PDA

View Full Version : Identity theft. Could use some advise.

solid
9th March 2012, 03:57 PM
Well, I received a call today from my credit card bank that someone was trying to add themselves to my account, and requested a card to be sent to them.

So far, no damages thankfully. I've already contacted my bank, put my credit on high fraud alert, and my CC closed my account, reopened it under another account number. Again, high fraud alert.

Now, I'm waiting for a full credit report to be sent to me (to make sure this person didn't buy a car, or something, under my name).

Fortunately, I only have 1 credit card. That's taken care of now. Also, I only have one bank account, that's taken care of as well. No unauthorized charges have been placed on either account.

A couple of questions for all the smart folks here...what else should I do at this point?

Also, an interesting twist, I have this person's name and address. The credit card company gave this info to me because I told them I was going to file a police report. I verified the address on google earth. The person's name may false though, it's the name they wanted on the card to be sent to them.

It's some small village in Wisconsin. I've been thinking about contacting their police department and passing on this person's name and address.

midnight rambler
9th March 2012, 04:07 PM
The way to get peace of mind is really easy. Get rid of the plastic and don't be the least bit concerned with your 'credit score'.

Banksters LOVE rubes concerned about their 'credit score'.

Down1
9th March 2012, 04:11 PM
Solid did you buy any E-Cig stuff from Wisconsin ?
Just curious because I was reading elsewhere a few people had a problem.
I will try to find the thread at the other forum.

solid
9th March 2012, 04:13 PM
Solid did you buy any E-Cig stuff from Wisconsin ?
Just curious because I was reading elsewhere a few people had a problem.
I will try to find the thread at the other forum.

I might have. I really don't know, but I'll look into this. Thanks!

zap
9th March 2012, 04:16 PM
I would file the police report Solid.....

solid
9th March 2012, 04:23 PM
I would file the police report Solid.....

@ MR I agree about the credit score, but I just had to get bonded for a big project, What am I to do?

Its like buying a house, with all the paperwork they require, It will keep my guys busy for a year, so I have to play in and around the bankers, sucks.... but I need the work.

I'm thinking filing the police report is a good idea as well. I'll call that little village in the morning, and talk to their guys. It's either that, or maybe GoD would let me borrow Enzo. Me and Enzo could take a little trip over there...get 'em Enzo! :)

Midnight, thanks. I actually don't really care about my credit rating. I also don't have much in the banks anyway. To take what matters to me, a dirtbag needs to come visit me in person. A big thanks goes out to this forum, for educating me and getting me 'mostly' out of the system.

EE_
9th March 2012, 04:31 PM
Don't sign your credit cards, instead write in the box "SEE ID".
Don't pay for anything with a credit card where they walk away with the card to swipe it.
It happened to me several years ago. I suspect it was a motel that stole and gave out my info.
The theives went on a buying spree with mine and the bank caught it because of so many charges in a short time. I was fully reimbursed and issued a new card.

Down1
9th March 2012, 04:32 PM
Here is a little online shopping safety advice we can all look at.

The best way to protect your credit card (http://www.moneytalksnews.com/credit-cards/) number online might be to use a fake one.Well, it’s not actually fake – it’s “virtual.” Yes, it’s legal. It’s also smart, and may be free depending on your bank.
http://www.moneytalksnews.com/2010/09/14/virtual-credit-card/

I should look into this info, it sounds good.

solid
9th March 2012, 04:37 PM
Don't sign your credit cards, instead write in the box "SEE ID".
Don't pay for anything with a credit card where they walk away with the card to swipe it.
It happened to me several years ago. I suspect it was a motel that stole and gave out my info.
The theives went on a buying spree with mine and the bank caught it because of so many charges in a short time. I was fully reimbursed and issued a new card.

This really is giving me a good education on the reality of all this digital funny money.

EE_, I have this person's name and address. This is the address they wanted the card shipped too, and the name, they wanted on the card. Talk about being bold. Anyone in WI want to pay them a visit and thump some skulls? (kidding of course)

EE_
9th March 2012, 04:45 PM
What is not talked about much, is how much counterfeit money is floating around.
There was a program on recently and the federal agent said they are finding $300,000 a month in phony money. I'm looking at my Benjamins a little closer now.

Blink
9th March 2012, 05:49 PM
Its pretty amazing how we've been convinced of the convenience of CC's and DC's. Look its safe and easy (easy to spend money you don't have). I always mention to people that when you use cash and write checks (with ID), you don't seem to worry about "identity" theft anymore. And as a bonus, you tend not to spend as much money.......... credit, worse than drugs.

General of Darkness
9th March 2012, 05:51 PM
I don't have a credit card, but I do have a debit card, and that's been jacked two in about 6 years so the money came right out of my checking account.

