PDA

View Full Version : interesting conversation i just had with CC company per PMs

chad
17th May 2012, 08:00 AM
i was just trying to order 2 10 ounce bars from apmex. nothing big.

credit card came back as declined during checkout. i have a zero balance on it, so something is up.

call customer service. this is where it gets interesting.

the fraud department lady tells me that they have seen a surge recently in large purchases from card holders at certain precious metals companies (didn't name them). she told me that any time they see a surge in purchasing in certain sectors, they automatically flag them as suspicious.

this tells me that massive purchasing must be happening. good news! :)

sirgonzo420
17th May 2012, 08:04 AM

credit card came back as declined during checkout. i have a zero balance on it, so something is up.

the fraud department lady tells me that they have seen a surge recently in large purchases from card holders at certain precious metals companies (didn't name them). she told me that any time they see a surge in purchasing in certain sectors, they automatically flag them as suspicious.

You should try to buy ammo somewhere and see if you get a similar response.

;D

mamboni
17th May 2012, 08:07 AM

Alternatively, she may have taken a peak in your safe deposit box...

"Frog Leg Whisperer?" ;D;D;D;D;D

I'm laughing so hard I just busted my other hernia sac you dog!:o

beefsteak
17th May 2012, 08:15 AM
The CS gal prolly reads GSUS and learned about all those phoney CC Morgans discussed here ystdy. Now EVERYTHING & EVERYONE is suspicious....like TPTB didn't already think so...

Thanks for your anecdotal sharing.

beefsteak

iOWNme
17th May 2012, 08:30 AM
Its always nice when your financial instituion decides when and how you can use your credit.

About a month ago or so, i tried to make a decent size purchase using my debit. Well the company didnt do debit, ONLY credit. So i had them run my debit card (With Visa logo) as a credit purchase, and then i would just send the cash in to my CC. Well, i got the same thing Chad did, "This is a large purchase, and we dont recognize the business, so this is a RED FLAG".

They literally stopped my purchase becasue the company wasnt in their 'good company list'.

When i called my credit union it got interesting. They told me that they had NOTHING to do with the decision and that it was all Visa. When i told them i didnt consent to that, she was quite flumoxed. I told her i wanted to remove it from my account, but she told me that Visa makes the policies, not them. I told them that i got a debit card TO USE MY OWN MONEY, and they were the one's who put a 'Visa' logo on it.

She then told me that i could either cancel the card, or live with it. Even though it is my DEBIT CARD, i am forced to deal with Visa at every turn.

Lesson learned: Just go without if you are forced to use your CC in place of your debit.

(I was going to run my CC and then instantly transfer the money from my checking to the cc. So in my eyes, it wasnt a credit purchse. They wouldnt have gotten 2 minutes worth of interest from me)

Here is the kicker: My Credit Union sent me a letter last week telling me they are lowering my CC interest rate down over 3%.

Really?

Sparky
17th May 2012, 10:55 AM
Sui, at first I was upset about denial of credit purchases like this. But then I realized, it really is their credit that is being spent, so they do have the right to withold it. Of course, as a credit customer, you have the right to question their judgment and move your credit business elsewhere.

However, why are you not more upset about that the company wouldn't accept debit? Isn't debit supposed to be treated as a cash equivalent. Why was it denied?

iOWNme
17th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Sui, at first I was upset about denial of credit purchases like this. But then I realized, it really is their credit that is being spent, so they do have the right to withold it. Of course, as a credit customer, you have the right to question their judgment and move your credit business elsewhere.

However, why are you not more upset about that the company wouldn't accept debit? Isn't debit supposed to be treated as a cash equivalent. Why was it denied?

The Company i was dealing with does not sell to the general public, so they were not set up to do debit. (According to them)

I do agree with you to paint. BUT, You say it is their credit, but where did they get it? Banks are fictions that dont exist. But what does exist is the hard work and faith of the American people (me) and THAT is what creates 'credit'.

But yes, i understand that when dealing with Satan you shouldnt argue over his rules. :)

It just goes to show you that EVERYTHING is set up for your percieved 'Safety', but really is there to CONTROL your every action.

palani
17th May 2012, 02:42 PM
It just goes to show you that EVERYTHING is set up for your percieved 'Safety', but really is there to CONTROL your every action.

I presume that your name on the debit/credit card appears in all capital letters. Hobbes Leviathan chap 16 explains to some extent the significance of that ALL CAPITAL modification of your appellation. Can you say the word SURETY?

http://i50.tinypic.com/1z5u7tk.jpg

iOWNme
17th May 2012, 03:30 PM
I presume that your name on the debit/credit card appears in all capital letters. Hobbes Leviathan chap 16 explains to some extent the significance of that ALL CAPITAL modification of your appellation. Can you say the word SURETY?

http://i50.tinypic.com/1z5u7tk.jpg

Since every post you make is along the same lines, i will go ahead and correct you. It goes back much further than that, it goes back to ancient Rome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitis_deminutio

Are you suggesting that it is not the labor of the people that backs a FRN?

palani
17th May 2012, 03:49 PM
it goes back to ancient Rome I doubt if a Roman would think to write his slaves name in ALL CAPS.

Are you suggesting that it is not the labor of the people that backs a FRN?
FRNs are borrowed into existence but then 12 USC 411 makes it clear that they are only to be used for transactions between Federal Reserve banks AND THEIR AGENTS.

General of Darkness
17th May 2012, 04:01 PM
The problem CHAD, is that when YOU purchase PM's, they end up going down.

So thanks for the heads up. :)

vacuum
17th May 2012, 08:27 PM
I always thought the idea of buying PMs with a credit card was interesting. Trading plastic for cold hard metals.

One really interesting thing is that for credit cards, cash advances are pretty severely discouraged. They may limit how much cash you can get and also they jack the interest rate up astronomically. Yet you can easily buy pms and cash them if you'd like to get around that. Seems like a loophole (though I'm not totally clear on why they discourage them so highly in the first place).