PDA

View Full Version : Truman Show Delusion Becoming More Common

Hatha Sunahara
3rd June 2012, 02:41 PM
I think this kind of mental illness (below) is what people get from watching too much mainstream media TV

Hatha

http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/truman-show-delusion-becoming-more-common

Truman Show Delusion Becoming More Common

Psychiatrists are seeing an increase in the number of patients who think they're the unwilling star of a secret reality show.This “Truman Show” delusion may be the first mental illness to come out of the 21st century's obsession with quick and easy fame. posted about 4 days ago

Nicholas Marzano believes he's the subject of a secret reality show, and everyone in his town of Hillside, Illinois is in on it. He's suing HBO in federal court for, in his words, "filming and broadcasting a hidden camera reality show depicting the day-to-day activities of plaintiff" without his consent. His suit, filed in April, alleges that HBO has hidden cameras throughout his home, installed controlling devices in his car, enlisted the help of local police, and recruited actors to portray "attorneys, government and law enforcement officials, physicians, employers, prospective employers, family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers," all so that their show about his life can continue. Marzano also says HBO is keeping him from getting a job or paying his bills, so that he will be forced to remain on the show.

He appears to be a perfect example of what psychiatrist brothers Joel and Ian Gold describe, in a paper published this week in the journal Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, as "Truman Show" delusion — sufferers believe they are "the 'star' of a reality television show secretly broadcasting their daily life, much like the main character in Peter Weir’s film The Truman Show." Between the movie's 1998 release and 2006, they saw five patients with the delusion, and news reports from around the world since then have turned up even more disturbing cases. With the increasing popularity of YouTube and reality TV, the Golds think the disorder is on the rise. "Truman Show" delusion may be the early 21st century's paranoia du jour.

"Patient 1," the Golds write, was admitted to a psychiatric hospital after he went to a federal building in New York City seeking "asylum" from his reality show. He said "his life was like The Truman Show" and he demanded to speak to "the director." He believed the 9/11 attacks had been faked for the benefit of his show, and he'd come to New York to see if the World Trade Center towers were still standing. If they were, this would be definitive proof that he was on a show.

According to clinical reports at the time of his admittance, "Patient 2" believed he was under "the control of an extended network of individuals who are [...] taping him continually [...] and broadcasting the tapes nationally for viewers’ enjoyment as part of a scenario similar to [...] The Truman Show.’’

"Patient 3" was a newspaper reporter. He believed his media colleagues were faking TV, print, and Internet news "for his amusement." When hospitalized for his delusions (and for hinting that he might commit suicide), he thought his hospitalization was part of a "build-up" to a lucrative journalism prize he was about to win — he believed all his friends were in on the joke, and that everyone in the hospital was an actor. He tried to escape from the hospital so he could check the difference between real news on the outside and "fake" news he was receiving there. Drug treatment helped somewhat — by the time he was released, he said ‘‘there is an 80% chance that I will treat the hospitalization as if it is for real.’’

"Patient 4" actually worked on a reality show. He worked in production, but came to believe he was part of the cast of a "secret" show: ‘‘I thought I was a secret contestant on a reality show. I thought I was being filmed. I was convinced I was a contestant and later the TV show would reveal me.’’ He believed the "secret" show was funded by his family, and that the secret film crew could control his thoughts.

For "Patient 5," the delusion took the form of a "scheme," which he said was like The Truman Show. Like Marzano, he said everyone in his life was an actor. He believed he might be recorded in the hospital, and that the news he saw was faked as part of the scheme. He expressed a desire to "get back to my real life’’ to find out ‘‘what’s really going on in the outside world;" he also believed he would be released from the scheme on Christmas day. Interestingly, "Patient 5" thought he himself was the "master" of the scheme.

Gold and Gold, who first popularized the term "Truman Show" delusion in 2008, also cite several media reports of the affliction. In 2007, a Florida psychiatrist named William Johns III kidnapped a child in New York and choked the child's mother — ABC reported that, according to friends, Johns had said he had to go to New York to "get out of 'The Truman Show'."

And in 2009, an Australian man named Antony Waterlow murdered his father and sister, believing they were part of a "world wide game" to kill him or force him to commit suicide. Waterlow told a psychiatrist that "computers were accessing his brain through brainwaves and satellites" and that "his family was screening his life on the internet for the world to watch, akin to the film The Truman Show."

None of the patients Gold and Gold describe appear to have taken the step of suing a television network. However, excessive litigation can itself be a symptom of mental illness — Nicholas Marzano may suffer both from "Truman Show" delusion and from "litigious paranoia."