First things first, I haven't done so yet, but it's a perfect time for me since I need a new wallet. I'm going to get two of these, one for me and one for my mom. The reason is that thieves can now get your info without even touching your credit card.

Stainless Steel Ultra Thin Bi-Fold Wallet BLOCKS RFID

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07N05P9171&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle4&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle4-_-Wallets+++Keyholders-_-Jobar-_-9SIA07N05P9171

solid
9th March 2012, 06:18 PM
I don't have a credit card, but I do have a debit card, and that's been jacked two in about 6 years so the money came right out of my checking account.

First things first, I haven't done so yet, but it's a perfect time for me since I need a new wallet.

A new wallet? I've got a name and address. I say payback is a lot better than a new wallet.

What do you say, General. Let's take a road trip to Wisconsin. We can bring Enzo, and make sure he's damn hungry when we get there. :)

General of Darkness
9th March 2012, 06:24 PM
A new wallet? I've got a name and address. I say payback is a lot better than a new wallet.

What do you say, General. Let's take a road trip to Wisconsin. We can bring Enzo, and make sure he's damn hungry when we get there. :)

While that sounds fun as hell, I say let the police deal with it. Plus you have any idea how much trouble you, me and Enzo could get into on a road trip to Wisconsin? I doubt we'd even make it. I could see it now, Hey Pete is it ok to shot a shotgun out of a moving vehicle in Kansas? I think so. LMAO

osoab
9th March 2012, 06:30 PM
napalm.

solid
9th March 2012, 06:33 PM
While that sounds fun as hell, I say let the police deal with it. Plus you have any idea how much trouble you, me and Enzo could get into on a road trip to Wisconsin? I doubt we'd even make it. I could see it now, Hey Pete is it ok to shot a shotgun out of a moving vehicle in Kansas? I think so. LMAO

LOL, yeah we'd be lucky if we made it there. It would be an adventure though...like some scene out of the movie Raising Arizona.

Also, don't call me Pete. We're using code names...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgBrXwGidM

Libertytree
9th March 2012, 07:01 PM

Oh gawd a mighty!! LMFAO!! I can see it now, hahahahahaha... I'm almost cryin' over here, lololol!

mick silver
9th March 2012, 07:08 PM
who let the rednecks out

horseshoe3
9th March 2012, 07:09 PM

From the look of the road signs, it's either legal or noone cares.

horseshoe3
9th March 2012, 07:12 PM
Put a credit lock on your name and SSN. No one, not even you, can get credit in your name while the lock is on. If you do decide you want credit for something, it will be a hassle to remove the lock, but it sure beats the alternative.

PS, you can still use the card you have, just can't get a new card.

freespirit
9th March 2012, 08:49 PM
i got rid of my credit card a few years ago, and use cash for almost all purchases, debit for the rest.

if i really need a credit card, i can pick up a prepaid one at any western union.

...the credit lock thing is a great idea though.

beefsteak
9th March 2012, 09:17 PM
anyone have any fresh experience on "credit lock" reco from this thread?

Libertytree
9th March 2012, 09:27 PM
I use cash 99% of the time but getting the prepaid CC was a great investment for me. Yeah, it has its fees but at least I know up front what they are, $5 per card at purchase and $5 per month to the provider, with the bank it was always some shit with me always getting the worse end of it. The card is good though, I pay my ins with it, it's tied to my ebay/paypal acct and it's what I make any online purchases with. There's never enough left for anyone to steal from and I can only spend X amount...besides...there ain't anyone in their right mind that would want to steal my identity :)

Serpo
9th March 2012, 09:35 PM
Only one thing solid ,how do we know its really you.....................;D

Serpo
9th March 2012, 09:38 PM
Hold your credit card with the "megaphone lines" up to a BRIGHT light. Look for the RFID chip. Take a hammer. Beat the snot out of it in that particular spot. Problem with RFID Pass 'n Go and portable scanners solved.

Sounds very high tech Beefsteak..............hehe

Twisted Titan
9th March 2012, 10:13 PM
Cops aint gonna do a dam thing if you file a PR.......... hell I would be scared because when you file one nowadays they want your SS number as part of intake protocol

Not that you have to worry about it because Police Officers are of the Highest Integrity

beefsteak
9th March 2012, 11:01 PM
I guess it is, Serpo. LOL

Truth is, after I smashed it with a hammer, I grabbed a razor blade and cut it out entirely. Didn't realize just how much of a "sandwich" DC/CC had become. Eeezy Peezy

