PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Dime Score: Price Check Needed

SLV^GLD
27th July 2012, 05:21 AM
I made a hell of a score in an online trade. The trade was for completely unrelated hobby materials and the other guy had some Mercury Dimes and some various cents he was looking to get rid of. He had no clue the value of them and neither did I except the melt value. I gave him an honest melt value and told him I had no interest in numismatic value.

We based the trade on these 20 dimes being worth about $40.

Well, each dime is cardboard flip holstered with a date and a grade. I am assuming the grades are correct, they appear to be but I'm no expert in these matters.

I have the following dates/grades:

1921/vg x1
1921 (well worn) x2
1921-D/g x3
1924/vf-xf x1
1926/xf x1
1926-S/g x1
1926-S/f x1
1930-S/f/g+/vg x3
1931-D/g x2
1940-S/au x1
1941/bu x2
1942/bu x1
1945/?? x1

My understanding is the 1921 and 1921-D are worth quite a bit and the 1926 are not cheap. The rest I think may be worth a shade over melt but I'm not sure. I'm more interested in trading these in for a bigger stack of dimes than keeping them for numismatic value. I'd much rather someone who cares about such thing have them. that said, I don't wanna let them go for cheaper than i have to.

Any input is appreciated.

madfranks
27th July 2012, 08:09 AM
What a score!!! According to the PCGS price guide:

http://www.pcgs.com/Prices/PriceGuideDetail.aspx?MS=1&PR=1&SP=1&c=703&title=Mercury+Dime

The 1921's in good (G-4) condition (good = Slightly worn rims, flat detail, peripheral lettering nearly full) are worth $50 a piece, the 1921-D in good (G-4) condition is worth $65, and the 1926-S is worth about $14. Paying $2 bucks each is quite the score!

madfranks
27th July 2012, 08:12 AM
Also, to add, the 1942 merc dimes are very common, so even if your BU 1942 would grade to a MS-63 "gem" state, it would only be worth $11. But since they're so common I doubt anyone would actually buy it for that.

SLV^GLD
27th July 2012, 12:04 PM
I took them by a reputable coin store this afternoon. The grades on the flips were, shall we say, enthusiastic... the appraiser walked me through his grading process with a guide and the details he was looking at. All of the coins had been cleaned :mad:.

For the 1921-D's I got $25ea and the 1921's fetched $15ea.

I kept the rest.

Everybody in the deal including the guy who sold them to me walked away happy.

madfranks
27th July 2012, 12:09 PM
All of the coins had been cleaned :mad:.

Aint that a bitch. Most people don't know that by cleaning or polishing a numismatic coin you're damaging it. If you try to slab a coin after cleaning or polishing it, some companies either won't grade it or it will come back with a prominent "CLEANED" or "POLISHED" on the slab.

Down1
27th July 2012, 04:26 PM
I watch Pawn Stars occasionally and this cleaning issue pops ups.

osoab
27th July 2012, 04:52 PM
I watch Pawn Stars occasionally and this cleaning issue pops ups.

I advise you to quit watching Pawn Stars and teevee programming in general.

Skirnir_
27th July 2012, 05:04 PM
I do not consider the 'pawn' shows to be particularly odious; at worst, it would appear to be normalising pawn shops and the indebtedness they bring. I would estimate that ninety percent of the trouble tends to come from the commercials, and Hardcore Pawn features some amusing TNB.

osoab
27th July 2012, 05:12 PM
I do not consider the 'pawn' shows to be particularly odious; at worst, it would appear to be normalising pawn shops and the indebtedness they bring. I would estimate that ninety percent of the trouble tends to come from the commercials, and Hardcore Pawn features some amusing TNB.

I think they are bad. We get the "selected" version on teevee. We also get a happy go lucky version of pawn shops. Not the real version that rubes get taken easily when desperate.

Besides, when I did watch pawn stars, listening to chumley made me feel like I was losing brain cells.

Dogman
27th July 2012, 05:15 PM
I think they are bad. We get the "selected" version on teevee. We also get a happy go lucky version of pawn shops. Not the real version that rubes get taken easily when desperate.

Besides, when I did watch pawn stars, listening to chumley made me feel like I was losing brain cells.Agree, tho pawn shops do serve a purpose for those that need cash, and have no where else to turn to. And listening will make you lose brain cells, so your system probably was trying to warn you!

Skirnir_
27th July 2012, 05:17 PM

Besides, when I did watch pawn stars, listening to chumley made me feel like I was losing brain cells.

I'd advise sticking with these: https://www.youtube.com/user/truTVnetwork/videos?query=hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sma-jf-LFJM

osoab
27th July 2012, 05:20 PM
sorry for the derail slv. Good score!