PDA

View Full Version : June 2012 U.S. Temperatures: Not That Remarkable

Horn
8th July 2012, 04:58 AM
I know that many journalists who lived through the recent heat wave in the East think the event somehow validates global warming theory, but I’m sorry: It’s summer. Heat waves happen. Sure, many high temperature records were broken, but records are always being broken.
And the strong thunderstorms that caused widespread power outages? Ditto (http://www.drroyspencer.com/2012/07/35-years-ago-today-global-cooling-caused-severe-wind-damage/).

Regarding the “thousands” of broken records, there are not that many high-quality weather observing stations that (1) operated since the record warm years in the 1930s, and (2) have not been influenced by urban heat island effects, so it’s not at all obvious that the heat wave was unprecedented. Even if it was the worst in the last century for the Eastern U.S. (before which we can’t really say anything), there is no way to know if it was mostly human-caused or natural, anyway.

“But, Roy, the heat wave is consistent with climate model predictions!”. Yeah, well, it’s also consistent with natural weather variability. So, take your pick.

For the whole U.S. in June, average temperatures were not that remarkable. Here are the last 40 years from my population-adjusted surface temperature dataset, and NOAA’s USHCN (v2) dataset (both based upon 5 deg lat/lon grid averages; click for large version):

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/June-US-sfc-temps-USHCN-vs-ISH-PDAT-1973-2012.png

Certainly the U.S drought conditions cannot compare to the 1930s.

I really tire of the media frenzy which occurs when disaster strikes…I’ve stopped answering media inquiries. Mother Nature is dangerous, folks. And with the internet and cell phones, now every time there is a severe weather event, everyone in the world knows about it within the hour. In the 1800s, it might be months before one part of the country found out about disaster in another part of the country. Sheesh.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/

muffin
8th July 2012, 06:07 AM
yes! thank you! my neighbor is freaking out about his cows saying he has never seen a spring drought like this before in his 70 years. i think it's just the natural order of things. i've said it since they were screaming global warming.

it bothers me that the 8s are upside down in that graph...

gunDriller
8th July 2012, 06:24 AM
it bothers me that the 8s are upside down in that graph...

looks like the big-busted 8's.

must be using the TnA font :)

Horn
8th July 2012, 06:31 AM
Those are androgynous 8s.

Edward
8th July 2012, 06:43 AM
Yes, we just broke out heatwave last night, it's been 102-106 everyday for two-three weeks. Of course the media blows this out of proportion and everyone jokes about global warming, but this does not take away from the fact that our resources are finite.

Horn
8th July 2012, 06:50 AM
but this does not take away from the fact that our resources are finite.

Are you suggesting we tax finite resources at a higher rate, Ed?

Wouldn't that be counter intuitive?

muffin
8th July 2012, 06:52 AM
i think (at least in my case) that it just makes you more aware of how precious some resources are. i have to admit that i am a little worried about the well running dry.

Edward
8th July 2012, 07:04 AM
Are you suggesting we tax finite resources at a higher rate, Ed?

Wouldn't that be counter intuitive?
Well I am certainly not for taxing resources at a higher rate, I don't know where that comes from. I merely suggest the dangers of the masses being mislead and misdirected from the facts... which is not global warming, it's that a civilization based solely on extracting finite resources is doomed to swallow itself whole.

P.S. I like the 8's as they are

Horn
8th July 2012, 07:17 AM
it's that a civilization based solely on extracting finite resources is doomed to swallow itself whole.

Lack of resources would be an effective counterbalance to that.

Now there's also a large part (maybe not large, but elite & in control of) that has gained off of expansionary fiat interest of those same resources, now how can they "tax the rain" to replace those previous gains is their issue...

Edward
8th July 2012, 07:22 AM
True, is that when we start seeing Water traded as a commodity and pawn shop commercials asking us to trade is our water for cash...