PDA

View Full Version : **urgent** info about berkey elements ( not good )

Twisted Titan
8th August 2012, 10:56 PM
Im doing this on the fly but i wanted top get this info out ASAP

The wife was complaining about the drinking water as of late that we run through the Berkey..... I said to myself no worries I just have to scrub the elements and reprime them.............boy was I ever wrong.

I take it apart and when i go to scrub the bottom portion is completely compromised....it litteraly came apart in my hand and i was able to see inside the element itself ( it was sealed with some sort of silicone glue like you would use for a window sealer).

I was completely thunderstruck when i saw this but i wanted to chalk it up that maybe it was bum element............ but much to my dismay the second one was bad as well with the exact same issues.

Now I m really worried so I jump on amazon to read some reviews............. Sweet Mother Mary this has been going on FOR YEARS.

The quality control has completely gone down the crapper and when you call all you get is a recording message.

This is mega bad on so many levels I dont even know where to start being able to secure clean potable water in a grid down situation is dam near first and formost and i was makingh a grand assumption as to validity of Berkey and what they claim . I just thank God that i found this out now while there are still options available

I will post a very detailed review of a poster on Amazon and everybody act accordindly.

*****UPDATE***** November 28th 2011
My original review was deleted by Amazon. This gross and unjustified censorship is particularly disturbing, especially since my original review received nearly %98 helpful votes (approximately 50 votes). Anyways, since I always save my data...I was able to re-post this information. Please only try to contact me with questions AFTER you have read my ENTIRE review. I have put a lot of time trying to spell everything out here. You will see my email address embedded within this review is you have any SPECIFIC questions that were NOT already addressed. If you are wondering what my motivation is....it is to help people who are in search of clean drinking water. I remember how much of a heartache it was for me doing all of the research. I just want to help, that all.

Not to be a buzz kill, but I spend DAYS researching these berkey filters. I even tracked down a gentleman who claimed to be one of the heads of the Toxicology Department, Dr. Portier, at LSU. He said that LSU did infact do ONE water sample on the Black Berkey over 8 YEARS ago and that neither he or LSU endorses their product. He also said that while the test did take place, that not Himself or LSU authorized a document to be placed on the internet. He said the reason that he was so quick to call me back is because he has had nearly 20 different inquires in the past 8 years asking about this "so called" lab analysis document that Berkey puts on their website. He also went on to say, that SOMEONE had to of manufactured the "LSU document" because he did not provide ANYONE with that document. So, even if LSU did do a sample, and if everything went alright, then why did New Millennium Concepts have to manufacture a LSU lab analysis report? Then I got to thinking, if New Millennium Concept (the company the main distributor for Black Berkey filters) is soooooooooooo confident in their product, then
Why don't they have any Quality Assurance procedures put into place?
Why don't they have their filters annually tested?
Why don't they get an NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certification.
Why don't they have a Micron Rating for their filter...Nominal or Absolute?

There I spoke with Valarie who was also very nice, she spend nearly 30 minutes talking to me on the phone about my questions. However, even though she was nice, she wasn't able to provide any logical explanations on why New Millennium Concepts did not provide any quality assurance testing on their filters, or why they do NOT recertify their filters annually to ensure that they are still working properly. When I pressed her on this issue, she explained that the tests were several hundred dollars apiece and that's why they did not do them frequently. Furthermore, her testament as to the quality of the Berkey Filters was that, "no one had ever gotten sick from using our Black Berkey filters". She went on to say that New Millennium Concepts has been in business since 1997 and they do a lot of business. She said that they sold over 350,000 dollars of product in December 2010 alone.
In conclusion, if New Millennium Concepts has been around as long as they say they have, and if they are selling over a quarter of a million dollars a month; then there is NO acceptable reason why they have not obtained an NSF certification, fail to conduct quality assurance on their products, or subject their filters to annual independent lab tests. These three steps would ensure the quality of their filters beyond doubt. Simply saying, "that no one has ever gotten sick using a Berkey Filter" is impossible to prove and meaningless. I have been drinking tap water for 30 years with all the fluoride, chlorine, and bacteria, and I have never gotten sick either. The problem is that unless the quality of water that you are drinking is SEVERELY contaminated, you won't get sick right away. Instead, it will be a slow cumulative effect on the body. That fact that Berkey or someone else manufactured lab analysis reports from LSU also scares me!!!

Bottom line is that the Berkey filters make some pretty awesome claims, but do very little to PROVE this to their consumers. History shows us that when a company makes great and unusual claims about their products, they NORMALLY back it up with proof; Berkey has failed to do that. As for Spectrum labs and the University of Arizona... I have yet to hear back from them.
This review is not meant to be negative in any way, it is solely to spread information and get to the bottom of this.
From what I can tell for sure, the best part about the filter is that the water collects in a 304 polished stainless steel basin, which is far superior to plastic! For this reason alone this filter might be worth buying? The Berkey filter will remove "some stuff", and in a survival situation this is definitely better than nothing. However, I am not able to use this filter for my EVERYDAY drinking water needs as several prominent Natural Health and Survival Personalities are endorsing!
If you want more info on how to contact New Millennium Concepts, or University of Arizona, or LSU toxicology department....feel free to contact me at wcoy79@yahoo.com and put "Berkey Water Filter" in subject line.

AGAIN, HERE ARE SOME "FACTS" TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A BERKEY

1) THEY ARE NOT NSF CERTIFIED

2) THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY "RECENT" LAB TESTS ON THEIR FITLERS

3) THEY DO NOT PROVIDE A MICRON RATING FOR THEIR ELEMENTS. (YOU CAN READ WHY THEY CHOOSE NOT TO WITHIN THEIR FAQ SECTION ON THEIR WEBSITE, BUT ANYONE WHO KNOWS A GOOD DEAL ABOUT WATER FILTRATION WILL SEE RIGHT THROUGH THIS REASONING)

4) SPECTRUM LABS APPARENTLY WENT OUT OF BUSINESS SO THERE IS NO WAY TO VERIFY THEY DID TESTING FOR BERKEY

5) DR. PORTIER, THE HEAD OF LSU TOXICOLOGY DEPARTMENT BELIEVES THAT SOMEONE HAS MANUFACTURED THE LAB REPORT FROM LSU THAT IS CIRCULATING AROUND THE INTERNET. THIS IS ALSO THE SAME ONE THAT WAS EMAILED TO ME FROM VALARIE AT NEW MILLENIUM CONCEPTS (BERKEY FILTER ELEMENT MANUFACTURER)

6) I USED A POOL TEST KIT TO VERIFY THAT THE FILTERSREDUCES CHLORINE AND FOUND POSITIVE RESULTS. I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH IT REMOVES, BUT IT DEFINITELY REMOVES SOME CHLORINE. I AM NOT SURE IF IT REMOVES CHLORAMINE THOUGH. HOWEVER, AFTER POURING REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER THROUGHT THE BERKEY FILTERS AND MEASURING THE pH BEFORE AND AFTER IT WENT THROGH THE FITLER ELEMENTS, I SAW THAT THEY pH HAD INCREASED AFTER IT WENT THROUGH THE FILTER. SINCE pH IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE AMOUNT OF PARTICLES/MINERALS CONTAINED WITHIN WATER, I REALIZED THAT THE BLACK BERKEY ELEMENTS ARE "ADDING" SOMETHING TO THE WATER. WHAT THAT IS, I AM NOT SURE, BUT I DEFINITELY DON'T LIKE THAT FACT.

