PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine Illusion – New book by Ph.D. in immunology

lapis
1st April 2012, 12:30 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/vaccineillusion/introduction

Introduction

I know of many alternative health practitioners and even of a few pediatricians who have embraced the non-vaccination approach to health. However, I have yet to encounter one among my own kind: a scientist in the trenches of mainstream biomedical research who does not regard vaccines as the greatest invention of medicine.

I never imagined myself in this position, least so in the very beginning of my Ph.D. research training in immunology. In fact, at that time, I was very enthusiastic about the concept of vaccination, just like any typical immunologist. However, after years of doing research in immunology, observing scientific activities of my superiors, and analyzing vaccine issues, I realized that vaccination is one of the most deceptive inventions the science could ever convince the world to accept.

As we hear more and more about vaccine injuries, many individuals are starting to view vaccination as a necessary evil that has helped us initially to overcome raging epidemics but now causes more damage than benefit to our children.

As an immunologist, I have a different and perhaps a very unique perspective. I have realized that the invention of vaccination in the 18th century has precluded us from seeking to understand what naturally acquired immunity to diseases really is. Had we pursued a different route in the absence of that shortcut, we could have gained a thorough understanding of naturally acquired immunity and developed a truly effective and safe method of disease prevention compared to what vaccines can possibly offer.

The biological term immunity refers to a universally observed phenomenon of becoming unsusceptible to a number of infectious diseases through prior experience. Because of the phonetic similarity between the words immunology and immunity, it is tempting to assume that immunology is a science that studies the state of immunity, but this is not the case.

Immunology is a science that studies an artificial process of immunization - i.e., the immune system’s response to injected foreign matter. Immunology does not attempt to study and therefore cannot provide understanding of natural diseases and immunity that follows them. Yet, the “knowledge” about the function of the immune system during the natural process of disease is recklessly inferred from contrived immunologic experiments, which typically consist of injecting laboratory-grown microorganisms (live or dead) or their isolated parts into research animals to represent the state of infection.

Because immunologic experiments are unrealistic simulations of the natural process, immunologists’ understanding of nature is limited to understanding their own experimental models.

Immunologists have confined the scope of their knowledge to the box of experimental modeling, and they do not wish to see beyond that box. Thinking within the box only reinforces the notion of vaccination and cannot provide any other solution to the problem of diseases.

Despite the fact that the biological basis of naturally acquired immunity is not understood, present day medical practices insist upon artificial manipulation of the immune response (a.k.a. immunization or vaccination) to secure “immunity” without going through the actual disease process. The vaccine-induced process, although not resembling a natural disease, is nevertheless still a disease process with its own risks. And it is not immunity that we gain via vaccination but a puny surrogate of immunity. For this reason, vaccination at its core is neither a safe nor an effective method of disease prevention. Yet, immunologists have nothing better to offer because they can only go as far as their deeply rooted immunologic dogma allows them.

Three important factors have contributed to my gradual disillusionment with immunologic paradigms and their applications - vaccines. First, several significant inconsistencies within immunologic theory made me quite unsatisfied with its attempted explanation of immunity. Second, I observed how some seasoned immunologists would omit mentioning the outcome of crucial experiments to make their publication on new vaccine development strategies look very promising. This made me suspicious about the vaccine development process in general and eager to take a look at the other side of the vaccination debate.

The third factor was the birth of my child. This event compelled me to take a break from laboratory research for a few years. I completely shed my identity of an immunologist and became a parent determined to raise a healthy child. I was amazed at how clueless I was about what really matters for health despite my proficiency in all those fancy immunologic theories amassed in the Ivory Tower. For the sake of my child, I had to reconsider everything I knew in immunology. I searched deeper and deeper for the root of vaccine problems we face today and it all came back to me in clear light.

This book is intended to give parents essential immunologic background for making vaccination decisions for their children. Making vaccination decisions is an important personal responsibility that should not be left to any medical or scientific authority. Parents should educate themselves about vaccines and diseases to the extent that they feel absolutely confident and well prepared for taking full responsibility for the consequences of their decisions.

It is important to estimate risks of vaccine injuries versus risks of exposure to vaccine-targeted microorganisms. But the analysis should not stop there. I urge every parent to consider how vaccines achieve their effects, and if the desired vaccine effects truly benefit our children and our society. The implications of vaccination were not acceptable to me, neither as a parent nor as a scientist, and this book is my effort to tell other parents why.

