PDA

View Full Version : In remembrance of Patriots' Day

Libertytree
19th April 2012, 09:19 AM
April 19th is Patriots' Day, the day that the men and women of Lexington and Concord, farmers and shopkeepers dared to stand up against the most powerful military in the world.

I hold this as a special day personally, it's mostly just observed in New England but IMHO I think it deserves higher consideration. What those folks did took a whole lot of guts and bravery and I salute them all.

.................................................. .................................................. ........

The year is 1775. Unrest has been growing in the colonies. The Boston Massacre that took place just five years earlier is fresh in the memories of many. The protests regarding taxation reached a new height in the form of the Boston Tea Party. Colonists are clamoring for the right to run their own affairs, some going as far as to call for independence from the mother country. The stage is set for an historic conflict.

The Crown decides to put a stop to this. Early in the morning of April 19, 1775, a long column of Regulars starts its march to Concord. Their orders are to destroy muskets, powder, cannon, and other provisions being stockpiled by the rebels on Colonel James Barrett's farm.

The column approaches Lexington as dawn rises to find the militia formed up on the town green. Their goal is not to engage the troops, but to show defiance to the Crown. The British officers are indignant at their risky move and order them to lay down their arms and disperse. Most men disperse. Some do not hear the order and stand fast. None lay down their arms. Suddenly a shot rings out, discipline breaks down, and more shots are fired. When the smoke clears, two militiamen are found shot dead, several more are wounded. The column marches on to Concord.

A few hours later, the Regulars enter Concord. A detachment is sent to secure the North Bridge. The militia had already formed up on the far side of the Bridge, consisting of men not just from Concord, but many nearby towns who had come to defend their homes and lives. Smoke rises from the center of Concord. The militia believes the Regulars are out to burn down the town. The order comes to load their muskets. The men advance towards the Bridge in fine order to the astonishment of the Regulars. The rebels were advancing on the British army! Retreating off the Bridge, the Regulars form into firing positions. As in Lexington, a shot rings out. The Regulars fire. Militiamen fall but they continue their advance. Then the order is given to the militia: "Fire, fellow soldiers, for God's sake fire!". The American Revolution has begun.

iOWNme
19th April 2012, 09:31 AM
This says its not the 19th, but the 3rd Monday in April?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots%27_Day

Either way, the time when great men would set aside their own personal lives in order to come together and defeat a criminal group of thugs who think they can do anything they want, has passed us by.

If a 2nd Civil War did start, it wouldnt be 1/2 of the country vs the other half. It would be 2-3% vs the other 97%. And history has already told us who is going to win.

Libertytree
19th April 2012, 09:41 AM
This says its not the 19th, but the 3rd Monday in April?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots%27_Day

Either way, the time when great men would set aside their own personal lives in order to come together and defeat a criminal group of thugs who think they can do anything they want, has passed us by.

If a 2nd Civil War did start, it wouldnt be 1/2 of the country vs the other half. It would be 2-3% vs the other 97%. And history has already told us who is going to win.

Initially it was on the 19th, the day of the battle of Lexington and Concord but in 1969 it was turned into the 3rd Monday in order to have a 3 day weekend with a lot of re-enactments, parades et...

I don't know what the future holds although I'll admit it does look more than a little bleak and discouraging but I won't let that diminish the reverence due to the many people in our country's early history that did have the nerve to stand and fight.

Edit to add...And to die.

Heimdhal
19th April 2012, 10:00 AM
Isaac Davis was the man that gave the order.

An interesting tid bit about Isaac Davis.

At the time, most militia/minutemen would carry their muzzleloader, maybe 20 rounds worth of powder and ball and that was about it. Bayonets were almost unheard of as most had to be custom fit to the musket, and they were expensive. No powder was produced in North America at the time, so it too came at a premium.

Davis was a local gunsmith/blacksmith. It was a good trade at the time. He certainly wasnt rich by any means. Married with some 4-5 children, he personaly took it upon himself as the ELECTED commander of the Acton militia to train and equip his minutement. He mustered his militia up to 5 days a week and practiced loading and firing drills with them. Over and over and over he did this, behind his shop in town no less.

British tactics at the time were actualy centered around the bayonet, and NOT the musket. The muskets were generaly fired 2-3 volleys to tear up the enemy lines before a bayonet charge, which was the deciding factor. This was standard military doctrine at the time and the British were brutally efficient in its execution.

Now, the Regulars, all uniformed in their red coats, bright polished bayonets hanging off their muzzles are face to face with a rag tag group of colonial milita hell bent on defending the North Birdge and their town. They open fire, without orders, and tear into the militia. The militia are confused and disoriented, until the call comes

"Fire, fellow soldiers, for gods sake fire!" Its the first "official" order given to the American troops of the revolution. The Americans are officialy on the offense, ripping the lines of regulars to pieces. See, Americans didnt fuck around with their guns, they used them every single day and they knew how to use them well.

The brawl at the bridge was over in less than 2 minutes. The Regulars routed from the field, the first "loss" of the war. This destroyed moral, because the british were not used to being routed, not by farmers and black smiths.