7) THE MANUFACTURER CLAIMS THAT THESE FILTER ELEMENTS CAN BE USED FOR AN INDEFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME SO LONG AS THE FILTER'S GALLON RATING HAS NOT BEEN REACHED. WHILE I CANNOT PROVE THIS, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THESE ELEMENTS ARE NOT MADE OF CERAMIC AND THAT THEY ARE MADE OF SOME FORM OF ACTIVATED CARBON. CARBON BECMOES A BREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA AND VIRUSES IN WET ENVIORNMENTS AFTER AROUND 5-6 MONTHS. FOR THIS REASON ALONE, ALL OTHER CARBON BASED FILTER ELEMENTS RECOMMEND THAT YOU SWITCH OUT YOUR FILTERS AFTER 6 MONTHS EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT REACHED THAT FILTERS RATED GALLON CAPACITY. THE FACT THE VALARIE FROM NEW MILLENIUM CONCEPTS SAID THAT YOU CAN KEEP THE FITLER FOREVER SO LONG AS YOU DRY IT OUT WHEN NOT USING IT, SOUNDS A BIT FISHY TO ME.

8) THE MOST IMPORTANT FACT IS THAT WHILE ALL THE ABOVE FACTS ARE TRUE, THE MANUFACTURER AND ALL THE DISTRIBUTORS THAT I HAVE SPOKEN WITH OVER THE PHONE AND VIA EMAIL REFUSE TO Acknowledge THEM AS TRUTH. THIS WORRIES ME BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE THEY ARE TYRING TO HIDE SOMETHING. INSTEAD, THEY JUST PICK AND CHOOSE WHICH FACTS THEY WANT TO ATTACK AND REFUSE TO GIVE LOGICAL EXPLANATIONS REGARDING THE OTHERS STATEMENTS. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE PUREEST WATER YOU CAN GET, TRY DISTILLING YOUR WATER (I KNOW, I KNOW, I AM OBSESSED WITH WATER). BUT IF YOU ARE ONLY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO PURIFY WATER IN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS OR IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES THAT DON'T HAVE FILTRATION METHODS, THEN THE BERKEY OR SOME OTHER GRAVITY FED SYSTEM WILL WORK FOR YOU.

9) THE FLUORIDE ELEMENTS THAT BERKEY SELLS ARE FROM A THIRD PARTY MANUFACTURER AND HAVE NOT BEEN PROVEN TO REMOVE ANY SPECIFIC AMOUNT OF FLUORIDE. DISTILLING IS THE ONLY FOR SURE METHOD TO REMOVE FLUORIDE FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER.

BOTTOM LINE, THESE FILTERS ARE PROBABLY GOOD FOR EMERGENCY SITUATIONS AND EMERGENCY SITUATIONS ONLY. I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT THEY WILL REMOVE ANYTHING THAT THE CITY WATER HASN'T ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF, WHICH THE EXCEPTION OF CHLORINE.

Kali
8th August 2012, 11:29 PM
I spent hundreds of dollars testing water that came out of our Berkey filters a couple years ago. I found that they did not reduce or eliminate what they said they would or at the levels they said they would.

Our main concern was nitrates in which they hardly removed any.

I posted this on other forums like Kitco and GIM and was blasted by almost everyone.

The reason why forum members claimed they must work? Because the water tasted good. Seriously.

Then a Berkey salesman who was on GIM debated with me and said that they only claim it reduced nitrates so any reduction fits that and is not a lie. It is a lie though because they claim that their filters produce pure water which it is not pure at all.

My family and I drank water with super high nitrates (over CA's limit) for a couple years thanks to these cocksuckers...along with other crap that never got removed or greatly reduced. The water was far from pure.

It does remove the chlorine taste completely so this is why many think the water must be so damn good.

Good tasting water doesn't mean shit.

Glass
9th August 2012, 12:02 AM
I haven't used the black filters. I assume Black refers to the flouride filters. I have the ceramstyl (??) candles. These come from Royal Doulton. I purchased mine as a Berkey kit from someone here in Australia. I got the SS travel unit which is maybe about 1 - 1.5 gallons.

It contained the filter unitl and 2 times long filter candles. These are about 20cms long or 2/3 of a foot. They worked really well in terms of water flowing through them. It did take a while to run one lot of water through.

At the same time I also purchased 4 replacement filters which I simply shelved for later.

When I went to replace the filters, I found the extra ones they had sold me were about 1/2 the length. I still run only 2 of these. The thing I noticed immediately is that the water flow is much much faster. I can fill my storage container in about 6 hours instead of the maybe 18 - 20 hours previous. Water still tastes the same... which is good.

So because I haven't got any means for testing I can't say if it's any good. I'm assuming these filters are different to the black filters. I know they don't do flouride. I have been planning on getting some flouride filters to screw to the underside of the candles. Perhaps I had better not or I better change my expectations.

I wasn't happy with the smaller filters, the speed they filter doesn't give me much confidence. Still I clean them regularly which definately speeds them up a bit.

I'll watch and see what else you guys can dig up before I grab any more.

Cebu_4_2
9th August 2012, 12:23 AM
Did you look into steam distillation? You need a heat source so not sure if that would work out.

What I have been using here on a well is a basic filter prior to the softener then through a carbon .01 micron filter. Water was never tested but it does have a sweet taste. I'd drink it. We bottle up about 40 gallons and keep it on hand just in case.

Twisted Titan
9th August 2012, 12:51 AM
Can the old white ceramic ones be used instead???

What about Aqua Rain.............it is said that those elements can actually fit in a Berkey unit.

Thoughts??

Shami-Amourae
9th August 2012, 02:16 AM
Alex Jones has been promoting this alternative to Berkey called the ProPur (http://www.infowarsshop.com/ProPur-Traveler-Water-Filtration-System_p_554.html). Personally I haven't tried it. Doesn't have the best reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/ProPur-Stainless-Steel-Water-Purification/dp/B006V7N56W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344503987&sr=8-1&keywords=propur) though, but the complaints are about speed not about quality. I have kept my eye on it though incase something happened to Berkey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ewDbb65Q4

I use the Berkey too. I have noticed some odd tastes to my water sometimes, but I thought (or) think it was just scum or dirty glasses. I hope what you guys are saying isn't (correction) the case since I'd hate being duped, especially by a product so heavily recommended by the prepper/truther community.

Shami-Amourae
9th August 2012, 02:33 AM
I'm going to look for a fluoride test kit and see what I come up with. Maybe I can test this stuff and put it on YouTube. I've been wanting to start a YouTube channel with original content anyways, so this could be my opportunity and we could find out if the Berkey actually does remove fluoride. Might be a project over a period of time, but I think it would be a good idea to do.

Twisted Titan
9th August 2012, 03:55 AM
Alex Jones has been promoting this alternative to Berkey called the ProPur (http://www.infowarsshop.com/ProPur-Traveler-Water-Filtration-System_p_554.html). Personally I haven't tried it. Doesn't have the best reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/ProPur-Stainless-Steel-Water-Purification/dp/B006V7N56W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344503987&sr=8-1&keywords=propur) though, but the complaints are about speed not about quality. I have kept my eye on it though incase something happened to Berkey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0i-JoS6V4

I use the Berkey too. I have noticed some odd tastes to my water sometimes, but I thought (or) think it was just scum or dirty glasses. I hope what you guys are saying is the case since I'd hate being duped, especially by a product so heavily recommended by the prepper/truther community.