VX1
10th March 2012, 05:59 AM
My experience, about a decade ago:
The criminal contacted AMEX, said they were me, but lost their card and asked for a replacement. They also told them to change my address, because "I" had moved from Florida to New York; send the replacement card there. AMEX actually did all this; sent my corporate card to the new address in New York. The criminals went on a spending spree of expensive restaurants, clothes, and strip clubs. A month later, the "real me" contacts AMEX about the charges, but they won't give me any information, in order to protect the criminals. I said, "well, if I moved, why don't you tell me where I moved to?", but they would give me nothing. I filed a police report, but they flat-out said that since they were out-of-state charges, it was out of their jurisdiction, and nothing they could do. Then I told the police that actually, one of the charges was in Florida... and, of course, they said "oh, well, still nothing we can do". I called the merchant in Florida (auto repair), and they remembered the criminal. The merchant gave me their name, address (in NY), phone number, physical description, car description, and license plate number. Neither the police nor AMEX wanted this information. I spent a few days just crank-calling the criminal for fun, but that was that. This was all a couple of years before I really began waking up to the truth that we all know so well here, that the banks and law enforcement are really just putting on a big corporate act, and not really concerned with fraud and the rule of law, unless it compromises their shell game.

BrewTech
10th March 2012, 06:47 AM
The way to get peace of mind is really easy. Get rid of the plastic and don't be the least bit concerned with your 'credit score'.

Banksters LOVE rubes concerned about their 'credit score'.

I switched CU's recently, and the new one told me since they are a "conservative" CU, they must run my credit as part of the membership process.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to pay off every single credit account I had, and did so, and heven't used a credit card or had a loan since, and I found out what happens when you do that.

After running the credit, she said there was something funny about it and left to go into a back room. She came back a few minutes later and explained that my score came up as "1009" (or something like that), which meant I had no credit score.

The credit card I gave her for ID was a WaMu (remember them? HA HA) card that I hadn't used in years... of course the account would now be with the Morgue, who never sent me a new one to replace it.

She gently lambasted me for not using my credit card at least once a year to maintain my credit rating (e.g. to buy gas or something and just pay it off at the end of the month), and said it would of course "cause me problems if I ever wanted to buy anything"... if I didn't have a credit score.

I told her I didn't want to do any business with JPM, which was why I had a CU account in the first place. It took all I had to not go off into a rant about usury, debt, and those fucking thieves on WS, and that they could take their credit score and shove it up their ass for I cared. Somehow I think she got my point anyway.

I just figured that my credit score would come back low if I "failed to participate"... to know now they just eliminate it completely is kind of awesome actually... :-) I had my banking "citizenship" revoked ... LOL!

Sorry to go OT on your thread, Solid. It sounds like you did everything right. MR is right - if you don't plan on making big credit deals, just get everything paid off and don't use it, and/or close the accounts.

"Fail to participate!"

solid
10th March 2012, 07:26 AM

What a horrible experience. I don't know if things are getting better, or maybe it's just luck, by my experience with my credit card company was fantastic. I have to give credit when it's due....they were on the ball. They called me immediately asking for verification on this person. My account with them is listed as a business account, and the person tried to add themselves as an employee of mine. Once I told the credit company no, they immediately locked the account. They also put a password in place, that only I know. They will not even deal with anyone without this verbal password. Every conversation was recorded too. I should really ask to hear the conversation of the person trying to add themselves to my account.

solid
10th March 2012, 07:27 AM
Hold your credit card with the "megaphone lines" up to a BRIGHT light. Look for the RFID chip. Take a hammer. Beat the snot out of it in that particular spot. Problem with RFID Pass 'n Go and portable scanners solved.

Beefsteak, my old card does not have an RFID chip. They are sending out a new one though, I'm curious if the new one will have the chip. If so, I'll take your advise here. Thanks!

midnight rambler
10th March 2012, 08:15 AM
The criminal contacted AMEX, said they were me, but lost their card and asked for a replacement. They also told them to change my address, because "I" had moved from Florida to New York; send the replacement card there. AMEX actually did all this; sent my corporate card to the new address in New York. The criminals went on a spending spree of expensive restaurants, clothes, and strip clubs. A month later, the "real me" contacts AMEX about the charges, but they won't give me any information, in order to protect the criminals. I said, "well, if I moved, why don't you tell me where I moved to?", but they would give me nothing. I filed a police report, but they flat-out said that since they were out-of-state charges, it was out of their jurisdiction, and nothing they could do. Then I told the police that actually, one of the charges was in Florida... and, of course, they said "oh, well, still nothing we can do". I called the merchant in Florida (auto repair), and they remembered the criminal. The merchant gave me their name, address (in NY), phone number, physical description, car description, and license plate number. Neither the police nor AMEX wanted this information. I spent a few days just crank-calling the criminal for fun, but that was that. This was all a couple of years before I really began waking up to the truth that we all know so well here, that the banks and law enforcement are really just putting on a big corporate act, and not really concerned with fraud and the rule of law, unless it compromises their shell game.