Another goal of this book is to raise awareness in our society about the urgent necessity to change basic immunologic research in a way that will finally bring us understanding of naturally acquired immunity. It is up to future generations of immunologists to rescue this science and put it on the right track. The benefits for humankind will be enormous, as this would make both vaccine injuries and fear of diseases a matter of the past. But to make this happen, the field of immunology must first be cleared from the weeds of immunologic dogma.

And finally, this book is my attempt to heal the schism in our society between those who oppose vaccines due to vaccine safety concerns and those who oppose the anti-vaccine movement due to the fear of diseases. This schism has brought us enormous suffering by dividing families, friends, and health provider communities. But we all have the same goal: we all want the best for our children. Only by uniting our efforts will we be able to find a solution to the problem of diseases without compromising our health by means of vaccines.

Tetyana Obukhanych
Menlo Park, CA

lapis
1st April 2012, 12:40 AM
Chapter 9

The Vaccine Paradox

We have so far examined how vaccines manipulate the immune system to achieve temporary protection from viral diseases. It is now time to examine how natural immunity to viral diseases works in the population and how vaccination eliminates natural immunity and interferes with maternal immuno-protection of infants.

The immune system of infants is immature and not capable of effectively dealing with natural viruses or even with artificially attenuated vaccine viruses. Naturally immune mothers - i.e., those who had viral diseases during their own childhood - protect their babies from those diseases by passive transfer of their immunity via the placenta during pregnancy and via breast milk after birth. Immunologists believe that passive immunity transfer depends on virus-neutralizing antibodies in the serum and in breast milk of immune mothers. Interestingly, females of the mammalian species are capable of much higher levels of antibody production than males. This might have been an evolutionary adaptation for the need to protect their young via passive antibody transfer throughout the childbearing age.

A child’s exposure to the virus while being breastfed by a naturally immune mother would lead to an asymptomatic infection that results in life-long immunity to that virus. If exposed to the virus for the first time only after weaning, a child would experience the disease and acquire life-long immunity, too.

Many viral diseases are sometimes referred to as childhood diseases, because prior to the routine childhood vaccination, these diseases occurred mainly in children. Infants were protected from these diseases by maternal immunity, whereas adults were protected by their own life-long immunity, which they had acquired in the childhood. The use of vaccines changed this pattern.

Unlike natural exposure to viruses that happens via mucosal surfaces, most of the live attenuated or inactivated viral vaccines are delivered by injection. This route of exposure induces serum antibodies but not the mucosal antibodies. Since only the mucosal exposure contributes to the production of antibodies in the mammary gland, vaccinated mothers lack the ability to transfer vaccine-induced antibodies to their infants by breastfeeding.

Furthermore, vaccinated mothers have lower levels of virus-specific antibodies in the serum compared to naturally immune mothers. Therefore vaccinated mothers transfer fewer, if any, protective antibodies to the fetus via the placenta than naturally immune mothers. For these reasons, an increased risk for measles had been observed in infants born to vaccinated compared to naturally immune mothers in the early 1990s, when measles was still endemic in the US (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10545585).

Acquiring measles in infancy is a risk factor for developing a fatal measles infection of the brain called subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE). The frequency of SSPE in the US was much higher in the early 1990s (about 12 cases of SSPE linked to the outbreak of measles involving only 55,622 cases) compared to the 1960-70s, when 8.5 cases of SSPE per 1,000,000 cases of measles occurred (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16235165). This 25-fold increase in the frequency of SSPE can be explained by an increased likelihood for infants to contract measles in the early 1990s compared to previous decades due to the lack of maternal immuno-protection. The absence of maternal immuno-protection can in turn be attributed to the vaccination of mothers in their childhood. In the US, routine childhood vaccination against measles started in early 1960s. Vaccination took away the chance of many mothers-to-be to experience measles at a safe age and to acquire natural immunity that would protect their babies as well.

The persistent use of the MMR vaccine has deprived a generation of mothers and their infants of natural immunity to the corresponding viral diseases. The vaccine itself cannot be used to protect infants, because it is dangerous and futile to inject live attenuated viruses at a very young age. Let us ask vaccination officials: what now? What solution do they have now up their sleeve?

Although measles, mumps, and rubella are no longer endemic in the US, there is a chance of contracting these diseases when traveling to countries where they are still common. It is therefore prudent for mothers without natural immunity to these diseases to avoid traveling to such countries during pregnancy or with infants until they are older than two and fully capable of withstanding childhood diseases without developing complications. In addition, measles, mumps, or rubella immunoglobulin (but not the vaccine itself) can provide immediate short-term protection after viral exposure has already happened.

Live attenuated viral vaccines reduce the overall incidence of the corresponding viral diseases by making our bodies off-limits to wild viruses for three to five years after vaccination. Viruses are molecular parasites that cannot survive without access to the host.