That is why I feel so fricken bad because I use to pound the pavement promoting this sh!t. I was banking the safety of myself and family on the promises this company alleged. If this was a grid down situation I would have been S.O.L.

My Momma told me 2 things a long time ago: Your word is everything because there will come a day when the only leg you will have to stand on is Your Word and you either will be Saved or Hung by it.

There is no shame in making a mistake...........it only gets bad when you know about it and do nothing or worse try and cover it up cause it will always come back to bite you with razor sharp fangs.

Thats why I wanted to get this out asap because I know I good many people here would have been caught flatfooted........... I cant have that. not amongst my own.

Serpo
9th August 2012, 04:00 AM
That is why I feel so fricken bad because I use to pound the pavement promoting this sh!t. I was banking the safety of myself and family on the promises this company alleged. If this was a grid down situation I would have been S.O.L.

My Momma told me 2 things a long time ago: Your word is everything because there will come a day when the only leg you will have to stand on is Your Word and you either will be Saved or Hung by it.

There is no shame in making a mistake...........it only gets bad when you know about it and do nothing or worse try and cover it up cause it will always come back to bite you with razor sharp fangs.

Thats why I wanted to get this out asap because I know I good many people here would have been caught flatfooted........... I cant have that. not amongst my own.

Thats OK as you will understand the problem more like you have and can expose it for us .

Shami-Amourae
9th August 2012, 04:14 AM
The ProPur sucks I heard since it takes like a day to filter just a cup or two of water.

None of the gravity filters are good then if this is all true. The only alternative would be reverse osmosis, but I want gravity fed since it would be perfect to have around in a SHTF scenario where we no longer can rely on water pressure from the tap. I've seen some reverse osmosis systems claim they remove radioactive particles too, so that's a plus for that. I'm doing research into fluoride testing kits and I'm going to buy one. I don't want to rush it since I want to do enough research so I know what I'm doing.

To be honest with you guys, if we do have a SHTF scenario, fluoride won't be our biggest concern. So maybe the solution is to have a backup gravity fed filter system in case of this, but use reverse osmosis regularly to deal with fluoride. I'm not an expert or anything. That's just my opinion.

Here is another alternative: Moving to a fluoride-free town. (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211104339035535904515.00049eb8d682205acc89d&ll=46.739861,-95.976562&spn=104.657129,189.441419&t=h&vpsrc=6&source=embed)

palani
9th August 2012, 04:59 AM
I've heard that a cheap clay flowerpot with the bottom hole plugged is as effective a filter as the Berkey.

The Berkey is supposed to be impregnated with silver to prevent bacteria problems.

I notice that nothing grows in the bottom reservoir. If any bacteria or nutrients were getting through you can be assured this container would be covered with slime.

Here mostly it is iron bacteria from the well casing that I like to see removed.

sirgonzo420
9th August 2012, 05:16 AM
for SHTF:

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/ekmps/shops/bduimportsltd/images/katadyn-pocket-ceramic-water-filter-3755-p.jpg

Shami-Amourae
9th August 2012, 05:48 AM
for SHTF:

http://conbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/lifestraw2.jpg

There's also the LifeStraw (http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw). It's only $20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unr565H9r4o

It has solid reviews on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/LifeStraw-Personal-Water-Filter/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344516632&sr=8-1&keywords=lifestraw) too.

http://conbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/0exp-lifestraw-diagram.jpg

sirgonzo420
9th August 2012, 05:52 AM
You'd be better off with the LifeStraw (http://eartheasy.com/lifestraw). It's only $20.

Depends on how thirsty you plan on being.

:)

Lifestraw = capacity of 264 gallons

Katadyn = capacity of 13,000 gallons

That said, I've heard of the Lifestraws before, and for the price, it still wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a couple around.

mick silver
9th August 2012, 06:19 AM
T t thats all we used are the white ceramic filters in ours . now i hope there doing there jop . we used are every day ....

slowbell
9th August 2012, 07:18 AM
Folks, I have a couple of sea panel solar distillers. For a week (about if I remember) I used one of these panels to solar distill all the water I drank as a test. From my understanding, the only way to get pure water is from distillation or reverse osmosis. Those are the only 2 ways to 'purify', all other methods are filtration.

I conversed back and forth with sea panel, and the folks are very nice. They took awhile to get my order out, due to a tornado wiping out their warehouse, and also they were sending anything available to Haiti at the time of the quake.

These distillers make very good prep items, imo. They pack up like a small tent, and are very light. They are a bit challenging to set up for the first time, but once you figure it out, it's easy.

http://www.seapanel.com/

chad
9th August 2012, 07:24 AM
i have this. it does what solid's thing does in a different way:

http://www.watercones.com/

slowbell
9th August 2012, 07:38 AM

Chad, have you tried it out? That's basically the same thing as the sea panel distiller. The advantage of the sea panel is it packs up and stows away without taking up more space. Also, more water output because it's bigger. I was getting a gallon a day out of mine, more than I could drink.

The sea panel, once set up, was like a rain forest in there. You can stick your hand inside and just feel the heat increase and high humidity. No moving parts, no filters to replace, very easy and nothing to break. UV will degrade it over time though.

chad
9th August 2012, 07:43 AM
haven't tried it, no. never heard of the sea panel before this, but i will probably pick one up. i have 2 ponds in my yard that are spring fed, but filled with frogs, muck, etc. with a ten acre yard, i could set some of these up, dump in water from the ponds and be good forever, i'd think. i hope this is a s good as the origo!

osoab
9th August 2012, 07:43 AM

Doesn't look like you can order these right now from the site. How much was the cost?

slowbell
9th August 2012, 07:45 AM
dup post

chad
9th August 2012, 07:47 AM
can't remember, but i think it was like $27 or something. they had different sized ones when i ordered, i think i got the medium ones. they had some deal where if you bought 2 you got one free. i think i paid like $60-something for 3 of them delivered.

slowbell
9th August 2012, 07:50 AM
haven't tried it, no. never heard of the sea panel before this, but i will probably pick one up. i have 2 ponds in my yard that are spring fed, but filled with frogs, muck, etc. with a ten acre yard, i could set some of these up, dump in water from the ponds and be good forever, i'd think. i hope this is a s good as the origo!

Chad, I'm really glad you like the origo! It's hard recommending products, I think, and nice to know when people like them. I still cook on my origo all the time, it's my only stove, still going strong after a couple years. Still cooks just as well as when I bought it new. Your origo should last you a very long time. I keep 20 gallons of denatured alcohol as preps, which should allow me to cook for over a year with the stove, probably even longer.

chad
9th August 2012, 07:56 AM
Chad, I'm really glad you like the origo! It's hard recommending products, I think, and nice to know when people like them. I still cook on my origo all the time, it's my only stove, still going strong after a couple years. Still cooks just as well as when I bought it new. Your origo should last you a very long time. I keep 20 gallons of denatured alcohol as preps, which should allow me to cook for over a year with the stove, probably even longer.

have you used your trangia yet? :D i use the origo for outside cooking of fish, chicken, etc. i have it permanently set up on a table in my garage. works great, nothing dangerous to break. great with 2 little kids running around.

slowbell
9th August 2012, 08:20 AM
have you used your trangia yet? :D i use the origo for outside cooking of fish, chicken, etc. i have it permanently set up on a table in my garage. works great, nothing dangerous to break. great with 2 little kids running around.

