PDA

View Full Version : going back to my gold mine in 3 weeks

chad
27th June 2012, 06:34 AM
some will recall my gold mine excursions last summer. heading back up there in 3 weeks.

things i should look for/do?

this year i'm going in the mine + i plan to spend a whole day digging around in the tailings to see what i can find.

sirgonzo420
27th June 2012, 06:36 AM
you should look for gold.

I call half of whatever you find for giving you the idea.

gunDriller
27th June 2012, 06:52 AM
some will recall my gold mine excursions last summer. heading back up there in 3 weeks.

things i should look for/do?

this year i'm going in the mine + i plan to spend a whole day digging around in the tailings to see what i can find.

walk around with a metal detector perhaps ?

unless you have too many 'hot rocks' that give you false positives and waste your time digging out rocks with iron in them, for example.

how about safety ? is it a "tunnel" type gold mine, or more of an open air arrangement ?

chad
27th June 2012, 06:55 AM
walk around with a metal detector perhaps ?

unless you have too many 'hot rocks' that give you false positives and waste your time digging out rocks with iron in them, for example.

how about safety ? is it a "tunnel" type gold mine, or more of an open air arrangement ?

it's a tunnel. i'm not going in miles, just a few yards maybe to see if i can find anything interesting. there's a huge slag field all around it, that's where i dug the gold out of last summer. i figure if i can find rocks in the slag pile with visible gold in them, mane i can find something even better inside the mine. i'll be careful.

horseshoe3
27th June 2012, 06:57 AM
How did the assay turn out? CC was going to post the results, and then he disappeared from the face of the earth. Do you know what happened to him?

osoab
27th June 2012, 06:58 AM
Maybe PM crazychicken for some ideas? Wasn't he the one that gave you the results from your first excursion?

osoab
27th June 2012, 06:59 AM
How did the assay turn out? CC was going to post the results, and then he disappeared from the face of the earth. Do you know what happened to him?

He and EHaney had it out of CC's methods on chad's assay. CC said fudge this and left. That is my recollection.

chad
27th June 2012, 07:04 AM

he got really busy with his ranch & work. i think he still lurks, just doesn't post much. my assay came back REALLY well. he sent me the gold back & suggested i try to get a claim on the mine. that isn't doable, as it's in canada & i found out the canadian government owns the land. i'm kind of a gold mine infiltrator at this point. there's no way they'll ever know i'm there, as it's 37 miles inside of nowhere up a 200 mile road to nowhere.

mamboni
27th June 2012, 07:08 AM
he got really busy with his ranch & work. i think he still lurks, just doesn't post much. my assay came back REALLY well. he sent me the gold back & suggested i try to get a claim on the mine. that isn't doable, as it's in canada & i found out the canadian government owns the land. i'm kind of a gold mine infiltrator at this point. there's no way they'll ever know i'm there, as it's 37 miles inside of nowhere up a 200 mile road to nowhere.

Bring a pick axe and a gun. If some shady looking dudes wearing big floppy hats approach you, do not ask them for badges. Just shoot them.

sirgonzo420
27th June 2012, 07:15 AM

Hope they don't have this "Internet" thingy up there in Canada. :o

http://buffetoblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/mounties-on-fake-horses.jpg

(lol, I can't really do this... this Library of Alexandria is short one Book)

chad
27th June 2012, 07:21 AM
if i get arrested, at least it will be for the love of gold :)

Awoke
27th June 2012, 07:24 AM
Bring a shotgun. Abandoned mines are great homes for big bears.
I wish I could come with you.

chad
27th June 2012, 07:26 AM
Bring a shotgun. Abandoned mines are great homes for big bears.
I wish I could come with you.

good advice, i'll borrow a shotgun from my friend whose place i'll be staying at. you need to move further west, we could totally hang out 5 or 6 weeks a year.

Awoke
27th June 2012, 07:30 AM
That would be awesome. Can't relocate though. Not in the cards.

beefsteak
27th June 2012, 07:32 AM
Chad,
PM sent.

beefsteak

horseshoe3
27th June 2012, 07:46 AM
I found posts 67 and 82 in your original thread very helpful. You might review them again. (Tip of the hat to Beefsteak.)

http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?53529-how-do-you-order-an-assay-test

chad
29th July 2012, 11:49 AM
pics coming :D

k-os
29th July 2012, 11:59 AM

You tease!

Dogman
29th July 2012, 12:19 PM

You tease!

