PDA

View Full Version : Citing a cost of labor increase, Nike raises price of basketball shoes to $315

AndreaGail
21st August 2012, 08:38 PM
Here is the shoe that will be sure to have the welfare lines abuzz

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/f3aDCwv8kAy22W1g36B93Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnbaexperts/A-look-at-Nikes-new-LeBron-X-set-to-hit-stores-this-fall.-Image-via-www.lebronjames.com_.jpg
::)

Citing the rising costs of labor in China, of materials like cotton and of shipping, Nike is reportedly going to raise prices on its sneakers by between 5 percent and 10 percent this fall, according to the Wall Street Journal's Shelly Banjo. The across-the-board increase will result in a $5 bump on low-end kicks like the Converse Chuck Taylor All-Stars (the choice of Dan Devine since round about 1999) and a somewhat steeper price tag on the Oregon apparel giant's higher-end items, including the forthcoming LeBron X, the 10th edition of LeBron James' signature sneaker.
James unveiled the LeBron X — which are "inspired, both aesthetically and metaphorically, by the diamond, a precious and nearly indestructible gemstone," according to NikeBlog — during Team USA's gold-medal win over Spain at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. The hotly anticipated signature shoe will hit the market this fall in two models: the standard version, which will retail at $180 a pair, and the LeBron X Nike Plus, which will include the company's Nike+ technology, built around embedded pressure/motion sensors that track and store data on stuff like how much/how far/how fast a player moves during a game or workout, or how high he/she jumped on a dunk.

The model's going to run you $315, making it the most expensive pair of sneakers Nike's ever brought to market, according to Banjo. And while the sneakerhead community's known what the LeBron X will cost for nearly a month now five months now (shouts to CounterKicks), the WSJ report brought the news to the world at large, sparking notices in financial notes columns and business-specific news sites, and even on National Public Radio. The general tenor of such outsider discussion of the price point — which, again, is the going rate just for the high-tech, Nike+-infused model, and not the regular shoes, which will cost $180, or $10 more than last year's LeBron 9 — has been characterized by surprise and, in some places, dismay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/special-edition-lebron-james-signature-nikes-cost-315-174556161--nba.html

Skirnir_
21st August 2012, 08:43 PM
Fools and their money. Even my fur boots did not cost $315.

Twisted Titan
21st August 2012, 11:11 PM
I wonder how good they will taste with salt sprinkled on them ..........when that is the only thing left to eat?

Shami-Amourae
22nd August 2012, 01:03 AM
Now in grape and watermelon flavors!

midnight rambler
22nd August 2012, 05:15 AM
'The cost of labor in China is up..." - how funny. The other day I found some very comfortable leather tennis/running shoes at Costco (Costco Kirkland brand) for $15/pair. But I can definitely see the quality and value in those Nike kicks - they're AWESOME!!! lol

k-os
22nd August 2012, 06:08 AM
Clown shoes.

beefsteak
22nd August 2012, 06:40 AM
Now in grape and watermelon flavors!

That is tasteless and offensive, Shami-Amourae. What gives with you anyway? Snobbish criticism of undgrd's Sunday cooking thread last Sunday--so over the top and hurtful, everyone noticed. AND everyone noticed she locked it when she shared again this Sunday.

And she only put up a couple pix, darn. I'm surprised she came back at all and posted anything about Sunday dinner.

Guess you have no people of color cooking staff in your entire career, huh. Or did you get "Chopped" and lose out on $10K last time the cooking channel was in your town?

Don't you have anything nice to say about anyone, regardless of skin color?

beefsteak

beefsteak
22nd August 2012, 06:42 AM
I wonder how good they will taste with salt sprinkled on them ..........when that is the only thing left to eat?

Now, THAT was funny.....and quite perspicacious! Good one, Titan!

beefsteak

Heimdhal
22nd August 2012, 12:42 PM
Clown shoes.

Guess I'll just return that pair I bought you as a wedding present. General wont be happy you cant shoot hoops with him now. :(

;)

mamboni
22nd August 2012, 01:02 PM
Who are they kidding? Instead of costing $5 to make a pair, they'll now cost $5.50! Two thousand years ago it was Panem et Circenses to placate the mob. In the 21st Century, it's Sneakers and Snap-cards!

beefsteak
22nd August 2012, 01:06 PM
Could pry off the gold swoosh and return them as defective. K-os would find something to do with that swoosh me thinks.

iOWNme
22nd August 2012, 01:11 PM
Did anyone actually read the article?

the LeBron X Nike Plus, which will include the company's Nike+ technology, built around embedded pressure/motion sensors that track and store data on stuff like how much/how far/how fast a player moves during a game or workout, or how high he/she jumped on a dunk.

Do the sports crazed fanatics see what this REALLY is? Of course not.

The NWO has inserted spy chips/RFID into every single thing that has to do with entertainment. Next up, your unborn......

k-os
22nd August 2012, 05:01 PM
Did anyone actually read the article?

Do the sports crazed fanatics see what this REALLY is? Of course not.

The NWO has inserted spy chips/RFID into every single thing that has to do with entertainment. Next up, your unborn......

I have a friend that's had her fancy running shoes hooked up to some weird chip that goes into her iPhone for a couple of years now. She's also the friend that has told me "I just don't want to know about those kinds of things" when I try to talk to her about the real world.

Some people can't comprehend what's happening (overload), and some people just don't want to.

willie pete
22nd August 2012, 07:39 PM
Who are they kidding? Instead of costing $5 to make a pair, they'll now cost $5.50! Two thousand years ago it was Panem et Circenses to placate the mob. In the 21st Century, it's Sneakers and Snap-cards!

that's what I wore back in the day, white high-top converse....Long before they were popular

Shami-Amourae
22nd August 2012, 07:45 PM

Hehe, that was made by one of my business competitors.