Yup, trangia works great! It's like a little mini origo. :) I keep it in my ditch bag ready to go, along with a sea panel.

The only downside to the sea panel, is that everyone thought I was growing marijuana in it. I got some funny looks, and had to explain what it was. Keep that in mind, if you set it up where others can see it.

joboo
9th August 2012, 10:31 AM
To kill off all the parasites, and bacteria I was reading all you have to do is bring water just to a boil rather than boiling the heck out of it for 20 mins.

Once everything is "dead", let it all settle, then carefully pour, or siphon, off from the top leaving the sediment at the bottom.

Potable at this stage.

If you want to go above, and beyond that, make a cheap evaporation distiller from a sheet of plastic, using the sun, boiled water from step 1, and the drip method.

Cost: A pot, a sheet of plastic, a couple pebbles, and a match.

Dogman
9th August 2012, 10:41 AM
To kill off all the parasites, and bacteria I was reading all you have to do is bring water just to a boil rather than boiling the heck out of it for 20 mins.

Once everything is "dead", let it all settle, then siphon off from the top leaving the sediment at the bottom. The link has some good info about treating drinking water.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

"Snip"

Introduction This document should only serve as a guide for individuals intending to use untreated or poorly treated water as a drinking source. This document may also aid travelers and backcountry water users in researching drinking water treatment methods. Except for boiling, few of the water treatment methods are 100% effective in removing all pathogens. "Snip"

"Snip"

Boiling can be used as a pathogen reduction method that should kill all pathogens. Water should be brought to a rolling boil for 1 minute. At altitudes greater than 6,562 feet (greater than 2000 meters), you should boil water for 3 minutes.

"Snip"

big country
9th August 2012, 11:02 AM
My black filters for my berkey have been falling apart too. I filtered water with our berkey not long ago during that massive power outage. My thread in on here somewhere.

When the power came back on and I turned the top part of the berkey upside down in the sink to empty out the accumulated dirt in the bottom (we were filtering our creek water...muddy, etc) BOTH of the black filters fell apart into the sink and had come "unglued" from their base. Same thing that Twisted Avatar described in the OP. Upon close inspection I noticed particles of dirt in the seams and grooves of the glue (silicon) and also some settled on the plastic base. This means that some had come through into the drinking portion, but it wasn't enough to notice. If it let dirt through, it definitely let in nasties.

This is my second set to do this, the first though was during a move and I figured they "bounced around" too much and failed because of that. I have one set of black filters left that I had stored away but I do not trust them now.

I am placing an order of:
http://www.amazon.com/British-Berkefeld-Replacement-Ceramic-Berkey/dp/B002S10KNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344533472&sr=8-2&keywords=berkey+ceramic
or
http://www.amazon.com/Doulton-Sterasyl-Ceramic-Gravity-W9121709/dp/B003VT5TEY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1344533472&sr=8-14&keywords=berkey+ceramic
as soon as I get paid.

I'll never buy the black filters again. They're more expensive then the ceramic ones too.

midnight rambler
9th August 2012, 11:34 AM
Everyone should have multiple means of water purification (eliminates viruses in addition to bacteria), not just filtration. I've an AquaRain with extra elements kept boxed since 1999, but always buy Ozarka spring water so don't use it for now. Got an iodine infused PUR for a JIC unit however it's not good to use iodine purified water for an extended period. Got two First Need units which are purifiers without the use of iodine. Got an MSR hand filter.

Here's what EVERYONE needs one (or two) of, a MSR MIOX purifier (does not eliminate the need for a filter at times, but it will eliminate EVERYTHING including bio/chemical warfare agents). These are badass and have an NSN since they are issued to GIs -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goyXWqX96Yg

beefsteak
9th August 2012, 11:40 AM
JIC?
MSR?
MIOX?
NSN?

Please?

midnight rambler
9th August 2012, 11:43 AM
JIC? - just in case
MSR? - Mountain Safety Research, a well known manufacturer of outdoor gear
MIOX? - mixed oxidants, see www.miox.com (http://www.miox.com)
NSN? - you don't know?? too lazy to do a 'net search?? ???

Please?

k-os
9th August 2012, 06:13 PM
In order of their use, apparently, according to acronymfinder.com

****** NSN National Stock Number
****** NSN Nokia Siemens Networks
***** NSN NATO Stock Number
***** NSN National Storytelling Network
**** NSN New Substances Notification (CEPA)
**** NSN National Service Network (UK)
**** NSN National Student Number (NZ)
*** NSN Never Shout Never (band)
*** NSN Never Say Never
*** NSN No Shave November
*** NSN National Support Network
*** NSN Native Sovereign Nation
*** NSN Nelson, New Zealand - Nelson (Airport Code)
*** NSN No Serial Number
*** NSN No Such Number
*** NSN National Seismic Network (earthquake monitoring; various nations)
** NSN NASA Space Network
** NSN National Supervisory Network
** NSN National Screening Nursery
** NSN National Sleep Network
* NSN Northern Sportsman's Network
* NSN No Soap Needed
* NSN Non Special Need (adoptions)
* NSN Night Sky Network (various organizations)
* NSN Noskillsneeded (gaming clan)
* NSN New Schools Network (UK)

Oh, and there's 81 others.

I am thinking of an acronym . . . but back on topic . . .

I have a Berkey that I bought back maybe 4 years ago - thanks to the same Berkey salesman on GIM (RIP), no doubt. I've never used it. I can't imagine buying the more expensive filters (because I am quite frugal), but maybe I was convinced that the black ones were the way to go. I guess I'll have to dig it out and see if I have have ceramic or black filters.

Thanks for the heads up, Twisted Titan!

midnight rambler
9th August 2012, 06:29 PM
In the context that the reference was made -

These...have a NSN since they are issued to GIs -

In order of their use, apparently, according to acronymfinder.com

****** NSN National Stock Number
***** NSN NATO Stock Number

Now really, what's so difficult about that??* ???

A lot of manufacturers of gear make claims that their gear is used by the US military, but if any individual item has not been issued its own unique NSN then the US military is not using it - period.

*in another thread you assert you endeavor to learn something new everyday - so what happened today? Did you learn anyting on your own??

Heimdhal
9th August 2012, 06:53 PM
We also had one of our Black Berkey filters come apart, twice. The other one has never had an issue (this is of the original set we are still running).

After the second time repairing the broken filter, I bolstered the living piss out of it with some extra sealant glue and havent had an issue since (6 months+).

I was VERY dismayed, after spending so much money, to find it broken the first time when I went to clean it. They pretty seriously state NO HOT WATER, so I've never come close, but it has been in direct sunlight (kitchen window in the morning) and maybe that was enough to soften the glue.

Next set I buy, it'll be the white ones. We were also running the fluoride filters on ours, but they just went "bad" and I havent got around to replacing them. I have no way of telling whether they work, but we are filtering city water for now, and it seems of better quality, even in baking where all that hard water sediment makes a noticable difference in baked goods (thats our litmus test, lol).