Bet he is an excellent fisherman!

chad
29th July 2012, 12:55 PM
Bet he is an excellent fisherman!

that's what i was king most of the time :) give me 20 minutes uploading some now...

chad
29th July 2012, 01:19 PM
okay, i decided against posting pictures of the actual mine in the event that someone stumbles across this and recognizes it. slim chance, but i am erring on the side of caution.

now for the good news: there is no claim. i spent time on the phone with the ministry of northern development and mines. i provided them with the coordinates, and they cannot find anything ever registered. the person i spoke with told me it was very common in the mid to late 1800s for people to just open veins and take the large stuff stuff & then abandon it when large chunks were not found anymore. apparently they are "all over" (whatever that means) canada if you can find them.

i am in the process of filing out paperwork to acquire the rights, it is looking to cost about $325 a year to maintain it. i don't have any real specifics on how this process works, as i have a lawyer buddy here in wisconsin doing all of the work for me with the office in thunder bay. i just know i have to buy a prospecting license for $25, and then spend $300 a year in material improvements to the claim area. will post more info once the whole process is completed, but the bottom line is that it looks like i will have this claim at some point.

now for the pics :D

chad
29th July 2012, 01:20 PM

this one basically has gold over the entire surface of the rock, doesn't show up so well in pic.

chad
29th July 2012, 01:23 PM
so, these are representative of what i brought back this trip. we had 3 trucks in our fishing group, and i was able to bring back 213 rocks total. :D

osoab
29th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Awesome chad.

chad
29th July 2012, 01:31 PM
i also caught 2 pike in the 40" range and multiple 23" walleyes, so that was epic as well.

mamboni
29th July 2012, 01:35 PM
Holy smokes Chad! You can see little chunks of gold in those stones! This has to be richer than the typical miner quote of 0.5 gram per ton. All you have to do is get a small-scale gas-power crusher, and soak the crushed rock in cyanide solution and precipitate out the gold cyanide salt. Shit man, are you looking for a silent partner? I'll mail you a check now.

osoab
29th July 2012, 01:52 PM
i also caught 2 pike in the 40" range and multiple 23" walleyes, so that was epic as well.

Sounds like an awesome trip to the land of canuuks.

chad
29th July 2012, 01:58 PM
Holy smokes Chad! You can see little chunks of gold in those stones! This has to be richer than the typical miner quote of 0.5 gram per ton. All you have to do is get a small-scale gas-power crusher, and soak the crushed rock in cyanide solution and precipitate out the gold cyanide salt. Shit man, are you looking for a silent partner? I'll mail you a check now.

i'll keep you in mind :)*#*

not sure what the plan is now. the mine guy at the mndm told me that visible gold on the rocks can sometimes be worth more to collectors than the actual au content. i may try selling a few "raw" pieces and see what happens. one of them i have is the size of a football and is "covered" on one side. first step is to get the claim, and then i'll see what happens. all in all, it's turning out to be pretty exciting for me.

beefsteak
29th July 2012, 03:48 PM
Real pleased for you, Chad! Nice going! Good luck with the claim paperwork.

With good camera closeups, lighting, and some patience, a piece about the size of a single, round, black rubber roll of film can. It bought upwards of $260 (US ebay) last week. A year or so back, yours truly gave $1200 for one about that size. There're some perameters for you.

"excited along WITH you" beefsteak

k-os
29th July 2012, 04:32 PM
Congrats, chad! The pics were worth the wait! Whoohoo! I am so happy for you!

chad
29th July 2012, 05:31 PM
i don't know anything about how mining long ago was done. there was a lot of ground up white powder/sand at the base of the mine that smelled like gun powder. i filled up two little buckets of this sand crap and brought them back. i am panning them at the moment.

not to turn this in to days of our lives or anything, but i will be drinking heavily tonight. panning pics tomorrow.

Sparky
29th July 2012, 05:38 PM
Plus, if you look closely, you can see a merc dime in every chunk! Even if you just grabbed each one of those and didn't do any crushing, it would totally be worth it!

k-os
29th July 2012, 05:40 PM
Plus, if you look closely, you can see a merc dime in every chunk! Even if you just grabbed each one of those and didn't do any crushing, it would totally be worth it!

Ha!

Libertytree
29th July 2012, 05:49 PM
All my best to ya dude, I love it!

If it gets to the point ya need/want some sweat equity holler at me.

MNeagle
29th July 2012, 08:38 PM
So how did you transport them back to US? Just in the back of a truck or what? No grief from customs?

chad
29th July 2012, 08:43 PM
So how did you transport them back to US? Just in the back of a truck or what? No grief from customs?

no, they saw them in the truck, even told them. just rocks.

beefsteak
1st August 2012, 08:13 AM
i don't know anything about how mining long ago was done. there was a lot of ground up white powder/sand at the base of the mine that smelled like gun powder. i filled up two little buckets of this sand crap and brought them back. i am panning them at the moment.

not to turn this in to days of our lives or anything, but i will be drinking heavily tonight. panning pics tomorrow.

Here's a novel thought, Chad....
oogling "smells like gunpowder" brought this up in first position....
Moon Dust Smells Like Spent Gunpowder (http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/moon-dust-smells-like-spent-gunpowder/)

Seriously, tho'...it's now 3 tomorrows later....
....where're the panning pix? {**}

beefsteak
P.S., that icon above is the closest this forum has to a gold nugget icon. LOL

chad
1st August 2012, 01:11 PM
procrastinating, i'll do some today, promise :D

edit:can't get macro on my new camera to work yet. :(

osoab
14th November 2012, 04:04 AM
Where them pics at?