Isaac Davis was killed in the return fire during the battle, a british musket ball had flown through his heart. He was the first Officer to die during the revolution.

DMac
19th April 2012, 10:07 AM
There are fates worse than death.

I love reading these stories. They inspire me to be a better man.

Down1
19th April 2012, 12:03 PM
Payroll Patriots Day is one of the most holy days of the year.
Today used to mean something I think. Now it is just used for imperial propaganda purposes.

Heimdhal
19th April 2012, 12:05 PM
To expand on this more, about officers and orders, violent and non-violent resistence and to who actualy fired that "first" shot

The alarm that the Regulars were coming had begun to be raised in the late evening of the 18th, when spies and alarmsmen in Boston began their jobs. This is where Rever and his companions embarked through the harbor to warn the countryside.

John Parker was the elected officer of the Lexington Militia. He first got the warning in the VERY early hours of the 19th (2 A.M) and roused his militia. Over 100 showed up. They set upon the parade grounds of Lexington and waited for a few hours. THey didnt know the Regulars were tied up fighting their way through a swamp they had chosen as their landing zone.

So, after a few hours of waiting they said "screw it, the riders were wrong" and Parker sent out two scouts just to double check, then told his men to "disperse but stay within earshot of the muster alarm" (which was just a couple musket shots into the air). Many went home, execpt about 70 "minute men" who went to the local tavern to get drunk until morning, when they would go home.

ANyways, long story short, a scout returns and say "OMG, They're like 3 miles away, GTFO!" Parker says "F- that noise" and rauses his 70 or so, slightly inhebriated men and puts his men on the common in parade formation. He gives the EXPLICIT order, which is very important to "NOT fire unless fired upon. If they mean to have war, then let it be here".

What does this say about the first confrontation on the 19th. Well, the militia were standing off the side of the road. They were in a cerimonial formation, not a fighting formation. They were armed, but it was a NON VIOLENT political protest. They never made an attempt to stop the Regulars, they never spoke a word to the regulars.

The Regulars roll up in the early morning, about 7, and decide "hey, this is an 'illegal' gathering" and British Officer Pitcarin rides up on them with his horse, saber in hand and orders the colonials to "lay down your arms you damned rebels."

THere was lots of noise and confusion and Parker suffered from advanced TB. His voice didnt carry well. He told his men to disperse, but they stood resolute either not hearing him or chosing not to go. Mind you, of the 70 or so there, about 80% of them were closley related to one another.

Remember before where I said the bayonet was the main weapon. Well, somewhere in the crowd, a shot went off, and the british instantly (as Cops seem to do) opened a ragged volley of fire and charged in with their bayonets. Eight militamen were killed as they routed and ran away, trying to fire and run as fas as they could. The regulars suffered only one casualty, a minorly wounded soldier who got knicked in the arm.

There were 5 sets of brothers and 5 sets of fathers/sons on that field. Many of them would be seperated by death.

The order of "dont fire unless fired upon" was given by every officer through the morning of the 19th. Everytime, the british broke away from their chain of command and attacked. Most british officers, who had nothing but contempt for the militia, insisted that their troops NOT fire unless fired upon as well. So sure were they that
A) The milita was NO threat whatsoever, and would be so scared of the uniforms they would turn tail and run if they but half unsheathed their swords (actual words of Pitcarin)
and
B) If the milita were to figh,t they would be quickly destroyed by such trained troops

that most regulars disembarked with only one flask of water and 30 rounds of ammunition.

That will play a key part in the story to come................

Sparky
19th April 2012, 12:49 PM
For context, here's a map showing the geographical layout of what transpired that day. Minuteman National Park provides free guided tours in Lexington/Concord along the route to the Old North Bridge. It's quite a piece of history.

http://storiesofusa.com/images/battle-of-lexington-concord-1775.jpg

Libertytree
19th April 2012, 12:57 PM
The map is helpful but what it doesn't convey is that the Americans pursued the British almost back to Charlestown, picking them off from behind trees, fences etc. They'd never been fought like that and got their asses handed to'em.

Sparky
19th April 2012, 01:13 PM
The map is helpful but what it doesn't convey is that the Americans pursued the British almost back to Charlestown, picking them off from behind trees, fences etc. They'd never been fought like that and got their asses handed to'em.

Most definitely, LT. The siege from the woods went on relentlessly for miles. The British soldiers were taught to fight in formation, emblazoned in their bright red coats.

http://ushistoryimages.com/images/battle-of-lexington/fullsize/battle-of-lexington-4.jpg

Sparky
19th April 2012, 01:26 PM
Old North Bridge in Concord, MA where the minutemen stopped the British advance.

http://bolstablog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/old-north-bridge.jpg

Sparky
19th April 2012, 01:31 PM
Minuteman John Parker statue at the Battle Green in Lexington, MA.

http://images.travelpod.com/users/dblegldave/2.1304031523.the-minuteman-statue-in-lexington.jpg

JJ.G0ldD0t
19th April 2012, 01:35 PM
Most definitely, LT. The siege from the woods went on relentlessly for miles. The British soldiers were taught to fight in formation, emblazoned in their bright red coats.