For SHTF, my confidence is now shaken again, as it was when we first found the filter broken. I suppose as long as its pulling out the majority, other water sanitation methods should suffice (boiling, Iodine, etc).

FreeEnergy
9th August 2012, 07:58 PM
7) THE MANUFACTURER CLAIMS THAT THESE FILTER ELEMENTS CAN BE USED FOR AN INDEFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME SO LONG AS THE FILTER'S GALLON RATING HAS NOT BEEN REACHED. WHILE I CANNOT PROVE THIS, IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THESE ELEMENTS ARE NOT MADE OF CERAMIC AND THAT THEY ARE MADE OF SOME FORM OF ACTIVATED CARBON. CARBON BECMOES A BREEDING GROUND FOR BACTERIA AND VIRUSES IN WET ENVIORNMENTS AFTER AROUND 5-6 MONTHS. FOR THIS REASON ALONE, ALL OTHER CARBON BASED FILTER ELEMENTS RECOMMEND THAT YOU SWITCH OUT YOUR FILTERS AFTER 6 MONTHS EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT REACHED THAT FILTERS RATED GALLON CAPACITY.

The part about carbon filters are correct. However, there are numerous mixes of carbon with other materials, such as carbon+KDF, carbon+silver (silver-impregnated carbon), etc. That can last way past 12 months because material becomes bacteriostatic.

THE FACT THE VALARIE FROM NEW MILLENIUM CONCEPTS SAID THAT YOU CAN KEEP THE FITLER FOREVER SO LONG AS YOU DRY IT OUT WHEN NOT USING IT, SOUNDS A BIT FISHY TO ME.

That fact alone means these are not carbons.

9) THE FLUORIDE ELEMENTS THAT BERKEY SELLS ARE FROM A THIRD PARTY MANUFACTURER AND HAVE NOT BEEN PROVEN TO REMOVE ANY SPECIFIC AMOUNT OF FLUORIDE. DISTILLING IS THE ONLY FOR SURE METHOD TO REMOVE FLUORIDE FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER.

Not true. There are several other ways to remove fluoride besides distillation: activated alumina (very much misunderstood technology because of incorrect assumption "alumina" is "aluminum", which it isn't) is one, commonly used by large commercial projects everywhere (even NSF.org lists some). And reverse osmosis removes 95%+ percent, which is usually more than enough.

Looked at a MSR MIOX purifier. Fun and maybe good in emergency situations, but essentially looks like it is producing a weak chlorination mix. Basically, it chlorinates water in the wild...for what it's worth can probably buy a boat load of chlorine for the price of one fancy pen.

midnight rambler
9th August 2012, 08:09 PM
Looked at a MSR MIOX purifier...for what it's worth can probably buy a boat load of chlorine for the price of one fancy pen.

That's one opinion. I've done quite a bit of research on filters and purifiers. I like the MSR MIOX device so much I got two of them. All other purifiers use iodine except for the First Need Plus (which I also have a couple of). As I asserted earlier, one should have multiple means of producing potable water. Who thinks drinking (heavily) chlorinated water* or iodine treated water for any length of time is healthy when under stress - or at any other time for that matter??

slowbell
9th August 2012, 08:17 PM
That's one opinion. I've done quite a bit of research on filters and purifiers. I like the MSR MIOX device so much I got two of them. All other purifiers use iodine except for the First Need Plus (which I also have a couple of). As I asserted earlier, one should have multiple means of producing potable water. Who thinks drinking (heavily) chlorinated water* or iodine treated water for any length of time is healthy when under stress - or at any other time for that matter??

Midnight, the MSR MIOX seems great, but also quite complicated. I don't like how it requires batteries. Also, you make the juice, then add it to a bottle of untreated water. That requires a lot of trust. How do you know for sure it's working? I like user error free tools, especially when it comes to basic needs such as drinking water. In a SHTF scenario, I'd be asking myself "did I fuck this up?" "God help me I hope I did this right.." as I drink the water from that thing.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Twisted Titan
9th August 2012, 08:57 PM
I have a Berkey that I bought back maybe 4 years ago - thanks to the same Berkey salesman on GIM (RIP), no doubt. I've never used it. I can't imagine buying the more expensive filters (because I am quite frugal), but maybe I was convinced that the black ones were the way to go. I guess I'll have to dig it out and see if I have have ceramic or black filters.

Thanks for the heads up, Twisted Titan!

I can gurantee to the ones you have a garbage because that was around the exact time i bought mines and i got my units from the exact same fellow.

Twisted Titan
9th August 2012, 08:58 PM
I was looking over a Amazon and it appears that the old white ceramic ones have better reviews............ are those made by a different company???

midnight rambler
9th August 2012, 09:02 PM
How do you know for sure it's working?

How do you know for sure your hand pump water filter is working, or that you haven't contaminated that which you've run thru the filter?

If you have bothered to watch the video, then you'd know how to *positively* check to see it you got the job done (on the first treatment) - unlike any hand pump filters. The MIOX device has been used extensively in the sandbox - if it wasn't working out we'd know that by now, don't ya think?

slowbell
9th August 2012, 09:12 PM
How do you know for sure your hand pump water filter is working, or that you haven't contaminated that which you've run thru the filter?

If you have bothered to watch the video, then you'd know how to *positively* check to see it you got the job done (on the first treatment) - unlike any hand pump filters. The MIOX device has been used extensively in the sandbox - if it wasn't working out we'd know that by now, don't ya think?

I watched the video, the gal is pretty darn cute too. I just think it's complicated. It's hard to screw up a simple hand pump filter, or even a solar distiller.

What happens if you don't put enough salt in there? Or the batteries are not charged enough? How can you tell if the solution created will kill everything in your water?

If there's some way to screw things up, I'll end up doing it. Then read the fine print on page 2389 in the manual, what I did 'wrong'. I need something simple, idiot proof, when it comes to basic life needs, such as water purification. I just don't trust that magic wand device, that's it.

midnight rambler
9th August 2012, 09:29 PM
How can you tell if the solution created will kill everything in your water?

You use the test strips...hello? Apparently you were checking out the chick (she isn't that good looking anyway) instead of watching how to use the MIOX device. If you get a bad indication with the test strip then you simply treat that batch again. The amount of rock salt in it is plenty for many single uses, is extremely easy to check to see it the rock salt is low, and a supply of rock salt is included with the kit. There is a 'Replace batteries' indicator light on the MIOX pen as well as a 'low salt' indicator light (how much more user friendly can it possibly get?? ???). Reports are that one can get about 4 dozen 2L treatments from a pair of batteries, and since they are CR123 LiIon batteries they have an extremely good shelf life. Anyone who cannot figure this simple device out (considering the 'replace batteries' indicator and the extremely easy way of checking the rock salt level along with having the safety test strips) is in a world of hurt in an emergency.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
9th August 2012, 11:08 PM
Then a Berkey salesman who was on GIM debated with me and said that they only claim it reduced nitrates so any reduction fits that and is not a lie. It is a lie though because they claim that their filters produce pure water which it is not pure at all.

Good tasting water doesn't mean shit.

