PDA

View Full Version : Disgusting! Terrifying way to discipline children...

Osiris
13th September 2012, 07:27 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/opinion/sunday/a-terrifying-way-to-discipline-children.html

IN my public school 40 years ago, teachers didn’t lay their hands on students for bad behavior. They sent them to the principal’s office. But in today’s often overcrowded and underfunded schools, where one in eight students receive help for special learning needs, the use of physical restraints and seclusion rooms has become a common way to maintain order.
Enlarge This Image

Ward Zwart
It’s a dangerous development, as I know from my daughter’s experience. At the age of 5, she was kept in a seclusion room for up to an hour at a time over the course of three months, until we discovered what was happening. The trauma was severe.

According to national*Department of Education*data, most of the nearly 40,000 students who were restrained or isolated in seclusion rooms during the 2009-10 school year had learning, behavioral, physical or developmental needs, even though students with those issues represented just 12 percent of the student population. African-American and Hispanic students were also disproportionately isolated or restrained.

Joseph Ryan, an expert on the use of restraints who teaches at Clemson University, told me that the practice of isolating and restraining problematic children originated in schools for children with special needs. It migrated to public schools in the 1970s as federal laws mainstreamed special education students, but without the necessary oversight or staff training. “It’s a quick way to respond but it’s not effective in changing behaviors,” he said.

State laws on disciplining students vary widely, and there are no federal laws restricting these practices, although earlier this year Education Secretary Arne Duncan wrote, in a federal guide for schools, that there was “no evidence that using restraint or seclusion is effective.” He recommended evidence-based behavioral interventions and de-escalation techniques instead.

The use of restraints and seclusion has become far more routine than it should be. “They’re the last resort too often being used as the first resort,” said Jessica Butler, a lawyer in Washington who has written about seclusion in public schools.

Among the recent instances that have attracted attention: Children in Middletown, Conn., told their parents that there was a “scream room” in their school where they could hear other children who had been locked away; last December, Sandra Baker of Harrodsburg, Ky., found her fourth-grade son, Christopher, who had misbehaved, stuffed inside a duffel bag, its drawstrings pulled tight, and left outside his classroom. He was “thrown in the hall like trash,” she told me. And in April,*Corey Foster, a 16-year-old with learning disabilities, died on a school basketball court in Yonkers, N.Y., as four staff members restrained him following a confrontation during a game. The medical examiner ruled early last month that the death was from cardiac arrest resulting from the student’s having an enlarged heart, and no charges were filed.

I saw firsthand the impact of these practices six years ago when my daughter, Rose, started kindergarten in Lexington, Mass. Rose had speech and language delays. Although she sometimes became overwhelmed more quickly than other children, she was called “a model of age-appropriate behavior” by her preschool. One evaluation said Rose was “happy, loves school, is social.” She could, however, “get fidgety and restless when she is unsure as to what is expected of her. When comfortable, Rose is a very participatory and appropriate class member with a great deal to contribute to her world.”

Once in kindergarten, Rose began throwing violent tantrums at home. She repeatedly watched a scene from the film “Finding Nemo” in which a shark batters its way into a tiny room, attempting to eat the main characters. The school provided no explanation or solution. Finally, on Jan. 6, 2006, a school aide called saying that Rose had taken off her clothes. We needed to come get her.

At school, her mother and I found Rose standing alone on the cement floor of a basement mop closet, illuminated by a single light bulb. There was nothing in the closet for a child — no chair, no books, no crayons, nothing but our daughter standing naked in a pool of urine, looking frightened as she tried to cover herself with her hands. On the floor lay her favorite purple-striped Hanna Andersson outfit and panties.

Rose got dressed and we removed her from the school. We later learned that Rose had been locked in the closet five times that morning. She said that during the last confinement, she needed to use the restroom but didn’t want to wet her outfit. So she disrobed. Rather than help her, the school called us and then covered the narrow door’s small window with a file folder, on which someone had written “Don’t touch!”

We were told that Rose had been in the closet almost daily for three months, for up to an hour at a time. At first, it was for behavior issues, but later for not following directions. Once in the closet, Rose would pound on the door, or scream for help, staff members said, and once her hand was slammed in the doorjamb while being locked inside.

At the time, I notified the Lexington Public Schools, the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families and the Department of Mental Health about Rose and other children in her class whom school staff members indicated had been secluded. If any of these agencies conducted a formal investigation, I was not made aware of it.

