

well, now that you mention it ;)

speaking of flies ...

i procrastinated on cleaning up the carcass. just covered it with a tarp and concentrated on digging furrows.

then ... this smell ... GOD ALMIGHTY.

i have pics !

and i learned something - chickens LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV maggots !

once i got the situation under control, i got some big rubber maid containers. put the back legs in one, filled it 2/3 full with water. same for the front legs & some other un-identifiable pieces.

then i get a strainer & just scoop up the maggots into another bucket.

well, what you end up with then is, what shall we call it ? "Chicken Delight".