I remember the poster and I specifically remember this happening. It sucks that you you had to go through that.

mick silver
11th August 2012, 12:26 PM
i have clean my Ceramic Water Filters four times so far and they are find . i dont think you can clean the black one . i have never heard of that ... PF-2 fluoride filters with the British Berkefeld ceramic with PF-4.

mick silver
11th August 2012, 12:33 PM
http://www.getberkey.com/4-british-berkefeld-supersterasyl-7-ceramic-water-filters/ ... the black one have been around for 10 years the white for over 150 years what i was told here ..............

mick silver
11th August 2012, 12:39 PM
British Berkefeld filters use the age-old process of micro-porous filtration used by nature coupled with modern state-of-the-art technology and the highest quality materials to produce one of the finest water filtration systems available anywhere. At the core of the sub-micron ceramic filter is the most basic of elements: Diatomaceous Earth. This is the same substance, which artisans refine into exquisite porcelain and pottery. The microscopic pores of the ceramic filter element make it an extremely efficient filter for the reduction of particulate matter, pathogenic bacteria and fine sediment from water. Minute particulate matter will quickly plug media style filters, but the ceramics have the added benefit of being re-cleanable and re-useable. The Super Sterasyl element, used in Berkey systems, utilizes the latest technological advances of ceramic filtration by incorporating pure silver impregnation into the porous ceramic shell to inhibit the growth of bacteria. Furthermore, the Super Sterasyl ceramic filter elements contain activated carbon, which reduces unwanted chemical and organic compounds from the water while also improving taste. Each filter can be cleaned many, many times before needing replacement. If using tap water, the filters will normally only need to be cleaned every 6 months. You will know when your filters need to be cleaned when the filtration rate slows down. To clean, simply rub the filters with a scotch-brite pad under running water

mick silver
11th August 2012, 12:46 PM
at the time i wish i had got this one for the money with the Ceramic Water Filters ... Crown Berkey Water Filter System - 6 Gallons ... http://www.getberkey.com/crown-berkey-water-filter-system-6-gallons/

Golden
11th August 2012, 05:16 PM
Aqua Rain in daily use here with extra elements set aside. No personal home testing done for verification. R/O system in the near future. I don't like all the plastic used in R/O systems though...

Twisted Titan
11th August 2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.getberkey.com/4-british-berkefeld-supersterasyl-7-ceramic-water-filters/ ... the black one have been around for 10 years the white for over 150 years what i was told here ..............

I am getting confused on all the different heights some are 4,7,9 and 10 inches and I notice that the 10 in is named Doulton which is the name of the person who actually invented them.

slowbell
11th August 2012, 09:48 PM
Aqua Rain in daily use here with extra elements set aside. No personal home testing done for verification. R/O system in the near future. I don't like all the plastic used in R/O systems though...

I think one of the neatest water makers is those air ones, just plug it in, no plumbing, only a filter to change every 6 months, and you have all the water you can drink. R/O systems can get complicated, and lot's of maintenance and they can fail.

http://www.islandsky.com/products/home-and-office-water-making-machine

Twisted Titan
11th August 2012, 10:00 PM
I think one of the neatest water makers is those air ones, just plug it in, no plumbing, only a filter to change every 6 months, and you have all the water you can drink. R/O systems can get complicated, and lot's of maintenance and they can fail.

http://www.islandsky.com/products/home-and-office-water-making-machine

Nice concept but that wont work in a dry climate like arizona and similar states

slowbell
11th August 2012, 10:10 PM
Nice concept but that wont work in a dry climate like arizona and similar states

Very true, the other downside is the power requirements, and the initial cost. Those systems are quite expensive. I'd get one for my boat though if I could reasonably handle the power it needs. You'd need either a generator, or a big battery bank/solar, to power it. I still think it's really cool though. :)

slowbell
11th August 2012, 10:40 PM
While we are on the topic of obtaining fresh drinking water, fog collection nets are pretty amazing. You need to be in the right environment for this though, but it requires no power, no filters, just the nature around you. I have a half-assed design for a fog net/sail to be hoisted on a boat, it just needs the right material/mesh to be found for it to work. Just don't have the time or money to try it out, to build it, perhaps in the future though.

There's whole cities that get all their drinking water supplied by fog nets. Incredible idea, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDc6oqz9DEs&

Blink
12th August 2012, 07:28 AM
I bought a couple of these for "SHTF". Basic, cheap, easy to move and extra filters. I'm good............

http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/emergency-preparedness/products/just-water-complete-bucket-system

The filtration efficiency is 0.2 micron

Removal capabilities as follows:

>99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
>99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
>95% Chlorine and Chloramines
>99% Taste
>99% Odor
>98% Aluminum
>96% Iron
>98% Lead
>90% Pesticides
>85% Herbicides
>85% Insecticides
>90% Rodenticides
>85% Phenols
>85% mtbe
>85% Perchlorate
>80% Trihalomethanes
>95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
>99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
>99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>100% Giardia Lamblia
>100% Cyclospora
>100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)
>100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
>100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
>99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

Product is silver impregnated

and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

Performance Features:

Easy installation
Good flow rate / 14 to 17 gallons a day (gravity flow)
Up to 60-70 gallons per day (pressure flow)
Filter will accept water from floods, lake, rain, well, tap, river or stream
Semi/Annual filter replacement Cleansable with clean damp cloth
Shelf life is extended by shaking filter every 3-4 months to loosen media inside and prevent packing
Once in use, filter will last 6-8 months
just water, 669 Scenic Ranch Circle, Fairview tx 972-886-0263 e-mail: justwater4u@yahoo.com

big country
12th August 2012, 08:02 AM
Blink, how big around is the base of the dome filter? Would one or two fit in a berkey?

Also their "pressurized" filter system is really neat and useful.

Blink
12th August 2012, 05:36 PM
Blink, how big around is the base of the dome filter? Would one or two fit in a berkey?

Also their "pressurized" filter system is really neat and useful.

The base when set properly in the bottom of the bucket is 3 1/2 inches in diameter. The hole at the bottom is 1/2 inch (bottom of the top bucket where it fits through).

Sorry, don't know anything on how the filter would fit into a berkley..........

Steal
12th August 2012, 08:11 PM
man. have a box of 6 black berkley filters set back. Have been using for a few years , just tap water, only cleaned once, no problems. Got the above from monolithic few years back also, their site has improved much. Only paid $20 per also, less the bucket and spigot. Back to the drawing board. If its not one thing its another.

mick silver
13th August 2012, 07:06 AM
T T call the number in the link i gave you and talk to the guy he may clear alot of stuff up for you

JDRock
13th August 2012, 07:42 AM
Depends on how thirsty you plan on being.

:)

Lifestraw = capacity of 264 gallons

Katadyn = capacity of 13,000 gallons

That said, I've heard of the Lifestraws before, and for the price, it still wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a couple around.
more of THESE kind of posts ^^ great thread btw....

big country
13th August 2012, 07:48 AM
The base when set properly in the bottom of the bucket is 3 1/2 inches in diameter. The hole at the bottom is 1/2 inch (bottom of the top bucket where it fits through).

Sorry, don't know anything on how the filter would fit into a berkley..........

Is there a threaded stem that sticks down through the bucket, then a nut secures it from the bottom side?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if it will fit in my berkey. I like the .2 micron aspect of it (the candles seem to be .9 micron).