Rose still has nightmares and other symptoms of severe stress. We brought an action against the Lexington Public Schools, which we settled when the school system agreed to pay for the treatment Rose needed to recover from this trauma.

The physical and psychological injuries to children as a consequence of this disciplinary system is an issue that has found its way to Congress. Legislation to ban these practices has been introduced in the House and the Senate, but no vote is expected this year.

Meanwhile, Rose is back in public school and has found it within her to forgive those involved in her case. “They weren’t bad people,” she told me. “They just didn’t know about working with children.”

-And in April,*Corey Foster, a 16-year-old with learning disabilities, died on a school basketball court in Yonkers, N.Y., as four staff members restrained him following a confrontation during a game. The medical examiner ruled early last month that the death was from cardiac arrest resulting from the student’s having an enlarged heart, and no charges were filed.-

That is disgusting! If the incident hadn't happened it wouldn't matter if his heart was enlarged or not. People need to be held personally responsible, if people are not, behavior like this will only continue!*

-"The physical and psychological injuries to children as a consequence of this disciplinary system is an issue that has found its way to Congress. Legislation to ban these practices has been introduced in the House and the Senate, but no vote is expected this year."-

Are you fucking kidding me? This is torture and no vote is needed!!!! If people were more aware of this type of thing all hell would break loose. But no, put a little article in the NY times and that is sufficient. If this isn't all over mainstream media it is a disgrace!!!

-
Meanwhile, Rose is back in public school and has found it within her to forgive those involved in her case. “They weren’t bad people,” she told me. “They just didn’t know about working with children.”-

Give me a break!!! They weren't bad people but didn't know about working with children???? Then why the fuck are they working with children? They chose a career of working with children yet don't care about them or know anything about them? Let alone, it doesn't take a fucking genius to figure out that that is not an okay thing to do!!! You can't be taught how to be e normal human being with caring feelings about other humans beings!!!!

midnight rambler
13th September 2012, 07:58 PM
The collectivist corporate state can do *whatever* 'it' wants with its property (human resources). That's why they don't need a vote and why there's ultimately no remedy or recourse. People need to get a clue about this and act accordingly, otherwise they just need to STFU and get over it 'cause that's their lot in life.

"All civilized systems of law have remedy and recourse." --Howard Freeman

Twisted Titan
13th September 2012, 08:29 PM
Sandra Baker of Harrodsburg, Ky., found her fourth-grade son, Christopher, who had misbehaved, stuffed inside a duffel bag, its drawstrings pulled tight, and left outside his classroom.

Stuff my kid in a duffel bag.......... Im stuffing you in a body bag.

See how that works?

Neuro
14th September 2012, 04:10 AM
What's next? Water boarding?

k-os
14th September 2012, 06:05 AM
Kids are being treated like this in public schools, and we wonder why there are so many cases of ADD, ADHD, depression, bi-polar disorder, etc.?

gunDriller
14th September 2012, 06:34 AM
one of the most horrifying ways i've seen parents 'discipline' their children is to lift them off the ground by the ears.

i saw it once at a KFC and exploded. the father (who did the lifting) waited for me to finish & said "only in California".

TheNocturnalEgyptian
14th September 2012, 01:51 PM
All this will do is make a generation of students that hate authority to the bone.

StreetsOfGold
14th September 2012, 03:50 PM
Reading, writing and arithmetic all taught to the tune of the hickory stick.

Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

TheNocturnalEgyptian
14th September 2012, 04:47 PM
Your tax dollars pay to lock a strangers child in a barren room.

It doesn't sound like they are being taught reading, writing, or arithmetic.

It sounds like they're being locked in an isolation room.

That's not teaching.

Steal
14th September 2012, 05:10 PM
Have to say, raising kids without 'corporal punishment' is challenging. I do take privlieges away and mostly try and reason with her. Have yet to smack or spank her and she is 5. I was raised under the lash of my fathers belt , daily during vietnam erra. Promised myself I would never get that way and have been true. Really agree with what Stephan has to say on this subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCZ0hSHxCM

zap
14th September 2012, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Steal;573437]Have to say, raising kids without 'corporal punishment' is challenging. I do take privlieges away and mostly try and reason with her. Have yet to smack or spank her and she is 5. I was raised under the lash of my fathers belt , daily during vietnam erra. Promised myself I would never get that way and have been true. Really agree with what Stephan has to say on this subject.