And the redcoats looked upon such tactics as the modern American soldier does the IED.

Such is the evolving nature of war.

JJ.G0ldD0t
19th April 2012, 01:37 PM
Minuteman John Parker statue at the Battle Green in Lexington, MA.

Whew... his eyes look ok.

Heimdhal
19th April 2012, 01:38 PM
That tactic was coined the "circle of fire" whereupon the militamen, would quite literaly encompass and circle the routing regulars. This circle was massive in its diameter, miles at times. This way they ensured that no more than 100 or so militimen were ever exposed to british fire at any one time, while allowing every man the ability to fire at the entirety of the british column.

Hours after the men went off to "show force" their wives realized "hey, they're gonna be gone a while" and started prepparing supplies for their husbands. They would bundle up extra powder horns, shot, food and water and send their children (ages ranging fomr 9-15) to ride forward and resupply the men. They were instructed to find their fathers, but by the time they actualy got to the battlegrounds, the children realized it was an all out battle and started just giving supplies to whomever needed them the most. Everyman was continuously re-supplied in the rear of the "circle" as he was coming around to re-enter the fight. The children, on horseback, stayed relativley safley out of the fray while they went back and forth from battlefield to houses along the way fetching more supplies.

This circle of fire continued all the way to about a mile outside of Charlestown, where the british and reinforced the hill with a fresh 1,000 men and two light field cannon, which effectivley ended the fight.

The circle tactic was adopted by a gentleman (whos name escapes me at the moment) who was a higher ranking militia officer, but was otherwise just an "average" gentleman (well off, but not exceedingly so, still a 'proper' fellow). In the years leading up to the battle, he had took it upon himself to study every facet of modern and ancient military history. He passed himself of as a Torry (crown supporter) and gained acccess the dinner table of many an enlisted man and officer in the kings army, often buying drinks at the tavern for the soldiers. There he would pick their brains, asking them all manner of tactical questions like:

"If an enemy column is routing along a confined road, what is the best way to surround and destroy them...." Guess what the answer was.

The Circle of Fire was bruttally effective. It was, however, nothing new, having been employed by horse arches and skirmishers for thousands of years. For horse archers, it was called the Catabrian Circle (circulus cantabricus to the Romans). It was developed and perfected by nomads in the Asian and European Steppes.

Mobility and a refusal to fight by the Kings rules of battle are what gave the colonials their victory. It was however, almost an accident. Officers of all types considered them selves "Gentlemen" and war was a gentlemans game where lines were formed, blows exchanged and ground won or lost by routing the enemy from the field (not their destruction).

The colonials DID in fact stand in battle formations int he begining, but in the chaos and rapid retreat of the british they had almost no choice BUT to fight a running battle and they excelled. Many were veterans of the French and Indian wars and knew these tactics well. They would remain common until the second or so year of the war, when Washington put the kabosh on this tactic of the miltia and forced men to fight in standard european battle lines. He lost nearly every battle for the entire first half of the war because of this..............

Americans fight dirty.... because if its worth fighting for, its worth fighting dirty for, or dont fight at all.

Libertytree
19th April 2012, 03:10 PM
Excerpts from
Paul Revere's Ride (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195098315/ref=rdr_ext_tmb)
by David Hackett Fischer (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=rdr_ext_aut?_encoding=UTF8&index=books&field-author=David%20Hackett%20Fischer)

One of my favorite books.

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-David-Hackett-Fischer/dp/0195098315#reader_0195098315

Twisted Titan
19th April 2012, 08:09 PM
The Time of Men and Women with Backbone will soon be once again upon us.

General of Darkness
19th April 2012, 08:26 PM
I find it odd that this day is also Holohoax day. Someone posted it on the forum, and I looked at my calender that is some company provided shit, and I immediately crossed it out. And low an behold, today is Patriot day and lying fucking kike day. While crazy, I personally would say that it's intentional.

Down1
20th April 2012, 03:37 AM
I find it odd that this day is also Holohoax day. Someone posted it on the forum, and I looked at my calender that is some company provided shit, and I immediately crossed it out. And low an behold, today is Patriot day and lying fucking kike day. While crazy, I personally would say that it's intentional.
Good catch General !
Only patriots Day is printed on my calendar.
I would agree, it's most likely intentional.

Some quick research indicates this date is not needed. Allegedly for the liberation of Auschwitz, but that occurred in Jan. Maybe the Warsaw uprising. Even though that started in Jan.
Nothing hardcore here.
As always it appears the Goy will eat whatever slop that is thrown at them.

General of Darkness
20th April 2012, 07:24 AM
Good catch General !
Only patriots Day is printed on my calendar.
I would agree, it's most likely intentional.

Some quick research indicates this date is not needed. Allegedly for the liberation of Auschwitz, but that occurred in Jan. Maybe the Warsaw uprising. Even though that started in Jan.
Nothing hardcore here.
As always it appears the Goy will eat whatever slop that is thrown at them.

Yeah exactly. Maybe yesterday was the day they reduced the number from 4 million didn't get holohoaxed to 1.5 million. I'll have to look it up.