I cannot believe it was that fucking easy for a varmint to do that, but then again I suppose the banksters don't really care WHO is using their credit, so long as it's being used.

JDRock
10th March 2012, 09:30 AM
i think it goes deeper than this, VX....this is hegellian dialect in operation.
step 1; create the "solution" to a non existant problem. (solution a computer chip in right hand or forehead)

step2: create the problem, by no/lax procecution of the crime ( in this case identity theft)

step 3: create a public outcry over the "problem" via the zio media, "SOMETHING must be done!" ( exept vigorous prosecution of the identity theives) while the sheep are bleating for government to save them....

spep 4?? PRESENT THE SOLUTION! which of course was the intended goal all along! line up here at homeland security to recieve an identity that cannot be stolen.

solid
10th March 2012, 12:53 PM
Cops aint gonna do a dam thing if you file a PR.......... hell I would be scared because when you file one nowadays they want your SS number as part of intake protocol

Not that you have to worry about it because Police Officers are of the Highest Integrity

I called down to the local police in that small town and reported it. They were friendly about it, but did not ask for much information from other than my name and phone number.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't care and aren't going to do anything. The cop did say he was going to look into it...but we all know what that means. At least it's in their system though.

EE_
10th March 2012, 01:22 PM
The cop did say he was going to look into it...but we all know what that means.

It means little chance of, or no profit to report to the corporate bosses.
No money in chasing a wild geese.

AndreaGail
10th March 2012, 01:23 PM
kind of an aside, but a site i enjoy browsing on the subject of privacy, identity theft, etc
http://blog.invisible-privacy.com/

He wrote the book, How to be Invisible, a good read, though a bit dated. you can DL it free at his site

beefsteak
10th March 2012, 01:50 PM
Solid,

here's an approach you might consider. It was "successfully" used on me by a disgruntled ebayer who was committing fraud upon me.

--I "won" 3 eBay items--same seller, single auction.

----He shipped.

--I received but they were NOT as described. (S/S described as solid gold, same for the obvious brass, etc.)

--I informed him of his misrepresentation.

----He countered by stating his was a "no refunds/no returns" auction.

--I informed eBay of fraud by opening "official not as described" complaint/arbitration process.

----He refunded early instead of go through the complaint arb.

When one opens an official eBay complaint, the SELLER'S money in that exact amount is IMMEDIATELY FROZEN in the seller's bank account through reciprocity agreements (fine print) in the PayPal sign up contract. Most ebay buyers don't know this.

--I then went to retrieve my money out of eBay via Paypal.

(Discovered Paypal has limitations over how much per month I could have [ $500] unless I give P/P more "info" than I'm comfortable in giving P/P in the beginning, in order to remove their "withdrawal limitations." The way I figure this is anything that keeps unnecessary info out of paypal's clutches is in MY favor.)

--I packaged up items into box to return them.

But I vowed to myself I wouldn't return them until the following month when I got the balance of my paypal money returned to my exclusive to ebay bank account. In my mind, the funds were still at risk of being returned or confiscated somehow to the thieving seller!

----He got pissy, b/c PayPal was screwing up all subsequent sales proceeds until I got satisfied. LOL

----Seller wrote up a formal theft complaint letter and MAILED IT TO THE DA of MY COUNTY to which he'd mailed the package. He got the county DA name/addy from Googling.

***County DA contacted local PD, who sent out a flesh and blood officer, plus backup officer to investigate the theft I was being alleged as perpetrating. Go Figure.

***When officer arrived he had in his possess a FAX copy of what the eBay seller had sent the DA...in full 4-color print out. ( I had Helen keep them occupied on the front landing, not even letting them onto my porch.)

--I laughed, went back into my home, retrieved the wrapped and ready for shipping box with contents, already addressed etc., and handed it to the officer. He had to use his own pocketknife to open it.

***He opened it, saw the items inside were the same as the FAX pix he held in his hands. Asked me why it wasn't mailed yet.

--I told him 2 things: one is, that I couldn't prove the fraud to someone like him, unless I had the items in my possession. And I did prove it to him. His eyesight was so good, he didn't even need
my magnifying loupe to see what was and wasn't marked.

Second, I educated him re: PayPal's screwy refund system, and said when I got ALL my money back, the guy could have his fraudulent crap items back.

***Officer handed me back my now opened shipping box, and gave me his card with his eMail addy on it.

***He asked me to please notify him with tracking info when I'd gotten ALL my money back fromt this dude. He said he'd then inform the DA and would close the case.

-- I did.

