PDA

View Full Version : So WTF is up with Tide laundry detergent thefts???

midnight rambler
5th September 2012, 10:07 PM
I was just talking with a business associate on the phone and he tried telling me about this 'Tide laundry detergent shortage'. I was going WTF are you talking about?? He tried telling me about how there's people buying Tide laundry detergent and taking it into Mexico to sell. Again I asked him WTH are you talking about?!?!? He didn't have all his facts straight, but apparently there's 'something' to this 'Tide laundry detergent thefts'. If you're like me, you're asking yourself if I've lost my mind.

So I do a 'net search for 'Tide detergent thefts'. What I find is VERY curious - I scanned 100 search results for the posting/reporting date. Roughly 90% of them were posted online the week of March 12, '12. I found ONE which was posted in mid-February, and one each posted in May and June. I think there was one or two posted in early April. And then there was a lone news posted of a couple of guys getting sentenced in mid August for theft of Tide laundry detergent. It's like the subject matter went viral in mid-March last spring and then just dropped off the radar.

And I gotta tell ya, this strikes me as very weird and very anomalous - as if it was NOT spontaneous and organic, as in this was a 'created' (perhaps by P&G and/or its agent(s)?) phenomenon which popped into existence in mid-March and then just as quickly evaporated.

If anyone has any opinions on the 'Tide laundry detergent thefts' I'd love to hear 'em. I find it all just very, very weird. Trading bottles of Tide detergent for drugs?? ??? That's some crazy shit right there.

General of Darkness
5th September 2012, 10:17 PM
OT - I've been having non-stop dejavu over the past 48 hours including this thread title. I've never experienced anything like this in my entire life.

learn2swim
5th September 2012, 10:21 PM
I heard about this about a year ago, no idea why it's going on. But, I make my own anyways, and it's way cheaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfEJHb5lfds

midnight rambler
5th September 2012, 10:32 PM
OT - I've been having non-stop dejavu over the past 48 hours including this thread title. I've never experienced anything like this in my entire life.

Time is an illusion which keeps us from seeing that everything happens all at once. Perhaps you've broken through to the other side.

Twisted Titan
5th September 2012, 10:41 PM
I think I vaguely remember the price for it was going up like cigarettes and somebody got the idea to start selling on the "black market"

I just dismissed it as overal price inflation.

Ponce
5th September 2012, 10:51 PM
I only use the ones from the $ store.......for a dollar you can wash about 60 loads, it says 46 on the bottle but that's when people use to much of it, use only half of what they tell you to use..........I have around 50-60 containers in stock and the same for the Palmolive dish washer liquid.............how to wash your clothing, water-clothes-detergent...run it on cycle one and then turn the machine off for about half an hour, this will allowed to soften any stain of heavy dirt in the clothing...start from the beggining once again and run the comple cycle.

For the dishes and pots?.....my dog will spot clean them and then I wash them really good with a rag and soapy hot water.

milehi
5th September 2012, 11:13 PM
Mix your own.Three parts each, borax, baking soda, washing soda. One part grated hard bar soap. I then blend the mixture in a blender. Use a dust mask too. Use 1-2 Tb per full laundry load. Then save the MASSIVE savings on silver.

Twisted Titan
6th September 2012, 02:02 AM
I never heard of Washing soda .........care to elaborate?

chad
6th September 2012, 04:09 AM
i have a high school friend who is high up in loss control for target. he was talking about this a lot this summer. tide is super expensive, there's a large black market for it. people steal it and sell it for $.50 on the dollar.

Glass
6th September 2012, 05:33 AM
I buy the stuff in bulk. Not that brand but local sold stuff. Get anything from 12 to 25kgs depending on whats going. I do half deterg half baking soda. 12Kg last more than 1 year probably longer. I think big brands cost $6 or $7 a kilo.

Golden
6th September 2012, 05:49 AM
Mix your own.Three parts each, borax, baking soda, washing soda. One part grated hard bar soap. I then blend the mixture in a blender. Use a dust mask too. Use 1-2 Tb per full laundry load. Then save the MASSIVE savings on silver.

