PDA

View Full Version : Let's make Labor day check your preps day

General of Darkness
3rd September 2012, 11:56 AM
So I just started up the generator and figure on running it for about 20 minutes to make sure everything is working. I did notice that the tank is full so I'm going to get some fuel stabilizer.

Next I'm going to do an inventor of the food and ammo and break down the fire arms and re-oil them.

So Labor Day = Check your preps day for me.

For Ponce

http://hercmerc.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/always-be-prepared.jpg%3Fw%3D550%26h%3D425

gunDriller
3rd September 2012, 12:39 PM
i'm short on cash.

THEORETICALLY, i think it's wise to have in your possession 6 months to 1 year's worth of cash (as in FRN's, not Gold) to cover your expenses.

but whenever i have cash it gets spent on other things.

darn boating accidents. when my Father told me not to chop wood in a canoe, he knew what he was talking about. :)

other than that, i am working around the edges, a detail at a time.

i have about 100 pounds of grain that got a moth infestation. i gave it 48 hours at about 180 F, figured that would kill the bugs.

i brought it back inside - left the bags open a few days ... SHIT, now i have to put them back in the sterilizer/ solar oven.

anyway, now i got some good construction bags to store it in, after i get it re-sterilized.

Lectricity wise - is $260 a good price for a DC to AC inverter that will do 1250 watts continuous, 2000 peak ?

it's a choice between the Tripp-lite 1250 & some other one, about 900 watts continuous for $70 @ Amazon.

i already got the solar panels & one car battery.

beefsteak
3rd September 2012, 12:47 PM
gunny,
about that DC -->AC inverter, depends upon what your use is. DC inversion produces heat considerably higher than the human hand can touch, approx 118F. So, there is placement and heat removal considerations to take into account.

Anything I've ever seen rated over 90w has a miniature fan in it, at least that I've handled over the years. If so, logic dictates some of the power ratings are overstated simply because the internal fan siphons off wattage. Continuous is another way of saying hot hot hot.

Is the Tripp-lite a true sine wave inverter? If so, you have something that will keep your electronics humming instead of shortening their individual lives.

That's about it in my understanding of these things experientially. I wish I knew more. I'll be interested in the other responses you surely will get.

beefsteak

Sparky
3rd September 2012, 12:50 PM
I draw down a bit on my preps through the summer (just to keep things cycled) and then start ramping up after Labor Day going into winter, which is the biggest risk season here in the Northeast in terms of potential disruption to the supply chain. So Labor Day seems like a good choice for an annual prep evaluation.

gunDriller
3rd September 2012, 02:02 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120281
$261
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/12-120-281-02.jpg

~ Versus ~

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Bright-PW1100-12-Inverter-1100/dp/B000NIG2FG
$70
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tFeXHo5xL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

zap
3rd September 2012, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=beefsteak;570043]gunny,
about that DC -->AC inverter, depends upon what your use is. DC inversion produces heat considerably higher than the human hand can touch, approx 118F. So, there is placement and heat removal considerations to take into account.

Anything I've ever seen rated over 90w has a miniature fan in it, at least that I've handled over the years. If so, logic dictates some of the power ratings are overstated simply because the internal fan siphons off wattage. Continuous is another way of saying hot hot hot.

Is the Tripp-lite a true sine wave inverter? If so, you have something that will keep your electronics humming instead of shortening their individual lives.

That's about it in my understanding of these things experientially. I wish I knew more. I'll be interested in the other responses you surely will get.

beefsteak[/QUOTE

True to a certain extent, I am exclusively on solar, the inverter on the wall is a Trace sine wave 48 volt, the one in the box is a trace also, they renamed it, xantrex trace anyhow the internal fan only comes on when I am using the generator to charge the batteries, and only after a while,the mechanical room gets pretty hot, its prolly 90 in there right now and no fan is running, that is the reason I bought a new inverter cause one of the internal fans isn't working, I actually had a small fan that I hung in front of the inverter when I was using the generator to charge the batteries, and if you pay attention to power and making it, small fans don't take that many amps.

edit to add; I think the 1250 is a continuous load and the 2000 is kinda like a start up load, I don't know if I make sense explaining it like that.

gunDriller
3rd September 2012, 06:09 PM
edit to add; I think the 1250 is a continuous load and the 2000 is kinda like a start up load, I don't know if I make sense explaining it like that.

yes, perfect sense.

that heat sounds like a good heat source for the winter-time, if there's days when it's sunny. just need a vent/duct from the electronics room to the living space - unless the inverter is in the living space.

ImaCannin
3rd September 2012, 06:17 PM
i'm short

i have about 100 pounds of grain that got a moth infestation. i gave it 48 hours at about 180 F, figured that would kill the bugs.

Why would you heat it to 180 degrees? Wont that make the grain go rancid faster? Why not freeze the bags of grain when you get them for a few days then take it out and put it in your storage buckets with oxy absorbers?
Just askin?

gunDriller
4th September 2012, 05:39 AM
Why would you heat it to 180 degrees? Wont that make the grain go rancid faster? Why not freeze the bags of grain when you get them for a few days then take it out and put it in your storage buckets with oxy absorbers?
Just askin?

Oh. NOW you tell me :)