In any case, it's unlikely that his lawsuit, in which Marzano demands HBO pay him everything they owe for the "production, sales, distribution, and syndication" of his reality show, will cure his mental problems. Joel Gold says the recommended treatment for "Truman Show" delusion is the same as for any other delusional belief — antipsychotic drugs, and possibly cognitive-behavioral therapy. The only special addition for "Truman Show" sufferers: they may be advised to watch less reality TV. Which may not be such a bad thing for everyone.

Santa
3rd June 2012, 03:00 PM
You mean a different network isn't gonna sign me up for an extended 5 year contract with an automatic 100% annual pay raise? That's a bummer.

Hatha Sunahara
3rd June 2012, 03:04 PM
We really do need a 'THANKS' button.

Hatha

BrewTech
3rd June 2012, 04:01 PM
We should rename GSUS "the Truman Board".

:p

Gaillo
3rd June 2012, 04:07 PM
We should rename GSUS "the Truman Board".

:p

Why? You living your life here? ??? ;D

iOWNme
3rd June 2012, 04:13 PM
Nicholas Marzano believes he's the subject of a secret reality show, and everyone in his town of Hillside, Illinois is in on it. He's suing HBO in federal court for, in his words, "filming and broadcasting a hidden camera reality show depicting the day-to-day activities of plaintiff" without his consent. His suit, filed in April, alleges that HBO has hidden cameras throughout his home, installed controlling devices in his car, enlisted the help of local police, and recruited actors to portray "attorneys, government and law enforcement officials, physicians, employers, prospective employers, family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers," all so that their show about his life can continue. Marzano also says HBO is keeping him from getting a job or paying his bills, so that he will be forced to remain on the show.

Is this really that far fetched? :)

BrewTech
3rd June 2012, 04:15 PM
Why? You living your life here? ??? ;D

Aww c'mon, fess up... you're all actors trying to drive me insane!

()\

Gaillo
3rd June 2012, 05:02 PM
Aww c'mon, fess up... you're all actors trying to drive me insane!

()\

Drive you? ;D

osoab
3rd June 2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W76ork7CVw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W76ork7CVw

BrewTech
3rd June 2012, 06:06 PM
Drive you? ;D

Didn't say it wasn't working...

Carl
3rd June 2012, 06:12 PM
Yes, 8 or 9 cases worldwide and have us a regular pandemic of mental illness.....geez give me a break.

Gaillo
3rd June 2012, 06:24 PM
Didn't say it wasn't working...

;D

Friends always.

Neuro
3rd June 2012, 11:55 PM
Aww c'mon, fess up... you're all actors trying to drive me insane!()\
You are the nerdy guy trying to brew beer aren't you? ;D

Anyway sure the above guys are delusional (Gaillo and Brewtech), but they are not much more delusional than the masses that imagine everything around them is essentially ok... Obama born in Hawaii, WTC brought down by scary Muslims with box utters, pharmaceuticals improve their life, federal reserve look after us, arresting milk farmers is for our own good...

Awoke
4th June 2012, 05:09 AM
If they were actually doing that with my life, my attitude is "Give'em a good show, and stick to good morals".

BrewTech
4th June 2012, 06:22 AM
You are the nerdy guy trying to brew beer aren't you? ;D

Guilty on both counts, sir!

horseshoe3
4th June 2012, 06:33 AM
If they were actually doing that with my life, my attitude is "Give'em a good show, and stick to good morals".

Mutually exclusive, buddy. Can't be done.

mamboni
4th June 2012, 07:32 AM
Con artists and/or mental patients. Any lawyer who would take these cases should be disbarred for legal malpractice.

Awoke
4th June 2012, 07:54 AM
Mutually exclusive, buddy. Can't be done.

I disagree bro. Just because the khazars have mastered the art of turning anything immoral into entertainment, doesn't mean that entertainment has to be immoral.

Santa
4th June 2012, 08:08 AM
I disagree bro. Just because the khazars have mastered the art of turning anything immoral into entertainment, doesn't mean that entertainment has to be immoral.

The topic here isn't about being entertained. It's about mind control.
And in this case, you become the addicted puppet of their immoral mode of entertainment, selling their tune,
which is the essence of immorality.

Awoke
4th June 2012, 08:18 AM
you become the addicted puppet of their immoral mode of entertainment, selling their tune,
which is the essence of immorality.

