PDA

View Full Version : Do YOU sign the back of your winning lottery tickets?

beefsteak
28th July 2012, 04:01 AM
This "tip" is news to me, courtesy of Huff-Po

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/26/susan-perez-lottery-ticket_n_1707476.html?utm_hp_ref=money&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D185270

-----------------
Suggest a genuine blackink pen and NOT one of those gel inkpens, which are easily erased.

beefsteak

freespirit
28th July 2012, 04:18 AM
This "tip" is news to me, courtesy of Huff-Po

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/26/susan-perez-lottery-ticket_n_1707476.html?utm_hp_ref=money&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D185270

-----------------
Suggest a genuine blackink pen and NOT one of those gel inkpens, which are easily erased.

beefsteak

i dont buy many lottery tickets, only if the jackpot is over 15 million, and i sign the ticket right there at the counter. that way whether it wins or not, it is clearly marked as mine...use a fine point sharpie, no way to erase it...

beefsteak
28th July 2012, 08:03 AM
Fine-point Sharpie sounds like a great idea. Being an old timer, yours truly was raised to sign only in blue or black ink so that it would "photocopy" well. LOL Until your post, I didn't realize I was "pre-Sharpie" generation, as well as old. (:;)

slowbell
28th July 2012, 08:36 AM
i dont buy many lottery tickets, only if the jackpot is over 15 million, and i sign the ticket right there at the counter. that way whether it wins or not, it is clearly marked as mine...use a fine point sharpie, no way to erase it...

I've read actually you have a higher chance of winning when the jackpot is lower, a couple million or so, because a lot less folks play then. Everyone talks about the lotto when the jackpot gets really huge, it's on the news, everyone buys tickets, etc.

The fine point sharpie is a good idea, like Beefsteak, I've always signed with a regular pen. Haven't bought a ticket in awhile, but it's fun on occasion.

Libertytree
28th July 2012, 09:57 AM
If having "winning" lotto tickets dictated the sole use for my signature I probably would have forgotten how to write my name, lol.

beefsteak
28th July 2012, 10:37 AM
Too funny! Never thought of it that way, LT. :)

Skirnir_
28th July 2012, 01:26 PM
In reply to the titular question - the lottery is a tax on the innumerate and the hopeful. I despise both attributes; draw your own conclusions.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th July 2012, 01:39 PM
I've never purchased a lottery ticket in my life. I find gambling with money to be rather distasteful.

k-os
28th July 2012, 03:48 PM
I've never purchased a lottery ticket in my life. I find gambling with money to be rather distasteful.

What about gambling with fiat? ;-)

Libertytree
28th July 2012, 04:18 PM
As usual skinner has an affliction to speaking in regular English and prefers to baffle with esoteric words, vague sentences and bullshit.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
28th July 2012, 06:01 PM
What about gambling with fiat? ;-)

Touche, but since it still hypothetically represents my manhours, I do not do so.

Publico
29th July 2012, 06:00 AM
I don't sign the back of the lottery ticket. What I do is a little different. On the back there is a place for "Name," "Address," and "Signature." On the "Name" line I place the name of the "person" who owns the ticket, in my case "The Lottery Investment Trust." Then in the event the ticket wins my lawyer signs the ticket on behalf of the Trust. Thus my name is not the one advertised as the winner.

beefsteak
29th July 2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks, publico. More questions, pls? So, you win, the you go find a lawyer, that lawyer creates a trust, and then you go make the claim?

How much is the retainer a lawyer asks for upfront if he or she knows they are setting up a winning lottery ticket trust that you have to cough up before they will write up the trust?

So, in your scenario, it is the lawyer who goes to the state lottery commission and gets the winnings for you?

Thanks for any additional information. I seem to remember a group of 3 rather silent young men who shared a lottery winning a few months back, and their attorney did all the talking while the cameras were flashing. Looks like they couldn't avoid the limelight totally. Makes me wonder if the state lottery commission required their appearance as part of the winner dog and pony show.

beefsteak

freespirit
29th July 2012, 08:12 AM
In reply to the titular question - the lottery is a tax on the innumerate and the hopeful. I despise both attributes; draw your own conclusions.

you despise the hopeful? that's a pretty asinine statement.

Skirnir_
29th July 2012, 01:40 PM
you despise the hopeful? that's a pretty asinine statement.

The attribute of being hopeful i.e. hopefulness is despised. It is rooted in delusion and weakness, and clouds one's judgement.

Skirnir_
29th July 2012, 01:43 PM
As usual skinner has an affliction to speaking in regular English and prefers to baffle with esoteric words, vague sentences, and bullshit.

Aversion is the word that was attempting to emerge from those rat droppings betwixt your ears. Oxford defines 'affliction' as 'a cause of pain or harm'.

slowbell
29th July 2012, 01:59 PM
Aversion is the word that was attempting to emerge from those rat droppings betwixt your ears. Oxford defines 'affliction' as 'a cause of pain or harm'.

You can be quite rude, you know that. There's no reason to post at LT that way.

Glass
29th July 2012, 08:27 PM
I don't sign the back of the lottery ticket. What I do is a little different. On the back there is a place for "Name," "Address," and "Signature." On the "Name" line I place the name of the "person" who owns the ticket, in my case "The Lottery Investment Trust." Then in the event the ticket wins my lawyer signs the ticket on behalf of the Trust. Thus my name is not the one advertised as the winner.

Down here we have a Not for Publication check box which you check/tick when signing the back of the ticket. Signing is optional but you need to check the NFP box and sign for privacy. I think there is more than $60million up for grabs this week in the various lotto's.