PDA

View Full Version : techie help here...

JDRock
17th April 2012, 08:51 AM
..alright,i admit it, im computer ILLITERATE! ( sobs into a kleenex while the group says "i was too")
anyway,i have a bunch of music on analog cd that i want to be able to put a link up...fb and here and other sites ..
but, the advise i get sounds like; dude convert it to a wave file and and blah blah blah...OR, "DUDE post it on you tube..." well DUDE i havent a clue how this arcane ritual is performed! i mean i need somone to dumb it down to the simple...REALLY simple, like; step 1 turn your computer on... and so forth i mean i dont even know what cut and paste is !.... if anyone can help id appreciate it thanx.

gunDriller
17th April 2012, 09:36 AM
..alright,i admit it, im computer ILLITERATE! ( sobs into a kleenex while the group says "i was too")
anyway,i have a bunch of music on analog cd that i want to be able to put a link up...fb and here and other sites ..
but, the advise i get sounds like; dude convert it to a wave file and and blah blah blah...OR, "DUDE post it on you tube..." well DUDE i havent a clue how this arcane ritual is performed! i mean i need somone to dumb it down to the simple...REALLY simple, like; step 1 turn your computer on... and so forth i mean i dont even know what cut and paste is !.... if anyone can help id appreciate it thanx.

you need a program like Sony Vegas 2006 that will help make it simple.

in my 6 year old version of Sony Vegas, i can drag an audio track to the "audio" place in the program.

then do a "File Save As" - and choose *.wav or *.mp3 as the file format.

away it goes, job done.

i did this with some ZZTop and some Stones. works good !

vacuum
17th April 2012, 09:56 AM
Here's some info on how to use windows media player to rip a cd:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Rip-music-from-a-CD

I'm not sure how up-to-date your windows media player is.

JDRock
17th April 2012, 10:04 AM
can rip cd's i just cant make it "go" anywhere.... g-driller thats WAY beyond my skills....

osoab
17th April 2012, 10:08 AM
can rip cd's i just cant make it "go" anywhere.... g-driller thats WAY beyond my skills....

You want to upload them to a site then post a link to the mp3 correct?

Too bad MegaUpload got shut down.

chad
17th April 2012, 10:09 AM
http://spotmeup.com/

SLV^GLD
17th April 2012, 10:44 AM
Just an FYI, compact discs store music in digital format, not analog as you suggest.

JDRock
17th April 2012, 11:45 AM
dunno, i recorded thru an analog mixer to a stand alone tascam cd recorder. thanx for your help but i fear you underestimate my stupidity...upload? you might as well ask me to recite early greek history...;p

Libertytree
17th April 2012, 11:54 AM
dunno, i recorded thru an analog mixer to a stand alone tascam cd recorder. thanx for your help but i fear you underestimate my stupidity...upload? you might as well ask me to recite early greek history...;p

Question...How does your Tascam identify the files you record, how does it read if you put the CD into your computer?

osoab
17th April 2012, 11:59 AM

Question...How does your Tascam identify the files you record, how does it read if you put the CD into your computer?

To add further, right click on the file and "Properties" to see if it has a .wav, .exe, etc extension.

JDRock
17th April 2012, 12:00 PM
it reads it,as i can put my songs on my itunes folder.

osoab
17th April 2012, 12:00 PM
Would this site work for you JD?

http://yourlisten.com/

JDRock
17th April 2012, 12:02 PM
Would this site work for you JD?

http://yourlisten.com/
ill try when i get hom! i got a !@#$% load of recording to do and i have peeps asking me to post it on fb and a few here also (you know who you are)

Libertytree
17th April 2012, 12:04 PM
Keep us posted, I might have a couple idea's for ya.

Gaillo
17th April 2012, 12:15 PM
JDRock,

One thing you need to be aware of is that .wav files ripped from a CD are HUGE - they will take forever to upload and download, and very few people will likely bother listening to them for that reason.

You really NEED to convert them to .mp3 or .m4a or some other compressed audio format if you intend to share them on a website.

SLV^GLD
17th April 2012, 12:16 PM
When you play an audio source into a CD recorder there is a Analag-to-Digital conversion that takes place. your Tascam unit performs this conversion.

The information on the CD is a digitized version of the original analog source. The digital information on the CD is formatted so that it is playable in standard CD players. This standard is called Red Book Audio and has been around since the conception of the compact disk format.

When you copy the digital information from the CD to your computer you generally do not create a file on the computer that is a 100% exact duplication of all of the formatting on the CD unless you are creating a disk image (e.g. ISO) which purpose is primarily to be able to recreate the disk using a CD burner. You typically are going to use some program or another to extract the digital music information sans Red Book formatting into what is called Wavetable information. Wavetable (.WAV) is the fully unadulterated, uncompressed digital audio information that is encapsulated for CD player playback in Red Book audio formatting.

With this information you can go any direction you please. Wavetable files take up a maximum amount of space for each second of play time in the music. If you were to load this information into a CD burning program and create an audio CD with it the program would just be re encapsulating the Wavetable information back into Red Book format and placing it onto the CD.