Nice Steal ! remember you are smarter then she is ! I have only spanked mine a handful of times, I have to remember not to get mad at her, we just be a little bit smarter and wiser.

Osiris
14th September 2012, 09:47 PM
I haven't had time to watch the video yet but I have heard him on the subject before. And thanks for the video! My parents never laid a hand on me, a look from my mother was enough for me to be scared shitless. I don't necessarily disagree with spanking, just saying that it can be handled in other ways. I for one would encourage spanking with some of the children I have seen in public, however, they act like that for a reason.... I don't have kids but I have smacked my dog before out of pure frustration and after the fact I was disappointed in myself. It is my fault he doesn't listen like I want him to so I think it is unfair to treat him badly because of my failure in training. I need lessons from god... :)

madfranks
15th September 2012, 11:22 AM
Reading, writing and arithmetic all taught to the tune of the hickory stick.

Proverbs 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

There is a big, big difference between spanking a child and locking them in an isolated room.

Gaillo
15th September 2012, 11:29 AM
There is a big, big difference between spanking a child and locking them in an isolated room.

My step father beat the HELL out of me when I misbehaved, my real father never lifted a finger against me, he only talked to me and occasionally yelled... then "grounded" me by locking me in my room. I was very well behaved when living with my step father, I was a delinquent, thief, vandal, and disrespectful of my parents and teachers when living with my real father.

Draw your own conclusions.

joboo
15th September 2012, 11:35 AM
I got a golden metal ruler on the backside on vary rare instances. The fear of that thing was enough to keep things on the straight and narrow. Damn thing was some kind of heavy duty industrial version, and never flexed a bit, so all the energy went straight into your ass. Lol...

Gaillo
15th September 2012, 11:37 AM
I got a golden metal ruler on the backside on vary rare instances. The fear of that thing was enough to keep things on the straight and narrow. Damn thing was some kind of heavy duty industrial version, and never flexed a bit, so all the energy went straight into your ass. Lol...

My step dad used a broom (the handle part, not the brissles)... he broke the broom and had to replace it more than once! ;D

A metal ruler would have saved him some money... ;)

Serpo
15th September 2012, 04:33 PM
The last time I ever got belted by my father is when the belting made me laugh and the more he belted me the more I laughed.That was my last belting.

Cebu_4_2
15th September 2012, 09:17 PM
I have never physically disciplined my son, raised my voice a couple times and that is it. Since he was a little kid have always spoken to him as an adult and not a child. I have never lied to him or enticed him with bullshit to have him do what I wanted. Treat others as you would want to be treated. I have never grounded him either. His mother constantly grounds him for the stupidest things and he resents it. He now resides with me. We have no issues and no problems, he does chores on his own and never even mentions it. You guys can go beat your kids all you want but what that does is not bring respect from respect but brings respect from not being beaten. If the kid is intelligent then I feel there is no need to beat them, now if they are not intelligent that may be a different scenario... but I wouldn't know about that stuff.

Mouse
15th September 2012, 09:40 PM
The last time I ever got belted by my father is when the belting made me laugh and the more he belted me the more I laughed.That was my last belting.

Same here. Then the threat became "I will put you through that wall over there with this fist". So, I simmered down a bit. I left home when I was 16 or 17.

Osiris
15th September 2012, 09:45 PM
There is another point, from mouse, who that had hands layed on them still have great relationships with those parents?

MNeagle
15th September 2012, 09:53 PM
There is another point, from mouse, who that had hands layed on them still have great relationships with those parents?

can only happen with the decision of forgiveness

madfranks
16th September 2012, 07:25 AM
My step father beat the HELL out of me when I misbehaved, my real father never lifted a finger against me, he only talked to me and occasionally yelled... then "grounded" me by locking me in my room. I was very well behaved when living with my step father, I was a delinquent, thief, vandal, and disrespectful of my parents and teachers when living with my real father.

Draw your own conclusions.

Regarding the OP, a little girl, naked in a barren concrete closet with no window, is far more traumatizing than being grounded in your room, a familiar place where your stuff is and you have a bed, a window, etc.

I think it's true that the proper form of discipline for children varies as much as the children themselves. For some kids, a spanking or the threat of one, is deterrent enough, while for other kids, being grounded does the trick.