Blink
13th August 2012, 07:51 AM
Is there a threaded stem that sticks down through the bucket, then a nut secures it from the bottom side?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if it will fit in my berkey. I like the .2 micron aspect of it (the candles seem to be .9 micron).

Yeah, it fits through the bottom of the top bucket, then through the lid of the bottom one (attaches the two together). Threaded stem with nut and washers.

Heimdhal
13th August 2012, 08:15 AM
Yeah, it fits through the bottom of the top bucket, then through the lid of the bottom one (attaches the two together). Threaded stem with nut and washers.

I think I may get one to put in my berkey (plug existing holes, drill new center hole). They seem like they actualy work.

Im debating bewteen that and just replacing my berkey blacks with the white ceramic.

big country
13th August 2012, 09:07 AM
Heim,
Don't you think two would fit in the berkey? I have 4 holes in mine and two are plugged. At only 3.5" diameter I think two would fit straight across from each other (I have a royal berkey). I of course need to measure and I'm not at home where the berkey is.

Berkey makes plugs for the holes, you can probably get them through them if that is your intention. My 4 hole berkey came with only 2 elements so 2 plugs were included as well.

Heimdhal
13th August 2012, 10:44 AM
I have the berkey light, two may fit, I'll have to measure. Seems like one gives a pretty high output though, but I guess two would be even better. We rarley run our berkey dry.

As for plugging the holes, the rubber bung plugs can be bought anywhere, like acehardware, etc, so thats not as big of an issue.

I dont like the 6-8 month shelf life, of the dome filters, other than that though, they seem good. Thats the only reason Im debating over the white berkey ceramics.

Blink
13th August 2012, 05:09 PM
I have the berkey light, two may fit, I'll have to measure. Seems like one gives a pretty high output though, but I guess two would be even better. We rarley run our berkey dry.

As for plugging the holes, the rubber bung plugs can be bought anywhere, like acehardware, etc, so thats not as big of an issue.

I dont like the 6-8 month shelf life, of the dome filters, other than that though, they seem good. Thats the only reason Im debating over the white berkey ceramics.

Its 6-8 months once you start using it. I think I read it has 3 year (?) on the shelf. You just have to keep shaking it to stop it from bunching together every few months...........

Shami-Amourae
17th September 2012, 11:07 AM
I recently tested the water coming out of my Berkey Light. The filters were pretty much at the end of their age as indicated by the manufacturer. So I decided to test the PPM (Parts Per Million) levels. I measured this during the nighttime.

Distilled Water (Control #1): 0 ppm
Tap Water (Control #2): 384 ppm
Berkey Water: 364 ppm

So I changed out to a new Berkey filter set and the PF2 fluoride filters. I ran water through each PF2 filter for 5 minutes to make sure they were clear. I filled the tank several times, and measured the PPM each time to see what would happen. Each of the numbers below is a different tank filling to the top:

454 ppm
323 ppm
329 ppm
345 ppm
366 ppm
374 ppm
378 ppm
373 ppm

I stopped testing after 8 fillings of the tank since it seemed to finally level off. I don't get why the PPM got worse and worse, but I recently measured the PPM of my tap water again and got a measure of 400 ppm (during the morning, same time as filling #8.) So the PPM fluctuates over time for our tap water. I suppose that means my above readings are off. I probably should keep measuring it in correlation to the tap water's changing PPM.

Draw your own conclusions from this data. What this all means is my old filters removed only 20 ppm of "whatever". The new filters removed 27 ppm.

That's it? Seriously? I wonder if this is how bad its supposed to be. The way they advertise the Berkey, it's supposed to remove 99% of this and that. Maybe though that the 27 ppm it removes is all the bad stuff it advertises, and the good stuff that it "leaves behind" is the rest? My results might be misleading if this is the case. I really don't know.

MNeagle
17th September 2012, 11:25 AM
What type of testing equipment do you have? Perhaps it isn't what Berkey utilizes...

Thanks for the results, I'm wondering if I should reorder filters or not; hoping the OP issues are resolved by now ... or will I be shipped defective product?

Shami-Amourae
17th September 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm using a TDS EZ meter. I was making colloidal silver, and had it out. It basically just measures parts per million of whatever is in the water. I was thinking about my Berkey, and said "What the hell."

http://www.tdsmeter.com/tools/product_detail/files/0002.jpg

I'm still considering getting a fluoride test kit, but they cost like $70 or something.

sirgonzo420
17th September 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm using a TDS EZ meter. I was making colloidal silver, and had it out. It basically just measures parts per million of whatever is in the water. I was thinking about my Berkey, and said "What the hell."

I'm still considering getting a fluoride test kit, but they cost like $70 or something.

That's a slick little doo-dad.... I'm putting one in my Amazon cart!

Neuro
18th September 2012, 01:08 AM
I was just thinking of making a combination water filter/ cooler by using clay pots, you use a smaller thin clay pot as a lid/filter to a larger clay pot, you fill in water that needs filtration in the lid filter pot and let it drop down into the larger pot, use a larger pot outside that and in between you keep moist sand that you tap up with water from time to time. It is like a combination of a gravity filter, and the clay pot "fridge", so you have access to cool clean water at all time at a very low cost and no electricity requirements. Have a couple of the filter pots, so you can let them dry out regularly, to prevent algae and bacterial growth.

It should be unglazed clay pots of course!

big country
18th September 2012, 09:09 AM
I recently tested the water coming out of my Berkey Light. The filters were pretty much at the end of their age as indicated by the manufacturer. So I decided to test the PPM (Parts Per Million) levels. I measured this during the nighttime.

So I changed out to a new Berkey filter set and the PF2 fluoride filters. I ran water through each PF2 filter for 5 minutes to make sure they were clear. I filled the tank several times, and measured the PPM each time to see what would happen. Each of the numbers below is a different tank filling to the top:

454 ppm
323 ppm
329 ppm
345 ppm
366 ppm
374 ppm
378 ppm
373 ppm

I stopped testing after 8 fillings of the tank since it seemed to finally level off. I don't get why the PPM got worse and worse, but I recently measured the PPM of my tap water again and got a measure of 400 ppm (during the morning, same time as filling #8.) So the PPM fluctuates over time for our tap water. I suppose that means my above readings are off. I probably should keep measuring it in correlation to the tap water's changing PPM.

Draw your own conclusions from this data. What this all means is my old filters removed only 20 ppm of "whatever". The new filters removed 27 ppm.

That's it? Seriously? I wonder if this is how bad its supposed to be. The way they advertise the Berkey, it's supposed to remove 99% of this and that. Maybe though that the 27 ppm it removes is all the bad stuff it advertises, and the good stuff that it "leaves behind" is the rest? My results might be misleading if this is the case. I really don't know.

You don't really expect a mechanical filter to remove DISSOLVED solids (TDS = Total Dissolved Solids) do you?

Wiki definition of TDS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_dissolved_solids

Generally the operational definition is that the solids must be small enough to survive filtration through a sieve the size of two micrometer.

Steal
18th September 2012, 11:45 AM
you know, I never really thought of it that way. Something about drinking dissolved solids just sounds....gross.

