PDA

View Full Version : Test for becoming a cop designed to weed out IQs over room temperature

midnight rambler
13th September 2012, 04:20 PM
I was having a conversation this afternoon with a legal beagle friend and the subject of 'tests for cops' came up. I began to relate the story of my friend wanting to become a cop and that even though as bright as he is he failed the test for becoming a cop. She interrupted me and told me of how as a close associate of hers was being discharged from county jail (for some BS charge as all of us who stand up for property rights are subject to) he happened to engage one of the S.O. deputies (a 'LEO' who was required to take 'the test') in conversation about the finer points of the law. This one particular deputy responded to this input of info with "I don't get it." Another more seasoned deputy standing nearby interjected, "I get it." To which our mutual friend said, "Then you must not have the test" to which the more seasoned deputy replied, "I got in (into 'law enforcement') before the test." My friend went on to say that these 'tests' are specifically designed to weed out anyone with an IQ above 80-90. I've known for years about the very deliberate efforts of the state to disqualify intelligent applicants for being a cop, however I was unaware of 'the test'.

And fwiw, I just briefly spoke with my good friend of many years regarding his recent episode of going through the police academy and subsequently taking 'the test'. I related the story my other friend had told me about 'the test' and then asked him what he thought about that (considering that he DEFINITELY applied himself and his is a very sharp and astute fellow). He allowed that he had not considered that angle, however he did say, "I was quite surprised (when he failed the test)." I suggested he give it further thought and then give me his impressions.

Serpo
13th September 2012, 04:30 PM
My friends daughter failed the test as she thinks for herself,thinks on her feet, they said.......its not what they want.

mamboni
13th September 2012, 05:38 PM
My old man took the NY police exam in the late 1940s and flunked it. In the army during WWII, he told me he tested an IQ 175. He said the brass begged him to enroll in officer training school (he had volunteered after Pearl Harbor). He told them no way - he wasn't interested.

Blink
13th September 2012, 05:41 PM
Just smart enough to blindly follow orders and pull triggers, but, not intelligent enough to question why...............

Serpo
13th September 2012, 05:46 PM
Just smart enough to blindly follow orders and pull triggers, but, not intelligent enough to question why...............

Basically......................

joboo
13th September 2012, 06:30 PM
You want grunts to do the grunt work. Last thing you want is someone with ideas talking to, and infecting the others.

Self awareness questions would be the focal points I imagine.

I was given a personality/aptitude thing test at work, and I outsmarted it. It couldn't grade me, and told me I had to take it over again. I actually made a screen cap to show my boss, and suggested he might have perhaps overpaid for this testing service. Surprising because at the beginning it clearly indicated there were no wrong answers.

ShortJohnSilver
13th September 2012, 06:47 PM
Thought this was common knowledge ... even ABC News covered it 12 years ago...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UFKMPFGgIdw

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything "

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Jordan alleged his rejection from the police force was discrimination. He sued the city, saying his civil rights were violated because he was denied equal protection under the law.

But the U.S. District Court found that New London had “shown a rational basis for the policy.” In a ruling dated Aug. 23, the 2nd Circuit agreed. The court said the policy might be unwise but was a rational way to reduce job turnover.

Jordan has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

slowbell
13th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Towards the end of the whole 'process' before academy, I had the psych exam interview based upon hundreds of questions, and a review of an IQ aptitude test I had taken.

They flat out told me, that they were concerned because I had scored very high on those tests. I asked why, and they told me they thought I'd get bored with the job. I always thought that answer was BS. Interesting thread.

LuckyStrike
13th September 2012, 11:04 PM

IMO, that is it 100%.

If you look at cops and military like I do, as enforcers for the state. An enforcer doesn't need to understand or question, they just need to follow orders, end of story.

We pay our taxes and abide by the laws because we ultimately do not want to be arrested or killed for not doing them, if it wasn't for the military and police everyone would tell congress to shove these BS laws right up their ass..... but you can't, because of the police and military.

midnight rambler
19th September 2012, 01:56 PM
article from '99 -

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-connecticut-judge-rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html

Blink
19th September 2012, 02:57 PM
article from '99 -

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/nyregion/metro-news-briefs-connecticut-judge-rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html

I've read that somewhere else, but, the article I read stated the reasoning was that lower IQ officers tended to be "lifers" while the more intelligent ones would eventually leave, taking all the "expensive" taxpayer training with them. Like they have ever given a sh*t about wasting taxpayer money before. Jeeesuz, what lame reasoning. They want thugs/enforcers................

chad
19th September 2012, 03:02 PM
not an iq thing, but i had a friend from iowa who out to nyc about 10 years ago. very smart guy, marine, etc. took the test, passed highly + went in for his 1 on 1 interview. the interview lady, a black woman, openly laughed at him and told him "we'll never hire you, you're a white guy." he tried 4 times and eventually gave up.