By limiting their habitat (i.e., the number of susceptible human hosts), vaccines turn viruses into endangered species. But vaccines alone are not efficient at viral eradication. Without strict quarantine measures, vaccination campaigns tend to stretch over many decades and span several generations. They prevent the majority of the human population from developing natural immunity without achieving complete eradication of the virus by the time a generation of babies without natural maternal immunity is born. In well nourished societies, measles, mumps, and rubella were mild childhood diseases in the not-so-distant past. But they are now diseases to be dreaded and to be referred to as a scare tactic for promoting further vaccination. And for a good reason, just not for the one being told! These mild childhood diseases are now dangerous, because we, humans, made them so.

What other still mild childhood disease is next in line to join the ranks of the dreaded diseases? Ah, chickenpox, of course. In the US, we have started vaccinating for the varicella (chickenpox) virus in the mid-1990s and we will soon establish a generation of mothers and their infants without natural immunity to chickenpox before complete eradication of the varicella virus is achieved. We have to stop mass vaccination against chickenpox before this happens. Otherwise, chickenpox will become a dangerous disease for the generation of our grandchildren, just like measles is today for our babies.

Disrupting the natural cycle of the mother-infant immunity transfer is a dangerous and irreversible consequence of prolonged vaccination campaigns. The risk of contracting the disease is simply pushed from childhood into adulthood, while vulnerable infants are left without any protection whatsoever. The vaccine paradox is that vaccines reduce the overall incidence of childhood diseases, yet make them infinitely more dangerous in the next generation.

We have come to accept that although vaccines may cause injury to a rare individual, they are still beneficial to the society as a whole. They are for the greater good, we are told. Are they really?

lapis
1st April 2012, 12:44 AM
Afterword

Why are we stuck with this archaic and brute force medical procedure - vaccination? Why can’t we get out of the box and start doing research that will give us a safer and more effective method?

The truth is that scientists in the US are not free to pursue research they deem important. They can only pursue research that government deems important. This system got established via funding mechanisms that come from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a federal entity that operates on taxpayers’ money. Scientific advisory committees at those Institutes decide what directions in research are to be funded. Individual scientists then have to apply for grants and match the goals of their grant proposals with the directions established by the National Institutes.

If the committees at the National Institutes have decided that it is politically incorrect to study vaccine injuries, then they will turn down any grant application that proposes to do that, no matter how well scientifically justified. If they have decided that developing new vaccines is what the world needs, then it is where the US taxpayers’ money will go, even if these particular diseases do not even occur in the US.

The salaries of biomedical researchers in the US universities and medical schools mainly come from NIH grants. Therefore, for one to make a living in science, obtaining grants is of primary importance. This means that one is restricted to doing only “bread-and-butter” research, something that is most likely to be funded.

During my postdoctoral training, I attended a seminar on successful grant writing skills. It was clearly laid out to us that grants that get the highest priority for funding are the ones that propose to investigate already available medical applications in the context of other diseases. Say, there is a drug X that is used to treat condition Y. Now, let us investigate if the same drug X is going to be useful in treating condition Z. This way, biomedical researchers are being used as a cheap labor force for expanding markets for pharmaceutical drugs. This is our status quo.

Research that attempts to shake off the status quo and open up new directions will not be pursued by modern biomedical science in the US as long as scientists depend on and compete for the NIH funding. For this to change, we need private sponsorship of science that is radically different from the existing funding mechanisms. We have to let the Scientist, not the Bureaucrat, do the science.

If we want to nurture the science that gives us genuine understanding of natural immunity and ensures proper use of this knowledge in disease prevention, then let us put our efforts together, and as a society make it happen!

About the Author

Dr. Tetyana Obukhanych earned her Ph.D. in immunology from the Rockefeller University, New York, NY and has done postdoctoral research at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA. After a few years of career break devoted to birthing and caring for her young child, she resumed her postdoctoral research at Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA. She is an educator on natural immunity and vaccines in her local birth community.

Twisted Titan
1st April 2012, 01:55 AM
Research that attempts to shake off the status quo and open up new directions will not be pursued by modern biomedical science in the US as long as scientists depend on and compete for the NIH funding. For this to change, we need private sponsorship of science that is radically different from the existing funding mechanisms. We have to let the Scientist, not the Bureaucrat, do the science.

You need neither.

If you understand the simple concept of Hard currency and coin, you need not beg anyone for anything. You can work on you passions because you are SELF FUNDED and therefore SELF MADE.

The study of money is the single most important study there is