***He did.

***DA closed it.

==============

It is my suggestion you borrow a page from my life, as to how to get beyond the PD -===- you file your written complaint, via snail mail with the DA in the county where this indentity theft person resides.

======
What most of us plebes don't know about the legal system and how to use it is this:

1) There is a "reasonable man standard" by which all complaints/robberies/thefts etc., are measured.

2) That reasonable man is ALWAYS the District Attorney or his/her assistants in his/her elected office.

3) That D.A. -- as system designated "reasonable man" --, conducts a cost/benefit analysis PER COMPLAINT, to see if there is a monetary opportunity a.k.a., "collection of fines acc'd to statutes" benefit to pursuing the complaint.

In my situation,
the theft by fraud was $900+. That threshold was enough to get the DA to accept that complaint from Mr. eBay Seller, and then assign a local PD officer to investigate my "thieving ways."

==============

Solid,
if I were in your shoes, I'd take a page out of the eBay'ers harrassment of me, and do as he did...go straight to the county DA with your WRITTEN complaint and facts.

You may well be providing the piece they need to nail the thief on their end, which will mean big dollar signs into their coffers in the way of fines, etc.
(Have you ever noticed it's the county that keeps the fines, not the person who is filing the complaint and has been "injured by the fraud?) That's how counties make money over and above taxes sharing.

I have a sneaking suspicion the operation being run by the dude who tried to rip you off is "big enough cash benefit analysis by the DA" (i.e., over my piddly $900+) to interest / investigate. Do you have an estimate given to you by the Bank Fraud investigator as to what was being assessed to you at the time the fraud was intercepted? Use THAT gross $$ amount to get the D.A.'s attention.
=======

It is my observation from what you've posted that:
You simply have not reached a "decision maker" is what we called them back in the day.

You reach the County DA...you've reached lowest level DECISION MAKER.

Go forth & Go git'em!

beefsteak

solid
10th March 2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks Beefsteak.

I'm giving your advise a lot of thought. I am questioning if it is really worth it though. Unlike your case, where you had losses for fraud and were fighting that, I haven't had any losses. It was more attempted identity theft. I lost some time, and the hassle of dealing with it. But really, that was minimal.

If I go to the DA about this, I have to have some charges placed against this person. That might get me subpoenaed. I'd hate to have to fly out 2000 miles because of this BS. The financial cost of missing work would suck.

Also, I'm hoping the cop does the right thing. It would not take much time to run this person's records. Just a few minutes of time. Perhaps this person may even have warrants outstanding. Or..it's possible also if more folks report it, it would be enough to get a search warrant.

beefsteak
10th March 2012, 04:07 PM
Solid,
you make good points.

A couple of counter points.

Since you aren't familiar with Wisconsin statutes under which this person would be charged, the "what charges to file" would be up to th DA after the investigation.

I've given depositions in my lifetime and never seen the inside of a courtroom. They can be conducted "remotely" if it were necessary, and only a couple hours work time lost, in this day and age of electronic "viewing."

Didn't cost me a thing, and gave me a great deal of satisfaction to speak.

You might also ask the DA to give you a headszup when this case against the reported party in your complaint IS adjudicated, so you can enter a written "victim impact statement." Those statements are what help judges go decide between slap on the wrist and several "hots and a cot"....

Just some more shared thoughts.

Glad you aren't rushing into anything. Just grist for the mill, okay?

beefsteak

solid
10th March 2012, 07:24 PM
Glad you aren't rushing into anything. Just grist for the mill, okay?

beefsteak

Indeed. Cheers.

A couple of concerns. If I did go to the DA, chances are they would just refer the investigation to the very cop I talked to...small town. That could step on a few toes.

Also, I don't know this person's history. No damages have been done, just an 'attempt'. This person is a woman. Is she desperate struggling to feed hungry kids? Or, is she a professional turd. I just don't know.

Ethically, I'm lost on this one..

gunDriller
11th March 2012, 08:14 AM
i think it goes deeper than this, VX....this is hegellian dialect in operation.
step 1; create the "solution" to a non existant problem. (solution a computer chip in right hand or forehead)

step2: create the problem, by no/lax procecution of the crime ( in this case identity theft)

step 3: create a public outcry over the "problem" via the zio media, "SOMETHING must be done!" ( exept vigorous prosecution of the identity theives) while the sheep are bleating for government to save them....

spep 4?? PRESENT THE SOLUTION! which of course was the intended goal all along! line up here at homeland security to recieve an identity that cannot be stolen.

and next thing you know you'll be needing what Rush Limbaugh is Pimping - "Life-Lock."

actually, that name does seem strangely appropriate.

solid
11th March 2012, 08:14 AM
I found this person's phone number online...should I call her up?

I'm extremely tempted to call her and discuss this situation. What do you think? Beefsteak?

