PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Gold ripoff artist.

Camp Bassfish
27th April 2012, 11:42 AM
ALBANY — A gold buyer once accused of chasing a man he believed was cheating him down Central Avenue with a loaded shotgun is facing up to $70,000 in fines for using illegal scales and refusing county officials access to inspect them, authorities said.

But David J. Brown, the owner of Capital Ca$h for Gold on Central Avenue, said the county's claims are bogus and based on the assumption that he buys the jewelry solely based on its weight, which he said is just one of many factors.

Brown is not charged with any crime but is accused of a civil violation of state Agriculture and Markets Law after a sting by sheriff's investigators and inspectors from Albany County's Office of Weights and Measures.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/County-Gold-buyer-faces-fine-for-illegal-scales-3515576.php#ixzz1tGetB6RN

gunDriller
27th April 2012, 12:05 PM
it's definitely important to be aware of.

even 'legit' scales will skew in favor of the scrap metal dealer.

i've taken 2 pounds 14 ounces of copper or brass to a dealer and they will call it 2 pounds. i've learned to weigh my lots at home or using the post office scale so i know what i'm going in with.

it doesn't matter as much on a bigger lot - e.g. 13 pounds vs. 14 pounds - but on a smaller lot, heck one extra pound is 50% - and if they're paying $2.70 a pound - well heck it mounts up.

in one case the guy who does the weighing was 'on my side'. he threw his leather gloves on the scale to 'push it over', on a small lot of copper. i had always treated him & his co-workers with respect.

also i gave 2 different dealer's staffs magnets for Christmas since they're always looking for a magnet when they need to test for ferrous.

also i let one of the guys have a box of brand new Christmas lights, it was in the pile of wire by mistake and he wanted them for his home.

long story short, it pays to be nice to the guys that do the weighing and to learn the details of their scale so you can make it "work for you". whether it's a PM dealer or an industrial metal dealer.

undgrd
27th April 2012, 12:07 PM
Would have been fine if he just low balled the offer like the rest of them.

Cebu_4_2
27th April 2012, 12:27 PM
The closest buyer here will give $11.00 for a silver morgan and $22.00 for a .999 silver round. I politely asked "are you serious?" after he checked the daily price. He said "yes, that's what they are going for". I picked up my samples and politely told him to go fuck himself. He did not have a response.

Twisted Titan
27th April 2012, 01:32 PM
The saddest thing of all is a good many people would have taken that " deal" and been happy about it.

If I had working capital I would be a bigtime net buyer of gold and silver right now

Cebu_4_2
27th April 2012, 02:44 PM
the saddest thing of all is a good many people wpuld have taken.that " deal" and been happy about it.

I was talking with a 90+ year old woman that works at the local grocery who said she sold some old silver coins to the place and had a bad feeling that he wasn't honest with her. I told her I would check it out and report back, she said that she felt sick when I told her he is paying about 1/3 what it's worth. I feel bad but there's a funny thing about living in a small town where almost everyone knows your name... The lady said that she would get in touch with me if she needed to cash anything in.

StreetsOfGold
27th April 2012, 04:24 PM
Proverbs 11:1 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th April 2012, 10:48 AM
You shall not keep in your bag false weights and measures, eh SoG?

Twisted Titan
28th April 2012, 12:00 PM
I was talking with a 90+ year old woman that works at the local grocery who said she sold some old silver coins to the place and had a bad feeling that he wasn't honest with her. I told her I would check it out and report back, she said that she felt sick when I told her he is paying about 1/3 what it's worth. I feel bad but there's a funny thing about living in a small town where almost everyone knows your name... The lady said that she would get in touch with me if she needed to cash anything in.

Their is a special place in the 9th circle of Hell for those that rip off The eldery , The young or The infirmed.

solid
28th April 2012, 12:02 PM
The closest buyer here will give $11.00 for a silver morgan and $22.00 for a .999 silver round..

I'm still waiting for this to happen to me. I would politely say that they've convinced me not to sell, but to buy. If they pay $11 for a morgan, surely they are not selling them for that much of a mark-up. $15 a morgan, I'll buy them all.

Shami-Amourae
28th April 2012, 12:17 PM
Watch this South Park episode on the Cash4Gold businesses:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s16e02-cash-for-gold

Cebu_4_2
28th April 2012, 01:49 PM
Lmao

beefsteak
28th April 2012, 05:35 PM
Their is a special place in the 9th circle of Hell for those that rip off The eldery , The young or The infirmed.

Add US Veteran to that list of yours headed for special hellish accomodations, Titan. Double the heat for ripping a disabled Veteran, young or old--makes no difference which "war!!!!!!"