PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those just amazing experiences?

slowbell
10th September 2012, 09:49 AM
The kind that just make you appreciate life so much? One that you just will never forget that moment?

I was out at sea and relieved the captain from wheelhouse watch for a time. It was a great learning experience actually, being offshore, at the helm. As I relieved him, I checked the radar for other ships, monitored the radio, our nav computer system to ensure we remained on course. Adjusted the auto pilot, scanned the horizon, just soaked in the moment as the bow of the boat would rise peaceful over each wave. The conditions were very calm, and the water had a very rich color to it, that you only see when out in deep water.

As I was scanning the horizon, I caught a very large splash from far out. I watched, and then saw a large whale leap completely out of the water and crash back down, causing an eruption of spray on the surface of the water. His whole body was airborne. I saw the whale leap again, and then again...he launched out of the water 10 times. I finally grabbed the binoculars, and saw him playing on the surface, and then his giant fluke raised out of the water as he dove into the deep. I imagined being right next to him, and the force and power of such a large animal.

I lowered the binoculars, speechless, as if there was anyone with me to appreciate that moment anyway...I then saw the dolphins coming. Must have been over a hundred of them, all in a line, like a skirmish line, jumping out of the water. This line of dolphins was racing right at the boat, like a charging army. The line must have been over a 1/4 mile long, all dolphins. Again speechless, I stepped out of the wheel house, stood by the rail, and watch all these dolphins surround the boat. I could hear them breath as they surfaced and jumped.

It's experiences like that that I think about how amazing life really is. How under appreciated it can be as well. How small we really are in God's creation. How many folks are sweating numbers each day on Wall Street that never get to see something like that? The banks, corruption, stress, status, fakeness, in life, harming others, the dolphins don't care about that, as they play around a boat at sea, just being alive, being dolphins.

Amazing, really.

SLV^GLD
10th September 2012, 11:38 AM
Done any diving? Much more visceral when they are right next to you.

palani
10th September 2012, 01:30 PM
Keep your eyes open and your hands on the wheel. News reports today indicate tons of illegal drugs coming at the U.S. in diesel subs that operate off a snorkel the entire trip.

You don't want to run into one of these.

zap
10th September 2012, 02:13 PM
Again speechless, I stepped out of the wheel house, stood by the rail, and watch all these dolphins surround the boat. I could hear them breath as they surfaced and jumped.

Stop enjoying the wildlife and man helm Sir !!! :)

slowbell
10th September 2012, 03:28 PM
Stop enjoying the wildlife and man helm Sir !!! :)[/COLOR]

Aye aye, roger that!!

The best thing about a big ol' steel boat at sea, is if you hit something, you just have to back up, and go around it. ;D

In all seriousness, it's about vigilance. Maintaining watch at the helm is about monitoring all the equipment. The autopilot does the steering, but needs adjustment occasionally to stay on course. You can step outside for fresh air, as long as you can maintain your sight. Lot's of trying to spot targets on the radar. Most of the other ships out there were over 10 miles away. The sea is a big place.

Being at sea is a constant checking on systems. Making sure there's no water in the fuel filters, oil pressures, everything needs to be properly stowed, if something's not you learn a hard lesson. We burned over a 1000 gallons of fuel a day, incredible amounts actually, glad I didn't have to foot the bill on that!

It was a good trip. The crew, guys I worked with, were good folks and I'm grateful for the opportunity. I found I enjoyed the routine of offshore work, and hope to get more of it in the future. I sailed as an engineer, 2nd. There was a stack of playboy magazines in the engine room of the boat. That sort of pours salt in the wound when you are out there with only men in the ocean, cut off. I didn't look at the magazines, too much to do, but for the chief engineer, I quickly pulled out a different picture from those magazines so he'd see it going down into the engine room on his watch. He told me later, he got a laugh out of that.

Horn
10th September 2012, 03:55 PM
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.