PDA

View Full Version : need to buy. how long should i hold out?

chad
6th March 2012, 09:59 AM
think they can knock it down under $30? down $1.40 today alone. what say you silver stackers?

Silver Rocket Bitches!
6th March 2012, 10:17 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. Here now the DJIA is down 200 points and silver is showing a relatively modest sell off. Compare that to last week when Bernanke spoke and silver plummeted $3 in a few hours. Just doesn't make sense.

Still though, it's a significant dip so I say grab some but save some powder for it to potentially go lower.

BTW, Apmex has Philharmonics $2 over spot for a few more hours.

chad
6th March 2012, 10:26 AM
cool, maybe pick up a few phils, hold half for later. hope it drops more.

ximmy
6th March 2012, 10:31 AM
you should buy some now and keep buying daily as it drops.

remember, it is valued against the dollar and the dollar is toast.

on the chart you are seeing a visual lie occurring.

Sparky
6th March 2012, 10:37 AM
I think the important advice (consistent with ximmy's comment) is that you don't buy all at once. If you are looking to buy, and you haven't bought in a while, then right now is a good time. But try to avoid using all your powder at one price. Use maybe 1/3 to as much as 1/2 at today's price.

osoab
6th March 2012, 11:14 AM
Don't forget the Au.

chad
6th March 2012, 12:57 PM
spent 1/3 of my powder today, will hold out a little while with rest as everyone mentioned.

Sparky
6th March 2012, 01:13 PM
spent 1/3 of my powder today, will hold out a little while with rest as everyone mentioned.

Nice. If silver drops below $30, you'll be able to buy some more. If it goes above $36, you'll be happy you took some action today.

EE_
6th March 2012, 01:32 PM
I think it's was worth a shot making a 1/3 pre-Purim buy.

Wall Street is worried the Greek bond swaps won't go well. If they don't, the market has farther to fall. The market takes metals lower. Buy more.

Friday US employment numbers are expected to be strong due to a warm winter. Market goes up by the end of the week. Silver back to $36?

Here's the wild card: If the Jew's attack Iran during Purim and drag the US in...dollar printing will go into hyperdrive. Silver at $50 soon?

LuckyStrike
6th March 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm probably going to do half today, see how it goes over the next few weeks, if it goes under 30 I'll deploy the other half.

I am a small fish in this silver pond, but I sometimes wonder how much metal is enough, I already have more than anyone I know personally, I wouldn't sell if it tripled in price so I'm not to sure how much I should stack. This doesn't come down to buy a Mercedes or buy a bunch of PM's, it comes down to buy more preps or buy more PM's. Lately I've been leaning towards preps which has nothing to do with how bullish I am on PM's but rather how useful the preps I buy are.

chad
6th March 2012, 05:08 PM
I'm probably going to do half today, see how it goes over the next few weeks, if it goes under 30 I'll deploy the other half.

I am a small fish in this silver pond, but I sometimes wonder how much metal is enough, I already have more than anyone I know personally, I wouldn't sell if it tripled in price so I'm not to sure how much I should stack. This doesn't come down to buy a Mercedes or buy a bunch of PM's, it comes down to buy more preps or buy more PM's. Lately I've been leaning towards preps which has nothing to do with how bullish I am on PM's but rather how useful the preps I buy are.

me too. i haven't bought many pms lately, but i have been stacking cases of food, fuel, ammo, etc. i'm starting to think nobody is ever going to trade me these things for silver, because frankly, none of them even know what silver is. i'm thinking i need the big supply hoard, and the pms will just always be there.

LuckyStrike
6th March 2012, 05:16 PM
me too. i haven't bought many pms lately, but i have been stacking cases of food, fuel, ammo, etc. i'm starting to think nobody is ever going to trade me these things for silver, because frankly, none of them even know what silver is. i'm thinking i need the big supply hoard, and the pms will just always be there.