EDIT: I just found pictures of her online. She's a heavy set 45 yo woman, with 3 kids.

General of Darkness
11th March 2012, 08:40 AM
I found this person's phone number online...should I call her up?

I'm extremely tempted to call her and discuss this situation. What do you think?

EDIT: I just found pictures of her online. She's a heavy set 45 yo woman, with 3 kids.

OMG, YES YES YES. Post what you got and we can all annoy the shit out of her.

FYI - *67 blocks your number when calling. ;)

solid
11th March 2012, 08:42 AM
OMG, YES YES YES. Post what you got and we can all annoy the shit out of her.

FYI - *67 blocks your number when calling. ;)

Damnit. This is so fucking tempting... :) I'm not going to post her info here, yet. I really feel like I've got to talk to her first.

Man...what to do. Thanks for the *67 tip.

VX1
11th March 2012, 09:33 AM
Damnit. This is so fucking tempting... :) I'm not going to post her info here, yet. I really feel like I've got to talk to her first.

Man...what to do. Thanks for the *67 tip.

She's just going to hang up on you each time. It will certainly scare her though. Might be fun to tell her you're with the CC company first, and just have questions on a couple of charges (or something like that). The main person who stole my identity was a woman too. I guess I'm not much of a softie, but just because a criminal popped-out some ghetto brats, doesn't make me feel sorry for her... usually pure irresponsibility and another way they scam the system.

I'm no expert on the racket, but I suspect these women just buy the information from the real people who stole your information; perhaps it's been passed around by several middlemen before they buy it. These women definitely know they are defrauding, but aren't the heart of the operation. There's a small chance your call(s) could scare this one straight (relatively), but most likely, she'll just move onto the next number. Make the call anyway; don't need to make it easy for them. What bothered me most about my experience, was that everyone (AMEX, police) seemed much more concerned on protecting the criminal than the victim. Let 'em know there's a bit of risk in stealing from the wrong guy.

Spectrism
11th March 2012, 09:57 AM
AMEX had a strong history of being a screw up. In Germany, for some reason, the US gave them exclusive control over American accounts. They were constantly screwing up my soldiers' accounts.

I got a pay back years later. I had cashed a check $1000+ with them in Germany. The bank I had was stateside... and they never cleared the check. A couple years later I got a call from the bank- which I already left & closed the account. They said that they were being presented with an OLD check by AMEX and did I want to honor it?

My answer: Nope.

solid
11th March 2012, 10:13 AM
She's just going to hang up on you each time. It will certainly scare her though. Might be fun to tell her you're with the CC company first, and just have questions on a couple of charges (or something like that). The main person who stole my identity was a woman too. I guess I'm not much of a softie, but just because a criminal popped-out some ghetto brats, doesn't make me feel sorry for her... usually pure irresponsibility and another way they scam the system.

I'm no expert on the racket, but I suspect these women just buy the information from the real people who stole your information; perhaps it's been passed around by several middlemen before they buy it. These women definitely know they are defrauding, but aren't the heart of the operation. There's a small chance your call(s) could scare this one straight (relatively), but most likely, she'll just move onto the next number. Make the call anyway; don't need to make it easy for them. What bothered me most about my experience, was that everyone (AMEX, police) seemed much more concerned on protecting the criminal than the victim. Let 'em know there's a bit of risk in stealing from the wrong guy.

Good points. I did call the number *67 and got her voicemail. I hung up, but now I know it's a valid number. I also reported her to the FTC and filed a formal identity theft (attempt) report. I've yet to file a formal police report locally, but I most likely will.

This whole thing is very concerning to me. My credit card told me this person has all my info, ssn, etc.

So, all my credit is locked down on fraud alert, and I'll be alerted at any attempts from anyone even seeking info on my credit. I think I've done everything I can at this point. What a hassle.

Now, if I call her up. I may be able to scare her...or, I may just end up tipping her off so she can hide her tracks. It may be best to not call, and hopefully the FTC investigates it. It's tempting to call though...it really is.

beefsteak
11th March 2012, 10:55 AM
Solid,
as you requested, my advice is to NOT make personal contact. You're already feeling "exposed" to her and her network. Your goal as I understand it is to A) protect yourself better from this day forward, B) not lose work time or create more expenses for yourself, and C) satisfy some curiousity factor now into play.

She's found a living breathing "mark." While that may "scare her" on some level, true, you aren't big enough on the "handing out justice chain" to be the decision maker/nor mete out punishment for her crime. She knows it. You know it. The "what-we-have-that-passes-for- justice-system "knows it, too."

Personal contact will most assuredly be providing ammunition and inviting increasing harrassment to you from the larger network from which she gains credit card numbers and pulls ID theft on you and others. She is getting advice from her "network" as to "what to do in case you get caught...or hear from the person whose identity you've stolen personally, etc."