Me? Or are you generalizing?
I don't even watch TV and crap like that. Only commercial free DVD sets, etc.

sirgonzo420
4th June 2012, 08:45 AM
Con artists and/or mental patients. Any lawyer ... should be disbarred for legal malpractice.

agreed

Santa
4th June 2012, 10:18 AM
Me? Or are you generalizing?
I don't even watch TV and crap like that. Only commercial free DVD sets, etc.

Yes, of course "you" as a generalization.
There is a rub, though.
Everyone expressing opinions on the internet today may very well be suffering a Truman Show delusion in a way, by not differentiating between themselves and their avatar online.

sirgonzo420
4th June 2012, 10:50 AM
Yes, of course "you" as a generalization.
There is a rub, though.
Everyone expressing opinions on the internet today may very well be suffering a Truman Show delusion in a way, by not differentiating between themselves and their avatar online.

Moot point.

Most people likely don't know who they really are anyway.

;D

Awoke
4th June 2012, 11:01 AM
I would say it's safe to assume that the crowd here is more "Self aware" than the average joe outside of GSus.

Santa
4th June 2012, 11:37 AM
Moot point.

Most people likely don't know who they really are anyway.

;D

True, and there's a great deal of effort to make sure that trend continues. Both externally and internally... Lol

horseshoe3
4th June 2012, 12:53 PM

I agree that entertainment doesn't have to be immoral. However, unscripted "entertainment" is very difficult to do cleanly. Who would give a rip about the royals if they were sleeping in their own beds every night? Do you think Survivor would have 1/10th the audience if it were a real survival show and not a soap opera in bikinis? There's a reason they are always in the tropics. "Survivor: Moosejaw" wouldn't have near the appeal.

About your first point - yes, the old shows were clean and more entertaining than modern fare. I'm sure some of it is a plan to demoralise the populace, but a large part of it is laziness. Not many people have the talent to write clean comedy. It's much easier to pull out a stock sex joke or show a half naked girl to keep people watching.

Hatha Sunahara
4th June 2012, 01:30 PM
This topic is about a delusion--something people believe that isn't real. This particular delusion is a bit bizarre I would say, but you run into people every day who have more conventional delusions. Some think the criminal justice system protects them. Others believe that al qaeda is a real organization that poses grave danger to them. Still others believe that what they see and hear on the nightly news on their television sets represents the real world. Lots of people believe that the government 'issues' money, yet they have no idea how. Everybody has some kind of delusion. Most delusions are very widespread. Multitudes have the same delusion. The Truman Show delusion is rare, so we think it's weird. However, if half the population had this delusion, and you didn't, who would be the weird one then?

Most of us here at GSUS think we are less deluded than the general population. I don't know how many people consciously ask themselves if they could believe something that someday would turn out to be a complete lie. I do. In fact, I check a lot of things I believe (meaning I take them as truth) regularly, and hold them up against evidence that they are not true regularly.

And I know all you people are being paid to support my show. Aren't you? Fess up.

Hatha

Gaillo
4th June 2012, 01:57 PM
This topic is about a delusion--something people believe that isn't real. This particular delusion is a bit bizarre I would say, but you run into people every day who have more conventional delusions. Some think the criminal justice system protects them. Others believe that al qaeda is a real organization that poses grave danger to them. Still others believe that what they see and hear on the nightly news on their television sets represents the real world. Lots of people believe that the government 'issues' money, yet they have no idea how. Everybody has some kind of delusion. Most delusions are very widespread. Multitudes have the same delusion. The Truman Show delusion is rare, so we think it's weird. However, if half the population had this delusion, and you didn't, who would be the weird one then?

Most of us here at GSUS think we are less deluded than the general population. I don't know how many people consciously ask themselves if they could believe something that someday would turn out to be a complete lie. I do. In fact, I check a lot of things I believe (meaning I take them as truth) regularly, and hold them up against evidence that they are not true regularly.

And I know all you people are being paid to support my show. Aren't you? Fess up.

Hatha

Hatha,
Good points all... except I think you missed one thing. The difference between most "mass delusions" (criminal justice is there to protect, etc.) and the "truman show" kind of delusions is this:

Any delusion that places the deludee in the center of things, as a "special" individual (a "Truman" character), is more likely to be a falsehood, and more likely to indicate mental illness. For example, thousands of men believing in a supernatural Jesus being is one level of delusion, but thinking YOU are Jesus is a whole new can of crazy! ;D

palani
4th June 2012, 02:11 PM
Any lawyer who would take these cases should be disbarred for legal malpractice.
Licenses are permission to do what would otherwise be illegal. Therefore a doctor can kill his patient (by accident of course) and a lawyer can argue. Legal bad-practice (malpractice) is punished by clients who would rather agree than fight.