My plan now is to buy silver until it gets to 40, but honestly once it gets much higher I doubt I will buy much. At least until I feel sufficiently stocked with preps. It's not that I don't think silver will go much higher than 40, but so long as we aren't in a hyperinflation I can just use that cash for so many things. Just like body armor I can buy a sweet vest or 25 ounces of silver, sure I can buy the silver now, wait a few years and then sell it and get 2 vests but I don't think putting off preps is a good idea and ideally I don't want to sell any PM's.

It's how I feel about gold for sure, going higher and all that, but at 1700 bucks that represents a lot of preps and I can't justify buying it knowing that I would never sell unless I had to.

My age plays a big part in the decision for me as well, I haven't had 20 years to accumulate supplies and preps. Either way I think the money is being well spent.

madfranks
6th March 2012, 05:33 PM
Just like body armor I can buy a sweet vest or 25 ounces of silver, sure I can buy the silver now, wait a few years and then sell it and get 2 vests but I don't think putting off preps is a good idea and ideally I don't want to sell any PM's.

Back in '08 when Obama was elected and the worry was that he'd re-enforce the assault weapons ban, I sold an ounce of gold to buy a sweet rifle and a few accessories. Of course today with gold at twice what it was back then, and with hindsight, I should have kept the gold until today and bought two rifles. However, the "insurance" of having the preps is very valuable should the S hit the F in the short term.

Twisted Titan
6th March 2012, 06:45 PM
@ LuckyStrike

Concentrate on buying Preps......

T he abilty to have useful items when the hammer falls can not be quantified in financial terms........ something as simple as band aids and wound cleaners might be the difference between some one making a speedy recovery vs being on deaths doorstep from infection gone wild

Preps first and foremost But you can also buy a roll of Mercury dimes once a month and it really wont put a dent in the Long term Prep Budget.

Last week I picked up 6 mecury dimes cause that was all i could swing..........but that was after dropping 50 buxx on 2 boxes of 45 ACP

k-os
6th March 2012, 07:15 PM
Back in '08 when Obama was elected and the worry was that he'd re-enforce the assault weapons ban, I sold an ounce of gold to buy a sweet rifle and a few accessories. Of course today with gold at twice what it was back then, and with hindsight, I should have kept the gold until today and bought two rifles. However, the "insurance" of having the preps is very valuable should the S hit the F in the short term.

It could have gone the other way. You could have decided to hold the gold, and you wouldn't have a nice rifle to protect it with. I know, hindsight. Just sayin'. ;)

Sparky
6th March 2012, 09:34 PM
I agree with the theme that having useful stuff is at least as important as having metal. If you're trying to speculate and get rich with metals, then you need to own a lot. If you're trying to position yourself to be independent in the face of unforeseen circumstances, then you just need more metal than the next guy, which isn't all that much.

In a real SHTF scenario, useful stuff will be a better store value than metals. Metals will store more value if TS almost HTF. So it's usually best to cover as many bases as you can.

Twisted Titan
7th March 2012, 03:59 AM
It could have gone the other way. You could have decided to hold the gold, and you wouldn't have a nice rifle to protect it with. I know, hindsight. Just sayin'. ;)

Taking that hindsight even futher The best time to buy firearm was two years ago....as we approach zero thour the power mongers are making more difficult to arm yourself and they are compiling additional information on anybody who is buying today.

The longer you can put distance between your self andfirearm activity in the eyes of the gubbermint the better there are awesome ammo deals on the net but I pay a premium for local because i get the benefit of using cash with no digital trail.

JDRock
8th March 2012, 08:43 AM

lead is the most valuable pm.

mamboni
8th March 2012, 09:53 AM
Guns, grub and gold.

Guns, ammo, silver and gold bullion, hard liquor, canned and freeze-dried food, bottle water, tools, gasoline, proprane, motor oil, plywood sheeting, self-defense weapons......converting fiat to any of these is a smart move long term.