PDA

View Full Version : Obama: AK-47s belong on battlefield, not streets

Ares
25th July 2012, 07:41 PM
NEW ORLEANS – President Obama touched the sensitive issue of guns here on Wednesday, pivoting off last week’s Colorado movie theater shootings to call for a “consensus around violence reduction" in the country.

With the last public event of a four-day trip that started with a visit to the Aurora, Colo., hospital where almost two dozen victims were brought after the shootings, Obama threw his weight behind measures to strengthen background checks at gun shows and other efforts to keep weapons out of the hands of mentally-ill people.

“These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense,” Obama told the National Urban League conference.

Obama's remarks in the Big Easy about guns were the most extensive of his term, going farther than what he said after the 2011 shooting of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and more than a dozen others. White House aides have acknowledged new gun laws are still politically impossible in the current election-year climate, but Obama's comments suggest he's at least willing to talk about the issue.

“I – like most Americans – believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Obama said. “I think we recognize the traditions of gun ownership passed on from generation to generation, that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage.

“But I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers and not in the hands of crooks. They belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities,” he added.

Obama bemoaned the lack of political will to tackle gun issues, noting how congressional leaders have so far shown little interest in advancing new legislation following the Colorado shooting.

“When there’s an extraordinarily heartbreaking tragedy like the one we saw, there’s always an outcry immediately after for action,” Obama said. “There’s talk of new reforms. There’s talk of legislation. And too often those efforts are defeated by politics and by lobbying and eventually by the pull of our collective attention elsewhere. But what I said in the wake of Tucson is we’re going to stay on this persistently.”

Obama said he'd "continue to work with members of both parties and with religious groups and with civic organizations to arrive at a consensus around violence reduction."

And Obama had a message to Americans that went beyond government.

“As we convene these conversations, let’s be clear even as we debate government’s role, we have to understand that when a child opens fire on another child, there’s a hole in that child’s heart that government alone can’t fill," he said. "It’s got to be up to us as parents, as neighbors and as teachers and as mentors to make sure our young people don’t have that void inside them. It’s up to us to spend time with them. To pay more attention to them. To show them more love and they learn to love each other and they learn to love one another and they grow up knowing what it is to walk a mile in somebody else’s shoes and to view the world in somebody else’s eyes."

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/07/obama-aks-belong-on-battlefield-not-streets-130141.html#.UBCdzwzqtbQ.twitter

midnight rambler
25th July 2012, 07:50 PM
Hey Baracula, how 'bout practicing a lil' 'violence reduction' yourself by stopping the killings via robots aka drones?? You know, 'leading by example' and all...

You carry on with your very own 'kill list'/wholesale slaughter by remote control in your very own SS protected cocoon yet you would deny people their own personal 'sword' (weapon of the day)...hypocritical pos...but we really do understand that your just another godless Communist revolutionary who doesn't give a rat's ass how much blood is spilled to further your Luciferian inspired commie agenda.

Twisted Titan
25th July 2012, 10:15 PM
“I think we recognize the traditions of gun ownership passed on from generation to generation, that hunting, shooting and DEFENDING LIFE AND PROPERTY are part of a cherished national heritage.

How he missed that part of the teleprompter speech I will never know

iOWNme
26th July 2012, 05:28 AM
For anyone who is considering buying a rifle like this, or any other, i would jump on it NOW. Things could drastically change within days......

Twisted Titan
26th July 2012, 06:14 AM
And if you can't for some odd reason get ammo and mags for common calibers.....that's just as important

madfranks
26th July 2012, 07:24 AM
The 2nd amendment (according to Obama):

A national heritage of shooting and hunting, being cherished from generation to generation, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JDRock
26th July 2012, 07:27 AM
and kenyans belong in kenya,not the white house.

General of Darkness
26th July 2012, 07:28 AM
I wonder if the ones his DOJ gave to the beaners that were used to murder the border patrol agent is what he's talking about?

Gaillo
26th July 2012, 03:03 PM
The 2nd amendment (according to Obama):

A national heritage of shooting and hunting, being cherished from generation to generation, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. shall be infringed whenever "common sense" and UN treaties necessitate further restrictions.

Fixed that for ya! ;)