It's not easy to acknowledge that you have no teeth, only bark, Solid, at least not to this woman, nor her network of thieves.

Sorry this has happened to you.

If you truly want to go after her, then choose an effective lawful method, and not one that operates on a less noble but oh so very human "get even" behavior modality.

I'm sorry you find yourself caught up in this situation. Be careful. Be effective. Be lawful. Remember, the "reasonable man standard" will be applied to YOUR post ID theft behavior by the one WITH the power to truly make your life miserable if you cross the "reasonable behavior" line in the County D.A.'s mind.

beefsteak

solid
11th March 2012, 11:17 AM
It's not easy to acknowledge that you have no teeth, only bark, Solid, at least not to this woman, nor her network of thieves.

Beefsteak, I hear what you are saying, I'd really like to buy ya a beer sometime for all the advise you've sent my way...

Consider this though, I really think I've got plenty of teeth here. I have her address, her phone number, heck I've got a picture of this woman now. Aside from going after her criminally, and civilly, for that matter. I could make her life miserable. I could anonymously post her information on hundreds of forums online, with her picture, as well.

My credit is locked now. I have no kids to support. I'm mostly out of the system...the little wealth I've saved is in PM's. She, nor anyone in her network, can get me there.

One thing, in life, I've learned is to take risks on occasion. I will not be bullied. I want to know how she got my information. I will wait. If LE or the FTC won't do anything about it. I will. One way or another, I've got to get to the bottom of this. This woman needs to know that her fraudulent actions are not acceptable. If anything, I may stop her from preying on other folks, who have more to lose...house, family,etc. I really don't care about my credit rating anyway.

beefsteak
11th March 2012, 11:20 AM
Understood, Solid. Do keep us posted as you proceed, bro'.

beefsteak

solid
11th March 2012, 11:29 AM
Understood, Solid. Do keep us posted as you proceed, bro'.

beefsteak

Will do. Again, thanks for everything. Many thanks go out to everyone for their posts in this thread.

I'm going to sit tight for now, and give the authorities a chance to do their thing, if they do. No hurry, she's in my cross hairs. Also, if I do contact her in the future, the biggest card I hold is to not give away my identity. I don't want her knowing exactly who she's speaking with. Give her a chance to explain herself.

The opportunity here for me to stop a predator is just too big for me to pass up.

solid
11th March 2012, 02:15 PM
You know, I really could just have a lot of fun with this...

It might be funny to put an ad in the local craigslist, with this person's name and number: Free truck!! First one to call gets it.

Or, I could order a bunch of pizzas to be delivered to her home. :)

Spectrism
11th March 2012, 02:40 PM
If I had nothing better to do, stealing from a thief would be fun.

If the cops do nothing, warning the neighbors would be a possibility.

Libertytree
11th March 2012, 02:41 PM
Sign her up for a bunch of magazine subscriptions, info packets from places like BDSM sites, sex toy catalogues, bestiality, sick twisted shit. You can do that totally anon, diluge them with everything and anything, pledge contributions in her name...just do it off the radar.

Mouse
11th March 2012, 11:00 PM
Forgive her and move on. The negative energy is already sapping you. She is off your back, if you go after her you only hurt yourself at this point, as her network also knows you address and phone numbers......Be the bigger dick.

Glass
12th March 2012, 12:28 AM
Will do. Again, thanks for everything. Many thanks go out to everyone for their posts in this thread.

I'm going to sit tight for now, and give the authorities a chance to do their thing, if they do. No hurry, she's in my cross hairs. Also, if I do contact her in the future, the biggest card I hold is to not give away my identity. I don't want her knowing exactly who she's speaking with. Give her a chance to explain herself.

The opportunity here for me to stop a predator is just too big for me to pass up.

Why don't you help the lady out. She obviously needs the money. Post her details to Craigs List..... you know, in the entertainment section. A few other places. Special Friday nite offer. Call CPS. Sorted. Everyone's a winner

or do like Mouse said.

milehi
12th March 2012, 08:08 AM
Bill her for your time you spent cleaning up the mess she made.

solid
12th March 2012, 08:09 AM
Forgive her and move on. The negative energy is already sapping you. She is off your back, if you go after her you only hurt yourself at this point, as her network also knows you address and phone numbers......Be the bigger dick.

You know, you are right Mouse. It has been negative energy dealing with this. I don't need to lower myself to her level. I've done everything I can, reported it, etc. What goes around comes around. I think I will take the higher road here.