Thank you.

What hard bar soap(s) do you use? I like these: http://puresoapworks.com/primrose.htm
Which would you avoid? Triclocarban?

k-os
6th September 2012, 05:56 AM
Maybe Tide is used for making drugs?

SLV^GLD
6th September 2012, 06:03 AM
I repeat the question; what the fuck is washing soda?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate

http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/05/08/ttt-turn-baking-soda-into-washing-soda/

mamboni
6th September 2012, 06:12 AM
There is a proprietary ingredient in TIDE made from extract of beaver anal gland juice. The juice is extremely difficult to produce in quantity. Technicians spend hours using special anal milkers on immobilized beavers extracting anal gland juice. Each beaver produces about 1 cc per day. The juice is pooled and lyophilized down to a few milligrams of fine powder. This is added to TIDE detergent at 1:10000 w/w and imparts remarkable fresh fragrance to cloths washed with it (this is why those housewifes looked so orgasmic when taking the sheets washed in TIDE off the cloths lines in those classic 1960s TV commericials). However, anal gland powder is coveted for it's powerful euphoric and psychedelic effects when snorted. So users will buy boxes of TIDE and process them with a complex extraction procedure to procure a crude concentrate high in anal gland juice extract. It's street names include "butt crack" and "beaver taint" and it's more addictive than 'crack.'

Glass
6th September 2012, 06:24 AM
Maybe Tide is used for making drugs?

I thought there was some story and a thread a couple months ago about this stuff. Something to do with snorting it or shooting it or something.

Silver Rocket Bitches!
6th September 2012, 07:26 AM
Note to self: Add Tide detergent to prep list of barter items.

Heimdhal
6th September 2012, 10:01 AM

My wife uses that exact mix herself and she loves it. Saves a fortune on laundry detergent.

As for the thefts they are either trying to save money washing clothes, are making incendiary gels, or they are reselling it.

Im going with they are reselling it....or they found a way to make meth out of it. :(

big country
6th September 2012, 10:19 AM
We use the same recipe for making our own but we also include a cup of "oxyclean" or any of its cheaper knock-offs. Which is mostly washing soda but with hydrogen peroxide added to it and dried. So we're heavy on the washing soda in the mixture but it works just fine. Its not exact science!
We use any bar of soap we happen to have around and do not disciminate. Ivory, Dial, expensive handmade stuff that was given to us, whatever...The detergent will smell like whatever the bar of soap you used smells like so pick something you love.

DMac
6th September 2012, 10:39 AM
I am sad to admit I have not tried making homemade detergent yet - thanks for the tip!

freespirit
6th September 2012, 10:56 AM
I am sad to admit I have not tried making homemade detergent yet - thanks for the tip!

...+1! i should have been doing this a long time ago!!

mamboni
6th September 2012, 11:06 AM
This book has the recipe for just about everything using generally available ingredients:

http://www.amazon.com/Fortunes-Formulas-Home-Farm-Workshop/dp/B00085KD2M

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6536374-fortunes-in-formulas-for-home-farm-and-workshop

Beaver anal gland juice is difficult to obtain, however.

freespirit
6th September 2012, 02:59 PM
...Beaver anal gland juice is difficult to obtain, however.

I bet! ;D lol

Twisted Titan
8th September 2012, 09:59 PM
This book has the recipe for just about everything using generally available ingredients:

http://www.amazon.com/Fortunes-Formulas-Home-Farm-Workshop/dp/B00085KD2M

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6536374-fortunes-in-formulas-for-home-farm-and-workshop

Thousands of recipes and formulas, for everything from cosmetics to explosives.

You have just been added to the Terrorist wacthlist my friend

milehi
8th September 2012, 10:13 PM

It was the beaver anal gland juice.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
9th September 2012, 12:09 PM

I've been doing this for a while. I spent 10$ a year ago and I'm not even close to running out. Clothes smell great, it works.

mamboni
9th September 2012, 02:00 PM

Then Amazon.com must a terrorist organization, no?