However, if you intend to store a large number of audio files, to distribute these files online or try to fit many of these files onto a portable music playing device such as an Ipod you would be probably be interested in compressing the information in some manner so that such much file size space was not being taken up by uncompressed Wavetable information. The options for compression are almost unlimited. Most compression options are going to be what are termed "lossy" in that some degree of fidelity is discarded in the interests of saving file size space. MP3 is such a lossy format. Once compressed and the original Wavetable information deleted some amount of fidelity is permanently lost. The degree of lossiness can be controlled through the encoding program used to perform the compression. The information being discarded begins at the upper and lower ends of the frequency spectrum so that lost information is largely inaudible to begin with. As more and more information is discarded in the interests of a smaller filesize the more audible the loss becomes. If the source to be compressed is a speaker such as an audiobook then a great deal more compression can take place before the monotonous voice is audibly distorted. For a full range sound with high contrasts in sounds such as a classical piece not much compression (if any) is required for noticeable degradation in quality.

There are lossless compression options available notably the FLAC, APE and SHN formats. The trouble here is that very few devices natively support playback of these formats. All computers can be made to play them back using the appropriate, downloadable and free codec (compressor/decompressor). the thing to understand about lossless compression is that smaller filesizes can be obtained without losing the ability to always decompress back to the original Wavetable information which can be converted to any other format from there.

The best software I am aware of for manipulating digital audio files especially with regards to extracting the information from CDs is Exact Audio Copy (EAC). Unfortunately it is not novice software and can be confusing for even seasoned audio file geeks. Regardless of the software you choose to manipulate the information you are going to end up with a file that you want to send to a portable device or to an online repository. Knowing more about the final destination you intend would help us make suggestions as to the most appropriate and user friendly software for the purpose.

JDRock
17th April 2012, 12:21 PM
hubbbadda hubbbbadda......this is hopeless......yet every 7th grader is on you tube!

SLV^GLD
17th April 2012, 12:23 PM
My 1st inclination was to tell you to find a 7th grader to do it for you.

Gaillo
17th April 2012, 12:26 PM
hubbbadda hubbbbadda......this is hopeless......yet every 7th grader is on you tube!

Not hopeless, buddy... just a learning curve.

Basically, it requires 3 steps:

1 - Rip the audio from the CD to a file on your computer (usually a .wav file)
2 - Convert the file to a compressed audio file (.mp3 usually)
3 - Upload the compressed (.mp3) file to the website

Sometimes, depending on the software you are using, steps 1 and 2 can be accomplished in the same step.

chad
17th April 2012, 12:32 PM
or you could rip your cds, get a network ready hard drive, upload all of your music to it, set it as read only, and attach it to a server/hand out the ip address.

sorry, smartass mode ;)

Libertytree
17th April 2012, 12:38 PM
or you could rip your cds, get a network ready hard drive, upload all of your music to it, set it as read only, and attach it to a server/hand out the ip address.

sorry, smartass mode ;)

Bad Chad..shame shame....lol

iOWNme
17th April 2012, 12:38 PM
My itunes for Mac will convert any file already in itunes to an Mp3.....Look for this option in your windows version.

Glass
17th April 2012, 03:03 PM
freerip mp3 is good. Simple to use. easy to find web site.

I'm actually looking for something that goes the other way. Something that takes mp3 and makes audio CD. Haven't found anything that works yet.

Libertytree
17th April 2012, 03:46 PM
freerip mp3 is good. Simple to use. easy to find web site.

I'm actually looking for something that goes the other way. Something that takes mp3 and makes audio CD. Haven't found anything that works yet.

Have you looked into Roxio Toast?

Shami-Amourae
17th April 2012, 04:17 PM
Search for the music on YouTube. Almost all songs ever recorded have been uploaded by someone on YouTube. You can also convert the sound of a YouTube video into an MP3. This is the easiest solution IMO

Here's a few websites that do this:

http://www.video2mp3.net/
http://www.flvto.com/
http://www.youtube-mp3.org/

iOWNme
17th April 2012, 04:41 PM
My itunes for Mac will convert any file already in itunes to an Mp3.....Look for this option in your windows version.

On my Mac i select the track in my library then i go to:

Advanced > Create Mp3 version

It then creates an Mp3 version of that same song right underneath the original song in your library. You can also edit what type of file to convert to, it can be Mp4, M4a, etc or custom settings. Its that simple.

Bigjon
17th April 2012, 05:39 PM

Here you go... a self-help site.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

I use Goldwave (http://www.goldwave.com/faq.php#cdsupport) and Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/) to convert and edit audio files

To burn disks I use Imagburn (http://www.imgburn.com/)

gunDriller
18th April 2012, 07:22 AM

it's honestly not any more involved than sending an email with an attachment.

sometimes it's not obvious how simple some computer thing is, until someone shows you.

generally, i find that "pulling down menu's and swearing" can produce results.

osoab
18th April 2012, 08:06 AM
it's honestly not any more involved than sending an email with an attachment.

sometimes it's not obvious how simple some computer thing is, until someone shows you.

generally, i find that "pulling down menu's and swearing" can produce results.

Sledge hammers give you one time results too. :o

JDRock
20th April 2012, 06:23 AM
thanx for all your help, im trying to post a gsus doom song but i have to wait another week i cant record today, too much shiiite going on.