Large Sarge
18th September 2012, 11:53 AM
I have not read all the posts in this thread, so if this is a duplicate, I apologize

But I use doulton Gravity water filters

Shami-Amourae
30th September 2012, 11:01 AM
So today I was drinking water from my Berkey Light and I noticed it tasted chemically like the shit out of my tap. I went and tested the ppm of the water and matched it with the tap and the tap was actually cleaner than the Berkey water. I then tested the Berkey using the food coloring test. I added red food coloring to the Berkey and....well all the red water went through. Geez. So I dediced to take it apart and check if the filters were fastened tightly against the surface of the Berkey Light. When I went to test it this happened:

http://gold-silver.us/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3772&d=1349027872

Yep, the filter fell apart. You can see where it is glued. Absolutely useless. The filter didn't last 2 weeks (maybe less) and it fell apart. What the Hell man? What do I do now?!

Shami-Amourae
30th September 2012, 11:50 AM
I'm going to seriously look into portable reverse osmosis now. Does anyone know any good systems they can recommend? There seems to be a lot of options.

I just put some duct tape over the other hole (is that a good idea?) and hoping that will be a good quick fix so I can just use one filter while I come up with a new water filtration system.

Blink
1st October 2012, 07:31 PM
I bought one of these a few years back. Not only filters my water, but, alkalizes it too.........

http://www.waterionizer.org/site/898596/product/JW002

using this filter.

http://www.waterionizer.org/site/898596/product/JWF02

It pretty much all I drink. The filters last me about a year (on average)

Neuro
2nd October 2012, 01:33 AM
Here is a web page showing how to make a sand water filter, which is really natures way of creating clean drinking water. Probably the best method is to collect rainwater from a corrugated metal roof. Should cost less than hundred dollars to build, and be able to create all the clean water you need. Seems like it can last a very long time with very little maintenance...

http://en.howtopedia.org/wiki/How_to_Filter_Water_with_a_Sand_Filter

Shami-Amourae
2nd October 2012, 05:33 AM
I tried to return the broken filter, and basically they had it setup to where it was more expensive to return it and get it replaced than if I had just bought a new one. Seems really fucked up to me since most people bulk purchase these filters. I really hate this company now. I can't trust anything they make now. Basically they expect you to have to test all their filters yourself and if one doesn't work IMMEDIATELY, then you can send it back and get it replaced for a fee. The longer you wait the more you have to pay to get it back. Berkey knows they have a huge batch of filters from late December 2010 that are faulty, but don't make an exception for this. No, "it's the customers fault". They won't even admit there's a large batch from "some company" that are faulty, which is how the retailer I bought it from put it. It's "not us", so it's "not our responsibility".

So anyway I bought a countertop reverse osmosis system. I plugged one of the holes in my Berkey Light with duct tape, but I don't know if that's a good idea. It seems to be holding currently. I'm thinking now its gonna be best to have reverse osmosis as the main water filtration and having a gravity fed one as a backup, SHTF system. I wouldn't drink rain water here since the radiation is off the charts.

iOWNme
2nd October 2012, 05:44 AM

454 ppm
323 ppm
329 ppm
345 ppm
366 ppm
374 ppm
378 ppm
373 ppm

I have been testing my tap water for over 5 years. It has ranged from 120ppm to over 450ppm. The city water supply is not exactly consistent when it comes to this measurement.

The distilled water i get from my local store ranges from 0ppm to about 30ppm.

It would interesting to test actual river or lake water (natural) for a comparison.

Shami-Amourae
2nd October 2012, 06:08 AM
Another little thing about the Berkey filters. By default they give you one of these rubber washer rings that you are supposed to put on the dirty water side of the filter to seal the filter with the body of the Berkey:
http://www.naturesalternatives.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/600x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/p/spare_parts_BK_lg_2.jpg

I noticed when I was testing my single working Berkey filter that it was still leaking (food coloring added), so I added a second of these rubber washers rings to the bottom of it as tightened the wing nut against it:

After that the water finally filtered properly with no leaks. The Berkey system requires you use just 1 washer, but this WILL leak apparently. So make sure to use 2 if you still have a Berkey system, JUST IN CASE.

I hope what I said makes sense, but I'm trying to help.

big country
2nd October 2012, 11:14 AM
I've only ever used one and mine seals fine (in a stainless berkey though!).
I only have issues when my filters fall apart just like your did. That exactly what has happened to mine. I'm using Doulton filters now and they seem to be OK.

Twisted Titan
2nd October 2012, 04:38 PM
I am using white ceramic filters for my berky now.

They appear to be okay

I will be getting flouride filters for them and get a few more.

I will never by another black berkey element every again

Shami-Amourae
2nd October 2012, 04:52 PM
I am using white ceramic filters for my berky now.

They appear to be okay

I will be getting flouride filters for them and get a few more.

I will never by another black berkey element every again

I heard they corrected this issue in September 2011 with a new design. I gonna get the Reverse Osmosis system in the mail sometime and let you guys know how that goes.

vacuum
3rd November 2012, 11:44 PM

Got one of these and did some testing today. Here are the results:

Distilled water: 1 ppm
From refrigerator filter: 43 ppm
From tap (well water): 37 ppm
From stream outside: 7 ppm
From rain water runoff: 5 ppm

Maybe I should start drinking from the stream instead of the refrigerator filter.

Either way, it looks really good:

http://www.tdsmeter.com/img/tdsgraph.gif

Shami-Amourae
4th November 2012, 01:36 PM
That's unusually low all around. You must live somewhere very rural.

Twisted Titan
4th November 2012, 02:03 PM
I heard they corrected this issue in September 2011 with a new design. I gonna get the Reverse Osmosis system in the mail sometime and let you guys know how that goes.

They can kiss my silver @$$ they have broken faith by cutting corners

The ceramics are the Original Design by Mr.Doulton.

I will stick with the tried and true. I just washed mine recently and the seals are intact Even after a through scrubbing.

The ceramics are the ones still used by large swaths of develop countries.

That is good enough for me

vacuum
4th November 2012, 03:53 PM

Within commuting distance of seattle

vacuum
5th November 2012, 08:21 AM

Hm, pretty much all of seattle is really good, as in below 50. Check out this website:

http://www.zerowater.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=23&Itemid=9

try zip 98103

steel_ag
8th November 2012, 07:51 PM

away from the Roundup?

Steal
18th August 2013, 03:40 PM
been looking for filters to fit in to my berkey

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&page=ReplacementDoulton

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&page=WaterFilters

http://www.emergency-h2o.com/Berkey-Replacement-2X10-inch-Candle.html

edit: found another alternative
http://www.propur-water-filter.com/?utm_source=survivalist&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=forumstore

Cebu_4_2
18th August 2013, 04:26 PM
Hm, pretty much all of seattle is really good, as in below 50. Check out this website:

http://www.zerowater.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=23&Itemid=9

try zip 98103

this link will work: http://www.zerowater.com/tds.aspx

I wouldn't drink any outdoor water without a purification system. Just think about all the shit they spray in the sky, that stuff settles.

Glass
18th August 2013, 04:57 PM
my preference is for the 10" candles rather than the 7". I think the flow rate for the 10" is slower or longer, eitherway than the 7 which seems to filter water maybe 1/3 faster. I don't feel that it is quite as well filtered. Can't get 10" candles here in Oz. I bought a bunch of replacement filters from a local supplier. I didn't realise there were 2 different sizes. Got one more set 7" to go but will have to get some 10" shipped to me.