PDA

View Full Version : New Clownfish

Grog
15th March 2012, 02:51 PM
Got these two a few days ago, as the latest additions to my reef tank. They are black Ocellaris clownfish and stick together like glue. Practically inseperable. Never seen fish do that. Fun to watch.

Grog

ximmy
15th March 2012, 02:54 PM
Do they drift apart as they sleep?

Grog
15th March 2012, 02:59 PM
I've had them for three days and never seen them apart for more than a few moments. They are a little team. :D Though the may just dash apart when I'm not looking. haha.

I may get them an anemone at some point. Kind of letting the tank mature a bit.

mamboni
15th March 2012, 03:09 PM
When I saw the title, I thought this was a thread about Obama.

ximmy
15th March 2012, 03:11 PM
Maybe they take turns sleeping so they can always be together... http://mybakersfieldhealthcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Two-Hearts-Logo-72dpi-300x300.gif

Neuro
15th March 2012, 03:15 PM
Are they edible?

Grog
15th March 2012, 04:03 PM
Are they edible?

Probably, but would be more of a snack than a meal. They get 4" max. Costly meal too. These are more for 'quality of life' than 'quantity of food'. haha

EE_
15th March 2012, 05:42 PM
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/MaggiegirlEE/latest%20pics/clown-fish-painting-on-face-fish.jpg

gunDriller
15th March 2012, 06:10 PM
what do the clownfish eat ?

Old Herb Lady
15th March 2012, 06:42 PM
My last clownfish just died ! I have to get another one tomorrow . I absolutely LOVE kissing fishies . So adorable. And I like that movie Finding Nemo. He's a clownfish, too.
Fish & fish tanks are relaxing to me, not just the fishies, but all the cute stuff in the tank & the colors...i wanna be a mermaid . LOL

Old Herb Lady
15th March 2012, 06:43 PM
Are they edible?

Neuro ! you don't eat your pets silly man.

ximmy
15th March 2012, 06:48 PM
My last clownfish just died ! I have to get another one tomorrow . I absolutely LOVE kissing fishies . So adorable. And I like that movie Finding Nemo. He's a clownfish, too.
Fish & fish tanks are relaxing to me, not just the fishies, but all the cute stuff in the tank & the colors...i wanna be a mermaid . LOL

make sure you get two, so they can be together... every pet animal should have a mate...

Grog
15th March 2012, 07:12 PM
what do the clownfish eat ?

In the wild, whatever comes around. :D pods, shrimp, algae, etc. They are omnivores.

I've been feeding them mysis shrimp, formula one pellets, and will try an omnivore blend for tomorrow's feeding. They don't like the pellets too much but they like the mysis shrimp which is not a surprise. What doesn't like shrimp? It is the bacon of the sea!

I like to vary the foods I give my fish so they get a balanced mix of nutirents. I've done this with my freshwater and now my marine fish. Kind of new to the reef tank thing but I'm liking it. So much to learn; find out new things every day.

Grog
15th March 2012, 07:19 PM
make sure you get two, so they can be together... every pet animal should have a mate...

Clowns start out as males. Then if they are a pair, the larger of the two switches sex and becomes the female. These two were already sort of paired up. The larger one was beating up on a third that was in the tank with them. I'm 100% convinced that these are a duo and I got the right ones. They are inseprable.

From what I've read, clowns are much easier than other marine fish to breed in captivity. They lay eggs ~once a month. I'm not expecting to go into clownfish breeding, but it would be cool to have a litter or two and trade out some babies for other livestock.

There are commercial breeders of clownfish, so you don't have to buy wild harvested ones now. Another reason I bought these guys, they were captive bred. Now we are seeing breeding for traits, kind of like koi. All black, dots, shades of color, etc. These guys are a captive bred coloration that I don't believe occurs in the wild. (I could be wrong there but IIRC this is correct.)

Here in the next few months, maybe this summer after my tank is more mature, I'll get my clowns a bubble tip anemone to host in. :D

zap
15th March 2012, 09:01 PM
I never understood the idea of having fish in a tank in my house, they are nice to look at I guess...

Lat year my little one won some goldfish and wanted me to do the fish tank in the house thing,I said " No heck no," lets put em in the tough, I don't have to feed them or water them or clean the tank and all 4 are living happily ever after.;)

BrewTech
15th March 2012, 09:08 PM
I don't have any fish, but I have a turtle. It lives in my bathtub during the winter months, and in a pond I dug in the backyard during the warmer months.

My folks had some fish when I was a kid, and I've always liked water creatures... good balance.

Who was it on GIM that had as their sig line...

"Pets are a fun way to store food for when TSHTF..."?

ximmy
15th March 2012, 11:00 PM
If I ever have fish I will have a fish farm... That being said; Zap, My house came with a man-made pond in the front. My mom filled it with goldfish. They grew huge and she adds water as it evaporates, feeds them cheap fishfood.. they have been there for 3 years now... :)

Grog
15th March 2012, 11:38 PM
Not farming here. No tilapia or catfish. My fish are a science project, pets, and functional art rolled into one. I have five different tanks at present and have plans for the next few... An eel tank and a Texas coastal themed build, with golden croaker, are my next two in line.

This is a hobby and educational thing for me, not survival by any means. However, I'm sure the lessons I've learned could be beneficial in a survival situation. It has made me rethink some of my fishing strategies. ;) and its given me a new appreciation for all the little critters in the environment. crabs, worms, etc. Fun to watch them work.

Old Herb Lady
16th March 2012, 08:51 AM
this threads too much. Now I want a pond or 2 , a turtle, lots of fish and I want it all RIGHT NOW dammit !
BrewTech, how big is your turtle ?
I know a guy that has goldfish that are over 20 years old & they're like fat . Fat goldfish ? They're so CUTE !

Grog
28th March 2012, 09:39 PM
The first picture is my flower anemone taken under actinic lighting. It has been in the tank for a while. The second picture is a condilactys anemone under a mix of 12,000k and actinic lighting. The condy was I added to the tank today. Neither of these will host the clownfish but they are fun to watch so I don't really mind.

Actually, there is a chance the clowns will take up residence in the condy, but that would be an exception, not an expectation. Both anemones are carnivorous, I feed the flower anemone fish and shrimp. The condy is photosynthetic too, so it took up residence at the top of the water column. Even though today is its first day here, it ate some shrimp.

And yes, it took up residence. Anemones have a single foot (the one on the flower anemone looks like a human tongue) and can relocate themselves if they don't like where they are positioned.

(BTW: The thing under the condy is a sea cucumer, a donkey dung cucumber...)

gunDriller
29th March 2012, 07:50 AM
In the wild, whatever comes around. :D pods, shrimp, algae, etc. They are omnivores.

I've been feeding them mysis shrimp, formula one pellets, and will try an omnivore blend for tomorrow's feeding. They don't like the pellets too much but they like the mysis shrimp which is not a surprise. What doesn't like shrimp? It is the bacon of the sea!

i wonder how they would do with fly larvae.

that seems to be a favorite for a lot of animals.

and they're easy to make !

i'm about to feed my chickens a few pounds of Maggots for their morning feed.