You know what's interesting though, from a philosophical angle...is how all these advancements we've made, humanity, and everything is just so damn fragile. Nothing is build to be strong and last anymore. Our whole 'in the system' identities, digits, credit, fake fiat money, are always open and up for grabs to be attacked. Yet, the true strength is really in gold and silver. Even all our fancy gadgets, drop them on the ground, and it's gone..it's almost like we've gone backwards.

solid
12th March 2012, 08:15 AM
Bill her for your time you spent cleaning up the mess she made.

Also, this woman has to be the stupidest person on the planet.

Who in their right mind would put their real name on someone's credit card, and have that card shipped to their real address? Did this woman honestly think nobody would notice?

Part of me thinks, perhaps, that her identity may have been taken, and that there's a third party at work here.

midnight rambler
12th March 2012, 08:25 AM
Our whole 'in the system' identities, digits, credit, fake fiat money, are always open and up for grabs to be attacked.It's the very nature of the Matrix (the illusion), as created by Lucifer and his imps.

The game is setup to that life is sooooo much smoother when one just goes along to get along.

solid
12th March 2012, 08:35 AM
It's the very nature of the Matrix (the illusion), as created by Lucifer and his imps.

The game is setup to that life is sooooo much smoother when one just goes along to get along.

The game is also set up to which we compete with each other as well. Our focus, is then diverted away from their evil ways. Nobody notices what you've pulled out of the system (pm's), yet folks notice the fancy cars people finance, overpriced homes, or the $200 pair of shoes, fashion, consumption. By chasing the dangling carrot they've created, they can just sit back and collect the profits.

solid
26th March 2012, 06:36 AM
Hi folks,

I just thought I'd update this thread with a current status, and a few things I've learned going through identity theft fraud.

Thankfully, I have not suffered any financial loss. Furthermore, per my bank's advise, I've signed up for enhanced identity theft protection through trilegiant company. There's some nice features that give me a lot of peace of mind. They monitor my credit 24/7. Any inquiries on my credit, or changes, are flagged immediately and I am notified of it.

Also, I can log online, and see my full credit report up to date, and monitor my credit myself. They also provide insurance in case of any theft of loss, and provide legal support. Basically, it's like auto, or home insurance, but for our identity in this world of credit. It's a nice feeling to know I can take some control over my credit, and see exactly what's going on immediately. It's always bothered me that credit is just "out there" up for grabs, it seems.

The service is $16 a month. You can cancel it at anytime. Just the peace of mind is worth it to me. If anyone is interested in taking proactive steps to protect themselves, I do recommend the trilegiant theft protection.

palani
26th March 2012, 07:15 AM
Nobody notices what you've pulled out of the system (pm's), yet folks notice the fancy cars people finance, overpriced homes, or the $200 pair of shoes, fashion, consumption.

Easy enough to counter these feelings that others are progressing more than you. Simply go to the secretary of states web site. They will have an online database of UCC forms. The search engine they provide in Iowa permits one to put someones name and town and a list of all the UCCs filed on them will pop up. Clicking on any of these documents will bring a scan up your computer.

Those people who appear to have the most actually own the least. You use these documents to find out who owns their "goods".

palani
26th March 2012, 07:17 AM
per my bank's advise

Most advice given me by bank has been wrong. That is why I no longer do business with banks. But I don't let my opinion cloud my judgment, as I am ok with others dealing with banks.

solid
26th March 2012, 07:34 AM
Most advice given me by bank has been wrong. That is why I no longer do business with banks. But I don't let my opinion cloud my judgment, as I am ok with others dealing with banks.

I don't like banks either palani. I basically keep the minimum amount in there to pay bills, etc. What I don't want though, is some asshole racking up a bunch of debt in my name. I've got a very good credit score as well, in the 800's. Identity theft can be a real nightmare for people. Whatever digit frn's we have in the system, can be taken...but worse, debt can be created under us in the system.

You could have no bank,no credit cards, etc....then find out someone has created 10 credit cards under your name and is maxing them out.

The whole system sucks. I really want out of it, but keeping a minimal profile may be the best way to fly under the radar, to protect ourselves.

Down1
30th March 2012, 12:33 PM
Security blogger Brian Krebs this morning broke a story that Visa and MasterCard have begun sending alerts to banks about a major breach at an unnamed payment card processing firm.

Visa and MasterCard have acknowledged the breach, and the Wall Street Journal is now reporting that the processor is Atlanta-based Global Payments.

Krebs told Technology Live that Global Payments is expected to issue a statement today.

"Law enforcement asked everyone to keep it quiet so as not to disturb investigations," Krebs says. " I'm hearing now from two sources that investigators suspect Dominican street gangs may be involved and that the fraud is focusing mostly on commercial credit and debit card accounts."
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2012/03/merchants-on-hook-for-global-payments-breach/1#.T3YIrPUUgdU